• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 40GB Euro Doggystyle Edition™ OFFICIAL!

Duderz

Banned
New to this thread, so forgive me if it has already been covered...

Looks like the 40GB PS3 is coming, so is it the same feature for feature as the 60 and 80 GB models (i.e. wifi and all that?)

Wollan

From what we know Wifi is still in (from the FCC filing). Obviously it has BD/HDD as it wouldn't play PS3 games otherwise. It seems to have two instead of four USB ports and it uses slightly less power as well (3.2 -> 3.0).

Duderz

Banned
Wollan said:
From what we know Wifi is still in (from the FCC filing). Obviously it has BD/HDD as it wouldn't play PS3 games otherwise. It seems to have two instead of four USB ports and it uses slightly less power as well (3.2 -> 3.0).

Works for me. Don't really need another 2 USB adaptors anyway.

Looks like I may be buying a PS3 this year after all. :D

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
oo Kosma oo said:
399 will destroy the 360 in Europe as a whole.

Sony will lose marketshare this gen. Microsoft will gain marketshare. Nintendo will gain marketshare. Microsoft and Nintendo will be smiling. Sony will not.

what makes people think sony will price a 40gb PS3 with Blu-ray at the same price as a 20gb 360 that has NO hd-dvd @$399? price cut to $450 most likely if there is one......$429 at the most.

Remember: Ratchet and Clank has been delayed 1 week (and the game has gone gold). No reason was given.... they only have said that the extra wait will be worth it.. Is the new PS3 399 e/$ going to launch with Ratchet and clank?????

Dragon

Banned
frAntic_Frog said:
what makes people think sony will price a 40gb PS3 with Blu-ray at the same price as a 20gb 360 that has NO hd-dvd @$399? price cut to $450 most likely if there is one......$429 at the most.
Didn't you just give a reason why Sony would do that?

NIghtWolf

Shepherd said:
Sony will lose marketshare this gen. Microsoft will gain marketshare. Nintendo will gain marketshare. Microsoft and Nintendo will be smiling. Sony will not.

And you will gain?

fanboys will be mad this gen, but gamers will be smiling. (well, it depends thought lol)

Fady K

Robinspain said:
Remember: Ratchet and Clank has been delayed 1 week (and the game has gone gold). No reason was given.... they only have said that the extra wait will be worth it.. Is the new PS3 399 e/$ going to launch with Ratchet and clank?????

That would be a good move for Sony.

calder

Robinspain said:
It could just be a move back to coincide with 2.0

That would be almost as cool, if 2.0 implements some of the stuff like Achievements, er, I mean Accomplishments we've heard so much about.

jonabbey

calder said:
It could just be a move back to coincide with 2.0

That would be almost as cool, if 2.0 implements some of the stuff like Achievements, er, I mean Accomplishments we've heard so much about.

I wouldn't imagine accomplishments would require specific firmware support.. I'd imagine the libraries that come on the Blu-Ray would implement whatever network protocols Sony uses to handle that.

They might need firmware 2.0 to have accomplishments or whatever show up in the XMB, I suppose.

Weren't they supposed to be radically revamping the look and feel of the PS store at some point as well?

Fady K

twinturbo2 said:
So, should I set my expectations high or low for Sony's Horrendous Space Kablooie announcement on the 12th?

I'd say low so in the end you're not too disappointed, or you're surprised :D

Raist

Banned
Raist said:
Gotta love the interwebs :lol

Went from "rumor : PS3 price drop" to "sony to announce price drop for october 12th" to "sony conference to take place on october 12th to announce a price drop !!1one"

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/01/ps3-price-cut-coming-october-12th/

And it keeps rolling ! XD

http://www.pcinpact.com/actu/news/39192-PS3-baisse-prix-13-octobre-399-euros.htm

Quick translation :

"Sony big bang conference on october 12th am confirmed, 399€ PS3 offer starts the 13th."

Gotta love VG websites.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

XonoX

And then there's this :

I work for a Sony Store in Australia and my Playstation rep just called to ask how many 40GB consoles I wanted to order. Here are the details:

40 GB Hard Drive
NO card Readers
No PS2 Chipset (Basically no PS2 Compatability)

Australian RRP is $699 (compared to $999 for the 60GB), so thats a 30% price decrease. There are no 60GB consoles left.

Release date is October 12th. There you go guys, first official confirmation!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=11784897#post11784897

Raist

Banned
I work for a Sony Store in Australia and my Playstation rep just called to ask how many 40GB consoles I wanted to order. Here are the details:

40 GB Hard Drive
NO card Readers
No PS2 Chipset (Basically no PS2 Compatability)

Australian RRP is $699 (compared to $999 for the 60GB), so thats a 30% price decrease. There are no 60GB consoles left.

Release date is October 12th. There you go guys, first official confirmation!

Doesn't sound right.

lupinko

I think it's just no EE like the 80GB, don't know why people keep throwing the GS into the wolves like that. :lol

Raist

Banned
Il Comodino said:
becouse the Ps2 compatibility now it's software.

It's half software half hardware AFAWK. So unless they've made it 100% software I doubt they'd take the GS off.

lupinko said:
I think it's just no EE like the 80GB, don't know why people keep throwing the GS into the wolves like that. :lol
Doesn't Australia use the European model? Then they never had "full hardware emulation".

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They'd take the GS out to..you know..cut costs. And give some added-value to the more expensive systems which they'll still want to sell.

Of course, it's possible they'd have some 100% software emulation for PS2 titles. Or that it will come in time.

lupinko

Il Comodino said:
becouse the Ps2 compatibility now it's software.

Isn't it still part hardware? All the PS3s in Europe, South Korea and now the 80GB models in North America still contain the Graphic Synthesizer, which is the PS2's GPU. Only thing that was removed was the Emotion Engine, the CPU.

Ever get the feeling MS start these rumours and the Sony legions pounce on them and run with them in the hope they are true?

Personally I think Sony should focus on getting the machines they have out there down in price but I guess they have a problem with the backlog of stock in the channels that retailers have already paid for which must be harder to discount that bringing out a fresh model.

Rolf NB

lupinko said:
Isn't it still part hardware? All the PS3s in Europe, South Korea and now the 80GB models in North America still contain the Graphic Synthesizer, which is the PS2's GPU. Only thing that was removed was the Emotion Engine, the CPU.
Yeah, it's still the original graphics hardware. I hear some of the idiocy on the internets is now implemented in software though.

Kildace

Gah, no PS2 backwards compatibility no buy :\ SCEE, I want a 60Gig + 2 sixaxises & 2 games for €500 for christmas. Make it so!

Pug

Looks like £299.99 in the UK and thats the minimum they have to be at. It will be intresting to see if MS moves the premium to something like £229.99 with a bundle. No doubts £299 will drive sales, but it is still on the expensive side, saying that I'm putting it on my Xmas list!

Top Bottom