• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 at Chinajoy Expo

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
All I can say is this game kickass. I haven't seen any games like this yet.
Remember Che is working for MS. Moreover, he has no credibility anyway.

wow - case closed!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Speevy said:
I mean in the sense that they're under a contract. There are several developers which aren't owned by any company, but create nothing but exclusive games for X console.

which would be something like Insomniac Games -- They'd still be considered second party. There's two forms of second parties the way i look at it, the Insomniac Games "exclusive to one console" company (contract or not) or the one or two exclusive game second party which can/might make games for other consoles/companies at the time -- something like Level 5.

so is there any actual (new) info from this thing or nothing?

ELS-01X

Banned
lair_sky_01a.gif

That seems doable.

Kittonwy

Banned
Speevy said:
So SK belongs to MS now?

MS might not have ownership of SK, but do you see SK making games for the PS3 in the foreseeable future? Because I sure don't, unless MS drops them like a rock. For a developer like Ninja Theory, Insomniac (a developer which has been with Sony for two generations now) and Factor 5, lots of resources were devoted to making a proprietary engine for the PS3 with the intention of pursuing games in the same franchise using the technology developed in-house, it's doubtful they will make a game for any other console, and Sony treats their second-party developers VERY WELL (so much so both Guerilla Games and Zipper Interactive are now happy to be SCEWW subsidiaries), and that's in addition to Ninja Theory having a very close relationship to SCEE Cambridge which some of the founders were from originally, they were JAM when they started their company and were dropped by MS after Kung Fu Chaos, now they're back with Sony.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
ELS-01X said:
lair_sky_01a.gif

That seems doable.

Especially considering that, they already shown us the real-time models at GDC.

Real-time wireframe dragon model
lair5fd4.jpg

Real-time dragon model from his left side
lair4mz1.jpg

Real-time dragon model from his right side
lair6pf1.jpg

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Doom_Bringer said:
Playstation Meeting 2005 < Normal mapping gone horribly wrong and no skybox

GDC 2006 < Excellent model, normal mapping isn't evident and decent skybox
Normal mapping isn't the issue here and I have no idea what kind of point you're trying to make about skyboxes.

kaching said:
Normal mapping isn't the issue here and I have no idea what kind of point you're trying to make about skyboxes.

The game was early/unfinished. I am just saying how everything has been improved and honestly the Playsatation meeting models were terrible! Too shiny, too plasticy..

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Doom_Bringer said:
The game was early/unfinished. I am just saying how everything has been improved and honestly the Playsatation meeting models were terrible! Too shiny, too plasticy..
You're comparing two rather different scenes representing different conditions. You have no idea if that accurately depicts improvement or simply showing something different from the game.

ELS-01X

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
It was raining. Wet surfaces tend to be shiny :/

Striek

ELS-01X said:
It was raining. Wet surfaces tend to be shiny :/
With lightning, at GDC exactly the same effect occurs. Hell just from that picture you can see the back of the bottom dragon doesn't look shiny. Its grasping at straws.

Oh and theres no way that scene in your .gif is real-time. Watching the 720p trailer and seeing a couple hundred dragons flapping away with astounding detail in the front one especially and the most beautiful lighting gives a different impression than a tiny compressed movie :p

ELS-01X

Banned
Striek said:
With lightning, at GDC exactly the same effect occurs. Hell just from that picture you can see the back of the bottom dragon doesn't look shiny. Its grasping at straws.
The GDC demo is from the same trailer, duh. Someone should look at trailer before talking nonsense.

Oh and theres no way that scene in your .gif is real-time. Watching the 720p trailer and seeing a couple hundred dragons flapping away with astounding detail in the front one especially and the most beautiful lighting gives a different impression than a tiny compressed movie :p
Did I claim it was real time? No.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Striek said:

The dragon model was real-time see...

lair6pf1.jpg

Striek

ELS-01X said:
The GDC demo is from the same trailer, duh. Someone should look at trailer before talking nonsense.
You do realise I was not only agreeing with you, I was also giving a further reason why it looks plasticy in that shot? Damned so defensive over nothing.

And no, I was talking about the part at GDC where the two dragons have a camera being rotated around whilst in attack, not the trailer from PS Meeting 05.

ELS-01X said:
Did I claim it was real time? No.
...calm down sparky. Did I claim you claimed it was realtime? No. Sheesh :lol

@mckmas, I know it was realtime at GDC, I'm saying in conjunction with everything else going on in that trailer I find it hard to believe (that and the unwillingness of the developers to clarify, because I really doubt Sony wouldn't want that out there).

jett

D-Member
I don't really understand why is the E3 2k6 trailer considered CG. The graphical quality is about the same as always.

Kittonwy

Banned
Mmmkay said:
Guys those pictures are from E3 and all came from a thread days ago on OA.

For some reason those are some of the best pictures I've seen, the lighting isn't as apparent and doesn't look as good in the official screens.

Mau ®

Kittonwy said:
For some reason those are some of the best pictures I've seen, the lighting isn't as apparent and doesn't look as good in the official screens.

True. Warhawk's water is amazing, the model is meh though...

inthezone said:
True. Warhawk's water is amazing, the model is meh though...

Yeah the designers said that Warhawk is a modified World War II era plane. In my opinion it doesn’t fit in…on one hand you have these massive air battleships that are floating in the sky with futuristic radar equipment and whatnot and on the other hand you have this shitty looking WWII airplane with rocket boosters. What were they thinking? :lol

Totally batshit insane

antiloop

The lightning in most of the Warhawk screens aren't that good because it is late evening or night in those pics.

I don't think we have any broad daylight screens?

J-Rzez

lunlunqq said:

man... I really can't wait to have that in my entertainment center... I really like the looks of it... I wish they'd release it in White as well... :( that white with the chrome strip on it! bling! Oh well, can't win them all...

Warhawks water is gorgeous though, and I don't mind the style of fighter in it... I don't see what's so wrong with it... has a primitive WWII style with simplistic 70's (aka PhantomII and a rugged look that reminds me of a A-10)... I like it...

ram

Doom_Bringer said:
Yeah the designers said that Warhawk is a modified World War II era plane. In my opinion it doesn’t fit in…on one hand you have these massive air battleships that are floating in the sky with futuristic radar equipment and whatnot and on the other hand you have this shitty looking WWII airplane with rocket boosters. What were they thinking? :lol

Totally batshit insane

you never heard of steam-punk? ah wait, youre the guy that thinks ace combat 4 is way better than ace combat 5.... that explains many things...

the style is genius and i really dig it. its way better than the previous 08/15 sci-fi style in warhawk ps1.

teiresias

I think it would look better without the silver trim around the CD slot, have just the silver streak down the side. Then, of course, lose the Spider-man font and put "PS3" on the side in the same font as the "PS2" on the side of the PS2 - only in silver as well instead of the blue on PS2. That would be the new hotness.

bud

teiresias said:
I think it would look better without the silver trim around the CD slot, have just the silver streak down the side. Then, of course, lose the Spider-man font and put "PS3" on the side in the same font as the "PS2" on the side of the PS2 - only in silver as well instead of the blue on PS2. That would be the new hotness.

just putting ps3 instead of playstation3 would make it look even bigger than it is.

teiresias

Bud said:
just putting ps3 instead of playstation3 would make it look even bigger than it is.

It depends, doing the PS3 in the font that it's done on PS2 would accentuate the height (when it's vertical) of the unit rather than accentuate the width of it, which I think tends to make one see it as "stunted" and more pudgy. If it accentuated the height it would at least make the unit have a consistent vertical orientation in the design when it is standing vertically, rather than having this long horizontal component printed arcross the front when it's standing vertically.

Top Bottom