• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Game spotted in Live From PlayStation playing on PS4. Might be fake, not sure.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sony should give free PS1/PS2 games for PS+ members instead of the junk we receive each month.
They use too on PS3 in the early days perhaps they'll repeat that now if PS4 is getting BC support.

5taquitos

Sony should give free PS1/PS2 games for PS+ members instead of the junk we receive each month.

Phase out PS3 offerings and supplant it with PSNow credit, bolster PS4 selections, toss in a classic PS1/2 game or two a month, and PS+ would be perfect.

Assuming PS1/2 on PS4 actually happens of course.

I wouldn't mind them in addition to the current offerings each month, but if it were old games and nothing else people might feel like they're getting ripped off.

Wait wait wait... What's wish all this talk of DISC BASED emulation ?

I've seen speculation that users can insert discs of supported games to download the digital version, but that's about it.

I'd be enthralled if we could play any game via disc and I imagine software emulation would accomplish this, though I don't have much faith in that being plausible.

I've wanted this feature for so long and it seems so close now but I'm still not sure if I should trust those rumors and get hyped for it..

Apathy

I've seen speculation that users can insert discs of supported games to download the digital version, but that's about it.

I'd be enthralled if we could play any game via disc and I imagine software emulation would accomplish this, though I don't have much faith in that being plausible.

They would be publishers permission to do so just like Microsoft does with its BC.

Elios83

I don't think that disc based compatibility is happening. It will be like on PS3. Digital catalogue and classics you have already bought on the store will be playable on PS4 as well.

Andrefpvs

I don't think that disc based compatibility is happening. It will be like on PS3. Digital catalogue and classics you have already bought on the store will be playable on PS4 as well.

Every PS3 is compatible with PS1 discs, and they run on an emulator, so it's not like there isn't a precedent.

One of the biggest pitfalls of the PS4 version of Singstar was the terrible fucking backwards compatibility.

It couldn't read PS3 or PS2 discs.

Do my PS3™ and PlayStation®2 discs also work on PS4™?

PS2 and PS3™ discs are not backwards compatible with PS4™ due to the PS4™ console not being able to read PS2 and PS3™ disc formats. The disc swap feature still exists on PS3™ only.

Singstar got its last update back in March. They haven't updated a single fucking bit of since then, and it's broken as fuck. Their twitter account got active a bit again in the last week.

@CristianFMontes There haven’t been any SingStore updates anywhere since March. We’re working on a new one. Stay tuned for news!
https://twitter.com/SingStarHQ/status/644438763951755264

Without being able to read PS2/PS3 discs, Singstar on PS4 was essentially a worthless application, because their DLC was only partially ported over. Maybe 1/4th of my songs got relicensed.

I wonder if these two events (Singstar update, PS2 games) are linked together...
IE: Adding support for a PS2 emulator on the PS4 enables the discs to load...

Hasney

No permission required for simply adding disc-based emulation.

Not required, but yet what MS are doing. In the unlikely event it plays old discs but it's not a 90%+ compatible emulator, they'd probably do the same. Makes if easier to get them to check for issues to be sold on PSN again as well as enabling the disc.

Agent X

No permission required for simply adding disc-based emulation.

True, and this is why it would be preferable to enable true disc-based emulation, instead of using the disc as a "key" to enable a pre-cooked download.

Gamers would be able to (theoretically) play any PS1/PS2 disc they already own instantly, without being forced to wait for the game to download.

Since no additional game download would be required, this would also alleviate bandwidth use, and there would be less stress on the PSN servers.

Jigorath

Banned
It's starting to seem pretty likely that this is happening. It'd be killer if they did one of those "available now!" sort of announcements with PS2 classics being available right after their PSX show.

If they are using a wrapper for the games due to trophies and other enhancements then it makes more sense to me to do it that way. Unless they are going to run disc-based games without the enhancements.

This is, of course, if they even let us use our discs in the first place.

Nothing about enabling graphical or trophy enhancements actually requires downloading an entire ISO package. The firmware based emulator can simply use a game specific profile based on the disc ID. MS only does it that way because their multiple Virtual Machine OS necessitates it. And it introduces the problem of needed to get new distribution rights from publishers. A small packet of emulator settings and trophy triggers that could be downloaded on demand would have no such roadblocks.

One of the biggest pitfalls of the PS4 version of Singstar was the terrible fucking backwards compatibility.

It couldn't read PS3 or PS2 discs.

Singstar got its last update back in March. They haven't updated a single fucking bit of since then, and it's broken as fuck. Their twitter account got active a bit again in the last week.

https://twitter.com/SingStarHQ/status/644438763951755264

Without being able to read PS2/PS3 discs, Singstar on PS4 was essentially a worthless application, because their DLC was only partially ported over. Maybe 1/4th of my songs got relicensed.

I wonder if these two events (Singstar update, PS2 games) are linked together...
IE: Adding support for a PS2 emulator on the PS4 enables the discs to load...

I really hope it does, because right now the PS4 useless on that front. I've still got the PS3 connected for Singstar/Buzz moments.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Brad Grenz said:
MS only does it that way because their multiple Virtual Machine OS necessitates it.
They offer DD to monetize BC, and always using it simplifies things(single distribution channel), and also controls compatibility better meaning a better user experience (only a single version of the game to test and support).
That and the fact that X1 doesn't play anything directly from discs, so bypassing DD would still mean installs for disc-users.

There's also the part where licensing discs to accounts removes them from rental/other distribution channels, which appeals to platform holders and publishers alike (not so much the consumers, but I guess 2 years past people aren't so negative about it anymore).

I'm not sure if Sony actually "can" do this with PS2/PS1 though - I don't recall any of the disc formats having unique IDs until PSP at least, so there's literally nothing you can tie to an account that I know of.

They offer DD to monetize BC, and always using it simplifies things(single distribution channel), and also controls compatibility better meaning a better user experience (only a single version of the game to test and support).
That and the fact that X1 doesn't play anything directly from discs, so bypassing DD would still mean installs for disc-users.

There's also the part where licensing discs to accounts removes them from rental/other distribution channels, which appeals to platform holders and publishers alike (not so much the consumers, but I guess 2 years past people aren't so negative about it anymore).

I'm not sure if Sony actually "can" do this with PS2/PS1 though - I don't recall any of the disc formats having unique IDs until PSP at least, so there's literally nothing you can tie to an account that I know of.

It wouldn't have to be tied to the account if you require the disc to be present in the drive in order to play

It's starting to seem pretty likely that this is happening. It'd be killer if they did one of those "available now!" sort of announcements with PS2 classics being available right after their PSX show.

PSX is on a weekend and occurs after the release of PS2 Star Wars games on PS4.

On the other hand, Sony has a conference the day before PGW, on a Tuesday, which would fit very well with an "available now."

I don't know that the day matters as much as the relative release of those Star Wars games, but it still seems like PGW is the best bet. At least until it doesn't happen there and I start desperately praying for it to be at PSX.

5taquitos

PSX is on a weekend and occurs after the release of PS2 Star Wars games on PS4.

On the other hand, Sony has a conference the day before PGW, on a Tuesday, which would fit very well with an "available now."

I don't know that the day matters as much as the relative release of those Star Wars games, but it still seems like PGW is the best bet. At least until it doesn't happen there and I start desperately praying for it to be at PSX.

There's always the chance that those Star Wars games are just a voucher for when they become available sometime in the future.

Wading through junk is a necessary evil in order to find the gems.

DAE73EBC07E060DB3837ED9C668FF506CD098BBB

teiresias

For agrument's sake let's assume disc-based emulation is out and it's strictly what's available via PSN.

I, for one, still remember the debacle with SCEA releasing like five PS1 games that were compatible when Vita first got PS1 BC enabled, and announced they were going to dribble them out onesy and twosey over months. At the same time SCEE and SCEJ released hundreds of games that same day.

Hopefully, someone a bit more competent is in charge of this at SCEA this time around and doesn't pull that kind of BS again.

Withnail

Which would still require an announcement of some kind.

When PS2 games became available for PS3 there was no announcement, they just casually put them in the store update one week.

Not saying that would happen again, but just that a big stage show is not a fundamental requirement.

If Sony gave away past-gen games on PS+ people would still be complaining about getting "junk" when they realise most PS1 games (and some PS2 games) have aged badly.

texore

Sources report next months PS plus games will include previous PS2 classics Disney Princess: Enchanted Journey and Dora the Explorer: Dora Saves the Crystal Kingdom

They use to give PS1 games away on pS+ during the early years of it.

Got all the PS1 Resident Evil games and the Crash games that way I think. Plus Silent Hill 1 and maybe some others I am forgetting about.

People will always complain but stuff like that would be better then the half assed ports of bargain basement Steam games PS+ has been getting a lot of.

Also I have a feeling here they will come up with a reason why PS Classics already purchased on PS3 and so on wont carry over to PS4.

Slaythe

They use to give PS1 games away on pS+ during the early years of it.

Got all the PS1 Resident Evil games and the Crash games that way I think. Plus Silent Hill 1 and maybe some others I am forgetting about.

People will always complain but stuff like that would be better then the half assed ports of bargain basement Steam games PS+ has been getting a lot of.

Also I have a feeling here they will come up with a reason why PS Classics already purchased on PS3 and so on wont carry over to PS4.

That's a shitty feeling. No way in hell they attempt it.

Top Bottom