• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CALENDAR BUG FIXED. READ OP - now I can play Bakugan Battle Brawlers, thank God

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
This thread was immensely satisfying.

Thank you, all :'D

shagg_187 said:
iz5og1.jpg

Brilliant :lol :lol

Morac

Neo Member
To answer my own question. Trophies I earned prior to 7 PM EST yesterday are there. I didn't get any of the trophies I should have earned after 7 PM. I only hope that they are not permanently broken and that I can get them again.

tirminyl

It's restored! Between the time of the apocalyps3 and me working, I never actually had time to complain that I couldn't use my ps3. Thanks for the entertainment Gaf!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Thread came to a screeching halt.

Everyone's busy now I see :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DangerousDave said:
I love how the explanations are vague enought to give the interpretation that they fixed it, but without lying.

Yeah,

"we have verified that the symptoms are now resolved"

It means they understand the systems autofixed but it also sounds like the did something.

TTP said:
Yeah,

"we have verified that the symptoms are now resolved"

It means they understand the systems autofixed but it also sounds like the did something.

Probably they spent this last 24 hours in designing the comunicate, choosing the exact words, instead of looking for any fix :D

Igo

Why haven't I seen a pic with Trenton or Ad guy superimposed over an images of Jack Bauer with some witty text beneath?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sony made the right move in not doing anything. If some of you were running engineering, they would have rushed a patch through last night that pointed the OS away from the system clock and crashed PSN in sixty countries or some shit. It's back and it won't die for another four years. Woo.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Fantastic thread, been a brilliantly entertaining 36 odd hours, in retrospect I think we will have found memory's of this day, and big ups to all the gaffers that had the problem all figured out and respect to the brave people that cracked open their PS3's to test the CMOS fix out.

DeadGzuz

Banned
From the time of the lowest lows, we have the clowns..

AstroMan said:
This sounds bad. Like Sony get's their asses sued, bad. Or maybe even death of the brand bad.

And level headed realist..

expy said:
Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it. It's definitely an OS-clock issue, or in the validation of date/time. Firmware updates can still be done, either through software update or through a USB/pen drive. Trophies are server side, so those aren't a big deal neither (unless you didn't synch) but I doubt they're permanently affected.

AstroMan

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
From the time of the lowest lows, we have the clowns..

Am I a clown for grossly exasperating the issue and trying to instill paranoia in those with old PlayStation 3's? Maybe, but it sure was funny seeing personal friends and twitter homies cry foul and proclaim that they're giving up the PS3 for good.

On the real, Sony should release an update that'll prevent this issue from happening again.

Struct09

So they confirmed it to be a leap year calculation bug. Hopefully the intern responsible was fired :p

Good times, thanks for the laughs GAF.

During 24 tonight in the NYC area there were two commercial breaks with FOX 5 news promos that mentioned tuning in for a story on the "PS3 meltdown."

Other top stories: airport security and MTA fare hikes. :lol

noah111

Still Alive
nyong said:
That's pretty badass. If it were an avatar or t-shirt I'd sport it.
Pretty rough and dry, but not much I can do. :lol

http://i49.tinypic.com/ics2rp.png Taken! :p

(ps to those who don't know, this was posted many pages ago well before the apocalyps3 was over)

[EDIT] Would also make an awesome shirt. :lol

28i2kgx.png

Morac

Neo Member
I don't know if anyone posted this, but if you "earned" trophies during the glitch, but they got lost, you can re-earn them again. I just did so.

Shuusui

Serious question.

Did any of the downloadable movies/anime/tv shows become affected by this error? Like rentals expiring, for example. The sooner someone can answer this, the better.

Turned on my 60GB PS3. It signs into PSN with a date of 4/20/2020 :lol Grandia works, Crisis averted :D I guess the clock kept thinking it's a leap year, when there really isn't.

Top Bottom