• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Hidden gems

Another vote for Shadow Hearts: Covenant. It was a simply amazing RPG.

Also a vote for BoF V: Dragon Quarter. I remember really disliking it at the time and then going back to it and tinning it was incredible. I think the fact it was so different to the other BoF games hurt it a lot, because long-term series fans were put off and nobody else bought it.

I also see somebody recommended Chaos Legion. All is right with the world. I have no idea if that game was actually any good, but I remember having lots of fun and loving the OST.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
It's a bit of plastic you use to pull the disc tray out and swap for another game while the boot disc is idling. You will need to remove the face plate from a PS2 disc drawer to use it.

ps2-slide-tool-with-swap-magic-cd-3-6-dvd-3-6-6137109z0.jpg

It was the only way I could play Katamari Damacy in Europe legitimately as it wasn't coded to display in 50Hz IIRC so based on this I *think* the PS2 defaults to whatever output is on the disc. Can't say for sure though as most PAL TVs of that era were pretty good at displaying any output.

I use this for my imports, work good.

If present, it's negligable.
I wouldn't say that. It depends on the game/genre. Do not attempt racing games. Fighters are probably the same, but I don't really play them so I can't say for sure. RPGs, most 3rd person action games that don't rely on split second combos, etc, are fine. It is not horrible. But it's not non-existent, either. I bought RR Type 4 and it was a waste of $6 -- until I could play it on the Vita.

EDIT: One way to negate much of the lag is to hook up the PS3 via component and output at 1080i if your TV supports it (I think? ... It's been a while since I tried this). However, many of my PS3 games then got distorted because they're made for progressive scan displays.

MAX PAYMENT said:
Did anyone mention Freedom Fighters?

Yep on 2nd page, one of my faves too. I would love to get a BC PS3 but it's too expensive for me and there's the possibility of extra repairs etc.

Gintamen

More stuff: You play as a samurai whose body parts were sacrificed to demons. You get them back one by one.
Wow, didn't know that manga had a game. But why post the ugly englisch cover, when the original is do everything by Hiroaki Samura(blade of the immortal)?

Banzai

I just always post this in every variation of "hidden gem" threads:

256px-Kyagamecover.jpg

Such a fun game. Great combat, great World, awesome falling/gliding mechanics. Up there with Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter for me.

REDSLATE

EDIT: One way to negate much of the lag is to hook up the PS3 via component and output at 1080i if your TV supports it (I think? ... It's been a while since I tried this). However, many of my PS3 games then got distorted because they're made for progressive scan displays.
How does this decrease latency? By keeping it interlaced?

How does this decrease latency? By keeping it interlaced?

Yes, as I understand it. The PS3 emulator is converting content designed for 480i to progressive. The conversion time adds lag. This is true for both digital and disc games. I don't think it's an issue for the fat PS3's with PS2 guts, though. It's mainly a problem for PS1 stuff.

Here's where I learned of it. If this issue has been corrected via firmware or debunked in the intervening years, then someone correct me.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-p...-ps2-games.html#/forumsite/3207/topics/753069

EDIT: I've long thought about making a thread on this topic. I'm surprised more people aren't aware of it. Classic music games like Parrapa are hugely crippled by this, too.

Kalkano

Banned
Playing Grandia Xtreme right now, and I think it's very underrated. The negatives are that there are only two towns, and the gameplay far outweighs the story. Some of the dungeons go on forever.

But, the Grandia battle system never gets old. I also love the egg (magic source) combination system. This is a great game.

bomblord1

Banned
Yes, as I understand it. The PS3 emulator is converting content designed for 480i to progressive. The conversion time adds lag. This is true for both digital and disc games. I don't think it's an issue for the fat PS3's with PS2 guts, though. It's mainly a problem for PS1 stuff.

Here's where I learned of it. If this issue has been corrected via firmware or debunked in the intervening years, then someone correct me.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-p...-ps2-games.html#/forumsite/3207/topics/753069

EDIT: I've long thought about making a thread on this topic. I'm surprised more people aren't aware of it. Classic music games like Parrapa are hugely crippled by this, too.

How many ms of lag are we talking? De-interlacing shouldn't introduce crippling lag if anything it's probably the systems emulation engine adding the extra lag.

It's a bit of plastic you use to pull the disc tray out and swap for another game while the boot disc is idling. You will need to remove the face plate from a PS2 disc drawer to use it.

ps2-slide-tool-with-swap-magic-cd-3-6-dvd-3-6-6137109z0.jpg

It was the only way I could play Katamari Damacy in Europe legitimately as it wasn't coded to display in 50Hz IIRC so based on this I *think* the PS2 defaults to whatever output is on the disc. Can't say for sure though as most PAL TVs of that era were pretty good at displaying any output.

oh man, this is where my Sengoku Basara love came from

How many ms of lag are we talking? De-interlacing shouldn't introduce crippling lag if anything it's probably the systems emulation engine adding the extra lag.

I really have no idea. To be sure - it is not crippling lag for most games. That's why many never notice it. But for racing, music and some tight action games, it's certainly there. Interestingly, I've heard in PSTV threads that system doesn't have it (just like the Vita). That's why I don't think its just the emulator. Unless the emulator is really different/improved on the Vita vs the PS3.

Anyway, I'll probably drop this topic because I'm derailing. Maybe I'll make a PSA thread...

Wolff

I don't care what anyone says, i really enjoyed this game. Before Arkham Asylum this game was getting things right about the character. I mean, you sneak, use the environment to scare the shit out of the enemies and then beat the crap out of them when they're vulnerable. Add a little puzzle solving and plataforming and that's it. It even had a well done cape and gliding too iirc.

The only problem is that it is a bit short, but at least you get to unlock classic costumes for him. Anyway, really not bad for a movie game.

batman_begins-1689387.jpg

I don't care what anyone says, i really enjoyed this game. Before Arkham Asylum this game was getting things right about the character. I mean, you sneak, use the environment to scare the shit out of the enemies and then beat the crap out of them when they're vulnerable. Add a little puzzle solving and plataforming and that's it. It even had a well done cape and gliding too iirc.

The only problem is that it is a bit short, but at least you get to unlock classic costumes for him. Anyway, really not bad for a movie game.

batman_begins-1689387.jpg
Agreed. I also enjoyed Superman Returns. It does wear out it's welcome with rinse and repeat gameplay, but it's fun before the tedium settles in.

Don't know if this counts as a hidden gem or if anyone hasn't mentioned it but

Xenosaga Trilogy. Especially 3, though there are some good things to be found in one and two. Not enough to mask the bad, but still.

Also the devil summoner games. Kind of the dark horse of the SMT spin offs.

The Xenosaga trilogy are great. They have such a rich backstory and the universe is very intricate. You can spend a long time just reading through all the info about all the events/characters/history of the game's universe. I liked Xenosaga III the best but I never finished it. Like an idiot I sold the trilogy because I needed cash at the time and I figured I'd repurchase Xenosaga III down the line cheap. Nope. Game is the most expensive one in the trilogy and my save was in my old BCPS3 that YLOD.

And the Raido games rock! I love Devil Summoner 2! Game is highly recommended.

Deadbeat

Banned
Swap Magic
I used that to play Road Trip Adventure Avenue. I dont remember what the hell its name was I think it was Penny Racers for the UK (which is what I bought) but the game would then be Adventure Avenue or whatever Choro Q HG number.

I love the series but god help you with the naming convention in different regions.

I remember buying my Xenosaga Episode III when GameStop suddenly had it back in stock in all stores a few years back. Presumably a reprint - and even then they went fast.

Clearly it wasn't a very substantial reprint, compared to the ones Atlus did all the time.

cj_iwakura

Playing Grandia Xtreme right now, and I think it's very underrated. The negatives are that there are only two towns, and the gameplay far outweighs the story. Some of the dungeons go on forever.

But, the Grandia battle system never gets old. I also love the egg (magic source) combination system. This is a great game.

You get Mark Hamill voicing the bad guy, too.

Godcannon

Heck yea! Love it. Can it play on new tvs? Haha

There's a lightgun called the LED Topgun that works, however it's like $80-$100...I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted, but my plan is to buy an giant old school TV on the cheap and recreate my glorious Guncon2 setup with Time Crisis, Assault Ninja, Vampire Night. I bet I could get that whole setup back for $100 or less.

Nasreddin

How many PS2 hidden gems threads did GAF have? 50? 100?

The great thing is: everytime I discover new interesting games.

Khaz

Not overlooked in their niche but still deserving to be known by more people:

Virtual-On
virtualon.jpg

Dodonpach Daioujou
DOJPS201.png

This gem rarely gets mentioned. Think of it as Majora's Mask meets murder mystery. You basically travel through time in order to solve/prevent your own death.
It also stars Charles Martinet in one of his creepiest roles ever.

It also got a competent enough port to PC. I miss the early PS2 era of games that actually tried to accomplish something new and fresh.

This. Shadow of Memories is great. Rule of Rose too.

wazoo

I just always post this in every variation of "hidden gem" threads:

256px-Kyagamecover.jpg

Such a fun game. Great combat, great World, awesome falling/gliding mechanics. Up there with Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter for me.

The game was great. Top 3D engine too, very much overlooked due to zero-marketing effort.

Zixmar

Neo Member
I was going to post Mr. Mosquito just because of that Sumo Bike minigame, but I see that's already been covered, so here's another.

256px-RibbitKing.jpg

Ribbit King, the strangest Hot Shots/Mario Golf clone that I've ever played/seen.

WUpdIJd.gif

This game was amazing!

bomblord1

Banned
Don't know if this counts as a hidden gem or if anyone hasn't mentioned it but

Xenosaga Trilogy. Especially 3, though there are some good things to be found in one and two. Not enough to mask the bad, but still.

Also the devil summoner games. Kind of the dark horse of the SMT spin offs.

I want to play that so bad but it'll cost me almost $200 to get all 3 >.<

ScOULaris

I only ever played the demo for it on one of my old PS Underground discs, but I remember really enjoying the combat mechanics. It probably doesn't hold up perfectly today, but it's definitely a game that could have only existed during the PS2 era. And I mean that in a good way.

I think that it's definitely somewhat of an underrated gem, but I can't say for certain whether or not you might find it worthy of a purchase today.

I want to play that so bad but it'll cost me almost $200 to get all 3 >.<

1 and 2 aren't that bad. 3 will cost you a good amount, but its worth every penny. Fantastic game.

The Xenosaga trilogy are great. They have such a rich backstory and the universe is very intricate. You can spend a long time just reading through all the info about all the events/characters/history of the game's universe. I liked Xenosaga III the best but I never finished it. Like an idiot I sold the trilogy because I needed cash at the time and I figured I'd repurchase Xenosaga III down the line cheap. Nope. Game is the most expensive one in the trilogy and my save was in my old BCPS3 that YLOD.

And the Raido games rock! I love Devil Summoner 2! Game is highly recommended.

Seriously, get on that. That game has one of the most fantastic and satisfying ending sequence I've seen in a video game. The whole 35-40 hours it took me to beat the game was incredible, but those last 10 hours were something else.

I remember buying my Xenosaga Episode III when GameStop suddenly had it back in stock in all stores a few years back. Presumably a reprint - and even then they went fast.

Clearly it wasn't a very substantial reprint, compared to the ones Atlus did all the time.

Its a pretty rare game getting even rarer. Wouldn't be surprised if it eventually reaches Suikoden II status.

bomblord1

Banned
1 and 2 aren't that bad. 3 will cost you a good amount, but its worth every penny. Fantastic game.

Seriously, get on that. That game has one of the most fantastic and satisfying ending sequence I've seen in a video game. The whole 35-40 hours it took me to beat the game was incredible, but those last 10 hours were something else.

Its a pretty rare game getting even rarer. Wouldn't be surprised if it eventually reaches Suikoden II status.

A local game store has 3 for $38 that's actually the cheapest for me. I'm going off of amazon prices.

Xenosaga is getting pretty high in price now unfortunately, its now in the 50's on Amazon and hasn't dropped down since... I really hope Namco makes an HD collection for Xenosaga so it can get in more peoples hands.

A local game store has 3 for $38 that's actually the cheapest for me. I'm going off of amazon prices.

If you can manage to grab 3 for less than 40, that's a damn good bargain.

Xenosaga is getting pretty high in price now unfortunately, its now in the 50's on Amazon and hasn't dropped down since... I really hope Namco makes an HD collection for Xenosaga so it can get in more peoples hands.

Christ, that's more expensive than what I paid for just a few months ago. Managed to grab a copy for about 50 that was almost brand new.

If not an HD collection, at least port the games over as a PSN classic on the PS store. If niche JRPGs like Suikoden and all the SMT games can be on there, so can Xenosaga.

bomblord1

Banned
If you can manage to grab 3 for less than 40, that's a damn good bargain.

Christ, that's more expensive than what I paid for just a few months ago. Managed to grab a copy for about 50 that was almost brand new.

If not an HD collection, at least port the games over as a PSN classic on the PS store. If niche JRPGs like Suikoden and all the SMT games can be on there, so can Xenosaga.

It looks like episode 1 can be had as low as $10 if you go used instead of new or collectible. Maybe I should pick it up.. Hmm...

It looks like episode 1 can be had as low as $10 if you go used instead of new or collectible. Maybe I should pick it up.. Hmm...

If its in good condition and has the box and manual pick it up.

Yup.

Also, pick up some component cables for your PS2 if you haven't already. And when you get to 2/3 I'd also recommend some RCA audio adapter cables so you can listen to the games with your headphones unless you have a good sound system. That Yuki Kajura music deserves to be heard in the best possible way.

Top Bottom