• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR Unboxings

n0razi

I just realized that I have this on preorder (Amazon)... its coming in this month and I don't even have a PS4 since I sold my OG and waiting for Pro =/

Hmmm, I am suddenly having second thoughts on whether to get a PSVR or to get a PS4 Pro.

Both... I thought everyone was getting a Pro because of PSVR?

Shoeless

This is actually the first time i'm having this dilemma, I want to cancel my pre-order because I want to play it safe and would like to get the second gen version, but my WIFE actually want me to get this thing.

yes the wife told me to keep the pre-order so that she can play that "shark" game thing.. haha

My wife is a dinosaur fan, so Robinson: The Journey is what sold her on it.

Kyne

This is actually the first time i'm having this dilemma, I want to cancel my pre-order because I want to play it safe and would like to get the second gen version, but my WIFE actually want me to get this thing.

yes the wife told me to keep the pre-order so that she can play that "shark" game thing.. haha

your wife wants you to spend $400 so that she can stand still and look around <.<?

GOOD Wireless VR can't come soon enough.

I knew what you meant, I was being a bit facetious. The problem is how you define "good": once wire-free VR is where PSVR is today, tethered VR will be using foveated rendering on 4k screens (actual timing may vary, but my point stands).

Wired will always push ahead of wireless, so what we'd define as good today will be just as inferior to wired solutions in the future.

0racle

OK, this thread and the logic side of the brain convinced me.

Pre order cancelled.

I am excited for the tech and thats it. there is no software besides driveclub that im interested in, it is WAY WAY WAY to expensive for the masses to adopt which means little support in the future ( or a massive price drop in the future ) and im left with an expensive paper weight for the time being.

regardless of how cool this is, if someone like me, who has disposable income ( not brag post...) and im sucker for all things tech is having second thoughts, its almost a guarantee based on my life experiences and outlook that this will fall flat.

I have played it, it does what it sets out to do but there is just too many things holding it back to prevent it from getting legs.

cakely

We asked Sony reps and they told us that the game didn't have the head tracking feature at the moment. Maybe after launch with some patch.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

0racle

You can count on it. There's already a shortage and I don't see that changing much (if at all) in two weeks.

shortage on buy now think later buyers like many of us. And the people who buy it are people like us, arguably the extreme end of impulsive tech/gaming geeks. mom/dads/general public isnt going to buy at retail, let alone artificially inflated prices that we created.

I don't mean this in any kind of dig on VR, I'm super psyched to get a PSVR set next year once I can afford one, but god DAMN the image on the box of the dude wearing the headset is the fucking goofiest looking thing ever. Head twisted up and to his left, mouth slightly open and not smiling, arms/hands outstretched in the opposite direction he's "looking", just... come on man hahahahahahahaha

Rodelero

I hope you guys like it and it sells well but i am really worried this 1rst gen "Chair-VR" is going to damage VR moving forward.

To explain myself, the only reason VR survives is if it provides experiences that cannot be had on a tradition screen. Why? Well that is because playing traditional games on a 2d screen is an objectively better method than the same experience in VR.

For example, playing something like uncharted 4 in vr is a novelty, not a platform, and that novelty wears off fast. I own a Vive and can attest to how fast playing traditional games in VR gets annoying. Its easier and more comfortable to play then on a tv.

VR can provide experiences that are completely unique to the platform though (Budget Cuts, Onward, Call of Starseed, Rec Room, Raw Data, etc), and it is these experiences that justify the devices in the minds of early adopters.

My fear is that Sony, in their haste, has jumped into VR with a version that plays to VRs weakness, not strength. PSVR will reach a lot more people than it's bigger brothers but will do so in a half assed package. The novelty of non room scale, non cockpit, games likely will wear off really quick, and in the minds of the mainstream VR will be a bust. Thus destroying the industry before it can grow.

Tldr: PSVR is the weakest of the three VR headsets (no roomscale), but will get the most visibility. If it fails it might doom the great roomscale headsets, and VRs future, due to Sony's bad decisions.

This post is incredibly out of touch.

The reality of the situation is that, right now, no-one really knows if VR is going to take off as a mainstream success. What is eminently clear is that both the Vive, and the Oculus Rift, which you refer to as 'great roomscale headsets' are not going to achieve mainstream success. In fact, given how poor the sales of the devices now seem to be, I think the bigger question is whether the VR market bubble might implode due to lack of consumer interest. The reality, for the vast majority of people is that the Vive and Oculus Rift are incredibly expensive, even if you have the high-end PC to start with, and roomscale VR is hugely impractical, if not impossible, for a lot of people.

If nothing changes, the VR market looks like it will stagnate, if not collapse. Most VR development right now is speculative, so if VR games don't find market success, you can expect to see a lot of those developers changing focus or simply disappearing. PSVR doing badly won't doom the high end PC VR devices, because arguably they're already doomed - a successful PSVR might save the Vive and Rift however. Developers are much more likely to keep creating titles for your Vive and Rift if there is an install base of several million PSVR owners there too.

The ideal scenario is that the VR market splits just as the traditional gaming one does. A mainstream device which is relatively affordable and reasonably good quality, and a high end device which costs a lot but delivers the highest fidelity, with the vast majority of content produced for both the low end and high end. I'm really unsure whether this will actually happen, but I hope it does. Right now my head says that it won't and that VR will slump, at least until some massive new innovation, but from what I have seen and played of VR, I hope it does succeed.

As a final note, you state that traditional games are objectively best on screens, which I don't think is always true. Some types of traditional games, like driving games, are significantly more immersive in VR, even if you do lose out on the image quality. You also seem to believe that most of PSVR games are simply traditional games being converted to VR, which is completely untrue. The vast majority of PSVR games are clearly designed from the ground up with VR in mind.

jadedm17

I know I'm weak but this is making me really regret cancelling my pre-order. There are still retailers in the UK selling them with launch day delivery...I have to be strong. :(

Why did you cancel weeks before? Major retailers - such as my Amazon order - charge when they ship, meaning I still have another ~9 days to cancel my order placed in March.
I'm not.
Most places have generous return policies too : You could have tried it a few days and then returned it.

No, why? Did they have an even better VR image!?!

Edit: OH MY GOD

That's the one. I'm surprised that Sony were able to find enough goofiness for that PSVR box image; I thought Palmer Luckey had used up the entire world supply of goof for that magazine cover.

Amazingly he does have bigger things to be ashamed about, what a guy!

Man... Watching these unboxing videos reminds me of the Vita launch. I was so BEYOND sold on it that I shelled out upwards of $500 for the "get it first" edition or whatever they called it, along with a memory card and a bunch of games. I loved everything about the Vita and I was convinced it was the future of handheld gaming! Then... I got bored of it rather quickly, memory cards never got cheaper, and the "revolutionary" features like PS3 remote-play and AAA handheld games stopped coming.

I'll wait patiently and see how PSVR pans out before I buy another PS4 to get it, but I'm hoping it's a game-changer in the way we thought Vita would be. Please be good, please be good, please be good.

If this can give me even 75% of the enjoyment I got out of my Vita it will be well worth the cost.

If this can give me even 75% of the enjoyment I got out of my Vita it will be well worth the cost.

I'm not saying that it won't be a worthwhile investment, just that I'm cautiously optimistic about how it will perform overall. I think the PS Vita is a fantastic handheld, it just didn't light the world on fire.

Teknoman

The problem with other VR headsets is that there havent been any big franchises behind it or even big name devs. Once they start making actual content (Resident Evil 7 being full VR is a pretty big step forward) then we can really make judgments.

JP

Why did you cancel weeks before? Major retailers - such as my Amazon order - charge when they ship, meaning I still have another ~9 days to cancel my order placed in March.
I'm not.
Most places have generous return policies too : You could have tried it a few days and then returned it.
Why wouldn't I do that? Why would you need to know why I would do that? What's going on?

DavidDesu

I hope you guys like it and it sells well but i am really worried this 1rst gen "Chair-VR" is going to damage VR moving forward.

To explain myself, the only reason VR survives is if it provides experiences that cannot be had on a tradition screen. Why? Well that is because playing traditional games on a 2d screen is an objectively better method than the same experience in VR.

For example, playing something like uncharted 4 in vr is a novelty, not a platform, and that novelty wears off fast. I own a Vive and can attest to how fast playing traditional games in VR gets annoying. Its easier and more comfortable to play then on a tv.

VR can provide experiences that are completely unique to the platform though (Budget Cuts, Onward, Call of Starseed, Rec Room, Raw Data, etc), and it is these experiences that justify the devices in the minds of early adopters.

My fear is that Sony, in their haste, has jumped into VR with a version that plays to VRs weakness, not strength. PSVR will reach a lot more people than it's bigger brothers but will do so in a half assed package. The novelty of non room scale, non cockpit, games likely will wear off really quick, and in the minds of the mainstream VR will be a bust. Thus destroying the industry before it can grow.

Tldr: PSVR is the weakest of the three VR headsets (no roomscale), but will get the most visibility. If it fails it might doom the great roomscale headsets, and VRs future, due to Sony's bad decisions.

And I'm worried that no one besides Sony has made a VR headset that is actually comfortable to wear and really practical to use, a pretty huge concern for the mass marketability and growing the popularity of VR methinks, having a headset that doesn't give you headaches (not from motion sickness, but purely from having a big thing clinging on to your face uncomfortably).

VR has plenty of potential, indeed most of its early potential in more stationary experiences. PSVR can still do standing up with limited movement in a space, probably as much as some people have with their own personal Vive setups. VR has a long way to go before room scale becomes a thing, if it ever will. Working within certain confines will only help focus the minds of devs and bring us cool unique experiences based on those limitations. Trying to design a game around room scale is going to be a minefield and will still need systems in place to deal with going up or down, or going further afield than whatever room size you're in, why can't all these systems not work with more limited VR just as well.

I have a question. My current gaming setup means I have to play on the dinner table. That also means that I every night, I have to take the monitor and PS4 off of the dinner table and put it on a small table off to the side. I'm thinking that getting VR with all of those wires in the way would be quite a pain in this situation, but I'm not entirely sure if I need to remove all the wires or if I could just keep everything connected and take everything together and move it that way. Basically, what I am asking is if VR would be worth it in this situation (this is why I canceled my preorder because I wasn't sure). Thanks for any input.

DavidDesu

I have a question. My current gaming setup means I have to play on the dinner table. That also means that I every night, I have to take the monitor and PS4 off of the dinner table and put it on a small table off to the side. I'm thinking that getting VR with all of those wires in the way would be quite a pain in this situation, but I'm not entirely sure if I need to remove all the wires or if I could just keep everything connected and take everything together and move it that way. Basically, what I am asking is if VR would be worth it in this situation (this is why I canceled my preorder because I wasn't sure). Thanks for any input.

Well remember you don't need your tv in a central location, and I believe it should be possible to use the entirety of the PS4 system menus and games in the virtual screen mode. You just need the camera set up looking at wherever you're sitting/standing and can keep everything else where it is.

WoolyNinja

People saying they're going to cancel, what games did you try? I played Battlezone once and it was enough to convince me this is the future and I need to get it immediately. My brain was almost instantly tricked into thinking I was in that tank. It was bananas. Since then I've continued to see more and more games that look like a lot of fun, the latest one being SportsBarVR.

What exactly was everyone expecting? There's already more (what appear to be) quality titles at PSVRs launch than there has been for any console launch. So what made you preorder in the first place if you only now are deciding to cancel?

Qwark

I want to start seeing some actual game reviews. I've got the headset preordered but I have no idea what games to get with it. Maybe I'll just stick to the demo disc and Worlds for the time being.

WoolyNinja

I want to start seeing some actual game reviews. I've got the headset preordered but I have no idea what games to get with it. Maybe I'll just stick to the demo disc and Worlds for the time being.

I'm definitely waiting to buy any extra games until I've tried them on the demo disc and see if I can "handle" it.

Damn I need to spend $160 for the camera and move controllers before I even pick up my PSVR? Anything else I need? Ugh this is going to hurt.

novabolt

Do PSVR games have the same sales target like regular games do? I really want a Motor Storm VR game so I don't want DCVR to fail.

Qwark

Damn I need to spend $160 for the camera and move controllers before I even pick up my PSVR? Anything else I need? Ugh this is going to hurt.

You can get the bigger bundle (if you can find it) which includes the camera, 2 moves, and PlayStation Worlds for $500.

ElNino

Do PSVR games have the same sales target like regular games do? I really want a Motor Storm VR game so I don't want DCVR to fail.
Considering that the team that made Motorstorm (and DCVR) aren't part of Sony anymore, I wouldn't hold my breath on MSVR.

Well remember you don't need your tv in a central location, and I believe it should be possible to use the entirety of the PS4 system menus and games in the virtual screen mode. You just need the camera set up looking at wherever you're sitting/standing and can keep everything else where it is.

That's a good point. Only thing is I need to shift everything at the end of the day (the PS4 and monitor) since the dinner table is used for eating (lol). So I'm wondering if moving the VR unit and all of the wires along with the PS4 and monitor will be a big issue.

Also, about 2 feet of distance from the camera should be good right?

VanWinkle

Wow, that looks like a quality product. I'll probably wait at least a year and see what the VR landscape is like before I consider whether I want to buy it.

People saying they're going to cancel, what games did you try? I played Battlezone once and it was enough to convince me this is the future and I need to get it immediately. My brain was almost instantly tricked into thinking I was in that tank. It was bananas. Since then I've continued to see more and more games that look like a lot of fun, the latest one being SportsBarVR.

What exactly was everyone expecting? There's already more (what appear to be) quality titles at PSVRs launch than there has been for any console launch. So what made you preorder in the first place if you only now are deciding to cancel?
Well, 700 cdn + camera and controllers is a lot of money to feel like im in a tank in a videogame if support isn't heavy.

Ammogeddon

I have PSVR on preorder with Game but not the first allocation. I'm still a bit hesitant as I've heard mixed options about the resolution, some even commenting it's similar to 3DS!!

I'm still letting myself get carried away with what is being shown on the TV feed is the same as what the headset is putting out. I know the headset has a lot more work to do but was wondering..... on a scale of 1 to 10 how close are the graphics to each other?

You can get the bigger bundle (if you can find it) which includes the camera, 2 moves, and PlayStation Worlds for $500.
I think I'm going to hit one of those midnight Best Buy things but I'm not sure if they are just selling the unit or the bundle. I'm afraid I'm going to have a PSVR but no camera. Not sure how hard those things are to find. I'm in panic mode. Haha!

I don't think you need to go on much of a hunt for that answer. People see new tech, they get excited about said new tech, and they pre-order. Heck, I pre-ordered (and then cancelled) both launch SKU's at Amazon just because there really isn't any downside to doing so. Also, when it comes to games you really made the point already. There appear to be some cool experiences at launch for PSVR, but no one knows yet how well those will really hold up once you can play them at home.

I'm happy for anyone who's picking this up at launch, but I don't think those who cancelled their pre-orders are crazy for doing so either.

Moreche

I have PSVR on preorder with Game but not the first allocation. I'm still a bit hesitant as I've heard mixed options about the resolution, some even commenting it's similar to 3DS!!

I'm still letting myself get carried away with what is being shown on the TV feed is the same as what the headset is putting out. I know the headset has a lot more work to do but was wondering..... on a scale of 1 to 10 how close are the graphics to each other?
This is my problem and I think Sonys problem too.
I now see why VR needs to be tried rather than seen. If the headset resolution is like 3DS then I'm out.

bumpkin

I had a bundle on preorder when they first went up, heard about the alleged gimping on OG PS4 hardware and decided to cancel it. Then I got to try the demos at Best Buy and wished I still had the preorder afterwards.

Oh well, I'll probably just hold out for a few months and see how it's doing next year... Maybe the price will drop 6 or 8 months after launch. I guess it depends if the adoption rate stays steady or tapers sharply after release.

DOWN

Banned
I'm gonna cancel my Amazon order because of the price but I'll hopefully get one in Spring. Getting a Pro for now instead

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
How can we go about this?

I have a preorder on the line for the launch bundle that I'm on the cusp of canceling. I want someone here to get it rather than throwing it back into the abyss wherein some poacher picks it up and ruins Christmas for someone.
Exchange details with someone. Ask for paypal payment and you ship the item when you receive it. Or better yet, change the shipping details to their address.

Post up on the for sale thread.

Top Bottom