• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 we got CDs , PS2 = DVDs , PS3 = Blu-rays & PS4 we got Vue so what media will Sony sell us with PS5?

onQ123

Either smell-o-thron or the holograph (maybe smelly holograms) mark my word! - I have insider info.

SZNQAt.jpg

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...84".PGNR.&OS=DN/20180147484&RS=DN/20180147484

FRAGRANCE PRESENTATION DEVICE

Abstract
The object of the present invention is to provide a fragrance presentation device which prevents an unintended smell from being presented. A fragrance presentation device for use with a display device which can be mounted on the head of a user includes a fragrance presentation module disposed in a fragrance presentation position in the vicinity of the nostrils of a person on which the display device is mounted, a fragrance holder having a fragrance container for holding a fragrance therein, the fragrance holder placing the fragrance container in a position spaced from the fragrance presentation position at least while the fragrance is not presented, and delivering the fragrance out of the fragrance container when the fragrance in the fragrance container is presented, and a fragrance conductor for conducting the fragrance which has been delivered out of the fragrance holder to the fragrance presentation module.

Inventors:Osawa; Hiroshi; (Kanagawa, JP) ; Hirata; Shinichi; (Kanagawa, JP) ; Nishimaki; Yoichi; (Kanagawa, JP)

Applicant: NameCityStateCountryType

Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.

Tokyo

JP​
Assignee:Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
Tokyo
JP

Family ID:57503337Appl. No.:15/570508Filed:January 26, 2016PCT Filed:January 26, 2016PCT NO:PCT/JP2016/052168371 Date:October 30, 2017

Vawn

Banned
I got a PS1 because of the games.
I got a PS2 because of the games.
I got a PS3 because of the games.
I got a PS4 because of the games.

Not sure I need a new media format for me to get a PS5.

sn0man

Tag the disc with RFID & only let the game work for a few days without the disc in range of your console

That honestly sounds like a wonderful system! I would love a physical media that worked if within a couple feet of the system. I could then leave 4 or 5 titles that i play regularly near the machine and be able to launch them whenever. It would bring one of the compelling things about digital to physical.

That honestly sounds like a wonderful system! I would love a physical media that worked if within a couple feet of the system. I could then leave 4 or 5 titles that i play regularly near the machine and be able to launch them whenever. It would bring one of the compelling things about digital to physical.
http://www.digital-digest.com/news-...-Be-Used-To-Stop-Second-Hand-Games-Trade.html
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...acy-with-embedded-rfid-chips-game-discs.shtml

Games will be digitally encoded in candy bars.

This way Sony ensures millions of repeat sales as customers are unable to resist eating their games as soon as they tear off the plastic wrapper!

MayauMiao

I didn't buy the PS3 and PS4 for the media player, so purchasing PS5 is not an issue to me.

In fact, I never purchase ANY movie Blu-ray, only the games. Streaming movies killed the disc.

Hudo

I might be in the minority with this opinion but I hope it's some sort of module or cartridge-based medium. I really like the cartridges of the Switch and the 3DS. However, I still highly prefer optical discs compared to going purely digital (I actually prefer anything physical over digital...) . But yeah, I hope cartridges are going to be a thing.

dano1

A Sheep
Hopefully just better streaming technology.

And of course just great games if there is nothing new.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony's streaming cable TV service for $40/month. Nowhere to be found in 2013 when MS was promoting you can plug a cable feed into Xbox and watch TV quickly instead of getting out the TV remote, and people bitched MS about it "TV".

Sony launched this about 2 years later when PS4 was already selling like hotcakes and nobody moaned.

Maybe because it was low-key, and it is still pretty low-key and not the main systems focal point. It is also on Android TV's, Android Phones, etc..

I think you're being a little disingenuous with how those events transpired with Microsoft and their TV, TV, TV announcement right off the rip in comparison.

Last edited:

Pachi72

Sega was ahead of their time with the games on cards for the Master System , If someone could come up with a cheap way to mass produce cards with 100GBs I wouldn't mind having something like these over Blu-rays

Sega_my_card_2.jpg
And PC engine with it hue cards

Ridaxan

Since digital has become more and more ubiquitous, I'd be surprised if we see any format other than blu-ray in the future. Physical media ownership is very much going to be the outlier and not the default.

I'd be very surprised if the generation after PS5 even has any physical media support.

@gkTH

I really don't need a new media introduced by PS5.
The point is "Games" in which the PS5 can deliver and match my needs.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
higher capacity blu ray discs.

physical media is dying. there isn't really anything to replace Bluray. digital is the way forward.

PS5 games are going to be digital only.... This has been officially said by Sony?
no. it will still have discs. :rolleyes: there might an all digital model though. if people want to hang onto ancient technology then they can pay more for it IMO.

Last edited:

BruceCM

no. it will still have discs.
Well, I know it'll play PS4 discs but I thought I read PS5 games won't be physically :messenger_sunglasses: Maybe I misremember or misunderstood & perhaps plans changed :messenger_ok: Given it'll have to have the drive for physical PS4 games, presumably any PS5 ones would have to be similar :messenger_grinning_squinting:
I'm sure Blu-ray tech has developed quite a bit since it 1st came out & it'd presumably still be installing them on the ssd, anyway :p

DanielsM

Banned
Well, I know it'll play PS4 discs but I thought I read PS5 games won't be physically :messenger_sunglasses: Maybe I misremember or misunderstood & perhaps plans changed :messenger_ok: Given it'll have to have the drive for physical PS4 games, presumably any PS5 ones would have to be similar :messenger_grinning_squinting:
I'm sure Blu-ray tech has developed quite a bit since it 1st came out & it'd presumably still be installing them on the ssd, anyway :p

Yeah, as of a few weeks ago, Sony has confirmed you can play however you want on PS5, meaning:

- Physical blu-ray disc (they actually said blu-ray in their Investor Day presentation)
- Digital Download
- PS Remote Play
- PS Now i.e. as a streaming service/digital download

FYI, they have confirmed other stuff as well:

- PS5 will support the PSVR v1.0
- PS5 will have backward compatibility with PS4, unsure if any other past PS will be supported
- PS5 will support PS Remote Play
- PS5 will have a SSD (for better internal streaming)

It is possible they will release a PS5 without a drive, but they plan on building models with them at least for now.

What they haven't discussed:

- Price
- Dates
- Games
- Other User Experiences
- Country Rollout
- Detailed specs

The earliest they will release the PS5 as to their last financial statement is May 2020.

Last edited:

onQ123

dims

PS5-slide-1642851.jpg

Last edited:

Tarin02543

Is there a legal way to download 50GB high bitrate blu ray movies?

I mean, that could be the answer for people who dislike streaming's bad IQ

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can't see them not including a 4k player this time so I imagine they'll use the 4k Spec Blu-ray.
Makes logical sense imo.

Last edited:

onQ123

Can you read 3 layers with old lasers?

Some can & some can't but what does that have to do with UHD Blu-ray being a triple layer blu-ray with different video codec or not?

ROM4 Format Specification
Blu-ray Disc Read-Only (ROM) Format Version 4
This version was defined in August of 2015, for Ultra High Definition Movie Contents. The special features of this version are adoption of BDMV featured 4K resolution Video and HDR(HighDynamicRange) and BD-J, capable of newly defined Dual layer 50/66 GB and Triple layer 100 GB Read-Only media also usage of UDF2.5 as file system for PC friendly.
Current Format Books
System Description Blu-ray Disc Read-Only
Part 1:
Basic Format Specifications Ver. 2.0 May 2015

Part 2:
File System Specifications (UDF®) Ver.2.0 Apr. 2015
Part 3:
Audio Visual Basic Specifications Ver. 3.2 December 2017

onQ123

Just a patent but Jesus

The optical computer system provides various technical advantages according to embodiments of the present disclosure. For example, high data storage can be achieved in a small footprint. In particular, one terabit of data can be stored in one square millimeter within each of the diffractive optical layers. In addition, data reads and compute operations can be performed at the speed of light. Hence, such an optical computer system can free up other computing resources to perform other operations.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION

Generally, techniques related to an optical computer system and use thereof are described. In an example, an optical computer system includes a multi-purpose optical device, an imager, and an image sensor. The imager displays an image to the multi-purpose optical device. The image is optically processed through diffractive optical layers of the multi-purpose optical device and the diffracted light from the multi-purpose optical device is detected by the image sensor. The multi-purpose optical device is configured to store data and perform one or more compute operations. For instance, at least one of the diffractive optical layers include an optical data storage portion that stores the data. Further, some or all of the diffractive optical layers include optical compute portions. In turn, each of the optical compute portions includes diffraction elements that diffract light to a next optical compute operations and the light diffraction collectively through the optical compute portions corresponds to an optical compute operation. Based on the information encoded in the image, data can be read from the optical data storage and/or the optical compute operation can be invoked. For instance, when the image encodes a data location on the optical data storage portion, light travels through the diffractive optical layers to that location and out from the multi-purpose device and is detected by the image sensor. The image sensor converts the detected light into a read of the data stored at that data location. In comparison, when the image encodes an input to the compute operation, light travels through the optical compute portions and out from the multi-purpose device and is detected by the image sensor. Here, the image sensor converts the detected light into an output of optically performing the operation on the input.

To illustrate, consider an example of an optical computer system implemented as an optical disk drive. In this illustrative example, the multi-purpose optical device represents an optical disk or card, and the imager and image sensor represent a reader head. More specifically, the multi-purpose optical device includes a plurality of diffractive optical layers made out of polymeric material, such as plastic, transparent to light having a wavelength between 400 nm and 700 nm. These layers are attached with transparent optical glue in a stack arrangement. Each of the diffractive optical layers includes an optical data storage portion and an optical compute portion arranged side-by-side. In turn, each optical data storage portion stores data holographically, meaning the data is stored as collection interference patterns. Each of the optical compute portions corresponds to a layer of an artificial neural network and its diffraction elements are arranged to optically perform the equivalent transformation of the corresponding neural network layer. The artificial neural network is pre-trained to perform a compute operation. The various optical compute portions are arranged such that light is diffracted through these portions in a manner equivalent to data transformations between the neural network layers. The imager includes an array of monochromatic light sources, such as an array of micro light emitting diodes (.mu.LEDs), beam manipulation optics, and an optical modulator mounted on an actuating arm. The image sensor includes an array of CCD or CMOS sensors also mounted on the actuating arm. Upon a first image encoding the location of data to be read from a particular optical data portion, the actuating arm moves the imager and the image sensor to a position parallel to the optical data storage portions and the first image is emitted as a light from the imager. The light is diffracted through the optical data storage portions, including through the data location. The image sensor detects the diffracted light that is output from the multi-purpose optical device and converts the diffracted light to read data. Upon a second image encoding input for the compute operation, the actuating arm moves the imager and the image sensor to a position parallel to the optical compute portions and the second image is emitted as a light from the imager. The light is diffracted through the optical compute portions. The image sensor detects the diffracted light that is output from the multi-purpose optical device and converts the diffracted light to an output of the compute operation.

The optical computer system provides various technical advantages according to embodiments of the present disclosure. For example, high data storage can be achieved in a small footprint. In particular, one terabit of data can be stored in one square millimeter within each of the diffractive optical layers. In addition, data reads and compute operations can be performed at the speed of light. Hence, such an optical computer system can free up other computing resources to perform other operations.

In the interest of clarity of explanation, various embodiments of the present disclosure are described in connection with a video game system that includes an optical computer system. However, the embodiments are not limited as such and similarly apply to any computer system that integrates or interfaces with such an optical system, including a personal computer, a mobile device, or a datacenter. Also in the interest of clarity of explanation, various embodiments of the present disclosure are described in connection with a multi-purpose optical device that stores data holographically and that optically perform compute operations of a pre-trained artificial neural network. However, the embodiments are not limited as such and similarly apply to other types of optical storage including, for instance, pit-based storage, and/or to other types of artificial intelligence models.

FIG. 1 illustrates an example video game console 110 that includes an optical computer system 114, according to embodiments of the present disclosure. As illustrated, the video game console 110 interfaces with a display 120 to present interactive content of a video game to a video game player 130. The video game console 110 executes the video game. Some or all of the video game data can be stored on the optical computer system 114 (e.g., on optical data storage portions thereof). Additionally or alternatively, some or all of the operations of the video game can be executed on the optical computer system 114 (e.g., on optical compute portions thereof).

In an example, the video game console 110 includes the optical computer system 114 along with other computational resources. As illustrated in FIG. 1, these computational resources include a graphics processing unit (GPU) 118, although other components are possible such as a memory, a central processing unit (CPU), and the like as further illustrated in FIG. 9. The optical computer system 114 provides optical data storage, such as holographic data storage, and optical compute operations, such as operations of an AI model implemented as a collection of diffractive optical layers. Hence, data can be read from and compute operations can be performed by the optical computer system 114 at the speed of light. In addition, some of the data storage and some of the compute operations can be moved from the other computational resources to the optical computer system 114, thereby freeing up these resources for other tasks.

In an illustration, the optical computer system 114 is used for two purposes. First, to store video game data of the video game. In this way, depending on a context of the video game, the relevant video game data can be read from the optical computer system 114 and rendered by the GPU 118 on the display 120. Second, the optical computer system 114 is set-up to perform speech recognition. In this way, natural language utterances of the video game player 130 can be translated into text that, in turn, can be translated into game commands and/or displayable text on the display 120 or displays of other video game players. In particular, a neural network can be pre-trained for speech recognition on an offline system. And the trained neural network can be implemented as the collection of diffractive optical layers of the optical computer system 114.

In the illustrative example, audio input 113 is sent from a computational resource to the optical computer system 114 over an application programming interface (API) 112. The audio input is converted into an image for display by an imager to a multi-purpose optical device of the optical computer system 114. The diffracted light out from the multi-purpose optical device can be detected by an image sensor of the optical computer system 114 and converted to an output text 115. This output text 115 can be sent back to the same or different computational resource over the API 112 or a different API.

Similarly, a context of the video game can be sent over an API to the optical computer system 114. In response, the context is converted into an image for display by the imager to the multi-purpose optical device. The diffracted light can be detected by the image sensor and converted into video game data. This video game data can be sent to the GPU 118 as graphics input 117 over an API 116. The GPU 118 renders the video game content as graphics output 119 that is then sent over the same or a different API for presentation at the display 120.

According to this illustrative example, some of the operations of the video game console 110 can be allocated to the optical computer system 114, including video game data reads and speech recognition. Such operations can be run in parallel with operations performed by other computational resources of the video game console 110.

In the interest of clarity of explanation, various embodiments of the present disclosure are described in connection with data storage and with compute operations for speech recognition as an application on an optical computer system. However, the embodiments are not limited as such and apply to other possible purposes that can be implemented as diffractive optical layers, including other types of compute operations (e.g., object detection, speech synthetization, and other applications). Generally, a compute operation of an application can be defined as a set of interrelated operations. Each of such operations can be implemented as an diffractive optical layer of a multi-purpose optical device and the different diffractive optical layers can be arranged depending on the dependencies between the sub-operations.

In addition, the optical computer system can include a plurality of multi-purpose optical devices, one for each supported application. A single multi-purpose optical device that supports a plurality of applications can also or alternatively be used. In this case, each diffractive optical layer can contain one or more optical compute portions corresponding to one of the supported applications. For instance, if speech recognition and object detection were to be supported as a ten-layer neural network and a fifteen-layer neural network, respectively, the multi-purpose optical device can include fifteen diffractive optical layers. Ten of these diffractive optical layers can have optical compute portions for the two applications side-by-side, and remaining five of the diffractive optical layers can have optical computer portions for only the object detection application.

In other words, a multi-purpose optical device of an optical computer system represents an optical device configured for multiple purposes. In one example, the purposes are for data storage and a particular application. In another example, the purposes are for different applications without data storage. In yet another example, the purposes are for a plurality of data storages and a plurality of applications.

Furthermore, although FIG. 1 illustrates an optical computer system on a video game console, such a system can be implemented differently. For instance, the optical computer system can be installed on a server communicatively coupled with the video game console and/or can be part of an optical disk for a video game, where the optical disk can be inserted in the video game console.

FIG. 2 illustrates an example optical computer system 200, according to embodiments of the present disclosure. The optical computer system 200 is an example of the optical computer system 114 of FIG. 1. As illustrated, the optical computer system 200 includes a transmissive multi-purpose optical device 210, an imager 220, and an image sensor 230. The transmissive multi-purpose optical device 210 includes a plurality of diffractive optical layers. In response to input data 222, the imager 220 displays an image 224 to an input side of the transmissive multi-purpose optical device 210. Light forming the image travels through this device 210 and is diffracted through its diffractive optical layers. Because of the transmissivity, the diffracted light 212 is transmitted out from an output side of the transmissive multi-purpose optical device 210 to the image sensor 230. The output side can be opposite to or, more generally, different from the input side. The image sensor 230 converts the diffracted light 212 into output data 232.

Generally, depending on the input data 222, a specific image 224 is generated to invoke one of the purposes of the transmissive multi-purpose optical device 210. In an example, the transmissive multi-purpose optical device 210 is usable for two purposes: one, for data storage and two, for compute operations of a speech recognition application. On one hand, if data storage were to be invoked, the input data 222 corresponds to a read command that identifies an address of the data on the transmissive multi-purpose optical device 210. The imager 210 generates an image 224 that contains lighting information for the retrieval of data encoded at the optical data storage position (e.g. the address) or that optically encodes this address. Upon display of this image 224, the image 224 (or light representing the image 224) diffracts through the transmissive multi-purpose optical device 210 and the image sensor 230 can read and output the data stored at the address. In an example of holographic data storage, diffractive elements are at a region X, which contains multiple addresses Ys. The address encoding is used as a key, where the image 224 is a reference light interference pattern (Y). A single spatial portion (X region) of the multi-purpose optical device can have multiple stored data points (Zs). These data points are the interference pattern of the address reference pattern (Y) combined with the interference pattern generated from the data (Z) that is stored. On the other hand, if speech recognition where to be invoked, the input data 222 corresponds to audio input. The imager 210 generates an image 224 that optically encodes the audio input. Upon display of this image 224, the image 224 (or light representing the image 224) diffracts through optical compute portions at the different diffractive optical layers. The diffracted light 212 out from the transmissive multi-purpose optical device 210 represents an output of performing the speech recognition and is sensed by the image sensor 230.

Top Bottom