• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3, 360, and a love for Wii: The Milkman Speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBoss

moku said:
Know when someones dead-on? You get reactions like this.

He is 100%correct, and no one wants to admit it.

Good read, and accurate as hell.

Why is it that after every single time I read one of your posts I want to kick you in the balls and hear you scream like a little girl?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
+1 mielke fan.
i agree with much of what he has to say.
this, reading his interview with inaba, and my okami preorder being fully paid off today make this a day of serendipitous mielke love for me.

fight the good fight, sir.

KINGMOKU

SolidSnakex said:
So you'd have no problem watching and playing games that look like videos on YouTube?
As long as thier fun, I could care less what they look like. If your somehow trying to say that Wii games look like youtube videos, you fail.

Maybe some people here dont remember what fun is, when playing a videogame. I played games, and had fun with the magnavox oddysee, and thier paper overlays. Dont care what a game looks like, as long as I have fun for my 50$.

Some people seem to think that even if they have a blast with a game its not worth the money if it's technically inferior to Gears of war(Example).

Do I like great graphics? **** yes I do. I know the pain of Old-ass videogame systems with glowing blocks, and crud sound. Graphics now, in this gen right now, have reached a great point for me.

I think milk's whole way of thinking is perfect. My opinion, but I think that it will play itself out in sales for the next 5 years, and people will reject the insane pricepoints of the other two.

250$, Zelda on launch day, and Wii sports included. It cant get any better, for me.

Deku

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
Anyone else picture an old man swinging his cane around rambling to no one?

That would be the 1996 Defense Force complaining about non-games, non-gamers. The same people who wish it was still 1996 :(

Don't know who this guy is and he certainly has a lot of flame baits and his writing, but the gist of his points are true and is what is fueling a lot of anger towards Sony.

And LOL at the damage control. Really, do we need them in a thread about someone's opinion on the industry?

Amir0x said:
Last favorite part was when his final paragraph is dedicated to trying to proclaim Gamecube had an equal library to PS2, quality wise, pound-for-pound... which completely and utterly regulated his blogpost to the realm of 'hidden fantard finally revealing himself.

Yeah, it's almost like he went way over the top to provoke reaction. I know there's a good word used to describe that, it's right on the tip of my tongue...

xaosslug

Ranger X said:
Not this detail. I generally agree with what i says. I don't need a BlueRay player and console that cooks my breakfast. I only care about game design evolution. (mostly)
I'm not like most young people, i'm cutting through alot of stuff that i feel isn't important. I don't even have a cellphone or an Ipod per example.
Anyway, just feel like the biggies (Microsoft/Sony) are trying to hard pushing stuff down our troats. The realistic need isn't necessarily there for everything they suggest (should i say MOST things maybe?)

I was commenting on this:

Ranger X said:
there will not be games twice as beautifull as RE4 (still didn't happen on any console yet anyway)

In order for you to seriously mean that, I must assume you haven't seen any recent PS3/360 media, not to mention the latest PS2 stuff even? God Of War 2 looks... godly.

Finally, James Mielke has made my decision for me.

Everyone stop bitching, it's one man's opinion.

Apart from some broken logic and associations, the man, for the most part, is right. However, I think it's way too early to be making these types of rants. Two weeks from now would have been more appropriate (post-TGS).

JB1981

Deku said:
That would be the 1996 Defense Force complaining about non-games, non-gamers. The same people who wish it was still 1996 :(

Don't know who this guy is and he certainly has a lot of flame baits and his writing, but the gist of his points are true and is what is fueling a lot of anger towards Sony.

And LOL at the damage control. Really, do we need them in a thread about someone's opinion on the industry?

Your reaction doesn't surprise me!

Code:
Not at all.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:
Last favorite part was when his final paragraph is dedicated to trying to proclaim Gamecube had an equal library to PS2, quality wise, pound-for-pound... which completely and utterly regulated his blogpost to the realm of 'hidden fantard finally revealing himself.'

The funniest part of the article. Not even the n-tardliest n-tards around here argue this.

Well, most.

BigBoss said:
Why is it that after every single time I read one of your posts I want to kick you in the balls and hear you scream like a little girl?

:lol

moku just has that quality about him.

moku said:
As long as thier fun, I could care less what they look like. If your somehow trying to say that Wii games look like youtube videos, you fail.

I'm absolutely not saying that. But you said you agreed 100% with what he said and one of his arguments was against HD and he used YT's popularity as a reason why people don't need it.

moku said:
Maybe some people here dont remember what fun is, when playing a videogame.

It doesn't mean that you can't have top notch graphics alot with that fun though.

snatches

Catchpenny said:
Hey, that's great. I can understand that, I really can.

Now, can you understand that some people believe that playing games at a higher resolution is not the defining feature of a console, and may even be considered a minor factor in deciding what console to buy?

This is why Wii should be successful. I believe this statement represents most of the mass market.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
SolidSnakex said:
That answer is simple then, there's no other place that you can get that much content that quickly and so people just accept the quality they're given. It doesn't mean they wouldn't like it in a higher quality though.
fair enough.

Im not trying to defend the guy, but people here take things too literally. so he enjoyed GC games more than PS2 games, so what?

Im not trying to defend the guy or anything because I could care less about Milky but I remember all the praise he got for those awesome features he has done in 1up and now he because states his opinion, the guy sucks? seriously...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Maybe some people here dont remember what fun is, when playing a videogame.
Did you ever stop for a second and consider that something which may have been fun 25 years ago may not actually be all that fun anymore? Tastes DO change, you know.

The argument that you need a new controller in order to have fun is beyond ridiculous.

This is why Wii should be successful. I believe this statement represents most of the mass market.
So it should be successful because it LACKS technology? Don't make me laugh.

The console that should be most successful is the console that will bring the best software that the highest number of people want to play. To make such a determination at this point is just foolish.

Amir0x

Banned
Error2k4 said:
fair enough.

Im not trying to defend the guy, but people here take things too literally. so he enjoyed GC games more than PS2 games, so what?

Im not trying to defend the guy or anything because I could care less about Milky but I remember all the praise he got for those awesome features he has done in 1up and now he because states his opinion in his personal blog no less, the guy sucks? seriously...

He says something out his ass, people are taking it apart like they tend to do on the internet. If you liked his mostly objective pieces where he simply has interviews and shit... that's fine... but if this is his overarching opinion on things, I can neither take him seriously or trust his opinion on games. I don't think Milky "sucks", but I do think the blog is all sorts of hypocritical and bullshit.

Error

dark10x said:
The argument that you need a new controller in order to have fun is beyond ridiculous.
have you played Guitar Hero? you need to buy that controller to have fun in that game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Error2k4 said:
fair enough.

Im not trying to defend the guy or anything because I could care less about Milky but I remember all the praise he got for those awesome features he has done in 1up and now he because states his opinion in his personal blog no less, the guy sucks? seriously...

That's not really what was argued.

If it was, "Hey, I enjoyed GC games as much as PS2 games," well, fine. How can you argue one person's own personal experience?

When someone says something like, "GC's library is roughly equivalent to PS2's library," then yes, that is a statement open to objective and subjective analysis. The statement is poorly supported and defended by the author and it is attacked.

This whole, "BLAH BLAH BLAH ONE GUY'S OPINION," defense is ridiculous. In no other field is that used. "One man's opinion" in political science launched the entire neo-realism movement. "One man's opinion" on rock music shaped the culture for decades.

Why can't we discuss, honestly and openly, "one man's opinion" and not have people brush it off in the same glib and dismissive manner that people bitch about us making fun of VGCats?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
beelzebozo said:
+1 mielke fan.
i agree with much of what he has to say.
this, reading his interview with inaba, and my okami preorder being fully paid off today make this a day of serendipitous mielke love for me.

fight the good fight, sir.

Shouldn't the PS2 be as powerful as the PSone with better controls? :lol
Okami wouldn't be possible on the PSone. Don't you get it now?

SuperPac

Catchpenny said:
Now, can you understand that some people believe that playing games at a higher resolution is not the defining feature of a console, and may even be considered a minor factor in deciding what console to buy?

I love this question, because you are so right on the money and most people here would probably dismiss this notion without a second thought.

Error2k4 said:
fair enough.

Im not trying to defend the guy or anything because I could care less about Milky but I remember all the praise he got for those awesome features he has done in 1up and now he because states his opinion, the guy sucks? seriously...

I've never said anything about him sucking. But the blog entry is pretty hypocritical. As dark10x has pointed out, he goes off on Sony for releasing systems and then having the 2nd version of them hurt users who might not have bought the first version of the system while praising Nintendo left and right when they've done the exact same thing. They're both guilty of it although I don't think its really a big deal in either case (although he seems to). It's just a mess and this reaction isn't really surprising.

dark10x said:
Did you ever stop for a second and consider that something which may have been fun 25 years ago may not actually be all that fun anymore? Tastes DO change, you know.

The console that should be most successful is the console that will bring the best software that the highest number of people want to play. To make such a determination at this point is just foolish.
the argument is that a new controller allows new and alternate types of fun that you couldn't get on the old controllers.

that's why anyone that considers themself a gamer won't just own a Wii but a Wii and either a PS3, Xbox 360 or all three.

it doesn't stop games on normal controllers being fun it just offers new types of fun. Guitar Hero, DDR, and others are pretty solid examples... if a little bit genre specific.

dark10x

Error2k4 said:
have you played Guitar Hero? you need to buy that controller to have fun in that game.
Yes, in THAT game. Guitar Hero represents what percentage of the PS2 library?

Gimmicky controllers are good fun when dealing with certain games. That's one that that always made arcade machines so much fun, afterall.

If you were to take that Guitar Hero controller and require every game to use it, however, things would be a little different...wouldn't they? You can have fun with a large variety of controllers but it is the software that must be enjoyable. The simply fact, taken by itself, that the Wii offers a unique controller is not enough of a reason for it to succeed. Fun and innovation will be found in software across all platforms regardless of the controller.

That's right.

A game like Okami could not have existed on the PSX, the N64, the Nintendo DS, or any other machine of that generation. When more powerful hardware is first introduced, it takes time for the devleopers to truly come to grips with it. When they finally start to, however, you will see things you've never seen before.

Something like Shadow of the Colossus, for instance, is a game that simply could not have existed on an older machine (and barely could exist on PS2). There WILL be more concepts that materialize that simply won't be possible on older machines...we just aren't there yet. I think a lot of people forget that improved technology can and will bring more than just pretty visuals...

Y2Kevbug11 said:
This whole, "BLAH BLAH BLAH ONE GUY'S OPINION," defense is ridiculous. In no other field is that used. "One man's opinion" in political science launched the entire neo-realism movement. "One man's opinion" on rock music shaped the culture for decades.

Why can't we discuss, honestly and openly, "one man's opinion" and not have people brush it off in the same glib and dismissive manner that people bitch about us making fun of VGCats?

UK Resistance made the PS2 fail horribly. I remember that as clearly as I remember having sex with Pheobe Cates.

Error

y2k yeah I know. hell I dont agree with that statement of his (PS2>>>>GC no doubt about it), still I dont give a flying **** if he thinks that way. what baffles me is why people put so much weight in that

you can argue alright but when you have replies like this...

Wow, what contentious, cynical, angsty man-child crap. This is the media that represents gamers. Sad. This kind of stuff is one of the reasons I've enjoyed gaming less and less over the past few years.
umm yeah...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Milkman is a TRUE GAMER and as a TRUE GAMER he and you should support the Wii... because the Wii is the ONLY console that is about and for TRUE GAMERS.

I have spoken.

mckmas8808 said:
Guitar Hero would be possible on the PS1 with it's new controller. it would play exactly the same as it does on PS2 and be just as fun.

that's as valid a comparison as the one you just made.

BOTH are valid ways of furthering game design.

KINGMOKU

dark10x said:

What argument? Far as I know, your arguing with yourself. If you want to play games the old way, but with awesome power, buy a 360/PS3. Want to play games in a different way, that is new, and perhaps fun? Buy a Wii.

Simple as that.

People here seem to have gotten the wrong impression of me. Would I have liked the Wii to be as powerfull as the PS3/360? Yes, but not for such a massive cost. I would have been pissed had the Wii been as powerfull, but at a 400$ pricepoint. I wouldnt have bought it.(It would have sucked, but paying that much just for the console is assinine to me) The real selling point for me is the controller. Some people see it as gimicky/bullshit, and thats thier right to do so. Am I pissed that the controller is 60 ****ing bucks? YES.

I just see it as a chance to play the same game I have been playing for 25+years, in a new light.

Me and Milky think alike.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
mckmas8808 said:

this isn't a ps2 vs. gamecube, or ps3 vs. 360 vs. wii argument for me. i own all three of the current generation systems, and i dig them all. that said, gamecube is my favorite.

i do plan on owning all three next-gen systems. it's a matter of when, not if.

what i do appreciate about mielke's post is his contention that there is nothing wrong with the wii as a machine--if it is capable of games twice the graphical integrity of re4, and includes a system of control that is new and interesting, i'm personally more intrigued by that than the other systems.

his comments about the quality of the gamecube are auxillary points that, to me, ring true (clearly not to many). whatever the case, me appreciating what he has to say has no bearing on my anticipation for okami. i play good games where they are, buster, and no amount of forum "wit" stops that.

$h@d0w

DarienA said:
Milkman is a TRUE GAMER and as a TRUE GAMER he and you should support the Wii... because the Wii is the ONLY console that is about and for TRUE GAMERS.

I have spoken.

True gamers buy all systems.

Ristamar

dark10x said:
Exactly.

My point was that Nintendo did exactly what Milkman was blasting Sony for. He was USING that example (the HDD thing) as a reason to avoid buying the PS3 and I'm saying that is completely silly in light of his Nintendo support.

Yes, in that regard he did have some arguably dubious points. On the other hand, his beef with hardware reliability being sketchy until it goes through multiple internal revisions/upgrades, IMO, is valid (which is what I thought the hardware revisions comment was about in the first place)

Ranger X

xaosslug said:
I was commenting on this:

In order for you to seriously mean that, I must assume you haven't seen any recent PS3/360 media, not to mention the latest PS2 stuff even? God Of War 2 looks... godly.

I seeeeee. ;)

Ok well, i'm yet to see a game that is "2 times better looking" in my point of view. "Twice" isn't a small word. Twice for me is like going from Tekken 2 to Tekken Tag, from GT2 to GT4, stuff like that.
RE4 isn't 2 times worse looking than God of War that's for sure and most next-gen footage isn't blowing RE4 away either. Some games are already 2 times more advanced technically speaking but the lighting and art direction of RE4 is so well done that the game still looks strong even today. I suppose 2007 and more probably 2008 we will see the games that will ridiculise RE4. (i hope)

masud

Banned
He was spinning a little for Nintendo (that GCN ode was a bit much). But I agree with everything he said about Sony.

Archie said:
Oh no someone has an opinion I don't like. I better explain why he is wrong point by point!
i'm pro Wii. his opinion was horribly backed up by biased reasoning that didn't hold all the consoles to the same standard. but whatever, i'm off home to play Guitar Hero.

dark10x

What argument? Far as I know, your arguing with yourself. If you want to play games the old way, but with awesome power, buy a 360/PS3. Want to play games in a different way, that is new, and perhaps fun? Buy a Wii.
As I edited in above, there are so many games that ended up being released this past generation that would NOT have been possible without the hardware powering them. Many of those unique ideas and attempts were not made early on, however, as it takes time.

It has been proven time and again that more powerful hardware brings to the table more than pretty visuals. At first? Yes, but that will change.

To suggest that the games will remain nothing more than same old same old is incredibly short sighted and ignorant on your part.

If I were to approach the Wii with your mindset, I would claim that the Wii is simply going to bring a wave of OLD games controlled via a gimmick.

PolyGone

Banned
yep... pretty much gotta agree 100% with the Milkman since thats pretty much what I've been saying this whole time... only I got banned for it a couple of times of course. :lol

this is like straight out of the wii screenshot thread last night:

Milky said:
If games on the Wii can only look twice as good as Resident Evil 4, I think I'll survive. Seriously, art direction accomplishes more than all the bump-maps and bloom lighting in the world. I'd rather look at something with the visual fidelity and art style of Okami than at Oblivion's bump-mapped lizard people any day of the week, and I'm pretty sure the Wii can manage an Okami-style graphics engine.

So is the writer an original Nintendo fanboy who felt betrayed, jumped to Sony, then felt betrayed by Sony and is now jumping back on the Nintendo bandwagon?

Error

dark10x said:
Yes, in THAT game. Guitar Hero represents what percentage of the PS2 library?
yeah but your reply wasnt like that

you said buying new controllers to have fun is ridiculous and well I provided an example to show you how that's NOT ridiculous ;)

dark10x

Error2k4 said:
yeah but your reply wasnt like that

you said buying new controllers to have fun is ridiculous and well I provided an example to show you how's that NOT ridiculous ;)
My point was that a controller alone does not determine whether or not something is fun. :)

snatches

dark10x said:

I know you hate this fact Dark10x, and frankly the whole idea makes me a little uncomfortable, but here it is: The mass market is totally ignorant. It will be successful because it is compelling, new, and drives word of mouth. Because it will be fun as hell when you have friends over and drinking. Because it doesn't try and do more than its core function in any sort of dramatic way. I can see why it's potential success is worrying to you. The problem is that people like you, that are offended by the Wii's drawbacks, are in a painfully small minority. Perhaps even smaller than the minority that knows BluRay exists or what the hell it is.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
plagiarize said:
Guitar Hero would be possible on the PS1 with it's new controller. it would play exactly the same as it does on PS2 and be just as fun.

that's as valid a comparison as the one you just made.

BOTH are valid ways of furthering game design.

Well yeah. I LOVE what Nintendo is doing with the Wii. You don't have to tell me about that. But we are discussing the craziness of the Milkman.

Ceb

Embed this ogre, etc, etc.

Mielke tries too hard, yet again. The world is in shock. I would like it if this was the last we heard of him so we wouldn't have to endure another piece of PR-vaguely-shaped-like-"cover-story" fluff again. =/

Despite what the tone of my post might indicate, I'm not really upset. Just dreadfully tired of this type of antics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom