• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3, 360, and a love for Wii: The Milkman Speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
snatches said:
did they ever put out a hardware revision for nes, snes, n64, or gamecube? you could cite the n64 expansion pack, but it wasn't 100% necessary.
They released a second generation SNES that killed s-video support. They released an expansion pack, rumble pack, 64DD, and other additions for N64. They REMOVED the f*cking digital output on later Gamecubes. That's not even the tip of the iceberg if you include handhelds. Oh, they were dirty on the handheld front.

His PS2 complaints basically come down to the use of a hard disk drive. That's right, a simple add-on that, while promised, never really caught on or saw much use of any sort (unless you used HD Loader). I'd say that's nothing compared to what Nintendo was doing. The HDD is virtually useless for most games while the N64 expansion pack and GC digital output were VERY useful and necessary.

Mashing

_leech_ said:
Not that i disagree with these problems (they're true, after all), but he's basically condemning the PS3 because of the PSX and PS2's problems, so why not throw in past N64 and Gamecube problems into the Wii reasoning?

That's weak, Milky.

Gee, I dunno. Maybe it's because the Gamecubes and N64's failures were not hardware related.

Tieno

mckmas8808 said:
Well not his thinking per say.....but the thought that the 360 and PS3 is nothing more than upgraded graphic machines that aren't as fun as the Wii by default.

I hate this way of thinking. Why do people even think this? Aren't guys having fun playing the Lost Planet demo? Aren't people loving Dead Rising? It looks like the VF5 for the PS3 will be fun too.

Why aren't they not as fun just because they have higher polycounts?
It's Nintendo's spin that they provide the 'fun', they're all about the 'fun' It's just as big of a spin as MS and Sony does. Every company says they're providing the 'fun', just with different tools (which is good). I have fun with my HDTV and playing Oblivion or Call of Duty 2 hearing bullets behind me, getting creeped out (and immersed) in dungeous because I hear voices behind me and feel as though I'm there.
Nintendo provides fun, but for me it's not what I'm looking for. I don't see it as superior. They just mention 'fun' much more than MS and Sony. Different buzz words.

-Rogue5-

"I would like some milk from the milkman's wife's tits..."

Seriously though, I was also expecting more. His rip on that dude from GD that thought he was the second coming was good, but this is a little too rantish for even me (even if I agree with a lot of stuff he says).

Word to your mother.

SuperPac

Aw, no love for the Milkman? I liked the editorial, it makes a lot of valid points while also straying into fanboyism. But so ****ing what? It's his blog, he can be a fanboy if he wants to be.

But I guess for some people an opinion on Wii is not valid unless it is ripping on it.

snatches

Pope Benedict XVI said:
everyone's ignoring the bit about the XBLA team. Wtf are those ass clowns up to?

Yes exactly. XBLA seems to have its biggest enemy within the organization. Games should be coming out a lot faster and in a more organized manner, and as a 360 owner it is pissing me off. I WANT MY LUMINES MS. DO YOU HEAR ME!

Nigga, please. If the next-gen = Dragon's Lair, you know what? The next-gen can kiss deez nutz.

That's where I stopped reading. I can't stand it when people who aren't black say that. Plus, I never really agreed with his point of view.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
snatches said:
Yes exactly. XBLA seems to have its biggest enemy within the organization. Games should be coming out a lot faster and in a more organized manner, and as a 360 owner it is pissing me off. I WANT MY LUMINES MS. DO YOU HEAR ME!

They're busy dissecting the game up into managable microtransactions.

Shabaz

Neo Member
snatches said:
James Mielke's latest blog doesn't pull any punches. He manages to offend just about everybody with this one.

He did? He sucked Nintendos balls, bashed Sony and pretented to hate on the 360. Its like he copied posts from Gaf. Also why isn't the PS1 old enough to get excited about playing all the old games for it but the N64 is?

And Youtube's success is proof that people don't want Hi-Def? I have never read somthing so ridiculous, and I have read the gamefaq forums.

snatches said:
Does the mainstream really want all the functionally and bleeding edge tech offered by Sony and MS?

I think there's room for that, but he's 100% right about Sony pushing niche technology like Blu-Ray that really has no appeal or purpose to the mainstream gamer. The Xbox 360 is more what I'd like to see out of a high-end console (minus the retarded decision to make a HDD-less version available).

Parts of that argument were pretty poorly thought out, but it's a blog post, what do you expect? Anyhow, the people bitching in here would be having a jizzfest if he had posted equally lousy arguments about wagglewands and gimmicks.

The worst, or you could say funniest, thing about his blog had nothing to do with videogames. Using Youtube as an example of why HD content/resolution is unnecessary.....wow. 'nuff said.

xaosslug

kaching said:
*Reads Bish's comment, runs to kitchen, grabs soda from fridge, runs back to computer, sits down, opens can of soda, takes a sip of soda, spits soda all over screen*

Jesus, you made the thread. Snatches, thank this man.

:lol

purnoman3000 said:
The worst, or you could say funniest, thing about his blog had nothing to do with videogames. Using Youtube as an example of why HD content/resolution is unnecessary.....wow. 'nuff said.

That's an argument against HD that I don't think even the most hardcore of Nintendo fans would even think of.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Tieno said:
It's Nintendo's spin that they provide the 'fun', they're all about the 'fun' It's just as big of a spin as MS and Sony does. Every company says they're providing the 'fun', just with different tools (which is good). I have fun with my HDTV and playing Oblivion or Call of Duty 2 hearing bullets behind me, getting creeped out (and immersed) in dungeous because I hear voices behind me and feel as though I'm there.
Nintendo provides fun, but for me it's not what I'm looking for. I don't see it as superior. They just mention 'fun' much more than MS and Sony. Different buzz words.

No I'm talking about these people saying the Wii will be fun because it's not worried about normal maps or bump maps. That's totally crock dodo.

dark10x

This year, apparently, I need Blu-Ray, and high-definition, and the 5.1. and the so on and so on. Thanks, but I don't, really. And I don't think the majority (I'd say at least 90% of the people reading this) of the world does either. If high-definition was so important, then every $600 PlayStation 3 should come with a 17" widescreen HDTV monitor free.
I love that part.

Yes, we should just go ahead and screw progress. 640x480 for another 5 years? Hell yes, let's do it.

Yeah, err, NO. Maybe I'm insane, but I've enjoyed my HDTV (which cost me about 6 times as much as the PS3 itself) and my 7.1 setup. I want high def movies, I want high resolution gaming, I want high quality sound, etc etc etc. I'm not alone on this either.

do we really need sharper images?
No, Milkman, we don't need sharper images. I mean, why do optometrists even exist? I don't know, because SURELY we do not need sharper and more realistic imagery. Let's just hook up our 14" black and white tellies and play some Dead Rising together. How's that sound? We could make a game out of reading the text.

If the average person really needed high-definition anything then why the hell is YouTube so popular? Everything on YouTube looks like crap, and it's huge
Youtube rocks, but if you think I'm going to kick back on my sofa and watch a movie via Youtube, well, I don't know what to say. That's clearly not the focus of the site.

I feel sorry for the short-sighted gamers that put their hopes in Heavenly Sword, for instance. It's a pretty game, but at least from what I played at E3, it seems exceptionally shallow.
Ohhhh, so what do we have with the Wii then? Ugly games that are exceptionally shallow?

No point in moving on with that, I suppose, but holy jeebus, I remain in shock by just how opposite our opinions are. I mean, I literally disagree with everything he said.

I understand that sales are critical here, but I absolutely detest the general direction that the "mainstream" is taking gaming. The mainstream isn't ready for HD? Well guess what? I've been enjoying it for years and I'm sick of my games being held back by "the mainstream".

Ranger X

I think i could have wrote the first half of the article.

He's right up until he starts on Nintendo... and his article fails miserably because of that second half.
Wii is a too expensive for it's own good, there will not be games twice as beautifull as RE4 (still didn't happen on any console yet anyway) and the Gamecube tie ration of great game is the ****ing same as any other console.
And that's only his most obvious misconceptions.

Vrolokus

Banned
I feel sorry for the short-sighted gamers that put their hopes in Heavenly Sword, for instance. It's a pretty game, but at least from what I played at E3, it seems exceptionally shallow. It's a game that's designed to make the player feel as cool as possible with the least amount of effort. A single button press makes Nariko explode in a flurry of moves, while an easily entertained gamer stands by and watches. Then come the quick-time events. Nigga, please. If the next-gen = Dragon's Lair, you know what? The next-gen can kiss deez nutz.

Praise God, I'm glad someone finally said it. The hype for this game is utterly inexplicable to me.

snatches

SolidSnakex said:
That's an argument against HD that I don't think even the most hardcore of Nintendo fans would even think of.

That's totally nuts I agree. I have had hdtv's in my house for years and having a 360 and hd satellite is a revelation when viewed. Youtube? That was pretty ridiculous.

mckmas8808

Catchpenny said:
I think there's room for that, but he's 100% right about Sony pushing niche technology like Blu-Ray that really has no appeal or purpose to the mainstream gamer. The Xbox 360 is more what I'd like to see out of a high-end console (minus the retarded decision to make a HDD-less version available).

Yep the Blu-ray media will not help games at all. That's correct sir. Thanks for posting that.

thumbs-up.jpg

mckmas8808 said:
No I'm talking about these people saying the Wii will be fun because it's not worried about normal maps or bump maps. That's totally crock dodo.

I think it's more along the lines of the general design aesthetic (at least first party) is focused on fun gameplay mechanis and using the controller in unique ways to make games more pick up and play. whether that comes to fruitation is another story entirely. With 360 and PS3, a lot of what we are told about titles has more to do with how much better this looks than how much this focuses on creating new, fun ways to play

Bulla564

Banned
From all of his gamefaqs-esque crap, this stood out the most:

And since no one wants to play Pandemonium on PSP, Sony's me-too stratagem fails in this instance too.

DAmmit! I can't wait for Pandemonium on PSP! This guy is clueless.

Razoric

Banned
dark10x said:
I love that part.

Yes, we should just go ahead and screw progress. 640x480 for another 5 years? Hell yes, let's do it.

Yeah, err, NO. Maybe I'm insane, but I've enjoyed my HDTV (which cost me about 6 times as much as the PS3 itself) and my 7.1 setup. I want high def movies, I want high resolution gaming, I want high quality sound, etc etc etc. I'm not alone on this either.

No, Milkman, we don't need sharper images. I mean, why do optometrists even exist? I don't know, because SURELY we do not need sharper and more realistic imagery. Let's just hook up our 14" black and white tellies and play some Dead Rising together. How's that sound? We could make a game out of reading the text.

Youtube rocks, but if you think I'm going to kick back on my sofa and watch a movie via Youtube, well, I don't know what to say. That's clearly not the focus of the site.

Ohhhh, so what do we have with the Wii then? Ugly games that are exceptionally shallow?

No point in moving on with that, I suppose, but holy jeebus, I remain in shock by just how opposite our opinions are. I mean, I literally disagree with everything he said.

I understand that sales are critical here, but I absolutely detest the general direction that the "mainstream" is taking gaming. The mainstream isn't ready for HD? Well guess what? I've been enjoying it for years and I'm sick of my games being held back by "the mainstream".

Wow, I pretty much agree.

I can't believe anyone in their right mind would call Heavenly Sword shallow while praising Wii. :lol

And people don't care about HD because of Youtube? My god... :lol

dark10x

GitarooMan said:
One general observation: Why are some people so ****in bitter about HD?
I honestly don't know.

What is it about HD that pisses people off so much? It's a GOOD thing. A VERY good thing.

The ONLY things I can imagine are...

1) Nintendo doesn't support it, therefore, they must follow the company line

OR

2) They can't afford it and label it as worthless as a result (human nature, to a degree)

Ristamar

dark10x said:
They released a second generation SNES that killed s-video support. They released an expansion pack, rumble pack, 64DD, and other additions for N64. They REMOVED the f*cking digital output on later Gamecubes. That's not even the tip of the iceberg if you include handhelds. Oh, they were dirty on the handheld front.

His PS2 complaints basically come down to the use of a hard disk drive. That's right, a simple add-on that, while promised, never really caught on or saw much use of any sort (unless you used HD Loader). I'd say that's nothing compared to what Nintendo was doing. The HDD is virtually useless for most games while the N64 expansion pack and GC digital output were VERY useful and necessary.

I'm not going to defend Mielke's comments one way or the other (in fact, I agree the HDD was nearly useless), but :lol @ the expansion pack being "necessary" and the rumble pack, 64DD, and s-video/digital output comments.

This thread is going to be classic.

another funny thing about the HDTV argument is that PC video cards have been running most games higher than 640x480 for years now, but for a console to do it, all of a sudden that means they're not focusing on "fun".

1280x720 is not like some far out thing that's never been done until the 360 came along, so I'm not sure why people are mad about new systems supporting HD resolutions.

Nigga, please. If the next-gen = Dragon's Lair, you know what? The next-gen can kiss deez nutz.

First thing to make me laugh out loud genuinely in a LONG long time. :lol :lol :lol :lol

And for the record, I believe this guy totally knows whats up. All the nuances of GAF arguments are too much, and forget the majority of the truth that exists in this industry.

snatches said:
That's totally nuts I agree. I have had hdtv's in my house for years and having a 360 and hd satellite is a revelation when viewed. Youtube? That was pretty ridiculous.

I don't even know why someone would think of that argument. Sure YT is popular, I watch alot of clips on there, but no way in hell do I want to play a game or watch a TV shows that look like that.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I'm offended... and I'm not even sure why?!?!?!?!

And James... the Nigga please? NIGGA PLEASE that shit went out years ago.

dark10x

Ristamar said:
I'm not going to defend Mielke's comments one way or the other (in fact, I agree the HDD was nearly useless), but :lol @ the expansion pack being "necessary" and the rumble pack, 64DD, and s-video/digital output comments.

This thread is going to be classic.
I don't feel that it was actually necessary, but I DO feel that it was much MORE so than the PS2 HDD ever was.

The GC digital output, however, was a huge deal. Nintendo basically made it extremely difficult for anyone who wanted to use 480p with the GC to do so. I think digital video output on GC was 100x more useful than the PS2 HDD, don't you?

JB1981

GitarooMan said:
One general observation: Why are some people so ****in bitter about HD?

Class warfare. Plus, it's only GAF. Most normal people think HD is incredible. And are looking forward to making the upgrade.

snatches

soul creator said:
another funny thing about the HDTV argument is that PC video cards have been running most games higher than 640x480 for years now, but for a console to do it, all of a sudden that means they're not focusing on "fun".

1280x720 is not like some far out thing that's never been done until the 360 came along, so I'm not sure why people are mad about new systems supporting HD resolutions.

Nintendo will say anything to support their mandate to acheive a console that is cheap and profitable. They could have made the Wii = the 360 and put the new controller in for about the price of the 360 premium, but they don't think the mass market wants to pay that for a games console. And they're right.

Razoric

Banned
dark10x said:
I don't feel that it was actually necessary, but I DO feel that it was much MORE so than the PS2 HDD ever was.

The GC digital output, however, was a huge deal. Nintendo basically made it extremely difficult for anyone who wanted to use 480p with the GC to do so. I think digital video output on GC was 100x more useful than the PS2 HDD, don't you?

Um yes. If I hadn't had an 'old' GC, I would've been screwed when I upgraded my TV.

beat

snatches said:
(note: I left out the first paragraph which is a trollish diatribe about all his Sony gear breaking down on him. Everything breaks James)

My experience with equipment from brands like Nintendo or Panasonic vs Sony's stuff strongly leads me to think Sony's is built to the "let's just barely make it over the warranty" standard.

Razoric

Banned
snatches said:
Nintendo will say anything to support their mandate to acheive a console that is cheap and profitable. They could have made the Wii = the 360 and put the new controller in for about the price of the 360 premium, but they don't think the mass market wants to pay that for a games console. And they're right.

So? Why should the console 'war' be decided this fall or even next year. Maybe by the time most of the HD haters actually get an HDTV there will be a nice shiny $300 PS3 waiting for them in stores to have fun with.

Why does everyone think this shit is decided so quickly?

snatches

beat said:
My experience with equipment from brands like Nintendo or Panasonic vs Sony's stuff strongly leads me to think Sony's is built to the "let's just barely make it over the warranty" standard.

I just didn't want this to be another thread about ps2's breaking.....that's all.

dark10x said:
The HDD is virtually useless for most games while the N64 expansion pack and GC digital output were VERY useful and necessary.

Depends on how you look at it. Lack of digital output has a negative effect on every GCN game, for those planning to use it. But the handful of PS2 games affected by the loss of HDD support were crippled in a much more serious fashion, or simply couldn't be played at all.

If Nintendo had released a Gamecube RAM add-on that, say, Metroid Prime required to run, then produced Gamecubes without the expansion slot a couple of years later, something tells me you wouldn't be so forgiving about it.

mckmas8808

meltpotato said:
I think it's more along the lines of the general design aesthetic (at least first party) is focused on fun gameplay mechanis and using the controller in unique ways to make games more pick up and play. whether that comes to fruitation is another story entirely. With 360 and PS3, a lot of what we are told about titles has more to do with how much better this looks than how much this focuses on creating new, fun ways to play

This is 100% WRONG! Check out what IGN says about Fight Night 3 on the PS3 in their interview. Dead Rising 100% disagrees with you whole sentence.

Does it look nice? Yes. But many people think it's just damn fun. So again what's your point?

snatches

Razoric said:
So? Why should the console 'war' be decided this fall or even next year. Maybe by the time most of the HD haters actually get an HDTV there will be a nice shiny $300 PS3 waiting for them in stores to have fun with.

Why does everyone think this shit is decided so quickly?

I think that MS will make enough of an impact this gen that when 2010 comes around and they release their next console then Sony will be forced to follow suit shortly after. Some people, myself included, think that Sony will have a tough time bringing the price down to walmart levels by then. By walmart, I mean sub $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom