• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3, 360, and a love for Wii: The Milkman Speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

IJoel

Error2k4 said:

Actually that'd be a reaffirmation of my statement. Probably misunderstood. My gamecube is my least used console of all time. It hasn't been used in more than a year. But, if I can get a PS3 during this holiday season, the Wii will have to wait (until new Mario comes along,) and I'll just grab the gamecube version of Zelda in November.

snatches said:
I remember GC hype being pretty sad really. It has a little more power than PS2, and has Nintendo mascot characters. And they tried to hype up Eternal Darkness. The Gamecube didn't introduce anything new to the market. They hype around Wii is about what makes it different.

I remember all the same things people are foaming at the mouth over now:

- Cheap games.
- Cheap hardware.
- More powerful than the PS2.
- No extra features people don't want (DVD playback).
- Different gaming experiences than the competition.
- More third party support.
- "OMG MARIO AND ZELDA PWN EVERYTHING!!1"

And the sad thing is, Milky's a journalist, you'd expect him to remember stuff beyond what happened a week ago. I swear, it's like these people's head's reset after every yearly awards special they make.

Joeroll said:
You let the media get to you so bad that you enjoy gaming less because of it? If it angers you this much why dont you stop reading it... wow...

If there's one thing I'm more addicted to than videogaming, it's the internet and news. I'm a news junky (an armchair detective), and I love finding out new things. But I hate all the flamebaiting opinions attached to everything.

If you watched the news all the time on tv and everyone was clearly biased, wouldn't that piss you off, too?

LevelNth

Banned
Awesomely awful blog, and probably one of the worst 'articles' I've ever seen Milky write. Frankly, he should be ****ing embarressed that he wrote that, as it's painfully apparent just how hard he's trying.

snatches said:
I remember GC hype being pretty sad really.
Give me a break!! After their E3 showing, the crazy GBA launch, the Spaceworld showings, etc., the GC was every bit as hyped as the Wii is now.

snatches

RaijinFY said:
I saw snatches created this thread, then PS3 and I already knew it... :lol

You're right, I have come down on Sony pretty hard since E3. They lost my love. If you look at my thread posting history though I am pretty agnostic when trying to get GAF's attention. I thought it unusual that a game journalist was being this honest about his opinion in a public manor.

I don't think that editorial was as bad as most people seem to think, but it certainly doesn't deserve a thread, and neither do most editorials praising/criticizing X system.

Zonar said:
Did he just say Nigga please?

:lol I caught that too, although I think he's black, so that makes it ok

as a black man I don't always agree with that view, but that's our crazy American society for ya!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Did not like that at all. I love Mielke...that was some very convoluted logic. The whole N64/PSX thing was beyond strange.

snatches

LevelNth said:
Give me a break!! After their E3 showing, the crazy GBA launch, the Spaceworld showings, etc., the GC was every bit as hyped as the Wii is now.

Nope. The Wii is approaching N64/Mario 64 levels of hype. You are looking at GC through rose tinted glasses dude.

mckmas8808 said:
And that's a lame argument too. The power of the 360 and PS3 will deliver those gamers, games that they will have fun playing. And lots of that will be due to the power.

I SAY THE XDF AND SDF SHOULD UNITE AND FIGHT THE MILKMAN'S THINKING!!!

yeh.. go ahead and "Fight his thinking". wtf man. it's his opinion written in a editorial piece. when you go around making all these fanboy-fueled crusades and defending some corporate mindset, you are really strengthing his angle. The point I took away from the Milkman piece is that the Wii is the only console positioning itself in a way to rely on nothing but pure, unadultrated fun that is well within the reach of a majority of people. I think thats what games are all about and, in that respect, it is an admirable take on the whole situation.

BTW: this story currently has 798 Diggs.. :lol

Meier

Was it really drivel? It might have been vitriolic, but it clearly was well thought out and wasn't overly hyperbolic like a Tim Rogers piece might be. Good read.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Personally speaking, I have needed HD video content for five freakin' years. So I'm ready for it on any format.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Shawn said:
All that... when he could have just said, "Picture quality isn't important to me."

Exactly! I wonder if most people between today and 2012 will like High Definition TVs? :lol

Answer is Milke you will lose. People actually care about picture quality.

Ristamar

snatches said:
I remember GC hype being pretty sad really.

Yeah, the GC hype can be summed up as "Rogue Leader looks hot! And, um, there is... did we mention how good Rogue Leader looks?" Xbox had most of the spotlight.

IJoel

Stinkles said:
Personally speaking, I have needed HD video content for five freakin' years. So I'm ready for it on any format.

This is SO the case for me as well. In the midst of all this bickering about PS3 games, I'm buying one for the BluRay player. :D

snatches

Ristamar said:
Yeah, the GC hype can be summed up as "Rogue Leader looks hot! And, um, there is... did we mention how good Rogue Leader looks?" Xbox had most of the spotlight.

Yeah, and my fave: check out these cute little discs! they're um, cute!

Zonar

soul creator said:
:lol I caught that too, although I think he's black, so that makes it ok

as a black man I don't always agree with that view, but that's our crazy American society for ya!

I know what you mean.

I'm black and at first i laughed and then I was like. IS HE EVEN BLACK! lol I'm such a hypocrite :D

mckmas8808

Mrbob said:
What is the point? Why do we need Milky's approval to buy a Playstation 3?

Well not his thinking per say.....but the thought that the 360 and PS3 is nothing more than upgraded graphic machines that aren't as fun as the Wii by default.

I hate this way of thinking. Why do people even think this? Aren't guys having fun playing the Lost Planet demo? Aren't people loving Dead Rising? It looks like the VF5 for the PS3 will be fun too.

Why aren't they not as fun just because they have higher polycounts?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I read it all, but the first thing that jumped out at me was...

I no longer trust you to deliver me a system that won't be rendered obsolete with the second wave of hardware adjustments.
How the can anyone say that with a straight face in light of what Nintendo always does?

I don't think I've read an article in years that I've disagreed with more. Everything he claims "we don't need" has me saying "Yes, *I* do". In fact, I already HAVE everything I need.

Rocked

Boo hoo, the Sony and Xbox fanboys are offended! It's just his opinion.

Zonar said:
Did he just say Nigga please?

niggayx2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daCqGbV3uRY

:D

Stinkles said:

I don't have an HDTV yet or anything, but i still agree with this. More companies should be pushing technology forward, not holding it back.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
bishoptl said:
If he's black, I'm a Grand Dragon.
*Reads Bish's comment, runs to kitchen, grabs soda from fridge, runs back to computer, sits down, opens can of soda, takes a sip of soda, spits soda all over screen*

Jesus, you made the thread. Snatches, thank this man.

dark10x said:
I read it all, but the first thing that jumped out at me was...

How the can anyone say that with a straight face in light of what Nintendo always does?

yeh i thought htat part was hillarious. btw, i only came back in here because i saw that you had just posted and was hoping for an all out assualt on the 480p is enough for me drivel. :(

snatches

dark10x said:

did they ever put out a hardware revision for nes, snes, n64, or gamecube? you could cite the n64 expansion pack, but it wasn't 100% necessary.

To be honest this was a great read , so honest milky :D

while i don't agree with some of this he has some valid points.

people are blowing this up way to much.its his opinion guys , his OPINION

snatches said:
did they ever put out a hardware revision for nes, snes, n64, or gamecube? you could cite the n64 expansion pack, but it wasn't 100% necessary.

YES AND THEY WERE AWESOME (but the GC Q sucked ass)

Razoric

Banned
snatches said:

neither was the HDD...

btw, there was a hardware revision on GC that removed the digital video right?

Razoric

Banned
DOBERMAN INC said:
people are blowing this up way to much.its his opinion guys , his OPINION

why do people keep saying this shit.

he has a right to post his opinion, and he did so on a public website. So we have every right to rip it apart.

snatches said:

For certain games it was, but it was only a handful of games. And with the HDD he's only again talking about a handful of games, most of which only ever saw the light of day in Japan.

mckmas8808

Hey guys I just found what what a grand dragon was. Oh man bish.:lol :lol :lol

GAF teaches me everyday

snatches

meltpotato said:
YES AND THEY WERE AWESOME (but the GC Q sucked ass)

No I meant one that changed the fundamental functionality of the system as James (I'm not black!) Mielke is alluding to with Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom