• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I restarted Resident Evil with Jill and HOLY SHIT BAZOOKA AND SHOTGUN DURING THE FIRST FIVE MINUTES OF THE GAME?!? This should change things!

Teknoman

Glad you liked it! The banter between the characters, especially at the beginning is actually really good and funny.

Oh and don't be ashamed of those puzzles, they took me a long time the first time too! I like that it retains it's Resident Evil roots with the meaningless but entertaining puzzles! They mix up nicely between the action.

Whats the deal with the game not having a character indicator on the map? Even RE2 had it . Things would be so much better with a triangle icon or something.

Road Rash 3D was a port of the 3DO game right? I loved the game on 3DO, probably because it was the first game I had for that system besides the pack in. It was intense.

alf717

I restarted Resident Evil with Jill and HOLY SHIT BAZOOKA AND SHOTGUN DURING THE FIRST FIVE MINUTES OF THE GAME?!? This should change things!

I ran through the game with Chris on the Saturnand with no auto aim it can be tricky if you rely on it a lot. Hunters are a pain when you are up against two in one room.

^ i'm running around with unlimited colt python after beating arrange mode in resident evil directors cut.

damn, the spiders take 3 python shots to kill!

alf717

^ i'm running around with unlimited colt python after beating arrange mode in resident evil directors cut.

Unlimited colt python sounds really fun. I like playing arranged mode with the double ammo trick just to mow down the enemies. Makes for a fun game each time.

Whats the deal with the game not having a character indicator on the map? Even RE2 had it . Things would be so much better with a triangle icon or something.

That is strange, I personally hardly ever use maps in those games but I understand the complaint.

Damn! Are they tougher in arrange mode or is it just that they normally take a hell of a beating?

That is strange, I personally hardly ever use maps in those games but I understand the complaint.

Damn! Are they tougher in arrange mode or is it just that they normally take a hell of a beating?

before playing arrange mode earlier this year, i've beaten the standard game under 3 hours like clock work many many times.

after a recommendation from alf717, i finally tried arrange mode.
wow! it's really challenging and like a brand new game.
some enemies like the spiders are tougher and take way more damage.

arrange mode is so worth it if you get a chance to grab a blk label director's cut..

before playing arrange mode earlier this year, i've beaten the standard game under 3 hours like clock work many many times.

after a recommendation from alf717, i finally tried arrange mode.
wow! it's really challenging and like a brand new game.
some enemies like the spiders are tougher and take way more damage.

arrange mode is so worth it if you get a chance to grab a blk label director's cut..

I live in PAL land so I have the Dir. Cut here, without the dualshock support but with the original soundtrack (thank god). I think I have played through it a couple of times, but I wonder if I chickened out and used the trick to get double ammo! I really should play it like it is.

The rearranging is awesome! Really changes things up and gives me back that unsure feeling of what's next like the first time I played the vanilla version. There's some cool new camera angles thrown in too, which is a nice bonus!

I live in PAL land so I have the Dir. Cut here, without the dualshock support but with the original soundtrack (thank god). I think I have played through it a couple of times, but I wonder if I chickened out and used the trick to get double ammo! I really should play it like it is.

The rearranging is awesome! Really changes things up and gives me back that unsure feeling of what's next like the first time I played the vanilla version. There's some cool new camera angles thrown in too, which is a nice bonus!

nice! you went through it=)
obtain the unlimited python by getting the best ending in arrange advanced mode
even then, hunters, dogs and spiders take several shots to kill w the python.

Teknoman

I'm like that with any survival horror game. I think i check my map every few minutes lol. Kinda helps deliver the scale of the situation imo.

nice! you went through it=)
obtain the unlimited python by getting the best ending in arrange advanced mode
even then, hunters, dogs and spiders take several shots to kill w the python.

Sounds cool! Having just finished the vanilla Saturn version, maybe it's time for some Dir. Cut on the PS1. I really want to play RE2 again too though, especially after getting a CRT.

I'm like that with any survival horror game. I think i check my map every few minutes lol. Kinda helps deliver the scale of the situation imo.

Both the RE games and the first Silent Hill games have great maps though! So I use them a now and then. My one weird skill in games is that I have an alarmingly good memory of remembering layouts of buildings, levels and worlds in 3D games. even in random generated stuff like Minecraft I always remember my way out of a cave or through the landscape.

Danneee

Road Rash 3D was a port of the 3DO game right? I loved the game on 3DO, probably because it was the first game I had for that system besides the pack in. It was intense.

Nope different game. The 3DO port is just called Road Rash. Road Rash 3D is the sequel to that and went fully polygonal for the graphics.

Morfeo

Yeah, I get so tense when playing these games, that I use it as an excuse to chill a bit. Basically checking the map in every room I go to.

televator

I've been watching Stranger Things (Lttp Netflix show) recently. I'm about half way through but all I want to do is play Silent Hill, lol. Wow, it's not cheap based on a quick eBay search. So the HD collection is only 2 & 3?

Yeah, only 2&3 on the collection. Absolutely nothing redeeming about that garbage. lol

Morfeo

Do Zombies stay dead in Resident Evil, or can they respawn later?

Also, is there a trick to how many bullets Zombies can take? With the beretta, they sometimes that as few as 4, othertimes as many as 8 bullets to kill.

Also, when a zombie grabs you, is there something you can do to get released quicker, or is it just random how long he will hold you before letting go?

Edit: And do I need to keep the keys with me at all time, just in case I find another room that opens with for instance a "helmet key"?

Do Zombies stay dead in Resident Evil, or can they respawn later?

Also, is there a trick to how many bullets Zombies can take? With the beretta, they sometimes that as few as 4, othertimes as many as 8 bullets to kill.

Also, when a zombie grabs you, is there something you can do to get released quicker, or is it just random how long he will hold you before letting go?

Edit: And do I need to keep the keys with me at all time, just in case I find another room that opens with for instance a "helmet key"?

Beretta shots vary, sometimes you randomly get a critical hit which blows their heads off. Shotgun is a one shot kill if you let them come real close.

Zombies stay dead, but ---> (this will spoil your first experience somewhat knowing in advance):
later on the "naked" zombies in the labs respawn each time you leave a room

You can't do anything in RE1 when being munched on, I think you can button mash in RE2 or RE3 for a quicker release, but not in RE1.

It doesn't usually take so long for you to unlock all the doors for a new key. Depends on if you really need all the free inventory spaces or not. If you're playing Jill I'd just walk with the key at all times. I think the map shows colour coding on locked doors(?)

Remember to ease up on inventory hoarding. You don't need a Beretta, tons of clips for it, a shotgun AND boxes of shotgun ammo. I usually go with a Beretta, it's clips and a fully loaded shotgun. Since the shotgun is one shot I barely use it up before being in a saveroom to refill it with ammo from my chest.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So we all agree that Sqauresoft was best developer of 5th gen, right?

Their PS1 output was over the top.

GUN-NAC

shoutouts to bushido blade too

speaking of their off-the-wall output during gen 5, anyone try internal section? looks like a precursor to uga/sega's rez.

It had some of the style but not the excitement nor the addictiveness of Rez and its scoring. Generally IS was a chore to play, even if the visuals/audio mix made it stand out from other tube shooters.

I like Internal Section enough. What other 90s game lets me blast Nine Inch Nails in game while blasting hi-rez funk polygons?

No seriously if there is tell me.

i grabbed this for ps1 over the weekend

F7WFOk7h.jpg

PHXwaxUh.jpg

Morfeo

Crossposting from Teknomans 31 Nights of horror thread:

So I managed to do this:

My first time beating this absolute classic, and like I've already written a few times, I just loved it. So what makes the game good? Well

First of all I think the fact that the game is challenging is a great feature, even though Im pretty sure I would be nowhere near as challenged the second time around. The fact that there is a very limit number of resources at your disposal, mean you have to think carefully about everything you do, including when and where to save. For instance when the hunter start crowding the house, figuring out the route to avoid as many as possible, is essensial to conserve those valuable shells. The fact that all enemies take a ton of shots to kill, that some safe rooms get repopulated, and that your movement is quite clumsy, all mean you have to plan ahead constantly - and also not be afraid of dying. Reminds me a bit of the Souls-game in this regard.

Second, all this creates a lot of tension which is of course the whole point of this game. And i didnt feel like the game was dated at all in this regard. Every time I entered a new room, I instantly took up the map to check where I should explore, and where enemies might hide. This imo just shows how well the game succeeds in its goal.

Third, the presentation is really fantastic. I know a lot of people like to shit on early 3D, but I actually thought the mansion, enemies, details etc were really great. And the atmospheric music is also really good (at least in the version I played).

Fourth, the interconnected level design is what makes the game so enjoyable to play, especially inside the mansion. This falls a bit apart in the end when you leaves the mansion, but for the first 2/3s of the game, its really fun to roam around the house.

Now the only really bad thing about the game, is in my opinion the bosses. I never cared to fight them strategically at all, I just brough enough healing items to take the damage, and then blasted away with whatever was my strongest weapon at the time. I adopted this strategy because your movement speed compared to the bosses are simply to slow, making it really frustrating trying to play them strategically, avoiding damage etc. Also, the constant camera switching and small space, also makes them more annoying than fun to play. In sheer presence, they were all good though, especially considering the hardware.

Last, I wouldnt exactly call it great, but I did enjoy the terrible story and acting, and while the main team wer imo all pretty bland, Wesker just gave away such a cool presence. Happy that I will see more of him!

All in all, i think the original Resident Evil definitely holds up, and Im looking forward to an even better challenge when I tackle Chris in the Directors Cut - a game I actually got my this threads very own and very generous Teknoman.

So I managed to do this:

My first time beating this absolute classic, and like I've already written a few times, I just loved it. So what makes the game good? Well

First of all I think the fact that the game is challenging is a great feature, even though Im pretty sure I would be nowhere near as challenged the second time around. The fact that there is a very limit number of resources at your disposal, mean you have to think carefully about everything you do, including when and where to save. For instance when the hunter start crowding the house, figuring out the route to avoid as many as possible, is essensial to conserve those valuable shells. The fact that all enemies take a ton of shots to kill, that some safe rooms get repopulated, and that your movement is quite clumsy, all mean you have to plan ahead constantly - and also not be afraid of dying. Reminds me a bit of the Souls-game in this regard.

Second, all this creates a lot of tension which is of course the whole point of this game. And i didnt feel like the game was dated at all in this regard. Every time I entered a new room, I instantly took up the map to check where I should explore, and where enemies might hide. This imo just shows how well the game succeeds in its goal.

Third, the presentation is really fantastic. I know a lot of people like to shit on early 3D, but I actually thought the mansion, enemies, details etc were really great. And the atmospheric music is also really good (at least in the version I played).

Fourth, the interconnected level design is what makes the game so enjoyable to play, especially inside the mansion. This falls a bit apart in the end when you leaves the mansion, but for the first 2/3s of the game, its really fun to roam around the house.

Now the only really bad thing about the game, is in my opinion the bosses. I never cared to fight them strategically at all, I just brough enough healing items to take the damage, and then blasted away with whatever was my strongest weapon at the time. I adopted this strategy because your movement speed compared to the bosses are simply to slow, making it really frustrating trying to play them strategically, avoiding damage etc. Also, the constant camera switching and small space, also makes them more annoying than fun to play. In sheer presence, they were all good though, especially considering the hardware.

Last, I wouldnt exactly call it great, but I did enjoy the terrible story and acting, and while the main team wer imo all pretty bland, Wesker just gave away such a cool presence. Happy that I will see more of him!

All in all, i think the original Resident Evil definitely holds up, and Im looking forward to an even better challenge when I tackle Chris in the Directors Cut - a game I actually got my this threads very own and very generous Teknoman.

this is one of my fav games of all times. this was simply amazing to see multiple endings and two characters to play with.

i hope you play the black label directors cut. (green label: destroy and burn it)

Wesker's look and character is so awesome =D

So I managed to do this:

Is this Resident Evil 1? That's some great art.

IrishNinja

this is one of my fav games of all times. this was simply amazing to see multiple endings and two characters to play with.

i hope you play the black label directors cut. (green label: destroy and burn it)

wait isn't green label the dual analog one though?

Morfeo

I think I own the green label one (only have the cd together with my original). I though the only difference was the music?

Is this Resident Evil 1? That's some great art.

Yeah, the original 1996 release.

I think so.

So I managed to do this:

Congrats!

Morfeo

Thanks ResidentDante! (fitting name).

I forgot to write about the endings that Dave brought up. I guess I probably got the best Jill ending since I was able to save Chris, and Barry was also there. Its awesome that there are so many different ones!

Thanks ResidentDante! (fitting name).

I forgot to write about the endings that Dave brought up. I guess I probably got the best Jill ending since I was able to save Chris, and Barry was also there. Its awesome that there are so many different ones!
Haha yeah my nickname is a nod to RE and Dante from the DMC games.

It's fun reading how someone in 2016 views a classic like RE1, which I fondly remember from my childhood! Glad you enjoyed it! Now go for 2 and 3, then Dino Crisis ;-)

yeah but it's not worth the trade off.
I think I own the green label one (only have the cd together with my original). I though the only difference was the music?
it pretty much breaks the atmosphere for this game.

the redone tracks (no option for original) was horrendous and by a fraud composer. it's really a buttend joke with RE fans.

i highly recommend the black label directors cut with the original score intact. black label will have the additional auto aim option too. you won't miss the dual shock.

Morfeo

Haha yeah my nickname is a nod to RE and Dante from the DMC games.

It's fun reading how someone in 2016 views a classic like RE1, which I fondly remember from my childhood! Glad you enjoyed it! Now go for 2 and 3, then Dino Crisis ;-)

Yeah, I own all those games, so will try to get through them in the near future. Will keep you guys here posted!

yeah but it's not worth the trade off.

it pretty much breaks the atmosphere for this game.

the redone tracks (no option for original) was horrendous and by a fraud composer. it's really a buttend joke with RE fans.

i highly recommend the black label directors cut with the original score intact. black label will have the additional auto aim option too. you won't miss the dual shock.

That sucks to hear, but I guess that since I already experienced the original atmosphere, it is not such a huge deal for now that Im just going through the game again.

TAFK

So playing through FF7 for the first time ever. Really liking it actually. Hard to avoid spoilers/main story points this long after release but it's definitely still worth a play because even in these first few hours I'm picking up a lot of smaller intricacies that I didn't know about. Seems fairly straightforward too which I like.

One question to everyone though, I'm playing on original hardware and it takes a few seconds each save for the game to recognize/read my memory card. Is this usual or something I should be concerned about going forward? Didn't seem to have this problem when I played through Suikoden 2 in the summer as I could just mash X and it would recognize the memory card immediately.

Futaba

Perhaps this will be useful to some of you looking to make their console region free to play their imports without disk swapping, but I recently wanted to modify my Japanese console to play US imports, but didn't have any 12C508, 12C509 or 12F629's handy, just a bunch of 16F630's.
Despite the 16F630 being 14 pin (not 8 pin like usual), you can actually still use it using hex intended for the 12F629, by wiring it up as follows:

z6PeaKc.jpg

Just wire using standard install diagrams as if the chip was 8 pin and it works fine.

been playing breath of fire IV recently and liking it alot.

i ordered breath of fire III yesterday and will post pics once it comes in.

any fans of the series and play both? what's your opinion of III?

alf717

been playing breath of fire IV recently and liking it alot.

i ordered breath of fire III yesterday and will post pics once it comes in.

any fans of the series and play both? what's your opinion of III?

BoF III is a fantastic game. I loved it so much. I could never get into BoF IV though. I got my brother to play BoF III and IV and he loves them. I'm gonna have to sit down one day and give BoF IV another try.

I really liked BoF4, but the lack of "closure" for one antagonist makes it so I just can't replay the game. I think it was originally planed and was cut, but still.

BoF3 was great though, even if the desert kept me from replaying it too often.

Top Bottom