• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Yes. Very much so. 1.0 must be like 3 years old by now.

Yeah .. 1.00 is very outdated. There's a LOT more frequent updates. Especially with the daily buildbot updates, the emulation and performance has improved tremendously even on low(er) end computers.

Thank you guys. I'm in the middle of a Digital Devil Saga 2 run on 1.0.0. Can I just install the latest PCSX and continue on my save file?

kromeo

Also, remember to set EE/FPU clamping mode to full for Shadow Hearts 1. Without this characters will sometimes be invisible outside of battles.

Using D3D9 also makes hardware mode a lot faster for SH1.

That made me laugh the first time, the only part of Yuri that showed up on the screen was his head. I gave up on the laptop, it runs fine at 60fps on the desktop

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I never cheat with quicksaves, so I should be good. ;) I'll try it later, thank you.

WEll since you never cheat, you wouldn't be interested in the fact that you can also use all the gamefaqs saves on PCSX2 too :p

But yeah, saves carry over via mem cards like a charm.

Tizoc

Tekken Tag 1 looks very blurry; any recommended gfx settings to use to lessne the effect and make it look better?

Anyone got a decent Yakuza configuration? I remember it being a bit problematic - I had one that was fine, but somehow lost it. Big issues for me are the bloom, lines on some flat textures (such as the title screen), and some stuttering.

Randam

okay, I started Ace Combat 5 today.
seems to run well.
enabled software mode to fix the ground textures.

but is there a way to do something about the aliasing?

I have tried to use PCSX2 a lot in the past but never seemed to get decent results. How well do you guys think the FX8350 would be able to handle the program?
Games like P3Fes run well but that's because the game isn't too demanding on the system. I also upgraded to an RX480 but that won't make much of a difference right? since it's pretty CPU heavy.

seems to run well.

You can enable FXAA in the shader configuration found at the bottom of Video/plugin settings, or some other post processing via external shaders (same menu).

Other than that, no. Software mode doesn't support higher resolutions.

I have tried to use PCSX2 a lot in the past but never seemed to get decent results. How well do you guys think the FX8350 would be able to handle the program?
Games like P3Fes run well but that's because the game isn't too demanding on the system. I also upgraded to an RX480 but that won't make much of a difference right? since it's pretty CPU heavy.

Intel CPUs are faster, but the FX8350 should still be able to run some/many games at fullspeed (not all though). Using speedhacks can get some games playable that aren't without.

neoxdonut

Any way to fix that weird cross on the screen in Yakuza?

NyyZEDn.jpg

RPGCrazied

I have a question about software rendering. I now have a gaming PC, and I can 4x native Rogue Galaxy and its pretty smooth. But some cutscenes(flashbacks) don't look right unless I use software rendering, and just like on my older computer(could barely play Rogue Galaxy 2x) but still have crushing framerates in software mode. Like mid 20's. I just want to see the cutscenes. Don't think I should be having this problem with me playing 4x on this game, probably one of the most demanding games to emulate.

Anyone help?

So Ace Combat 4 using OpenGL with mipmaps enabled seems to work perfectly at native res, EXCEPT that the lens flare effect is instead a static image that pops up anytime your plane is facing the sun. It's pretty annoying, I've been waiting a couple years for PCSX2 to be able to play the Ace Combat games, and it's finally SO close to emulating everything without any crashes or major graphical glitches, except for that one effect.

seems to run well.

I just started AC5 too, and OpenGL works perfectly after enabling mipmaps in one of the options. Might be worth looking into if SW mode gives you any framerate issues.

Still needs to be played at native res though, if I try to render higher then I get black vertical lines dividing the image into thirds.

I have a question about software rendering. I now have a gaming PC, and I can 4x native Rogue Galaxy and its pretty smooth. But some cutscenes(flashbacks) don't look right unless I use software rendering, and just like on my older computer(could barely play Rogue Galaxy 2x) but still have crushing framerates in software mode. Like mid 20's. I just want to see the cutscenes. Don't think I should be having this problem with me playing 4x on this game, probably one of the most demanding games to emulate.

Anyone help?

Config > Emulation Settings > Game Fixes > Check Enable Game Fixes & Switch to GSdx software rendering when an FMV plays.

If you've already done that and are still having problems with flashbacks I think you might have to use a custom resolution. I remember Xenosaga has that problem with certain flashback cutscenes and you had to use a specific resolution to see them properly.

Also enable shade boost 70 50 55 if you haven't! Looks gorgeous.

Bump for my previous post hahah

Could anyone share his/her config?
I'm a noob lol
I have:
16gb RAM
Nvidia Geforce GT960M 4gb

Thanks in advance for the help.

Would appreciate some help with the settings, so I can take the best advantage of the emulator.

I'm a noob lol
I have:
16gb RAM

Would appreciate some help with the settings, so I can take the best advantage of the emulator.

Are you trying to play a specific game? Generally just leave all settings at default and crank up the internal resolution until you start having slowdowns. Only mess with the other configs on a per-game basis if you're having graphical glitches.

The Stealth Fox

Does anyone have any settings for Ace Combat 4? Hardware mode runs well but I have stupid annoying visual glitches (the black plane is annoying). Software mode has near perfect emulation but the game then slows to a crawl when entering third person mode. Ace Combat Zero ran near perfect for me.

Specs: i5-4690k at stock, gtx 970, 16 gb RAM

Does anyone have any settings for Ace Combat 4? Hardware mode runs well but I have stupid annoying visual glitches? Software mode has near perfect emulation but the game then slows to a crawl when entering third person mode. Ace Combat Zero ran near perfect for me.

Using OpenGL, enabling mipmaps and running at native res seems to fix most of the major graphical problems. Intro video still looks fucked up, but the only major graphics issue I had was that lens flare was a weird image instead of a proper graphical effect.

AC5 has a similar problem, but it's only shows up in explosions caused by a weapon in the plot (so only happens very briefly in some missions). The lens flare issue in AC4 was too much of a problem for me, but AC5 is very playable.

epmode

I really love PCSX2 but I've run into a problem with one game that's driving me crazy:

SSX3 looks SO GOOD. But! But but but. It has this graphics glitch where the snow trails left by other riders are visible through the terrain. So if I'm about to jump off a big hill, I'll see the trails of riders that are ahead of me through the hill.

Is anyone else familiar with this bug? Is there a fix?

me0wish

I'm a noob lol
I have:
16gb RAM

Your specs seem fine, I don't think your processor will be bad based on the specs you've provided, but you should list your processor.

Also, one thing that could help is telling us which game you're having problems with and what are the issues you're having, and what are the graphical enhancements you are generally looking for.

Feel free to PM me, I'd love to help!

Is there any way to get God Hand running at 60FPS?
Game seems to be running fine from the quick look I've taken. Do you mean like increase FPS from 30 to 60fps hack? I don't think that's possible.

AC5 and AC0 are complete accurate on the latest git 1.5 builds, with the following tricks:

Use D3D 9 or 11 Hardware (D3D11 Hardware gives me blackscreen in the menus but fine in gameplay, D3D 9 has no issues.)
Set internal resolution to 1000 x anything. (horizontal must be 1000 or below)
Set mipmap to basic.

Runs full speed on an i5 4590 and GTX960.

AC4 using the same settings is also fine other than the plane being black and lens flare looking kind of terrible.

The Stealth Fox

AC5 and AC0 are complete accurate on the latest git 1.5 builds, with the following tricks:

Use D3D 9 or 11 Hardware (D3D11 Hardware gives me blackscreen in the menus but fine in gameplay, D3D 9 has no issues.)
Set internal resolution to 1000 x anything. (horizontal must be 1000 or below)
Set mipmap to basic.

Runs full speed on an i5 4590 and GTX960.

AC4 using the same settings is also fine other than the plane being black and lens flare looking kind of terrible.

I'm hoping they'll be able to fix AC4 soon.

AC0 was wonderful with 3x native and 16x AF and there was only one visual glitch with his second phase weapon on the final boss (any way to fix this?)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Has Ridge Racer V been improved at all? Cars still glitched?

Are you trying to play a specific game? Generally just leave all settings at default and crank up the internal resolution until you start having slowdowns. Only mess with the other configs on a per-game basis if you're having graphical glitches.
Nothing specific, most of the games are RPG though (Xenosaga, SO3, VP2 and others)

Your specs seem fine, I don't think your processor will be bad based on the specs you've provided, but you should list your processor.

Also, one thing that could help is telling us which game you're having problems with and what are the issues you're having, and what are the graphical enhancements you are generally looking for.

Feel free to PM me, I'd love to help!
Thanks for the help, I'll see how it goes and PM you if something shows up making problems.

Vic_Viper

Recently finished building my new PC. Think I've got most of my settings right but not sure what the most ideal configuration would be since I don't know what half the settings do.

Looking to play Dirge of Cerberus FFVII and Xenosaga. I have slight stuttering/hitching here and there in both and there's a line straight down the middle of the screen in Dirge.

My PC setup:

GTX 1070
Intel i5 6600k 3.5
16gb DDR4 Ripjaw 3000
MSI Z170A mobo

Vic_Viper

Can someone tell me if Yakuza and SMT: Nocturne emulation is still borked ?

Pretty sure Yakuza runs fine. I played the first hour or so and it ran much better than most games I've been trying without much tinkering.

Not sure about Nocturne, but DDS and Devil Summoner run great also.

Brannon

I finished Yakuza 1 using PCSX2. It is 100% finishable and I had no problems at all.

If you don't mind me asking, did you experience any input lag while playing Yakuza 1, and if not, what were your settings? I have V-Sync off but it's still there for me.

Kadin

Any ideas if the screenshot below looks normal? If you notice on all the characters, they seem to have a halo or shadow on the right side of them (look at their hair and arms). Basically their image is being partially duplicated and looks off to me. I don't have my PS2 hooked up atm but if I need to, I'll fire it back up later to try and see if this was how it was in the game natively.

edit: oh and I'm using most of the settings here with a few tweaks to internal res and some others to make it sharper.

vnmN3hK.jpg

Oh and for what it's worth, in-game characters look fine when playing like below, the above is only during cut scenes.

linko9

On windows 10, I'm getting a significant amount of input lag regardless of my settings. This is the same input lag I would get with any game running in windowed or borderless windowed mode. Unfortunately Pcsx2 does not support true fullscreen, so there's no easy way to get rid of the lag. Makes many games nearly unplayable for me. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Seems unlikely that the solution will be found within the emulator, as is simply does not support fullscreen, but perhaps something at the OS level?

chrislowe

Tried pcsx2 on the kids pc (i5 2500k not overclocked + gtx560) and every game so far has run 60hz with no trouble. Impressive.

But the image feels unsharp. Tried klonoa 2 and my eyes hurt after a few minutes since my eyes tried to sharpen up what I saw.

I have vsync on since I thought it could be the interlace acting up but it still feels unsharp.
Using x4 in upscaling btw.

What todo?

etking

Banned
With FF12 using DX9 or OGL might fix the problem. I had so many issues with DX11 and invisible reflective textures two years ago and it helped a lot. Also some of the advanced graphics options seemed to heavily affect encounter rate rate and mini map back then, but I cannot remember the details any more.

I also recommend to use a current development build since there have been so many improvements within the last year.

Tried pcsx2 on the kids pc (i5 2500k not overclocked + gtx560) and every game so far has run 60hz with no trouble. Impressive.

But the image feels unsharp. Tried klonoa 2 and my eyes hurt after a few minutes since my eyes tried to sharpen up what I saw.

I have vsync on since I thought it could be the interlace acting up but it still feels unsharp.
Using x4 in upscaling btw.

What todo?

pcsx2 has integrated post processing filters that might help you with that, you might have to enable external shaders on gsdx and the HOME key is for enabling it ingame. In the ini file, lanczos scaling and unsharp mask should help you sharpen the image. I don't know if reshade works with pcsx2 but you could do the same and more stuff with it.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Custom-Shaders-for-GSdx?pid=288516#pid288516
http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/External_shaders

Outside of that it's just the ps2 and game assets being too low res, you can also play around with texture filtering but the less texture filtering you'll get more pixelated textures.

chrislowe

the textures look good, but its the edges of polygons that is really strange.
I did try Dragons Quest and that one looked much better.

I remember in the youth that some PS2 had problems with its interlace (like those super-jaggy screenshots of Ridge Racer V) so I guess some games have more problems than others.

Thanks, will try both dx9 and some filtering to see what can be done =)

Top Bottom