• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Git

Neo Member
I got a laptop with these specs:

i7-5500U up to 3.0 GHZ
GeForce Nvidia 920M
12 GB RAM

Can i run PS2 games like Burnout Revenge or Shadow Of The Colossus smoothly?

Visceir

I've been toying around with FF XII on PCSX2, I initially got PCSX 1.2.1 or something like that and was quite satisfied with how the game looked. Wanted to get shaders working and got PCSX 1.4.0 and can't geem to get the anti-aliasing to work on the text/menu items in game.

Could someone point me in the right direction on what settings are affecting this or how to get the anti-aliasing to work on text too?

No matter which settings I change doesn't seem to have an impact on how the text looks. I tried setting all the settings to the same I had them with 1.2.1, but the text is still super fuzzy and grainy. Help! :(

I've been toying around with FF XII on PCSX2, I initially got PCSX 1.2.1 or something like that and was quite satisfied with how the game looked. Wanted to get shaders working and got PCSX 1.4.0 and can't geem to get the anti-aliasing to work on the text/menu items in game.

Could someone point me in the right direction on what settings are affecting this or how to get the anti-aliasing to work on text too?

No matter which settings I change doesn't seem to have an impact on how the text looks. I tried setting all the settings to the same I had them with 1.2.1, but the text is still super fuzzy and grainy. Help! :(

Just a guess: Set "Texture Filtering" to "Bilinear (forced)". Some PS2 games don't filter fonts, so it needs to be forced in order to get a smoother results at higher resolutions.

Visceir

Just a guess: Set "Texture Filtering" to "Bilinear (forced)". Some PS2 games don't filter fonts, so it needs to be forced in order to get a smoother results at higher resolutions.

Thanks! That worked.

The game looks so freakin' good with the shaders on. Think I might still have to adjust them a little as they make the screen overly dark at times.

Turrican3

Due to a sudden nostalgia, I'm desperately trying to get a "patched" Winning Eleven (don't know now as I quit playing soccer games basically, but those were actually a thing some 10+ years ago) under PCSX2, with miserable results. :-\

By the way, I don't think that qualifies as piracy since I own the original, japanese game on which the patched version is based on.

Background: the patched version runs flawlessly on a modded PAL PS2.

Now, I know little to nothing about the PS2 boot process, but there's a thing I've just discovered: a small file on the game disc, named system.cnf apparently tells the OS which file has to be loaded for the game to start.

And here comes the first weird thing: despite running on the modded PS2 as I said before, on further investigation I discovered the system.cnf file of this patched version actually asks for a file that doesn't exist! So (obviously I guess) PCSX2 complains and immediately fails to boot the game.

Then, with a Hex editor I modified the iso (and in turn that system.cnf) to reflect the actual content of the disc, namely the bootable file.
Now, boot process goes a little further and PCSX2 doesn't complain anymore, but the emulated system just displays a (corrupted) logo first, then goes back to the console browser menu, the one with the memory cards and the disc icons.

Any suggestions?

Turrican3

^^ hmm, ok, solved.

Not knowing what else to do, I desperately extracted the non-working iso to a directory, put the system.cnf of the original, unpatched WE7 International in here and renamed, then added the patched (?) main executable to the iso directory.

Then I re-created the iso and... tah-dah, this time it booted flawlessly on PCSX2. ^__^

I hadn't tried this before because I thought the iso structure was hardcoded so I was worried that the aforementioned process would totally destroy the (virtual) disc.

carda114

Having some issues trying to emulate this title (Drakengard). For some reason, the game (very annoyingly) doesn't want to scale properly, so sometimes, seemingly at random, this happens:

BYKPOq8.png

It should look like this:

v7lQfkT.png

Anybody have suggestions? I can't think of what it is I can do differently except perhaps play in native resolution, but I shouldn't have to considering what other people have managed to do.

Used the specs in this video's description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8NBPD-Iks

I got a laptop with these specs:

i7-5500U up to 3.0 GHZ
GeForce Nvidia 920M
12 GB RAM

Can i run PS2 games like Burnout Revenge or Shadow Of The Colossus smoothly?

Nobody responded to you and you probably aren't paying attention anymore so maybe this is fruitless, but the short answer is that it varies from game to game.

On my old system, which was a Core 2 Duo with 2gb of RAM and a Radeon 6870, I could run games like Kingdom Hearts and the PS2 Remake of NiGHTS at full speed. DBZ Budokai 3 and Maximo would almost get full speed, and something like Burnout 3 would chug along at 15fps.

I rebuilt my whole system last month (4th gen Core i5, 16gb of RAM, Radeon 7860 or whatever) and I get full speed in a lot more games, but there's still stuff that's beyond me. Burnout 3 sometimes starts stuttering, for example. I don't even dare try games like Snake Eater.

There's a PCSX2 compatibility wiki that lists optimal settings for each game and known problems with emulation. It'll give you a good idea whether or not you'll be able to run something or if it's even supported (Burnout 3 has some rendering problems, for example)

me0wish

Having some issues trying to emulate this title (Drakengard). For some reason, the game (very annoyingly) doesn't want to scale properly, so sometimes, seemingly at random, this happens:

BYKPOq8.png

It should look like this:

v7lQfkT.png

Anybody have suggestions? I can't think of what it is I can do differently except perhaps play in native resolution, but I shouldn't have to considering what other people have managed to do.

Used the specs in this video's description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8NBPD-Iks

Try disabling scaling.

https://youtu.be/0xS-UCuyq7s

Asskicker

Has anyone gotten Burnout 3 to work decently? If so, would you mind sharing your config?

I'm on 1.4 and have the following spec:

• GTX 970
  • 8GB RAM
  • i5 3550 @ 3.30GHz

Tizoc

SEGA AGES Vol. 26 features Dynamite Deka 1.
It is also available on JP PSN.
At certain points the FPS takes a nosedive and everything slows to a crawl; has anyone tried this game on this emulator and managed to run it while eliminating any slowdowns?

Anyone have a link to the modified version that automatically uses a separate memory card for every game? Has that version every been updated?

Also what is the best way to make an iso from a disc on win 10?

jett

D-Member
I gave Ridge Racer V a try.

Keeps randomly dropping frames or even seemingly running at half refresh rate at times (but it does not slows down). However PCSX2 shows it's running at 100% without any framedrops, and so does FRAPS for that matter. Whatthefuck. I can't fix this no matter what settings I use.

I also tried Gitaroo Man. Similar deal, random stutters and noticeable framedrops, but according to PCSX2 everything's peachy. I watched some dude playing on Youtube and his video is perfect. :|

Dwayne

butwhy.gif

I mean, I guess it's nice, and I suppose Dolphin does it as well in the sense it plays Virtual Console games, but I can't imagine this being a highly requested feature.

Because no one is getting paid to do this, so they work on the parts they want to, when they want to. It's unlikely to be taking away from another part of development.

Trace

Banned
butwhy.gif

I mean, I guess it's nice, and I suppose Dolphin does it as well in the sense it plays Virtual Console games, but I can't imagine this being a highly requested feature.

I wouldn't mind having a solid PS1 emulator just so I can play Crash Bash with friends and still be able to save. Damn you PS2 memory cards not working for PS1 games!

dogen

Actually, under Emulation Settings -> Game Fixes, there's an option to automatically switch to software mode for FMVs.

peronmls

Actually, under Emulation Settings -> Game Fixes, there's an option to automatically switch to software mode for FMVs.

Ah sweet thanks. and yes I did search for a work around on the forums. PCSX2 wikis I noticed are hardly ever updated. I also have to switch to different GSDX plugins for certain games and didn't have the FMV feature so i didn't notice.

BNGames

I recorded some gameplay of My favorite PS2 game Tetsujin-28 Go and another great game by Sandlot called R.A.D. (Only robot game they made that made it to the west.)

MuP1f03.jpg

PC Specs:
COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W
Corsair h80i v2 Liquid Cooler
Intel Core i7-6700k 4GHz (Overclocked to 4.5GHz)
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (Overclocked to 2.1GHz, Memory Overclocked 500Mhz)
ASRock Z170 Pro4S LGA 1151 Intel Z170
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Im using all of the standard plugins that come with the Emulator, these are the video settings im using, ive not modified anything else

nhbksoL.png

Im also using Preset one since my Hardware is pretty Boss

GaUqnWj.png

Recorded the video using Nvidia Geforce Experience Desktop Capture.

The only real problem ive found is th FMV sequences flicker sometimes. It isn't consistent, sometimes the same video do, sometimes they don't.

Tetsujin 28-go Video: https://youtu.be/h0b_bYxCqbE

WSS2js7.gif

R.A.D Video: https://youtu.be/UBt7tW8Ay28

fW6LRDj.gif

DonMigs85

I've been toying with this emu again recently but still hate the fact games have this soft, interlaced look to them even at 4x internal res compared to Dolphin which looks so clean and sharp. Is there really no way around this? Even Gran Turismo 4 still looks bad if I enable 480p or 1080i in its options.

I've been toying with this emu again recently but still hate the fact games have this soft, interlaced look to them even at 4x internal res compared to Dolphin which looks so clean and sharp. Is there really no way around this? Even Gran Turismo 4 still looks bad if I enable 480p or 1080i in its options.

The only setting that effects it is the "CRC Hack Level" in the GSdx settings, I think. The higher you set it (the closer to "Aggressive"), the more it's supposed to help, but there really is no way to get rid of it because so many PS2 games use that feature for full-screen effects. It would break a lot of stuff if you could turn it off.

As to why there isn't a way to properly scale it up like Dolphin can do, well... that's a question for the PCSX2 devs, I suppose.

Joqu

Tried out Persona 3 on this but as nice as it looks portrait animations are borked on anything but native res. I've seen old fixes, but at the very least none of them are working on the latest version for me. Any ideas?

edit:

I'm talking about this stuff. The Wiki lists the problem too, with a solution, but as far as I can tell it doesn't work (anymore?)

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1501

Vertti

Has the hardware depth option been removed because I can not find it. Trying to play SH3 but the shadows aren't showing correctly and pcsx2 wiki says I need to enable hardware depth but it's nowhere to be seen.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm still on PCSX2 1.0.0. Any point in upgrading to 1.4.0?

Yeah .. 1.00 is very outdated. There's a LOT more frequent updates. Especially with the daily buildbot updates, the emulation and performance has improved tremendously even on low(er) end computers.

kromeo

I guess Shadow Hearts just doesn't emulate very well, my laptop (980m/6700hq) only gets about 40fps even at native res..

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I guess Shadow Hearts just doesn't emulate very well, my laptop (980m/6700hq) only gets about 40fps even at native res..

Shadow Hearts 1 ?

I had better luck playing it on Software because Hardware had too many glitches. Played very good on Software more (sans lack of resolution upgrades).

You might try adding scanlines with Shadow Hearts in software mode. I don't usually use scanlines, but I thought it made the visuals nicer looking in the game. Would love to play it in hardware mode though.

jett

D-Member
Has the hardware depth option been removed because I can not find it. Trying to play SH3 but the shadows aren't showing correctly and pcsx2 wiki says I need to enable hardware depth but it's nowhere to be seen.

You have to use the OpenGL hardware plug-in.

Tizoc

Anyone got SF Alpha Anthology to run properly? When I run SFA1 for example there is slowdown.
Note that I'm running in DX11 Software; is this what is likely affecting it?

Young Magus

Anyone got SF Alpha Anthology to run properly? When I run SFA1 for example there is slowdown.
Note that I'm running in DX11 Software; is this what is likely affecting it?

Naw Software mode works well with me.

Disable mipmapping and put rendering threads to 0. See what that does

Rektash

Y'all need to bind the hardware/software rendering toggle to your controllers. It's super convenient to be able to switch between the two modes on the fly.

I bound it to an upswipe of my DS4 touchpad and it's working like a charm!

Also, remember to set EE/FPU clamping mode to full for Shadow Hearts 1. Without this characters will sometimes be invisible outside of battles.

Using D3D9 also makes hardware mode a lot faster for SH1.

Top Bottom