• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

alf717

I went ahead and ordered an enclosure case for my BD-ROM drive, and I should get it this coming Wednesday. Hopefully the drive will work & play ps1 games without any issue.

I understand what you mean, but it's not like I'm planning on getting rid of any of my Playstation systems. :)
I just like the idea of being able to play ps1 games with nicer visuals on my TV. Besides, I still have another ps2 hooked up to a smaller CRT that is used mainly for light gun gaming.

Wow, I didn't even know this was a thing! After I read your post, I've been researching on what is the best/easiest way to softmod a ps2. Sadly I don't have any of the software that's required to install FMCB, nor do I have the recommended game for the swap trick (Funny thing is, this past weekend I did pickup a CIB 007 game for a dollar at a pawn shop; but it was Nightfire & not Agent Under Fire).

However I did find out that it's possible to buy a memory card with FMCB already installed. So I also went ahead & bought one for what I feel was a reasonable price. Now I don't have to worry about losing access to my saves off my memory cards. And better yet, whenever I'll decide to play on real hardware, I can transfer my saves back to my memory cards. Thank you everyone, for all the help.

That cool I didn't know people sold them like that. Once you have your card you can also grab a spare PS2 memory card and add FMCB to a fresh card as a back up.

alf717

Looks like I missed out on a gem. EGM and PSExtreme knew their shit back in the day.

bzqunn.png

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
lol

I find the ellipsis on the EGM quote suspicious. Maybe the full text said,

"Crash Bandicoot is stunning, but this is not. Mario 64 is original, but this is garbage. Bubsy 3D climbs back to the top, or at least it tries too, but in the end it just comes crashing down miserably. If you are morbidly curious and want to see a complete disaster, check it out!"

Or maybe EGM has always been shite like I've always said. Probably.

Edit: yeah something ain't right:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubsy_3D#Reception
while Electronic Gaming Monthly gave it a 3.25 out of 10.[8]
I'm really curious to see the full text now... xD

Timu

lol

I find the ellipsis on the EGM quote suspicious. Maybe the full text said,

"Crash Bandicoot is stunning, but this is not. Mario 64 is original, but this is garbage. Bubsy 3D climbs back to the top, or at least it tries too, but in the end it just comes crashing down miserably. If you are morbidly curious and want to see a complete disaster, check it out!"

Or maybe EGM has always been shite like I've always said. Probably.

Edit: yeah something ain't right:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubsy_3D#Reception

I'm really curious to see the full text now... xD
That game is awful, I don't recommend it unless you want to see how bad it truly is, lol.

i forgot about this game!
I didn't since it was one of the earlier PS1 games I played.

Bubsy 3D isn't as bad as people say, if you can get used to the controls... I kind of enjoy it.

Heh, thanks. So that blurb on the game cover is 100% fake. Holy shit, that ought to be illegal for sure. EGM should have sued. xD

No, it's probably from a preview. The three positive quotes on the back of the box from other magazines similarly are probably from previews. Even if the reviews had been positive, reviews wouldn't have been published yet when the game boxes were printed, after all. So my guess is, it's preview writing. Previews are usually positive even for games that don't look great, so the collection of positive quotes makes sense in that respect as well.

Timu

Bubsy 3D isn't as bad as people say, if you can get used to the controls... I kind of enjoy it.
Insanity, the horrible hit detection, awful level design, camera work and dat sound, holy crap there isn't much good with it! It's not the worst game I played, but on the bottom for platformers.

Insanity, the horrible hit detection, awful level design, camera work and dat sound, holy crap there isn't much good with it! It's not the worst game I played, but on the bottom for platformers.

Bubsy 3D is easily on that list of games people exaggerate the "awfulness" of either for comical effect or just to agree with popular opinion, as if that's always right or something (hah!). Another example of a game on this list: Carmageddon 64 for the N64. Fun little game, that, even if it's not amazing.

As for Bubsy 3D, I covered my thoughts on the game a few years ago, and I stand by it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503389 " Platformer(3d). One player, saves (one block). Bubsy 3D is widely despised as one of the worst 3d platformers ever, so my expectations were absolutely bottom of the barrel when I got it. Well, I was quite pleasantly surprised -- Bubsy 3D really is not that bad. The controls are a challenge, for sure -- this is a d-pad only game, as expected for an early PSX title, and the controls really suffer for it. It's too bad that there wasn't a version of this game released on some system with an analog controller, it'd make a huge difference. Also, the controls are slippery so landing on platforms can be tricky. Finally, for the graphics, at the time textures were the new big thing, so the fact that it has lots of shaded polygons instead, with only some that are textured, bothered people. Today this shouldn't be too much of a problem though, it gives the game a different style. The graphics actually are reasonably good. The game has a sharp, clear look that I almost never see in Playstation games -- it almost makes me think it's running in hi-res or something. There are a good number of levels, and there are things to go back and find in them too, after you beat them the first time. Really, once I got used to the game's eccentricities, I found this game to be both fun and quite challenging. It is frustrating and hard so it's easy to give up when you die over and over trying to figure out your way through the complex, jumping-puzzles-between-lots-of-small-moving-platforms-over-bottomless-pits-filled levels. Still though, that kind of thing is both fun as well as frustrating, so it's not all bad. Overall, it's really not that bad. Yes, I can easily see why Mario 64 destroyed it in the press because Bubsy 3D is nothing like that and obviously is much simpler and inferior, but on its own, really, despite some definite flaws, it's a decent game."

Timu

Bubsy 3D is easily on that list of games people exaggerate the "awfulness" of either for comical effect or just to agree with popular opinion, as if that's always right or something (hah!). Another example of a game on this list: Carmageddon 64 for the N64. Fun little game, that, even if it's not amazing.

As for Bubsy 3D, I covered my thoughts on the game a few years ago, and I stand by it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503389 " Platformer(3d). One player, saves (one block). Bubsy 3D is widely despised as one of the worst 3d platformers ever, so my expectations were absolutely bottom of the barrel when I got it. Well, I was quite pleasantly surprised -- Bubsy 3D really is not that bad. The controls are a challenge, for sure -- this is a d-pad only game, as expected for an early PSX title, and the controls really suffer for it. It's too bad that there wasn't a version of this game released on some system with an analog controller, it'd make a huge difference. Also, the controls are slippery so landing on platforms can be tricky. Finally, for the graphics, at the time textures were the new big thing, so the fact that it has lots of shaded polygons instead, with only some that are textured, bothered people. Today this shouldn't be too much of a problem though, it gives the game a different style. The graphics actually are reasonably good. The game has a sharp, clear look that I almost never see in Playstation games -- it almost makes me think it's running in hi-res or something. There are a good number of levels, and there are things to go back and find in them too, after you beat them the first time. Really, once I got used to the game's eccentricities, I found this game to be both fun and quite challenging. It is frustrating and hard so it's easy to give up when you die over and over trying to figure out your way through the complex, jumping-puzzles-between-lots-of-small-moving-platforms-over-bottomless-pits-filled levels. Still though, that kind of thing is both fun as well as frustrating, so it's not all bad. Overall, it's really not that bad. Yes, I can easily see why Mario 64 destroyed it in the press because Bubsy 3D is nothing like that and obviously is much simpler and inferior, but on its own, really, despite some definite flaws, it's a decent game."
Ok, fair enough. The 1st game is so much better and the 2nd game is too even though I don't like that one that much. I just never had any fun with Bubsy 3D.

Timu

i'm so curious about the game now
You can try it out yourself, just don't expect a great game(or a good one in most cases).

The 1st will always be the best though, and the only one worth playing today, and that has issues too. How this franchise went downhill is beyond me.

Well I finally got the time to make a follow up to my previous post. So the enclosure case did come, and my BD-ROM drive works great with it. With that said, after testing some of my ps1 games, I quickly came to the realization that I'm better off ripping the games & not playing them off the disc itself.

I've realized this for a couple of reasons. For one, out of the two emulators that I was looking into using (ePSXe & Retroarch/Mednafen), only ePSXe would be able to play physical CDs. And while it does work, the games I've tried had slight freezes every so often during gameplay. With the games rip to my ssd, those issues do not occur. (Which Khaz had mentioned earlier)
As for my second reason, I'm leaning towards Retroarch/Mednafen as for my main Playstation emulator. Since it supposed to be overall more accurate than ePSXe. However I just recently tested out Powerslave, and while it plays just fine in ePSXe, the game has some glitches when running in Retroarch/Mednafen. So I'm keeping both emulators for now.

Anyways, being able to play games from the disc is not as big of a deal as I thought it would've been. It only takes a few minutes to rip a game, and I'm only going to have two or three games copied at a time. That way, I'm still interacting with my collection when playing my ps1 games on my PC.

That cool I didn't know people sold them like that. Once you have your card you can also grab a spare PS2 memory card and add FMCB to a fresh card as a back up.
Did that as soon as I received the memory card, and I was able to transfer all of my saved games with it. Thanks for letting me know about FMCB. :)

For anyone who is interested, here are some pictures that I've taken showing the differences between the ps2 & PC emulation on my TV. (sorry for the crappy phone images)

PS2:
PC:
PS2:
PC:

Heh, thanks. So that blurb on the game cover is 100% fake. Holy shit, that ought to be illegal for sure. EGM should have sued. xD

That reminds me of advertising in the UK for a terrible sci-fi racer on the PS2 called Jet Ion GP. I can't remember the exact word or quote, but ads for the game attributed a quote from PS2 magazine PSM2 along the lines of "It's amazing..." when in reality the actual line was something along the lines of "It's amazing how bad this game is". They scored it 7/100!

That reminds me of advertising in the UK for a terrible sci-fi racer on the PS2 called Jet Ion GP. I can't remember the exact word or quote, but ads for the game attributed a quote from PS2 magazine PSM2 along the lines of "It's amazing..." when in reality the actual line was something along the lines of "It's amazing how bad this game is". They scored it 7/100!

lmao, that's shady af

You can try it out yourself, just don't expect a great game(or a good one in most cases).

The 1st will always be the best though, and the only one worth playing today, and that has issues too. How this franchise went downhill is beyond me.
While I defend Bubsy 3D, I've never liked the first two games one bit. I know some people (like you here) defend the first one, but I struggle to think of anything good to say about the 2d Bubsy games... I do only have Bubsy 2, and not 1, but based on what I have played of Bubsy 1, it's an annoying game with some bad design decisions, mainly that the game is way, way too fast moving to have one hit deaths, which of course it has. You die constantly in the 2d Bubsy games, and it's not a fun experience at all.

As for Bubsy 2, I know it's considered worse, but the two seem just about equally awful to me... I covered Bubsy 2 in my SNES summaries list, some time back, and had pretty much nothing positive to say.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Morrigan requested EGM's review of Bubsy 3D, here it is, along with Machine Head and Final Doom.

EGM #89 - December 1996.

Final Doom on PS1 is pretty lame. It removes sooo many levels.

If someone MUST play a Doom game on PS1, just make it the original which comes with 2 packed along with 1. I think performance in PS1 Doom sucks, but it is playable.

Timu

While I defend Bubsy 3D, I've never liked the first two games one bit. I know some people (like you here) defend the first one, but I struggle to think of anything good to say about the 2d Bubsy games... I do only have Bubsy 2, and not 1, but based on what I have played of Bubsy 1, it's an annoying game with some bad design decisions, mainly that the game is way, way too fast moving to have one hit deaths, which of course it has. You die constantly in the 2d Bubsy games, and it's not a fun experience at all.

As for Bubsy 2, I know it's considered worse, but the two seem just about equally awful to me... I covered Bubsy 2 in my SNES summaries list, some time back, and had pretty much nothing positive to say.
Bubsy 1 I admit is challenging and has issues, but I was able to beat it and still has more interesting level designs than the ones in Bubsy 3D. Bubsy 2 has more control and camera issues along with maze like level design that makes it worse than Bubsy 1, but even though I don't like the game at least they tried there.

IrishNinja

Bubsy 3D's demo in the day showed some of the worst hit detection id seen in a game that era, never looked back

that said? id buy all kindsa crap games for $5

Lynd7

Hey

Just wondering, if playing an NTSC game on a chipped PAL console or through another workaround, the games play at full speed etc right? I'm guessing yes.

Thanks.

televator

Well I finally got the time to make a follow up to my previous post. So the enclosure case did come, and my BD-ROM drive works great with it. With that said, after testing some of my ps1 games, I quickly came to the realization that I'm better off ripping the games & not playing them off the disc itself.

I've realized this for a couple of reasons. For one, out of the two emulators that I was looking into using (ePSXe & Retroarch/Mednafen), only ePSXe would be able to play physical CDs. And while it does work, the games I've tried had slight freezes every so often during gameplay. With the games rip to my ssd, those issues do not occur. (Which Khaz had mentioned earlier)
As for my second reason, I'm leaning towards Retroarch/Mednafen as for my main Playstation emulator. Since it supposed to be overall more accurate than ePSXe. However I just recently tested out Powerslave, and while it plays just fine in ePSXe, the game has some glitches when running in Retroarch/Mednafen. So I'm keeping both emulators for now.

Anyways, being able to play games from the disc is not as big of a deal as I thought it would've been. It only takes a few minutes to rip a game, and I'm only going to have two or three games copied at a time. That way, I'm still interacting with my collection when playing my ps1 games on my PC.

Did that as soon as I received the memory card, and I was able to transfer all of my saved games with it. Thanks for letting me know about FMCB. :)

For anyone who is interested, here are some pictures that I've taken showing the differences between the ps2 & PC emulation on my TV. (sorry for the crappy phone images)

PS2:

PC:

PS2:

PC:

Dat real hardware dithering. lol

Emulation is cool, but still a bit too cumbersome for me to get in to more. Can't wait for FPGA clones of PS1/N64/Saturn that no longer use dithering or cut back bit depth.

Timu

Bubsy 3D's demo in the day showed some of the worst hit detection id seen in a game that era, never looked back

that said? id buy all kindsa crap games for $5
That's the best price for the game, lol.

And that awful hit detection is still in the full game unfortunately, so expect some cheap hits!

Generally I found the combination of these two is the best for now. When I want to play a PS1 game I go: Mednafen HW --> Mednafen software --> ePSXe until the game works well.

For example Silent Hill has glitches with Mednafen HW but works perfectly with software(The best I've seen it work outside of original hardware in fact with the blur effects in the loading screen properly emulated which is something even some Sony emulators get wrong).
Tomb Raider 1 and 2 don't work in either mednafen version and I need to fall back to ePSXe for them

I do wish Mednafen's OpenGL renderer gets better with time.
It would basically render ePSXe finally obsolete.
The software renderer is more developed but cannot get above 2 times internal res without major slowdown.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Today I learned that Cool Boarders 2 was called "Cool Boarders 2: Killing Session" in Japan.

That got a chuckle out of me.

TGMIII

Speaking of Busby 3D, PeteDorr has an interesting take on the game

I've never played it so can't speak from experience, but his views are certainly contrary to everything I've ever read...

I think like most notorious "worst game ever" titles, there's a lot of hyperbole surrounding it but having actually played it at the time of release even a seven year old me knew I was playing something bad. Even when I revisited it with a different perspective there was very little that changed about my opinion of it.

It's very much a victim of its time in early 3D and it released 2 months after Mario 64 which made it look even worse in comparison. There's not much to say about it that hasn't already been said over and over but its worst crime is actually that Bubsy never shuts up.

Timu

I think like most notorious "worst game ever" titles, there's a lot of hyperbole surrounding it but having actually played it at the time of release even a seven year old me knew I was playing something bad. Even when I revisited it with a different perspective there was very little that changed about my opinion of it.

It's very much a victim of its time in early 3D and it released 2 months after Mario 64 which made it look even worse in comparison. There's not much to say about it that hasn't already been said over and over but its worst crime is actually that Bubsy never shuts up.
I 1st played it when I was 8 and didn't like it as much as Crash and Super Mario 64, then I played it again a few years ago and I despise it.

Speaking of Busby 3D, PeteDorr has an interesting take on the game

I've never played it so can't speak from experience, but his views are certainly contrary to everything I've ever read...
Yes, that's the video sixteen-bit linked earlier:

Heh... No, I'm not Pete Dorr, but good on him for actually giving the game a chance and then challenging Youtube's "you must hate on Bubsy 3D" convention by making that video! He's right, too; it's a good game with lots of interesting platforming challenges, big levels to explore, a good visual look with sharp mostly flat-shaded polygon graphics, and controls you do eventually get used to. There's more good than bad about the game for sure.

People like to exaggerate how bad so-called "worst game ever" titles are, for sure. It's a common issue.

Did you watch the video? Actually Bubsy talks less and less as the game goes along, as Pete Dorr points out. He talks the most early in the game, which is all that most people ever play of it...

Timu

Heh... No, I'm not Pete Dorr, but good on him for actually giving the game a chance and then challenging Youtube's "you must hate on Bubsy 3D" convention by making that video! He's right, too; it's a good game with lots of interesting platforming challenges, big levels to explore, a good visual look with sharp mostly flat-shaded polygon graphics, and controls you do eventually get used to. There's more good than bad about the game for sure.
The levels may be big, but the designs of them are not that good, I mean there's not a single level I actually really enjoyed, they're just big, empty, not fun to explore or anything like that, just meh for the most part. You may get used to the controls but honestly that doesn't excuse them for not being that good, I mean I got used to a lot of games with not so good controls and still didn't enjoy them(the bad ones at least), though I see what you mean. And then there's the camera when you turn around walls along with a top down view while gliding. The hit detection is hilariously bad, I mean I get hit by things that weren't even that close to me(and I remember that well).

Honestly I'm not a fan of it's art style and similar looking stages. Or the boss fights. Or the fact you need all the pieces of the ship to get the good ending. Or how this slow this game plays. At it's core it's a very bland game with hardly any redeeming qualities about it. It's no Action 52 or Sword of Sodan or Superman 64 or anything like that when it comes to worst games ever made, but it's one platformer that I simply didn't have much fun with, and that's a shame because I love platformers. Oh and I hate the music as well, one of my least fav soundtrack in a game ever!

Also RetroReplay's review on the game is my fav review on it.

Why HASNT there been a snowboarding on rails action game yet though?

Strange it hasn't been a Time Crisis level, I mean in TC2 they basically stood in individual rubber speed boats on a river, shooting (who the hell steered and drove them?!). They could easily have been on snowboards doing a halfpipe while shooting!

skjermbilded3san.png

skjermbilde2xwshg.png

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just unpacked my working launch PS1 today. Powerful blast of nostalgia there. I don't think I've used an OG Playstation much since I got a PS2 in 2001.

An RGB cable and the PSIO backup unit means you might see the light of day again soon, my grey friend.....

TGMIII

People like to exaggerate how bad so-called "worst game ever" titles are, for sure. It's a common issue.

Did you watch the video? Actually Bubsy talks less and less as the game goes along, as Pete Dorr points out. He talks the most early in the game, which is all that most people ever play of it...

Admittedly I didn't watch the whole thing but I've played the game twice and I seem to remember the same quips coming out of Bubsy throughout the game, maybe not in the same frequency though. I could be remembering this wrong since its been a while.

I certainly wouldn't agree there's more bad than good with the game. The controls are bad regardless of how used to them you are, that doesn't excuse it. The levels might be big but they're mostly barren with the same unengaging enemies reused throughout. The switching camera perspective, while somewhat novel, feels like a band-aid for the overall poor controls and awful hit detection at times. On top of that it has this extremely slow plodding speed that makes the game feel like it drags on for far longer than it needs to.

Like I said, it's hardly the worst game ever and it came at a time when very few people knew how to handle 3D correctly but I don't think the word good should be associated with Bubsy 3D. Below average at best.

Cedric

Oh man... I just saw the greatest deal ever. 250$, 30 games, including the likes of Tales of Destiny I & II, Lunar: Silver Star Story, Vagrant Story, Star Ocean, WIld Arms, Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, all the FF Titles, Ogre Battle, Xenogears etc... also includes a PS1 and a PS2 (with games, FFs, DQ, Radiata Stories). I would've grabbed it but I'm taking the plane in a couple of hours.

Bad dump? Or maybe you're running the PAL version; that's the NTSC-U Greatest Hits version in the screenshot. I've read that some PAL games have issues in Mednafen, but I've never tried any. I'm using the latest build of the software core.

You are right. TR2 was a bad dump while TR1 needed conversion to a different format.
Mednafen is really finicky when it comes to format and quality of the dump. ePSXe seems to be able to run anything.

Timu

Admittedly I didn't watch the whole thing but I've played the game twice and I seem to remember the same quips coming out of Bubsy throughout the game, maybe not in the same frequency though. I could be remembering this wrong since its been a while.

I certainly wouldn't agree there's more bad than good with the game. The controls are bad regardless of how used to them you are, that doesn't excuse it. The levels might be big but they're mostly barren with the same unengaging enemies reused throughout. The switching camera perspective, while somewhat novel, feels like a band-aid for the overall poor controls and awful hit detection at times. On top of that it has this extremely slow plodding speed that makes the game feel like it drags on for far longer than it needs to.

Like I said, it's hardly the worst game ever and it came at a time when very few people knew how to handle 3D correctly but I don't think the word good should be associated with Bubsy 3D. Below average at best.
I agree with everything you said as those are my thoughts on the game(though I hate it a bit more).

It doesn't help that this was one of the earliest PS1 games I played, thankfully Spyro the Dragon was the 1st PS1 game I owned, and loved it!!!

fantastico

Hey

Just wondering, if playing an NTSC game on a chipped PAL console or through another workaround, the games play at full speed etc right? I'm guessing yes.

Thanks.

Yes NTSC games play at 60Hz on PAL machines, and PAL games play at 50hz on NTSC machines

Hey

Thanks.

In PS1,unlike earlier consoles like the mega drive, the speed and resolution is determined by the software not the hardware.
So as long as you can bypass copy protection the signal that comes out of the console will match the region of the game.

TGMIII

If you like Bubsy 3D's camera automatically tilting down to assist with landing, give Jumping Flash a try.

I've played both jumping flash games and while I don't think they're fantastic games I still have a certain fondness for them. I think the camera shift while jumping inherently works better given that its in a first person perspective. Those underground levels are trash though and traversing on the ground is awfully clunky given that there's no ability to strafe.

I still love how it looks to this day, one of my favourite PS1 games from a visual point of view.

Is there any way to see if a disc is too scratched to play correctly without having to play through the entire game? Maybe an app to check the disc on my PC?

Sometimes there's audio/video skips or loading issues that don't manifest until later on in the game and it can be quite frustrating.

Top Bottom