• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Appreciation & Celebration Thread, long live the King!

I just recently hit the 300 mark when it comes to PS2 games. I'm definitely still missing a lot of the library, but I've done a good job at picking up practically all of the Japanese stuff and RPGs. The only two titles that I'm missing that I'm actively looking for are Wizardry and Culdcept.

Feels good, man.

Teknoman

Updated list:

Wild Arms 4
Wild Arms Alter Code F
Xenosaga 3
Gitarooman
Clock Tower 3
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Mark of Kri
Rise to Honor
Radiata Stories
Ape Escape 2
Odin Sphere
SMT Devil Summoner 1 and 2 (Raidou) series
Raiden 3
Dawn of Mana
Grandia Xtreme
Grandia III
Blood will tell
Mega Man X 8

EDIT: How is Suikoden IV?

IrishNinja

haha tekno did you mention Soul Reaver 2 before? i knew i grabbed that for someone...either way, you're good there! and Suiko 4 i picked up (along with Tactics) a month or two back but haven't played yet...i recall reading that, like with V, if you have the option to play with HDD loader it's way better on the loading times, at least!

Sometimes I am close buying one AGAIN.
I've had the old fatty GT3 PS2 and two PS2 slims.

I really would like to buy one again but yeah, you'll get accustomed to the luxury of wireless controls, a HDD and HDMI from the PS3 and the idea of all those wires in my room (I know, a luxury problem!) aren't that attractive.

That's why I want Sony to release a new PS2 with wireless controls, HDMI, a HDD and PSN compatibility.

But that won't happen...

IrishNinja

yeah, i only bit cause its the only Suiko i never played, and it seems very unlikely we'll ever see another =/ for what its worth i was told Tactics really rounds off the experience, but im not sure how playing 2 games to make 1 less sucky is a great idea anyway

Teknoman

haha tekno did you mention Soul Reaver 2 before? i knew i grabbed that for someone...either way, you're good there! and Suiko 4 i picked up (along with Tactics) a month or two back but haven't played yet...i recall reading that, like with V, if you have the option to play with HDD loader it's way better on the loading times, at least!

I didnt mention it earlier, but went back to scan over my PS2 wants list, totally forgot to add it, but thanks all the same of course!

Teknoman

Guys, you can still get into full online matches of Star Wars Battlefront 2 on the PS2. This game is a beast.

Hmm...I might just have to track this one down. Never disconnected my network adapter. Would be nice if the Sony Pulse headsets worked on the PS2.

Drago

Welp, I just bought myself a white PS2 slim on a whim, along with component cables and Ape Escape 2. Only came out to $60 for the unit and 3 controllers (plus another $10 for cable and game, thank you gift cards), so I'm very happy. It's weird though, the item specifics said the console was Japanese but nothing was said regarding it in the description and everything else the seller had was North Ameican... am hoping that the unit is indeed NA and the seller was mistaken. He called the controllers "double shocks" so who knows, haha

Used to have a PS2 back when I was younger but the only games I ever played were Crash Bandicoot and licensed games, lol. Hoping to serve the system more justice now that I'm older and smarter :p

Welp, I just bought myself a white PS2 slim on a whim, along with component cables and Ape Escape 2. Only came out to $60 for the unit and 3 controllers (plus another $10 for cable and game, thank you gift cards), so I'm very happy. It's weird though, the item specifics said the console was Japanese but nothing was said regarding it in the description and everything else the seller had was North Ameican... am hoping that the unit is indeed NA and the seller was mistaken. He called the controllers "double shocks" so who knows, haha

Used to have a PS2 back when I was younger but the only games I ever played were Crash Bandicoot and licensed games, lol. Hoping to serve the system more justice now that I'm older and smarter :p
There were a few different slimline PS2s.
White North American PS2 slims were only available as SCPH-7900x model designations (with the singstar bundle) IIRC. If it's a SCPH-7700x or a SCPH-9000x, then it has to be Japanese, and there's still a chance a white SCPH-7900x model is Japanese.

pukko

Neo Member

Just look up the version number (SCPH-xxxxx) on the label on the bottom side. There are lists on the net where all the versions are listed and what region they are (I think all US versions ends with 01, but google to be sure).

Drago

Thanks for the model no. info. I'll check it out whenever I get the system in the mail

Pretty confident the unit will be North American though. Here's hoping!

If anyone's interested, I noticed that eStarland has brand new copies of Chulip available for $20. Not necessarily the best deal, but I've noticed that it's a game that a few people have been looking for in the Gamestop thread and $20 is in the ballpark of how much you'd pay for a used copy anyway.

https://www.estarland.com/Playstation2.cat..product.19177.html

Of course, I just bought the complete used copy they had for $10...

#330 - Samurai Western
#331 - Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land

zTeyihZl.jpg

Drago

Got my White PS2 slim in the mail today! And just as I suspected, it is indeed a North American 79001 model. 3 controllers also came in perfect condition but one was really dusty out of the box, ew. :I

Said it was gonna come with a memory card but it didn't so that kinda sucks. Contacted the seller about it so I hope she gets back to me about it... (edit: she got back to me and will be sending it out on Monday, nice)
On that topic, what is the best 128mb card for a PS2? Something that is very unlikely to corrupt is good enough for me lol

Would rather use the included 8mb official card for softmodding the system just so I can run GS Mode Selector (homebrew program that lets you output in higher resolutions). Anyone here have any impressions they can give about it? Being able to run everything in 480p would be fantastic. The composite output I'm getting right now while I wait for the component cables is pretty crap, and the list of officially supported 480p games is shorter than I would've hoped.

colonfrank91

Neo Member
I lost a lot of my games a few years ago but I still have a few lying around. Sony gave me some of my favorite memories on that console. Makes me appreciate it every time I see it next to its brothers.

IrishNinja

both those covers look dope, drtomoe123! i borrowed Samurai Western off the same buddy that got me onto Blood Will Tell, it's an interesting little game...i just remember deflecting bullets a lot.

Got my White PS2 slim in the mail today! And just as I suspected, it is indeed a North American 79001 model. 3 controllers also came in perfect condition but one was really dusty out of the box, ew. :I

Said it was gonna come with a memory card but it didn't so that kinda sucks. Contacted the seller about it so I hope she gets back to me about it... (edit: she got back to me and will be sending it out on Monday, nice)
On that topic, what is the best 128mb card for a PS2? Something that is very unlikely to corrupt is good enough for me lol

Would rather use the included 8mb official card for softmodding the system just so I can run GS Mode Selector (homebrew program that lets you output in higher resolutions). Anyone here have any impressions they can give about it? Being able to run everything in 480p would be fantastic. The composite output I'm getting right now while I wait for the component cables is pretty crap, and the list of officially supported 480p games is shorter than I would've hoped.

I've used GSM quite a bit, but I've only really tinkered around with 720/1080 and I know with those resolutions that if you can find a game it works with, it's beautiful. I should actually go back and try out some stuff with 480.

Also, props on the white slim. That was the slim I originally bought when my phat died on me the first time and it's beautiful.

I lost a lot of my games a few years ago but I still have a few lying around. Sony gave me some of my favorite memories on that console. Makes me appreciate it every time I see it next to its brothers.

Seriously. So much nostalgia.

both those covers look dope, drtomoe123! i borrowed Samurai Western off the same buddy that got me onto Blood Will Tell, it's an interesting little game...i just remember deflecting bullets a lot.

I've never had a chance to play it, so I'm excited about dicking around with it for a little bit. I've been looking for Wizardry forever so I'll probably try that out too once I get around to ripping it to my HDD.

This came in the mail yesterday!

#332 - Tsugunai: Atonement

ZmZyCGrl.jpg

So, I was wondering if anyone here could give me some recommendations for some PS2 games that I'm missing in my collection. I only have a Backloggery list with my games, so I totally understand if no one wants to go through that, but if anyone does, feel free to recommend any niche games that I might be missing. My collection is really Japan-heavy, so I'm mainly looking for any quirky stuff that might have fallen through the cracks, but if there's a cool Western game that I'm missing out on, feel free to recommend those, too.

Right now, my want list looks like:

Disaster Report
Chulip
Graffiti Kingdom
Culdcept

Teknoman

I think two more people snagged Culdcept in the 75% thread, so theres that. I couldnt find it unfortunately. If you're into FPS, Project Snowblind is pretty cool.

I noticed you had both ZoE games. If you want another good mech action game, try Another Century's Episode 3. Dunno if you can play JP games, but I noticed at least 1 Japanese game on your collection list (Raidou) so I assume you can.

I think two more people snagged Culdcept in the 75% thread, so theres that. I couldnt find it unfortunately. If you're into FPS, Project Snowblind is pretty cool.

I sniped a super cheap complete copy of Culdcept on eBay yesterday, but thanks for checking! I see that Snowblind is really cheap, so I'll go ahead and jump on that.

I noticed you had both ZoE games. If you want another good mech action game, try Another Century's Episode 3. Dunno if you can play JP games, but I noticed at least 1 Japanese game on your collection list (Raidou) so I assume you can.

I just watched a YT vid of one of the missions from that game and holy crap it looks legit. Graphically and gameplay-wise. Doesn't look like it's too expensive either. Definitely putting that on the list.

Drago

I've used GSM quite a bit, but I've only really tinkered around with 720/1080 and I know with those resolutions that if you can find a game it works with, it's beautiful. I should actually go back and try out some stuff with 480.

Also, props on the white slim. That was the slim I originally bought when my phat died on me the first time and it's beautiful.

It absolutely is. One of the best looking consoles I've ever seen, it's gorgeous (large crappy phone pic ahoy):

Really amazing how much smaller it is compared to the phat one. Truly impressive they got everything in there in such a small box, unless the phat was really empty inside and the parts were always tiny :p

Also, thanks for the input on GSM. Seems like I may try to softmod my system for it after all, hopefully 480p compatibility is a lot higher than 720/1080.

About memory cards: Anyone have experience with this 128mb memory card? As far as I'm aware Sony only ever made mem cards up to 8mb and I'd like to have one memory card and never worry about having to get a second, haha. Just worried about how likely it is to corrupt and whatnot.

It absolutely is. One of the best looking consoles I've ever seen, it's gorgeous (large crappy phone pic ahoy):

Really amazing how much smaller it is compared to the phat one. Truly impressive they got everything in there in such a small box, unless the phat was really empty inside and the parts were always tiny :p

Also, thanks for the input on GSM. Seems like I may try to softmod my system for it after all, hopefully 480p compatibility is a lot higher than 720/1080.

About memory cards: Anyone have experience with this 128mb memory card? As far as I'm aware Sony only ever made mem cards up to 8mb and I'd like to have one memory card and never worry about having to get a second, haha. Just worried about how likely it is to corrupt and whatnot.

Always get Sony branded memory cards. I lost all my saves back in the day because I used a 3rd party memory card.

FYI - if your Gamestop still has PS2 memory cards in stock they are $1.50 each.

Drago

Always get Sony branded memory cards. I lost all my saves back in the day because I used a 3rd party memory card.

FYI - if your Gamestop still has PS2 memory cards in stock they are $1.50 each.
I figure as much but it sucks they never offered anything higher than 8mb. Ah well.

I'll check my Gamestops about memory card stock, I'd happily pick up a few at that price.

tav7623

I've popped in & out of this thread every once in awhile and thought it was time to show off my modest PS2 game collection

I should note that the two games with no cover art are Onimusha Warlords & The Thing

EDIT: I recently (past 2 months) added Silent Hill 3, The Suffering, & Timesplitters 2 to my PS2 library

I figure as much but it sucks they never offered anything higher than 8mb. Ah well.

I'll check my Gamestops about memory card stock, I'd happily pick up a few at that price.

Yeah, I bought 4 at one of the Gamestops that still had PS2 stuff. Never can have enough memory cards! ;)

Drago

Yeah, I bought 4 at one of the Gamestops that still had PS2 stuff. Never can have enough memory cards! ;)
Yeah, checking the local stock and it seems my closest Gamestop has a few, gonna check in tomorrow and grab a bunch. If I can grab 3 (plus the one I'm getting in the mail soon, that's 32mb) I'll be more than pleased.

Man, collecting PS2 games is gonna be so daunting lol. There are so so many games I want to pick up and I feel we're starting to reach the point where PS2 game prices are gonna start rising like GameCube games have been as of late. Gotta get a start on it now before things get crazy. All I have right now is Ape Escape 2, some old and mostly junk childhood games and the discs I got from GS a few days ago that I'm gonna replace with boxed copies soon anyways.

Damaniel

Banned
I'm still working on my PS2 collection - just broke the 600 game mark on my last trip out. So many games, yet not even half way there...

While I haven't gone to check out the stuff at GameStop (I try to only collect complete and I figure that any games they have left by this point are disc only), one of the local game stores here is frequently doing 50% sales on their PS2 games. Every time they do, I try to go buy between 30 and 40 that I don't already have. I also managed to pick up a very nice (and more importantly, complete) PS2 Linux kit a few months ago, with all the original boxes, a PS2 that the previous owner specifically bought to use it with, and a sync-on-green compatible LCD monitor. I bought the PS2 Linux kit direct from Sony when it first came out, but lost most of mine (I do have a spare set of discs now though).

Also, it's amazing how well some of the PS2 classics hold up to this day. I went to visit my girlfriend's family last week, and they had bought a used PS2 just to buy and play Champions of Norrath and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Those were some of the best games on the system, especially multiplayer in Norrath.

The original model did have a big hollow bay to put your HDD (though, the original Japanese launch one didn't, actually) and the drive tray probably added necessary bulk. The power brick was external on the slim too.

Melchiah

While I was cleaning up the game locker, I had to take a pic of the collection as well.

QFS
32 PS2 games in total; SH2-3, Shadow of Memories, and SSX being the favorites.

EDIT: I still have the EU launch system as well, although it started having severe issues with reading discs after seven years of service.
dDqmn1Rl.jpg

I'm still working on my PS2 collection - just broke the 600 game mark on my last trip out. So many games, yet not even half way there...

While I haven't gone to check out the stuff at GameStop (I try to only collect complete and I figure that any games they have left by this point are disc only), one of the local game stores here is frequently doing 50% sales on their PS2 games. Every time they do, I try to go buy between 30 and 40 that I don't already have. I also managed to pick up a very nice (and more importantly, complete) PS2 Linux kit a few months ago, with all the original boxes, a PS2 that the previous owner specifically bought to use it with, and a sync-on-green compatible LCD monitor. I bought the PS2 Linux kit direct from Sony when it first came out, but lost most of mine (I do have a spare set of discs now though).

Also, it's amazing how well some of the PS2 classics hold up to this day. I went to visit my girlfriend's family last week, and they had bought a used PS2 just to buy and play Champions of Norrath and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Those were some of the best games on the system, especially multiplayer in Norrath.

Ugh, you're everything I aspire to be! I can't even think of 300 more games that I'd even want at this point, but I'm all for picking up stuff that I don't have.

#333 - Falling Stars
#334 - Chulip
#335 - Culdcept
#336 - Wipeout Fusion
#337 - Vampire Night

bOC4Td8l.jpg

gxWH4A9l.jpg

So happy to finally run into a reasonably priced copy of Return to Arms in the wild. I thought I already had the original, Champions of Norrath, but I realized that I didn't. The Half-Price Books near me has had a copy for like the past three months and OF COURSE I go in today to pick it up and it was gone. boy was I salty.

#338 - Champions: Return to Arms
#339 - Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel

QInP3mol.jpg

Wow my gamestop actually received some ps2 game shipments!

Grabbed Sakura Wars: So Long My Love and Persona 4 if anyone is interested in trading hit me up! p

GAFP4ampSakuraWarsGSpickups_zps82560e43.jpg

(Loose discs :(

koopas

My fatty PS2 seems to not want to read discs anymore. Are there any cheap tricks I can do that don't require me prying the thing open?

I dunno about prying, but you'll definitely need a screwdriver.

typically all you need to do to fix DREs is adjust a single cog (opening the system is required).

pukko

Neo Member
My fatty PS2 seems to not want to read discs anymore. Are there any cheap tricks I can do that don't require me prying the thing open?

Do you want to make it read discs again (don't know any good way to do that without opening it up, sorry) or softmodding it and rip your games and run from hdd?

RaikuHebi

Banned
After beating both FFX and Persona 4 Golden for the first time this month (as well as replaying MGS3 on Vita during Xmas) I am re-evaluating my favourite generation. It was PS1, but I think the PS2 takes the crown now. And thinking about the other classics I still have to try (FFXII, other SMT games, DQVIII, Jak & Daxter, PoP, DMC) and finish (ICO, SotC) reinforces that even more.

It's incredible that throughout the PS3 generation my most memorable gaming experience was FFVII and at the start of the PS4 generation my most memorable gaming experiences have been PS2 games.

Install FreeMcBoot and rip your games then run it from your computer HDD or USB.
Absolutely what I would recommend. He just needs to buy one of those memory card to USB adaptors, put the free MC boot files on and then he will have the ability to play games from the HDD. I have a Slim PS2 because my Fat broke all those years ago. Rather regretably my parents threw it away, could've resurrected that beast! On the bright side my Slim PS3 can play most PS2 games I throw at it and fat PS2s are pretty inexpensive these days. And eventually I hope to get a strong enough PC that can run PCSX2.

Absolutely what I would recommend. He just needs to buy one of those memory card to USB adaptors, put the free MC boot files on and then he will have the ability to play games from the HDD. I have a Slim PS2 because my Fat broke all those years ago. Rather regretably my parents threw it away, could've resurrected that beast! On the bright side my Slim PS3 can play most PS2 games I throw at it and fat PS2s are pretty inexpensive these days. And eventually I hope to get a strong enough PC that can run PCSX2.

Got any info on a memory card to USB adapter that works? I wrote a PS2 Hard Drive Installation Guide using SwapMagic, but if there's an easier and cheaper way, I'll revise.

Top Bottom