• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Game spotted in Live From PlayStation playing on PS4. Might be fake, not sure.

People asked for this, of course they gonna announce it on a bigger event. I'd say PSX with the new FW released after or right before it.

Yup, it'll be a point in Paris Games Week or PSX for sure. It won't be a "last bombshell" kind of one, but surely on a firmware/PSN -part "oh yeah, we also brought Classics back"

Hollow

I'd be happy if it's just the PS Classics making their way to the PS4.

Being able to play Persona 3 and 4 with a good resolution and filtering would be nice and would mean I can finally retire my PS3.

Percy

Banned
The idea of slightly touched up PS2 games would be nice, if not for the fact that I don't believe for a second this'll be tied to the PS2 classics already purchased on PS3 and we'll have to pay again for the PS4 versions.

Believe me, I'd be overjoyed if I could play my downloaded God Hand, GTAs and such, but not if I'd have to pay for them again to do so... Which is almost guaranteed to happen imo.

What about ps1 games

Also this.

It's Sony, so here is how it will work.

- Only a few games are supported and have to be manually updated
- The list is randomly different between regions
- Some games randomly have to be downloaded to the PS3 and transferred via floppy disks without the store telling you
- The PS4 whitelisting switches off at random times without anyone at Sony noticing

It'll be great

They can't even manage a decent and consistent level of compatibility between PS Vita and PSTV, which basically run on the same hardware, so I've got fuck all confidence in this going well.

Lime

- Some games randomly have to be downloaded to the PS3 and transferred via floppy disks without the store telling you
- The PS4 whitelisting switches off at random times without anyone at Sony noticing

It'll be great

Yes this is what I have come to expect from them. Your post is pretty much on point. Their concepts are great, the execution is fucking horrendous.

It'll be great

After how classics work on PSP, PS3, and Vita?

The PS4's download system is a mess, however.

My post literally describes how classics/games work between PS3 and Vita (and Vita TV). That's the point.

Except the point I think people keep forgetting is, Sony doesn't care about the Vita and cares even less about the PS TV. I'm not saying something won't be screwed up in some way, but I have to imagine they'll handle it better than they did for the Vita and TV.

The Vita thing is bizarre, because, if I'm not mistaken, it was a SCEA only issue? Unless it was experienced in Europe as well?

Except the point I think people keep forgetting is, Sony doesn't care about the Vita and cares even less about the PS TV. I'm not saying something won't be screwed up in some way, but I have to imagine they'll handle it better than they did for the Vita and TV.

Sure. Possibly. Maybe.

But nothing Sony has done with PSN on PS4 so far gives me confidence that they learned anything.
The Vita thing is bizarre, because, if I'm not mistaken, it was a SCEA only issue? Unless it was experienced in Europe as well?

SCEE is probably even worse.
"New" PSP games launch without Vita compatibility by default.
The PS3-> Vita transfer thing seems to be more of a SCEA issue though afaik.

Human_me

World wide. Edit: I stand corrected. I know Europe had it, I remember reports of parts of asia getting it as well.

That was a great weekend until they fixed it.
I still have a load of PS1 games on my Vita that if I delete I won't ever get on there again.

World wide.

That was a great weekend until they fixed it.
I still have a load of PS1 games on my Vita that if I delete I won't ever get on there again.

It's not an issue with the Japanese store.

You won't get them again because you no longer have the PS3 to transfer them from, or you won't get them again because of some other whitelisting issue?

hodgy100

It'll be great

the vita ps1 game support is likely due to licensing shenanigans. I'd bet there isn't much they can do about it.

Human_me

It's not an issue with the Japanese store.

You won't get them again because you no longer have the PS3 to transfer them from, or you won't get them again because of some other whitelisting issue?

Oh I still have a PS3, Its more of a whitelisting issue.
Where some games won't transfer to the Vita despite them working.
Command and conquer is one example.

hodgy100

Because SCEJ actually cares about the store and the classics section. The JP PSN store is miles ahead of the other regions in pretty much every way.

And why would that be different for classics on the PS4?

It wouldn't be. I'm saying that while yes those things you say are true, there is a reason for it.

Piccoro

And why did you wrote "randomly"?

It's just like hodgy100 said. Each region has to deal with licensing issues. It's not "random".

But I agree that the Japanese store is much better with the Classics. The PSOne catalog on the JP store is insane!

Because SCEJ actually cares about the store and the classics section. The JP PSN store is miles ahead of the other regions in pretty much every way.

I'm hoping that SCEJ's continuation to release PS2 classics corroborates this story and they've been working to get them PS4 compatible as well. Perhaps the work that SCEJ does in getting the games running on PS4 can lay the groundwork for other regions as well.

Oh I still have a PS3, Its more of a whitelisting issue.
Where some games won't transfer to the Vita despite them working.
Command and conquer is one example.

Jesus, what a mess.

And why did you wrote "randomly"?

It's just like hodgy100 said. Each region has to deal with licensing issues. It's not "random".

But I agree that the Japanese store is much better with the Classics. The PSOne catalog on the JP store is insane!

Vita compatibility for PSP titles is switched off at random times for no reason until someone complains to Sony and it comes back weeks later. That's just one example.
Suikoden I and II launched with different PS3/PSP/Vita compatibility configurations between US and EU even though the games were newly submitted and supposed to work on everything.

I was exaggerating for comedic effect, but it's not only licensing, it's also terrible technical implementation and quality control on the PSN side. And a general lack of giving a fuck about the store.

Drackhorn

It'll be great

Yep pretty much this (at least the first two points).

Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins is still not available in Europe. Capcom said it was a eu fw issue... 3 years ago. On the bright side with PS4, I just change to a different store and buy it there. Vita is just a pain in the ass to do so.
There was even a capcom-unity thread about this, where Svensson said they look into it. It was closed silently with no answer given.

Human_me

Jesus, what a mess.

Heres the thing, when the "event" happened it proved that it wasn't a technical issue, but they purposely labelled some PS1 games as non-working on the Vita. Despite them working 100% with no issues.

This means they are purposely holding back games for little reason.
You could speculate that the cause is some sort of licensing agreement that isn't valid for the Vita but is valid for the PSP and PS3, but Sony haven't said one way or another.

The whole thing was a massive mess which they then made no comment about.

Heres the thing, when the "event" happened it proved that it wasn't a technical issue, but they purposely labelled some PS1 games as non-working on the Vita. Despite them working 100% with no issues.

This means they are purposely holding back games for little reason.
You could speculate that the cause is some sort of licensing agreement that isn't valid for the Vita but is valid for the PSP and PS3, but Sony haven't said one way or another.

The whole thing was a massive mess which they then made no comment about.

It's them not saying anything about it that bothers me.

Because a lot of games transfer, including really big ones. MGS1, Soul Reaver, Tomb Raider Anniversary, and more.

But a lot of games don't transfer, including really big ones. Crash, Spyro, Logan's Shadow, and more.

It's very common for people to buy a Vita with the intention of playing one or more of these games. And if they're a layperson, they have no idea what works and how.

The Vita Reddit has, like, a post a month asking how to get Crash and Spyro over.

It's really a pain.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
We got a tip and screens from someone who shows that War of the Monsters (PS2) is being played on PS4.

Also, yeah, someone else is playing Siren as well.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...s4-thanks-firmware-update-3-00-beta/#/slide/1

I've reached out to Sony regarding yesterday's sreengrab and haven't heard back. Doubt I will, but it's worth a shot. I gather, unless there's something annoying about it, just confirm the thing and get it over with, no?

But yeah, maybe saving it for PGW or PSX.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
We got a tip and screens from someone who shows that War of the Monsters (PS2) is being played on PS4.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...s4-thanks-firmware-update-3-00-beta/#/slide/1

I've reached out to Sony regarding yesterday's sreengrab and haven't heard back. Doubt I will, but it's worth a shot. I gather, unless there's something annoying about it, just confirm the thing and get it over with, no?

I just want them to hurry up and confirm if this is happening. I still have my PS2 hooked up...

ViciousDS

Banned
People asked for this, of course they gonna announce it on a bigger event. I'd say PSX with the new FW released after or right before it.

Testing the FW for that long? they said youtube support for fall if I remember correctly, so I'd say it will be announced at Paris with the release coming before PSX

With ps1 and ps2 titles i could play mgs titles.

Gimme

nah....Xenosaga.....omg I want to play that trilogy so bad with good emulation on my PS4. I own all 3 and don't feel like dragging my giant ass tower to the TV

Blanquito

I just realized that I played War of the Monsters for hours from a little PS Underground demo disk (or something similar). Had totally forgotten about that.

Cleve

Testing the FW for that long? they said youtube support for fall if I remember correctly, so I'd say it will be announced at Paris with the release coming before PSX

nah....Xenosaga.....omg I want to play that trilogy so bad with good emulation on my PS4. I own all 3 and don't feel like dragging my giant ass tower to the TV

Giant ass HDMI cable not long enough? I have a 100 foot one that works great for long runs.

So will it upscale it to HD like that one rumor suggested a while back?

I'd love an hd-enhanced mode that might be a little janky and a classic mode which strives to look as close to the source as possible. Realistically I don't see any games getting a 1080 mode just for QC reasons.

Yasumi

Banned
So how would games that make use of the pressure sensitive buttons work? I don't see MGS 2 or 3 ever happening.

Garlador

Disc based emulation would be fucking amazing. It won't happen though. :c

Hold out hope!

Disc-based would certainly circumvent a huge problem of re-licensing old games for re-release. A lot of my favorite PS1 titles are by defunct companies or games whose rights changed hands a half-dozen times already.

wwm0nkey

War of the Monsters!? Fuck Yes!

Shenmue

Banned

Is that possible? 3.0 isn't even out in the wild yet. I don't think major FW has ever really been closer than 6 months apart.

EDIT: Just read up a couple of posts. There's talk this will somehow be added INTO 3.0?!?!

androvsky

Is that possible? 3.0 isn't even out in the wild yet. I don't think major FW has ever really been closer than 6 months apart.

EDIT: Just read up a couple of posts. There's talk this will somehow be added INTO 3.0?!?!

It would make sense for it to be a separate app, with whatever underpinnings it needs built into the firmware. A large number of "stability" updates on the PS3, PSP, and Vita were for updating the emulators to fix bugs and allow more games to be added on the stores. With the PS4's firmware update schedule I think they'd rather update a single app not everyone is using. The downside is you'll need internet to get the app, but I think that's a trade-off most people are willing to make now.

Top Bottom