• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3, 360, and a love for Wii: The Milkman Speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xbox Live Arcade is great, and they aren't flooding the market with games in order to maximize sales. He's entitled to his opinions about Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. However I have to laugh when he's talking about value here for the gamer. I dont' view the $250 Wii as a big value due to the graphics jump being the smallest ever from one gen to the next for any company. :)

Amir0x

Banned
VicAlpha said:
Mikami: "If RE4 is ported for the PS2, ill cut my head off, take my word for it GAF!!"

The man didn't say it couldn't be done, he said it's not suited. The man who designed the game. He wins, you lose. Okami beggers relegated to the corner to cry, cry themselves to sleep with more mini-games.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Amir0x said:
The man didn't say it couldn't be done, he said it's not suited. The man who designed the game. He wins, you lose. Okami beggers relegated to the corner to cry, cry themselves to sleep with more mini-games.

you have a lot of anger, amirox.

GDGF

Soothsayer
dark10x said:
Not...really. Not at all, even.

My pleasure, or the analogy? Both are very, very on the mark, BTW:)

I edited the year for clarity. In 1995 everyone expected the N64 to crush the PSX. By 1996 everyone was happy with their lesser powered Playstations and (aside from the Nintendorks like myself) couldn't give a rats ass about Tri linear Mip Mapped interpolation and what have you.

dyls

dark10x said:
Have you ever heard of the PC as a gaming platform, by the way? I think you might be suprised by what it offers. ;)

I'm a Mac guy, so obviously I don't do a lot of non-console gaming, but I don't know of many PC games where you hold an analog stick in one hand and a mouse in the other. And I am perfectly prepared for someone to pull out an obscure title that does so, otherwise this wouldn't be GAF.

I honestly don't know how anyone couldn't be at least a little excited about the kind of possibilities the Wii holds, but to each his own, I suppose.

Are there any two-mouse games for that matter? Just wondering, not an arguement.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Amir0x said:

So because it took a graphical hit does that mean he was right? It wasn't suited? Or was there some other hit that the game took when it was ported to the PS2? Does this mean that multi-platform titles that went to the Xbox, PS2 and GC weren't suited for the PS2 because it tended to look the worst?

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING MAN?!?!?!?

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:
You dont deserve a Wii. Do us all a favor, and never buy one.

Amir0x

Banned
beelzebozo said:
you have a lot of anger, amirox.

I'm not angry, I'm happy. I get Okami next week, and get to enjoy while others cry themselves to sleep through their hazey masturbation of fake innovation and mini-game desires on Wii

moku said:
You dont deserve a Wii.

huu huu, well u dont deserve to play games at all take that :lol

DarienA said:
So because it took a graphical hit does that mean he was right? It wasn't suited? Or was there some other hit that the game took when it was ported to the PS2? Does this mean that multi-platform titles that went to the Xbox, PS2 and GC weren't suited for the PS2 because it tended to look the worst?

No, no. Not Resident Evil 4, Okami.

I totally agree with the guy and I don't even think to follow his arguments for mistakes, although there are a few. It's just how I feel...

Please, stop for a moment and listen... what do you hear?

What do you hear?

It's the sound of Nintendo and Sega crying out for the game industry situation nowadays. Well, Sega is dead already. Nintendo on the other hand is the only one company left to think for the gaming/games/gamers, not for their wallets.

What happened after Sony and Microsoft got into the business?

Yes, for the six years lifetime of the PS2, I got two broken consoles. The current one is my third.

Yes, I play less and less games recently, because there is nothing worth to be played out there, only rehashed games with no originality, movie licensed crap, no revolution, just sequels, sequels, sequels, sequels , sequels , sequels , sequels , sequels , sequels...

And oh god yes, "I'd rather look at something with the visual fidelity and art style of Okami than at Oblivion's bump-mapped lizard people any day of the week"

I will agree with this man while Electronic Arts make money out of all of you.

lol :eek:)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Amir0x said:
I'm not angry, I'm happy. I get Okami next week, and get to enjoy while others cry themselves to sleep through their hazey masturbation of fake innovation and mini-game desires on Wii
l

but the way you present your argument is so abrasive it's impossible for anyone who even slightly disagrees with you to consider your point

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Amir0x said:
**** man, i'm not buying a PS2, I don't have enough money!!! and with effort, Okami could use the Wimote (money effort, if you see what I mean)

Amir0x

Banned
beelzebozo said:
but the way you present your argument is so abrasive it's impossible for anyone who even slightly disagrees with you to consider your point

Consider my points at your own peril - I'm not trying to convince anyone. You enjoy what you will, my buddy.

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:

huu huu, well u dont deserve to play games at all take that :lol

No, no. Not Resident Evil 4, Okami.
So much bitterness for one man to bear. I really fell sorry for you.

It's like Yamuchi violated your mother. Your bloodlust is unquenchable.

Jacobi

Banned
Nervous Hamster said:
It's the sound of Nintendo and Sega crying out for the game industry situation nowadays. Well, Sega is dead already. Nintendo on the other hand is the only one company left to think for the gaming/games/gamers, not for their wallets.
I see what you did there... Or do I ?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Amir0x said:
Consider my points at your own peril - I'm not trying to convince anyone. You enjoy what you will, my buddy.

then what you're taking place in isn't a dialogue or a discussion.
it's a one-man rant unless you expect someone to listen.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Amir0x said:

What about the people who get Okami for their PS2s and then buy a Wii in November. I'd imagine that they would be the happiest of all :)

BigBoss

Nervous Hamster said:
Nintendo on the other hand is the only one company left to think for the gaming/games/gamers, not for their wallets.

This is the biggest load of bullshit I have ever read so I hope you were being sarcastic.

Ristamar

moku said:

Let's all be honest with ourselves... who here hasn't had their mother violated in some manner by Yamauchi at one time or another?

Amir0x

Banned
moku said:
So much bitterness for one man to bear. I really fell sorry for you.

i don't think you even know what you're saying anymore: you've convinced yourself that something is the future at the exclusion of reality, and anyone who realizes this is relegated to Yamauchi bloodlust. Surely, you're correct: I'm not regularly beating off to Reggie photoshops and Nintendo PR quotes about how "you need a change, trust me gamers you're not really enjoying the **** incredible games next-gen offers", so I guess that constitutes as hate.

beelzelbobo said:
then what you're taking place in isn't a dialogue or a discussion.
it's a one-man rant unless you expect someone to listen.

You misunderstand. I don't expect blind fans of a certain direction to listen to a word I say, regardless of its inherent truthfulness.

dyls

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I hope that's not the extent of new possibilities.

You literally waggle to spin and you use the pointer to-- and you know this-- point at things to collect them. Mario's movement is mapped to the analog stick as it has been for the past ten years.

That's very far from the truth. The reticle can be used to activate different environmental features (the goo on the spider webs, those bubbles that hold Mario is stasis) and to freeze or stun enemies, and who knows what else? We've seen, what, three minutes of footage from the game?

It's a good thing Miyamoto knows how to think in new terms, because obviously most people can't see but in one direction. And that includes the producers of Okami, and all developers and gamers who think that waggling, to more accurately simulate the motions that have been heretofore relegated to to button pressses, is the extent of what the Wiimote-nunchuk can do. Try to have a little vision, please.

edit: this thread is moving fast. Milky sure got us talking.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
meltpotato said:
i have. you've lost it. like completely. keep up the AWESOME work. you're bulletproof arguements are staggering.

This is what I was responding to.

The problem is that people like you, that are offended by the Wii's drawbacks, are in a painfully small minority. Perhaps even smaller than the minority that knows BluRay exists or what the hell it is.

People with HDTVs will acquire a taste for HD movies. There first options will be HD-DVDs or BDs.

1+1 = 2. Understand now melt?

Cries ;_;

Can't we all just get along
(without the media)
?

b25921219.jpg

Deputy Maynard wants his money back :/

GDGF

Soothsayer
Amir0x said:
i don't think you even know what you're saying anymore: you've convinced yourself that something is the future at the exclusion of reality, and anyone who realizes this is relegated to Yamauchi bloodlust. Surely, you're correct: I'm not regularly beating off to Reggie photoshops and Nintendo PR quotes about how "you need a change, trust me gamers you're not really enjoying the **** incredible games next-gen offers", so I guess that constitutes as hate.

I think they're saying the venomous way in which you've been expressing yourself lately constitutes as hate, actually. Maybe that's just me. No biggie. Sometimes a man gots to rant.

Nervous Hamster said:
*Raises hand*

P.S: I love your avatar :)

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:

You misunderstand. I don't expect blind fans of a certain direction to listen to a word I say, regardless of its inherent truthfulness.
Bitter, angry, bloodlust, unsatisfiable. Your like the perfect storm of messege board posters.

Either you move out of the way, or get destroyed by your pitbull like vengence.

Amir0x

Banned
GDGF said:
I think they're saying the venomous way in which you've been expressing yourself constitutes as hate, actually. Maybe that's just me. No biggie. Sometimes a man gots to rant.

I got venom for all camps, i'm just more critical of Nintendo's decisions since it is actually gonna impact me since I'm getting a Wii

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
pff you people want to see Amir0x angry?

FF3>>>>>FF12

take that Amir0x!

btw Im jk do not turn this into a ff thread ;)

beelzebozo said:
i'm sure there are things that each system will have that the other two systems is not capable of.

when comparing wii to ps3/360, the most obvious differences are the control scheme and the graphical prowess. it's much more difficult to compare the 360 to the ps3 at the moment for a number of reasons (not the least of which is that no one is quite sure what the ps3 is capable of graphically).

i don't think you have to be an "n-tard" or a fanboy to realize that wii makes the gaming landscape, as it were, more textured and interesting than another next-generation graphic monster. enjoying the concepts behind the system and also planning on getting your graphical fix elsewhere are not mutually exclusive feelings.

Great post.

I don't want to play every game on the Wiimote. I don't want every game running at standard resolution, with barely improved graphics, physics and AI. I don't want to see depthless minigames as far as the eyes can see. I don't want every game to forego complex battle systems like Ninja Gaiden and DMC in favor of swinging a sword like a maniac.

I also don't want every game trying to pull off Hollywood production values. I don't want to see videogames be all about who can make the prettiest explosions. I don't want developers focused more on bells and whistles than level design and control, just so they can appeal to A/V enthusiasts and the MTV crowd. I don't want an industry terrified to try anything different. I don't want every game using ten buttons, five menus, and overblown, generic plotlines. And I don't want user interface design to stagnate.

So hopefully, each approach is successful enough that developers can choose which one suits them, we get a wide variety of great games, and everyone wins. Except for Amir0x because he's poor.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Error2k4 said:
pff you people want to see Amir0x angry?

FF3>>>>>FF12

take that! ha!

btw Im jk do not turn this into a ff thread ;)
Okami is a yes another overrated artsy fartsy game.

Mother 3 sucks.

Yes, yes. That'll do. *rubs hands together*

Nervous Hamster said:
Nintendo on the other hand is the only one company left to think for the gaming/games/gamers, not for their wallets.

lol :eek:)

FREEZE!!!

Nintendo is one of many companies who thinks about their wallets. Nintendo isn't going to lose 1 dime each Wii hardware, au contraire, they will profit from each Wii hardware sold.

Back in the NES, SNES days, Nintendo was notorious about thinking about their wallets first and ended up alienating 3rd parties away and created the Playstation 1 in the process.

$20 nunchucks + $40 remotes = $60 for a controller. Remember Nintedno rarely, rarely loses money on hardware and accesories

Dreamcast lost money on each DC sold
Xbox lost money on each Xbox sold
PS3 will lose considerable amounts of money on each PS3 sold

is Nintendo going to lose money on each Wii sold? No Wai, they will profit from each Wii console sold

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Archie said:
Okami is a yes another overrated artsy fartsy game.

Mother 3 sucks.

Yes, yes. That'll do. *rubs hands together*
:lol I didnt want to go that far

ThirdEye

LOL, I laughed at Mielke's shameless plug for RR7 that was featured in his publication. He should have trashed all games including RR7 for their inability to justify $600. (Personally I think those games easily justify $600, or $500, or even $1000, mind you.)

PolyGone

Banned
Milky is my new hero. In one fell swoop he brings up:

-Sony tends to f*ck over early adopters with faulty hardware
-Sony's insistence on telling you what you need in life (eg: This is Living)
-Sony's backing of Blu-ray as the great hd hope when most are satisfied with dvd
-Sony's transparent attempt to out-do Nintendo with their "sixaxis" controller, which will no doubt be falsely marketed as a Wii killer when it has almost none of the functionality of the wiimote

Still, its not like he's saying he won't buy a PS3. Of course he will. I'm gonna assume most of us will at some point, once the price has come down and the hardware alterations have been made. Because it will have some undeniably must-have games. But if the Wii is as successful as the DS in Japan it could mean we see some of those great series jump ship - as the recently announced Squeenix trifecto of Wonderful World, Heroes of Mana and FF12RW suggests. If you rule the roost in Japan you end up on top, because most people want great, exclusive Japanese-made titles, and those get made for the market leader.

He's pretty much spot on when it comes to the wii's pricepoint, I said this last night:

PolyGone said:
pricing it at $250 gives them elbow room to reduce the price as the years go by (any cheaper and we're getting into PSP/DS territory which is a little soon for what you are getting), while simultaneously preventing it from being viewed as a cheap children's toy (something it is not).

And as far as the name is concerned, the name differentiates it from the competition unlike the last generation (you won't have someone asking for a gamebox or a gamestation at the local EB/Gamestop only to be sold on the competition - "Oh, you mean an xbox? You mean a PlayStation?"). So I think the name serves its purpose.

He fails to mention how attractive the Wii is going to be to developers in Japan who don't have the huge teams and budgets necessary to compete with the bigboys on PS3/360. We could see a ton of interesting must-own titles, just as the original PS had amazing software that would've been too expensive to make on the N64 due to its architecture and cartridge medium. And so what if the graphics looked like Okami? Are you ppl not going to play Okami and FF12 just because you've seen great looking PS3 games that completely outclass them? If so, you're part of the problem.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are...you serious? You honestly feel that Nintendo is on some crusade for the common good? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oni Jazar

Hampster said:

Ironic considering Nintendo is the only one making any money with these systems.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PolyGone said:
Are you ppl not going to play Okami and FF12 just because you've seen great looking PS3 games that completely outclass them? If so, you're part of the problem.

Are people not going to play Gears of War and and Mass Effect just because the Wii has a new way to interact with games that these games don't? If so, you're part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom