• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Appreciation & Celebration Thread, long live the King!

pukko

Neo Member
Absolutely what I would recommend. He just needs to buy one of those memory card to USB adaptors, put the free MC boot files on and then he will have the ability to play games from the HDD. I have a Slim PS2 because my Fat broke all those years ago. Rather regretably my parents threw it away, could've resurrected that beast! On the bright side my Slim PS3 can play most PS2 games I throw at it and fat PS2s are pretty inexpensive these days. And eventually I hope to get a strong enough PC that can run PCSX2.

Afaik this only works with the official Sony MC adapter they released for the PS3. Generic brand ones will not work (please correct me if this has changed)

IrishNinja

yeah, i'd like to know too! my fatty has a top loader case & runs HDD Loader or whatever but its not 100% compatible, and the MC thing sounds easier once you get it going.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Got any info on a memory card to USB adapter that works? I wrote a PS2 Hard Drive Installation Guide using SwapMagic, but if there's an easier and cheaper way, I'll revise.

Ahhh I remember reading your guide, I believe we've conversed on here before!

I've never tried it myself but I'm sure I read about it being possible. Indeed I just google'd now and the details are here:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/content...1-8c-loader-mc2usb-adapter-tools-released-40/

Afaik this only works with the official Sony MC adapter they released for the PS3. Generic brand ones will not work (please correct me if this has changed)

I have no idea myself, never tried this method.

yeah, i'd like to know too! my fatty has a top loader case & runs HDD Loader or whatever but its not 100% compatible, and the MC thing sounds easier once you get it going.

What do you mean by this? Are you already running one of the various HD Loader applications off of a disc or memory card? If so, then you should consider upgrading to OpenPS2Loader, it's the newest program of that type. (I can help with this if you need it)

Ahhh I remember reading your guide, I believe we've conversed on here before!

I've never tried it myself but I'm sure I read about it being possible. Indeed I just google'd now and the details are here:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/content...1-8c-loader-mc2usb-adapter-tools-released-40/

I should see if I still have my official PS2 memory card adapter in the house somewhere and try it out. I wonder how much money they go for these days.

IrishNinja

What do you mean by this? Are you already running one of the various HD Loader applications off of a disc or memory card? If so, then you should consider upgrading to OpenPS2Loader, it's the newest program of that type. (I can help with this if you need it)

yeah, running off an old HDD Loader disc i bought years ago, bundled with an old Swap Magic disc...what advantages does OpenPS2Loader bring?

Drago

Got my component cables in the mail a few days ago, third party ones but they seems to be of good quality.

The picture quality is a massive jump forward, even for 480i content it looks a ton better. Colors pop and the image isn't really blurry anymore. It's fantastic.

yeah, running off an old HDD Loader disc i bought years ago, bundled with an old Swap Magic disc...what advantages does OpenPS2Loader bring?

Way better compatibility, mostly. Development stopped around 2009, but it supports pretty much everything aside from maybe a dozen notable titles (like MGS2: Substance).

And it's nice to run the program off the memory card, it loads faster and you don't need the top loader anymore.

alf717

Can't seem to find the guide I followed but I remember loading a custom elf file using a codebreaker disc to my memory card. I then use a PS1 disc to boot the uLaunchELF and load various HDD loader files and Open Ps2 loader files from a USB stick. Whatever HDD or PS2 loader I use does support MGS2: Substance or pretty much any dual layer DVD.

damn, that does sound nice...walk me through it!

I wrote this guide: http://nailbittingcombats.blogspot.com/2013/10/playstation-2-hard-drive-installation.html

This guide is also nice and has pictures: http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/swapmagic.php

Depending on how old your version of SwapMagic is, you might need to alter the procedure a bit. Yet another situation where I can't speak on the changes because I haven't had the chance to try it.

If you want to see what people have to say about OpenPS2Loader compatibility, take a look at this thread: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f150/opl-0-9-games-issues-111254/

Dang, looks like I bought my ocean blue dualshock 2 just in time:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006FWUU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got mine new for $20 a couple months ago. Now it's like $75 shipped for one (unless you want a used one that's covered in some other dude's grime.) Makes me wonder if prices are going to finallly start going up on the PS2, like with the Gamecube.

I wonder. Nintendo stuff historically has retained more value than its contemporaneous competing platforms, and GCN was clearly a smaller market at the time.

Of course, this led to smaller production runs meaning GCN games are more scarce and leads to higher aftermarket value.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I wonder. Nintendo stuff historically has retained more value than its contemporaneous competing platforms, and GCN was clearly a smaller market at the time.

Of course, this led to smaller production runs meaning GCN games are more scarce and leads to higher aftermarket value.

It's interesting that the PS2 market has avoided going up in price for this long. It didn't take a whole lot of time for PS1 games like Valkyrie Profile or Suikoden II to become the high-priced collector's items they are today.

I'm starting to see price increases elsewhere, too, but nothing particularly dramatic. Shinobi on PS2, for example, used to be like $10 new. Now it's up to about $35. Contra: SS is going up as well. That's how it always starts.

In any case, maybe it'd be a good idea if I tried to finish off my PS2 collection sooner rather than later.

Recall

I always liked how well the PS2 catered to all genres, there was nothing that comes to mind that was left out or not fully explored.

As a fighting game fan I did like that it have me access to Neo Geo classics without dropping the big money.

image_zpsbde9f69f.jpg

It's interesting that the PS2 market has avoided going up in price for this long. It didn't take a whole lot of time for PS1 games like Valkyrie Profile or Suikoden II to become the high-priced collector's items they are today.

I'm starting to see price increases elsewhere, too, but nothing particularly dramatic. Shinobi on PS2, for example, used to be like $10 new. Now it's up to about $35. Contra: SS is going up as well. That's how it always starts.

In any case, maybe it'd be a good idea if I tried to finish off my PS2 collection sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I think it would be a good idea. I'll will need to go back through the thread and see if there is a list of "Hidden Gems". They will probably be the first to jump.

Maybe with the slow migration to digital, some folks are valuing physical stuff more.

Similar phenomenon happening with vinyl these days in the age of .mp3. Over the past 3 years vinyl LPs have increased in sales.

DJ Gunner

I still get a sense of excitement browsing through my second hand store's PS2 library that I haven't had for seventh gen games in years. I have really been debating "retiring" from modern gaming and just taking my time wading through the PS2's gargantuan library (with some OG Xbox and GC titles in for good measure). These games are made for a different time; before shareholders, focus groups and homogenization drove development.

Danny Dudekisser

I still get a sense of excitement browsing through my second hand store's PS2 library that I haven't had for seventh gen games in years. I have really been debating "retiring" from modern gaming and just taking my time wading through the PS2's gargantuan library (with some OG Xbox and GC titles in for good measure). These games are made for a different time; before shareholders, focus groups and homogenization drove development.

Honestly, after playing nothing but OG Xbox games for the last week and a half... I'm kinda wondering the same thing. Gen. 6 was a demonstration of what talented game designers could do without worrying about who they alienated or whether something would sell 3 million copies. They had the tech to make something great, budgets were still reasonabe, and the target audience was gamers. It was the perfect storm.

I understand that practical realities forced modern gaming down the road it's on now, but there's no reason to subject myself to the crap AAA devs churn out, or the zero-budget, me-too indie games when there are so many great things I never had a chance to play from the PS2 era.

Teknoman

You arent the only one. I know at some point, a cool title for the newest systems will hit, but for the first time in awhile, im more hyped about exploring the past than anything else.

Also more people need to play Gitaroo Man and Mark of Kri.

This just came in:

And got these two awhile ago:

Some more should be coming in soon; namely, Battle Engine Aquila, Phantom Brave, Valkyrie Profile 2, and Drakan: The Ancients' Gate. Looking forward to playing some of these more obscure games (well, Nocturne and Xenosaga aren't, but the rest I had never heard of when I originally had a PS2).

Edit: Figured I'll post my wishlist too.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Crimson Sea 2
Crimson Tears
Culdcept
Gitaroo Man
Growlanser Generations
La Pucelle: Tactics
Mark of Kri
Mister Mosquito
Odin Sphere
Rise of the Kasai
Shadow Hearts Series
SMT: Devil Summoner 1+2
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1+2
Persona 3 FES
SkyGunner
Steambot Chronicles
Stella Deus
Way of the Samurai

I'm sure I'm missing some, but that's all I can think of, atm.

started! is Maximo good? and yeah i saw the Disgaeas & debated them but ive got so many J/SRPGs ill never finish, haha. and saw Damacy too, was sad leaving that one there but i think everyone i know who'd play it already does....

Definitely recommend Maximo. Was a good old school sort of game and the ending...damn hanger. Never got round to playing the sequel, but I'm sure it was as good.

^Oh hell no. I store them normally (shelf on right you can see more). If I stack anything like this, it's usually a really low number (5 or 6) but otherwise I generally dislike stacking as seen. Especially for GB games, my god!

Definitely recommend Maximo. Was a good old school sort of game and the ending...damn hanger. Never got round to playing the sequel, but I'm sure it was as good.

^Oh hell no. I store them normally (shelf on right you can see more). If I stack anything like this, it's usually a really low number (5 or 6) but otherwise I generally dislike stacking as seen. Especially for GB games, my god!

Haha, I remember stacking my GBA games as a kid to see how high I could make them. I was so mean to my games as a kid.

Maximo rules. Great nexus of old school and modern design sensibilities. Some folks on GAF will talk about how hard it is but it wasn't all that, really. Farm the coins early to purchase continues. In fact, the continue system is one of the things I love about that game. Wish more action games used something like it. Tough but fair.

Loxley

Well crap, I recently acquired a new PS2 because I've been yearning to play through some of my favorite games again (and just to have one in my permanent console collection) and I picked up some component cables along with it. Just my luck, the component ports on my TV appear to be busted. When I have them plugged in and the console turned on, my TV doesn't recognize that anything is plugged in. And to be sure it wasn't just the cables, I bought a second set of cables and yep, they didn't work either.

Man does it look ugly with the AV cables on an HDTV :(

*edit - /brofist to the OP for including The Mark of Kri in the 'hidden gems' section, it's my favorite console game of all time and the first game I reacquired for my collection.

Man, give me a couple of weeks and I'll have my own ps2 backlog marathon to participate in this thread. :D

Still working on the 3 ps1 games I got.

This is my backlog so far. Majority of these haven't been played, so its possible its shorter due to initial disappointing brush offs.

Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia
Ar tonelico 2: Melody of Metafalica
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny
Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Dark Cloud 2
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Grandia III
Growlanser: Heritage of War
Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy
Metal Saga
Radiata Stories
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha versus King Abaddon
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Shining Force EXA
Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
Suikoden Tactics
Suikoden V
Tales of Legendia
Tales of the Abyss
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Wild ARMs 3
Wild ARMs 4
Wild ARMs 5
Wild ARMs Alter Code: F

Good luck with that list.

Such an incredible system... FF10,12, Black, Twisted Metal, GTA:SA, et al..., Godhand, Primal, Psi-Ops (one of the best TPS ever). I miss PS2 glory days :(

koopas

Well crap, I recently acquired a new PS2 because I've been yearning to play through some of my favorite games again (and just to have one in my permanent console collection) and I picked up some component cables along with it. Just my luck, the component ports on my TV appear to be busted. When I have them plugged in and the console turned on, my TV doesn't recognize that anything is plugged in. And to be sure it wasn't just the cables, I bought a second set of cables and yep, they didn't work either.

Man does it look ugly with the AV cables on an HDTV :(

*edit - /brofist to the OP for including The Mark of Kri in the 'hidden gems' section, it's my favorite console game of all time and the first game I reacquired for my collection.

Plug in your standard rca cables, go into the system settings under browser. Go into output, make sure ycbcr is selected and NOT rgb. After that is changed try your components again. I was in the same boat as you (two pairs of cables) and finally realised the problem.

Give that a try before abandoning hope because man even the 480i games look ao much better over component.

Fox Mulder

Found fire pro wrestling returns cheap locally, I've always wanted to play it but never got around to it.

waiting for my component cables though.

Well I stopped at one of the big local 'retro' chains in the area and holy crap, their prices on PS2 games are insane. They think they can get $70 for Suikoden V. A quick eBay search shows complete copies going for $40 and sealed copies for $65.
TadkV.gif

It seems like all their "RARE" stuff is at least 30-50% HIGHER than eBay prices. Not PS2 related, but another amazing price is FF2 (SNES) for $110. LOL... That one goes for $30-40 online.
TadkV.gif

You guys are lucky you have local stores that don't sell their stuff at outrageous prices. :(

Danny Dudekisser

Well I stopped at one of the big local 'retro' chains in the area and holy crap, their prices on PS2 games are insane. They think they can get $70 for Suikoden V. A quick eBay search shows complete copies going for $40 and sealed copies for $65.
TadkV.gif

It seems like all their "RARE" stuff is at least 30-50% HIGHER than eBay prices. Not PS2 related, but another amazing price is FF2 (SNES) for $110. LOL... That one goes for $30-40 online.
TadkV.gif

You guys are lucky you have local stores that don't sell their stuff at outrageous prices. :(

My only local game store is a Gamestop.

That's not luck.

Rhysser

Banned
I need some PS2 related advice, and this seems like the most relevant thread (can't make my own).

Recently I had my backward compatible PS3 stolen from my house in a break in, which is my main method of playing my PS2 games. My insurance plan fully covers replacement, but the replacement has to be the latest model :( (in other words, they will buy a new PS3 and send it to me). Needless to say I need to find an alternative solution for my large library of PS2 games which I still continue to buy and play to this day.

Options:

1. Buy a PS2 - Perhaps the simplest method, but the small-size memory card, and having to swap etc can be a pain - I like to preserve my saved games indefinitely. Is there an easy solution to this? Larger memory cards that work reliably (I've read the larger ones don't work often), some sort of accessory to switch between many memory cards? Also a permanent spot in my living room for yet another console is not very appealing.

2. Emulation: Just how well can I expect this to work? I'm fairly computer-savvy and have a pretty good gaming laptop (should handle PCSX2 just fine without any issues) to hook up to my TV, but when I game on consoles I want the experience to be nice and easy. I don't want to mess with settings for every game (one initial setup for everything is ok), or issues with connecting controllers etc.

3. Sell the new PS3 I get and buy an older, backwards compatible model from ebay - how well are these holding up these days? Are they still robust enough to trust? Mine actually failed 3 years ago and I had sony refurbish it, and it's worked fine since then, but what can I expect these days?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fox Mulder

TadkV.gif

TadkV.gif

that happens sometimes. They looked it up on eBay and found the highest buy it now price that isn't actually selling.

retro stores are neat and all, but I can sit on eBay and pay the same or better and get to select the quality I want instead of whatever a store has.

koopas

I need some PS2 related advice, and this seems like the most relevant thread (can't make my own).

Recently I had my backward compatible PS3 stolen from my house in a break in, which is my main method of playing my PS2 games. My insurance plan fully covers replacement, but the replacement has to be the latest model :( (in other words, they will buy a new PS3 and send it to me). Needless to say I need to find an alternative solution for my large library of PS2 games which I still continue to buy and play to this day.

Options:

1. Buy a PS2 - Perhaps the simplest method, but the small-size memory card, and having to swap etc can be a pain - I like to preserve my saved games indefinitely. Is there an easy solution to this? Larger memory cards that work reliably (I've read the larger ones don't work often), some sort of accessory to switch between many memory cards? Also a permanent spot in my living room for yet another console is not very appealing.

2. Emulation: Just how well can I expect this to work? I'm fairly computer-savvy and have a pretty good gaming laptop (should handle PCSX2 just fine without any issues) to hook up to my TV, but when I game on consoles I want the experience to be nice and easy. I don't want to mess with settings for every game (one initial setup for everything is ok), or issues with connecting controllers etc.

3. Sell the new PS3 I get and buy an older, backwards compatible model from ebay - how well are these holding up these days? Are they still robust enough to trust? Mine actually failed 3 years ago and I had sony refurbish it, and it's worked fine since then, but what can I expect these days?

That sucks to hear, I have a 60gb ps3 also and until recently had been using it to play the bc liabrary. However, I was playing a top down shooter and was starting to notice some input lag. I got ahold of a slim ps2 with component cables and have been using that instead to help with the lag.

So to suggest a solution: not only would grabbing a ps2 second hand be a cheaper option in addition to the having a newer ps3 your insurance company will provide for you but it may in turn be the best way to experience those ps1 and ps2 titles without any milliseconds of delay.

Or of course you're a normal person and not get excited over a potential 'problem' that may or may not exist lol...

Rhysser

Banned
That sucks to hear, I have a 60gb ps3 also and until recently had been using it to play the bc liabrary. However, I was playing a top down shooter and was starting to notice some input lag. I got ahold of a slim ps2 with component cables and have been using that instead to help with the lag.

So to suggest a solution: not only would grabbing a ps2 second hand be a cheaper option in addition to the having a newer ps3 your insurance company will provide for you but it may in turn be the best way to experience those ps1 and ps2 titles without any milliseconds of delay.

Or of course you're a normal person and not get excited over a potential 'problem' that may or may not exist lol...

Actually that raises another question. How do PS2 games even look on HD TVs without the PS3 upscaling? I can't believe I forgot this one, as it was one of my main concerns as well.

Minimizing input lag is actually tempting and I didn't know it was an issue, though I mostly play RPGs so I'm not surprised I haven't noticed :)

Danny Dudekisser

Options:

Emulation's not good enough for the system yet that I would even consider replacing my PS2 with it.

Get a real PS2. It's way better than using a PS3. No compatibility issues, no added input lag. It's the best way to play your games, easily.

As for how a PS2 looks on an HDTV... it shouldn't be any worse than a PS3, really, though I suppose it does depend largely on your TV. If you have a plasma, great. It'll look fine. If you have an LCD... it'll probably look okay, as long as it's not a super, super old model.

koopas

I haven't noticed a difference for the most part. 480i vs 1080p upscaled is different for sure but I barely notice. I notice more playing ps1 games than I do ps2 games.

Now if your playing ps2 over composite that's a whole other ball game....

Went to GameStop today, didn't expect anything PS2 to be there...

(CAUTION SHITTY PIC QUALITY!)

gsps2full_zps91407a16.jpg

gsps21_zps4ba0a73d.jpg

gsps22_zpsc44fd5d5.jpg

gsps23_zps1480074e.jpg

Longest receipt I've gotten at GS

gsps2longassreceipt_zpsbd562047.jpg

$25. Worth it.

Nothing mind blowing but was surprised to find a few of these:

TOTAL HAUL:
Onimusha: War Lords
Onimusha 2
Onimusha 3
Obscure: Aftermath
Rampage Total Destruction
Jaws Unleashed
Samurai Legend: Musashi
Soul Reaver 2
Maximo
Dark Cloud
Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask
The Thing
Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2
War of the Monsters
Destroy All Humans!
Katamari Damacy
Mark of Kri
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
Bloodrayne
Romance of the Three Kingdoms: IX
The Bouncer
Full Metal Alchemist and the Broken Angel
Godzilla: Save the Earth

and

Taiko DRUM MASTER

------
I literally have no foreknowledge about 95% of these games. Help me out GAF, which ones are good, which should I pop into the disc tray first?

Open to trades by the way if you been looking for some of these!

IrishNinja

^nice haul! if you've really never played Katamari i say start there, some gems there but man, The Thing is this really interesting (and sometimes mean) little game, interested to see what you end of thinking of it.

Top Bottom