• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3, 360, and a love for Wii: The Milkman Speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm sure there are things that each system will have that the other two systems is not capable of.

when comparing wii to ps3/360, the most obvious differences are the control scheme and the graphical prowess. it's much more difficult to compare the 360 to the ps3 at the moment for a number of reasons (not the least of which is that no one is quite sure what the ps3 is capable of graphically).

i don't think you have to be an "n-tard" or a fanboy to realize that wii makes the gaming landscape, as it were, more textured and interesting than another next-generation graphic monster. enjoying the concepts behind the system and also planning on getting your graphical fix elsewhere are not mutually exclusive feelings.

dyls

GitarooMan said:
One general observation: Why are some people so ****in bitter about HD?

The main reasons I haven't gotten an HD set are two-fold.

One, I'm sort of an environmental freak, and it really bothers me how power hungry HD sets are. Just when we got to a spot where most SD TVs on the market are Energy Star Compliant, along comes HD and blows us back 15 years in terms of efficiency. I just don't see why a step forward in technology has to mean a big step back in conservation. It's also one of the main reasons I haven't bought a 360 yet (and why I'm one of the 3 people on this planet excited about the low power consumption of the Wii). Hearing the 360 startup like a jet engine makes me cringe. I know, I'm insane, can't be helped.

Two, all my friends with HD end up watching the worst shit just because it's in HD. As long as 99% of programming actually looks better on a SDTV, I just don't see the need to spend thousands of dollars on a new TV. By the way, whatever happened to the universal crossover to HD in 2007? Haven't heard much about it recently.

Back on topic, Milky's rant is the kind of thing you maybe think when you're angry trying to justify spending $600 on a videogame console, but Lord, you never post it. At least not without doing a little proofreading and seeing just how many insane contradictions are held within.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
dark10x said:
My point was that a controller alone does not determine whether or not something is fun. :)
did you have fun with Guitar Hero playing with the DS2? ;)

while I agree to a certain extent with you, some games do benefit greatly from controls. for example Mario 64

KINGMOKU

dark10x said:
As I edited in above, there are so many games that ended up being released this past generation that would NOT have been possible without the hardware powering them. Many of those unique ideas and attempts were not made early on, however, as it takes time.

It has been proven time and again that more powerful hardware brings to the table more than pretty visuals. At first? Yes, but that will change.

To suggest that the games will remain nothing more than same old same old is incredibly short sighted and ignorant on your part.
I guess I should have given an example, sorry.

Take Goldeneye for example. Its a first-person shooter. Halo, timesplitters, COD, e.t.c. are all games I enjoyed, but they are all the same to me. I would have been interested in more of the same, but playing them with the Wiimote, in my mind, may make them better, or at the very least different enough to me to enjoy, and experience them anew all over again.

Maybe that makes more sense.

Oh, and one more thing.

The power of a console issue I agree can have a massive impact on changing the face of games. Games on the N64, just were not possible on the SNES for example.

Where I differ on opinion with you is that those jumps, the sizemic ones like that, are not going to happen this generation.

If you can point to any game on the 360/PS3 that just cant be done on the Wii, besides prettier graphics, please do.(Think Mario64 from SNES-N64)

Those kind of power jumps are over, and done with. The Wiimote though, opens up completly new games, and refreshes a whole lot of older ones.

One mans opinion.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
snatches said:
The problem is that people like you, that are offended by the Wii's drawbacks, are in a painfully small minority. Perhaps even smaller than the minority that knows BluRay exists or what the hell it is.

Compare the numbers of people that know High Def TV quality exist compared to the Wii then lets talk.

;)

Amir0x

Banned
moku said:
I guess I should have given an example, sorry.

Take Goldeneye for example. Its a first-person shooter. Halo, timesplitters, COD, e.t.c. are all games I enjoyed, but they are all the same to me. I would have been interested in more of the same, but playing them with the Wiimote, in my mind, may make them better, or at the very least different enough to me to enjoy, and experience them anew all over again.

how the **** can Halo and Goldeneye be the same to you? I suppose the depth of your analysis of titles is 'you shoot things, therefore they are the same to me! But with waggle, I can mime the actions of shooting someone. INNOVATION AND DIFFERENCE.'

The other stuff has been picked apart, but whats with the hammering on Heavenly Sword? Did he get beyond the (dumbed down) E3 demo and discuss his issues with the designers about the work in progress, or even make an effort to learn more about the combat mechanics, AI, scale etc? And then bitching about a short QTE set piece... as if two of the most recently critically acclaimed games didn't make heavy use of this stone age mechanic? Whatever.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:
how the **** can Halo and Goldeneye be the same to you? I suppose the depth of your analysis of titles is 'you shoot things, therefore they are the same to me!'
:lol :lol

This is a gross oversimplification of genre and it really completely dismisses all the work Bungie put into making Halo what it is.

snatches

mckmas8808 said:
Compare the numbers of people that know High Def TV quality exist compared to the Wii then lets talk.

;)

But how many people will know the Wii does/doesn't support them? If it supports 16:9 and 480p, same as progressive DVD, the mass market doesn't care. See my point? You can disagree if you want to.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The problem is that people like you, that are offended by the Wii's drawbacks, are in a painfully small minority. Perhaps even smaller than the minority that knows BluRay exists or what the hell it is.
So, from now on, you'll always understand WHY exactly I'm somewhat against the Wii.

Amir0x said:
how the **** can Halo and Goldeneye be the same to you? I suppose the depth of your analysis of titles is 'you shoot things, therefore they are the same to me! But with waggle, I can mime the actions of shooting someone. INNOVATION AND DIFFERENCE.'
Yeah, I don't even know what to say about that. Boggles the mind.

who is the Milke? is he the Deux-Ex2 guy? I'm not sure, someone fill me on on who is this character with an opinion before I give my two cents on him

dyls

The worst thing about this blog is that is smacks of the Nintendo fans' desperation of the last two gens. Finally, after the incredible success of the DS and the probable success of the Wii, we had gotten back a certain swagger that had been reserved for Sony fans lo' these past 10 years. Reading this makes me worry - I don't think I can handle another gen of dismissing everything Sony and Microsoft do because of deep-seated insecurities.

I'm finally at a place with the DS where I can be happy for PSP fans when a great game comes out for their system, and feel no bitterness or resentment, knowing that I, too, am getting plenty of great games. I don't want to go back to that other place, I don't.

It's cold and lonely down there...

yilmazz

I think lots of the things he's saying are right but I wouldn't ignore Microsoft like he does for the most part. Also let's save this thread and bump it again in one or two years. :p

KINGMOKU

dark10x said:
So, from now on, you'll always understand WHY exactly I'm somewhat against the Wii.

Yeah, I don't even know what to say about that. Boggles the mind.
It's like Madden for me. Couldnt care less about it. All these years, and unless I'm at someones house, or someone bought the game for me(Got NFL2k3?), I wouldn't play it.

Now though, it sounds like it could be fun. Guess I'm looking for new experiences thats all.

snatches

yilmazz said:
I think lots of the things he's saying are right but I wouldn't ignore Microsoft like he does for the most part. Also let's save this thread and bump it again in one or two years. :p

yilmazz I quoted you because you have always had the single most memorable avatar on GAF.

dark10x

It would be wonderful if this turned into another PSP vs DS here.

Like the PSP, everyone is certain that Wii *IS* the way and WILL defeat the competition. In particular, they believe that the current leader will be thrust from the top and pushed out of the market altogether.

Hopefully the PS3 pulls out a DS here and demonstrates that what applies in one market will not necessarily apply in the other. The DS formula may not work as well as the DS formula did.

Now though, it sounds like it could be fun. Guess I'm looking for new experiences thats all.
You're still doing the same things, though. The only difference is how you move your hands. Did you ever try, you know, changing the button layout or something? That would also be a new experience. "Whoa, now I can use the left trigger instead of the X button. It's totally new!!!11". :p

At least the DS stylus was accurate. The waggle wand is a step back in so many areas and isn't even close to what I first imagined when Nintendo revealed it last year. It's like expecting an Aibo and getting one of those toy dogs with a push paw that causes it to say two different lines.

mckmas8808

snatches said:
But how many people will know the Wii does/doesn't support them? If it supports 16:9 and 480p, same as progressive DVD, the mass market doesn't care. See my point? You can disagree if you want to.

That's up to MS and Sony to tell them it doesn't through advirtisments. HD era am here slogans and all. Sony is putting up $40 million dollars in Europe alone for the PS3 launch for advertisments hopefully somebody learns something.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
The other stuff has been picked apart, but whats with the hammering on Heavenly Sword? Did he get beyond the (dumbed down) E3 demo and discuss his issues with the designers about the work in progress, or even make an effort to learn more about the combat mechanics, AI, scale etc? And then bitching about a short QTE set piece... as if two of the most recently critically acclaimed games didn't make heavy use of this stone age mechanic? Whatever.

No he didn't. That's why so many people on this board is ripping him for his ignorance.

hyp

:lol that was one of the most entertaining blog posts ever. holy shit @ some of the "controversial" things said in that piece. props to milkman, he absolutely does not give a shit about what people think of him, and that alone is admirable... especially in his line of work. kudos secret asian man.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dark10x said:
Hopefully the PS3 pulls out a DS here and demonstrates that what applies in one market will not necessarily apply in the other. The DS formula may not work as well as the DS formula did.

but isn't the ps3 still the graphical powerhouse competing with the less powerful wii?

psp:ds::ps3:wii,
not psp:ds::wii:ps3, right?

as i understood it, most folks expect the ps3 to crush wii, especially in NA.

Ristamar

Amir0x said:
He says something out his ass, people are taking it apart like they tend to do on the internet. If you liked his mostly objective pieces where he simply has interviews and shit... that's fine... but if this is his overarching opinion on things, I can neither take him seriously or trust his opinion on games. I don't think Milky "sucks", but I do think the blog is all sorts of hypocritical and bullshit.

C'mon, Ami, I'd think you, of all people, could appreciate someone taking a few tiny grains of truth and slathering them with a rich, thick, cringe-worthy coating of hyperbolic ranting and nonsense. ;)

Shouta

Ristamar said:
C'mon, Ami, I'd think you, of all people, could appreciate someone taking a few tiny grains of truth and slathering them with a rich, thick, cringe-worthy coating of hyperbolic ranting and nonsense. ;)

Truer words have never been spoken.

dark10x

beelzebozo said:
but isn't the ps3 still the graphical powerhouse competing with the less powerful wii?

psp:ds::ps3:wii,
not psp:ds::wii:ps3, right?

as i understood it, most folks expect the ps3 to crush wii, especially in NA.
It's not about the power here, but the expectations of what will win over the market. The PS3 is in a position similar to the DS back in 2004.

From what I can tell, most are expecting the Wii to crush everything.

KINGMOKU

dark10x said:
It's not about the power here, but the expectations of what will win over the market. The PS3 is in a position similar to the DS back in 2004.

Really?

Is that the concensous? I think most believe it will do really well In Japan, but lose in U.S./Europe.

Amir0x

Banned
Ristamar said:

I am still trying to locate the grains of truth in Milky's rant, though. When I locate them I will tell you!

Edit: oh wait, it's true Sony's latest machine is called "PlayStation 3"

dyls

dark10x said:
You're still doing the same things, though. The only difference is how you move your hands. Did you ever try, you know, changing the button layout or something? That would also be a new experience. "Whoa, now I can use the left trigger instead of the X button. It's totally new!!!11". :p

At least the DS stylus was accurate. The waggle wand is a step back in so many areas and isn't even close to what I first imagined when Nintendo revealed it last year. It's like expecting an Aibo and getting one of those toy dogs with a push paw that causes it to say two different lines.

That's really not true. It may be mostly true for the launch lineup, but what about something like Super Mario Galaxy. The way you can control both Mario, and the sort of 'Hand of God' star reticle that directly affects Mario and the environment and enemies, that would simply not be possible on a standard controller.

I was just watching some Okami videos, and as much as I liked what I saw, I thought it looked really clunky how you had to fight for a while, then switch to the paintbrush to finish off the enemies. On Wii, you could actually do both things at once. That's something the other consoles will never be able to do, no matter how powerful they are.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dark10x said:

this is all news to me.
i think the first bolded statement might be a bit of a leap. maybe in terms of expectations it is (though, again, i hadn't heard anything about this bountiful wii support from all sides), but to say it's in the same position is a broad generalization.

GDGF

Soothsayer
:lol I was reading this last night.

Milkman rocks. Call me biased if you will (hell, I'll call myself biased if you don't), but there is alot of truth in what this man says.

KINGMOKU

dyls said:
That's really not true. It may be mostly true for the launch lineup, but what about something like Super Mario Galaxy. The way you can control both Mario, and the sort of 'Hand of God' star reticle that directly affects Mario and the environment and enemies, that would simply not be possible on a standard controller.

I was just watching some Okami videos, and as much as I liked what I saw, I thought it looked really clunky how you had to fight for a while, then switch to the paintbrush to finish off the enemies. On Wii, you could actually do both things at once. That's something the other consoles will never be able to do, no matter how powerful they are.
Bam! There it is. New stuff, and new possibilities.

mckmas8808

moku said:
It's like Madden for me. Couldnt care less about it. All these years, and unless I'm at someones house, or someone bought the game for me(Got NFL2k3?), I wouldn't play it.

Couldn't we say the samething about Mech games for the PS3 and 360?

Mojojo

dark10x said:
It would be wonderful if this turned into another PSP vs DS here.

Like the PSP, everyone is certain that Wii *IS* the way and WILL defeat the competition. In particular, they believe that the current leader will be thrust from the top and pushed out of the market altogether.

That doesn't make any sense.. How the 'PS3 can pull out a DS " when it's the Wii that's using the DS approach?(new way to interact)... The PS3 is going the same route as PSP : a more powerful hardware.
(I am not saying that Wii will reiterate the same success as DS on the the home console front, but concept wise no one can deny the Wii was inspired by the DS )

dark10x

dyls said:

Have you ever heard of the PC as a gaming platform, by the way? I think you might be suprised by what it offers. ;)

Amir0x

Banned
The man behind Okami himself said the game is not suited for Wii controls in the latest EGM. Sorry losers, definitive GOTG confirmed.

Ristamar

Amir0x said:
I am still trying to locate the grains of truth in Milky's rant, though. When I locate them I will tell you!

Edit: oh wait, it's true Sony's latest machine is called "PlayStation 3"

:lol

Headstrong to the very end, and beyond...

Anyway, so what's the expected page count prediction on this puppy? 15? 20+?

mckmas8808

Error2k4 said:
:lol I dunno who's crazier mckmas8808 or moku

Explain to me one reason why I'm crazy. Just one good reason. Now moku on the other hand....

I feel 100% like Amir0x and Dark10x on this topic, so if I'm crazy....

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
dyls said:

I hope that's not the extent of new possibilities.

You literally waggle to spin and you use the pointer to-- and you know this-- point at things to collect them. Mario's movement is mapped to the analog stick as it has been for the past ten years.

Read the EGM afterthoughts on Okami.

EGM: WII RITE?
Producers: No, it wouldn't work.
EGM: BU BU BU BRUSH.
Producers: Have you played Okami?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Amir0x said:
The man behind Okami himself said the game is not suited for Wii controls in the latest EGM. Sorry losers, definitive GOTG confirmed.
Mikami: "If RE4 is ported for the PS2, ill cut my head off, take my word for it GAF!!"

GDGF

Soothsayer
dark10x said:
It's not about the power here, but the expectations of what will win over the market. The PS3 is in a position similar to the N64 back in 1996.

Fixed for my pleasure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom