• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR Listed For $800 On Amazon Canada Pre-Order Page (Link removed)

Roitorb

Do you think there will be ps4+vr bundle as I don't know wether to get the ps4 now and the vr after to keep costs down.

Unless you have some secret source at Sony, we don't know anything at the moment.

But the question still stands. It's fine to speculate but does anyone actually think its going to be $800? Oculus rift which sports higher resolution, higher pixel dense screen and is made for high end PC costs $599. Knowing the price of higher end VR product are we really going to believe a grasping-at-straws blurb from Forbes, about a placeholder price for PSVR at $800? Not arguing whether this is threadworthy, just stating the obvious as to why this price point is highly unlikely

I thought Sony said they are going to price VR around the price of console. If they price more than $400 - that would definitely hurt their sales.

krang

How are people still not understanding this? Lol, it's $800 US.

I would be shocked if they charged anywhere near that much.

This is the thread title:

PS VR Listed For $800 On Amazon Canada Pre-Order Page (Link removed)

You can see how people jumped to the conclusion that the $800 price is CAD.

Why exactly is this thread still alive, its clearly an unofficial placeholder price.

I suppose it's good for those who want to rub their hands together at the thought PSVR will be dearer than rift when I'm willing to bet it will be quite a bit cheaper.

Z3M0G

$800 CDN is cheaper than Oculus at least.

Amazon Canada page is circulating showing a $1,125.35 price for PlayStation VR, which translates to just over $800 USD.

...oh... oh god...

krang

I thought Sony said they are going to price VR around the price of console. If they price more than $400 - that would definitely hurt their sales.

The clue is in the wording. If it was likely to be the same price or less than a console, they would have said "no more than...". Instead they said "Around the price of...", which suggests to me it'll be more expensive than the PS4 at launch.

BumRush

I'm thinking $800 isn't the price of it. Just a wild hunch. We did just discover volcano sharks though so who knows.

Megatron

$800 for a ps4 with vr packed in is even too much, let alone just. The vr. Hopefully they can hit closer to $600 for that.

demigod

Secondly, Sony said they will be pricing it like a new console, but they didn't say it will be priced like their previous consoles. They will price it as they see fit, and if they believe they have forefront technology, they won't sell it at a discount.

This is not to say that Sony is charging $800 for the PSVR, but to show that, just like Palmer Lucky, you can't just accept clues to what a company says as truth before a company announces a price.

Sony can profit from their games, so they dont have to profit from the headset like oculus/vive.

Everyone saw through Luckey's bullshit and knew it was not going to be priced at $349.

Sony can profit from their games, so they dont have to profit from the headset like oculus/vive.

Everyone saw through Luckey's bullshit and knew it was not going to be priced at $349.

I've posted this a bunch of times but its not that easy. Sony isn't going to sell this at a loss.

The market is too small for this product for them to make it all back on licensing fees. They also need to make back the cash on R&D. If you throw a ton of money into R&D on a first generation product, you try and make a massive dent in it out of the gate. You do that via a high early adopter price not through a low entry. A low entry price also removes your ability to lower prices to drive sales in the future.

This isn't a console like scenario. The market is really small.

Tigress

I'll be ready to pronounce it dead on arrival if it is 800 dollars. Shoot I assumed Occulus could get away with a higher price cause the market they are more going at and people were upset at 600. Nevermind Sony's whose market is not as aimed at high end.

That would be fine for a bundle with camera, 2 Moves etc.

On the high side for just the headset.

I really doubt it comes with 2 Move controllers at 399$ US.

At 399$, i see the headset and camera, not much. Maybe there will be premium bundle that include more stuff.

I just hope Sony doesn't price the thing too much, it's already expensive as it is and i want to save money to buy a couple of games.

KHarvey16

He specifically said it wouldn't be $349.

Also Oculus has stated their goal is to make money on selling VR content and because of that, are selling the rift hardware at cost.

HTC is the most interesting one here given the state of the company. They've also tried to present the product as higher end, so most expect it to be a bit more than the Rift. If HTC intends to make money on the hardware it might be a lot more than the rift.

According to the outrage on the OR pricing thread, it seems like very few people saw through Luckey's bullshit.

I'm just trying to keep people's expectations low for the price of the PSVR. I see people quoting outrageously cheap prices for it, and it's absurd. Good VR will not be cheap for several more iterations. Sony is not immune to this fact simply because they sell software.

Also, to people saying that Sony knows it needs to be cheap for people to buy it or it will be DOA, it didn't stop them from selling stand alone Bluray players for $1000+ for the first year and a half of the platform's life, and that was even with a competitor nipping at its heels(HDDVD).

DryvBy

That would be the most foolish mistake they could make. More foolish than $599 PS3 with the comments that followed.

demigod

I've posted this a bunch of times but its not that easy. Sony isn't going to sell this at a loss.

This isn't a console like scenario. The market is really small.

Who says they have to sell it at a loss? They can sell it at break even price. Whats your price guess again?

BadWolf

Also, to people saying that Sony knows it needs to be cheap for people to buy it or it will be DOA, it didn't stop them from selling stand alone Bluray players for $1000+ for the first year and a half of the platform's life, and that was even with a competitor nipping at its heels(HDDVD).

They sold PS3s for $600 which cost them over $800 to make.

I really doubt it comes with 2 Move controllers at 399$ US.

At 399$, i see the headset and camera, not much. Maybe there will be premium bundle that include more stuff.

I just hope Sony doesn't price the thing too much, it's already expensive as it is and i want to save money to buy a couple of games.

Aren't Moves dirt cheap though?

They will have to take a small hit since PSVR does require a camera+2 Moves for the full experience.

Ensoul

Won't be that much but I assume the $800.00 price that was shown won't be all that far off from the actual price.

GAF > Forbes Contributor > GAF

The FUD is real. Welcome to the real. Yes, "Forbes" caught the price listing. The almighty "Forbes" was waiting there when it went up and it went down and they took screenshots and calculated the price within 5 minutes.

Yes, "Forbes" did it all.

This thread is nonsense. I actually despise these "Forbes" articles now. There's already a million threads about VR, and we needed another one discussing this when it was already discussed.

GAF > Fuck Forbes > GAF

Who says they have to sell it at a loss? They can sell it at break even price. Whats your price guess again?

$500 including camera and move. $400 for just headset. This way they can say they launched it a console price at $400 even though you've already paid in for the camera and move.

The real headline price will be $500. The external processing box will keep the ASP on this up.

And they are still hurting financially and a ghost of what they were in the marketplace because of it. They had to sell off most their assets including property/buildings and close most of their retail stores, laying off all the employees just to stay afloat because of decisions like that. Today's Sony cannot afford to be that foolish anymore.

Also, note that I said "stand alone" Bluray players. I was working at Best Buy during that period and couldn't keep the ps3 in stock because the home theater department kept selling them as a cheap Bluray player.

krae_man

To be fair $1100 Canadian is like $3.50 US now :(

I am so not buying any expensive electronics until our currency recovers.

They will have to take a small hit since PSVR does require a camera+2 Moves for the full experience.

Sony said they won't price a product at a loss again, which is why I have my price point set.

BadWolf

And they are still hurting financially and a ghost of what they were in the marketplace because of it. They had to sell off most their assets just to stay afloat because of decisions like that. Today's Sony cannot afford to be that foolish anymore.

Yes they learned their lesson well and made the PS4.

Can't see why they won't do the same with PSVR, making it with a set price in mind.

They will have to make a small hit since PSVR does require a camera+2 Moves for the full experience.

The base experience doesn't require the Move controllers. Sure they add more immersion but the DS4 is enough for the base experience and good enough for most people i guess. On the other hand, the headset and camera are absolutely necessary to play VR games which is why i think this will be the base model at 399$ US.

But you know what, i'm just speculating. We have no real idea what the final price will be. Sony are planning an all VR event on GDC in March. My guess is, this is where they will announce their plans for VR, games, price, release date etc. and pre-orders will probably start around that time.

demigod

$500 including camera and move. $400 for just headset. This way they can say they launched it a console price at $400 even though you've already paid in for the camera and move.

The real headline price will be $500. The external processing box will keep the ASP on this up.

That sounds reasonable. Mine would be $349 just for headset. I'll buy it at $399 but anything more than they can go eff themselves.

BadWolf

The base experience doesn't require the Move controllers. Sure they add more immersion but the DS4 is enough for the base experience and good enough for most people i guess. On the other hand, the headset and camera are absolutely necessary to play VR games which is why i think this will be the base model at 399$ US.

That's true and I myself will probably just get the headset at first but the experience that they are selling at shows and demos, the full experience, definitely requires the Moves as well. They are a huge part of the immersion factor that they are trying to push with VR.

Top Bottom