• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 (Downgrade Stick?) Master Key (USB Jig Key?) Made Public | Service Mode Achieved

A master key?

Fuck YES. This should mean that the PS3 gets blown wide open now...in which case, it's time to go get a Slim and let my trusty 60 GB unit be the homebrew/jb'ed kit.

Glix

I just want a PS2 emulator that runs so bad.

Sony won't give it to me, but I'm sure some awesome programmer out there can do it. :D

Zoe

Glix said:
I just want a PS2 emulator that runs so bad.

Sony won't give it to me, but I'm sure some awesome programmer out there can do it. :D

Don't they have a hard enough time getting it to work on PC's? Even the 100% hardware BC had issues.

Glix

Zoe said:
Don't they have a hard enough time getting it to work on PC's? Even the 100% hardware BC had issues.

I trust the hacking community; they are amazing. Dolphin blows my mind.

I know there are issues and stuff, but c'mon, its CELL for crying out loud! Its even more powerful than the chip that control ED-209!

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Nuclear Muffin said:
Wow, the master key got leaked?!

Oh boy. I wonder how long it'll take Sony to change the key on the boards of new models?

I don't think it'll be a simple fw update. Aren't these hard-coded?

lethial said:
I don't think it'll be a simple fw update. Aren't these hard-coded?

Which is why I actually stated that they would only be changing the key on new models...

Anyway, any guesses as to how long it'll take em?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Nuclear Muffin said:
Which is why I actually stated that they would only be changing the key on new models...

My bad, read it wrong.

JudgeN

Nuclear Muffin said:

At this point in the generation, they aren't going to do anything. But what kind of security has a single unchangeable point of failure like this, seems like a stupid decision to me but I don't know anything about this stuff.

So how was his key found, any story yet?

Firehead

Zoe said:
He's saying they'll change it for new models that haven't been released yet.

Nuclear Muffin said:

Wouldn't that cause a problem with playing games released before the new key?

Zoe

JudgeN said:
At this point in the generation, they aren't going to do anything. But what kind of security has a single unchangeable point of failure like this, seems like a stupid decision to me but I don't know anything about this stuff.

It took them just a little over 4 years (aided probably by some shady happenings). I'd say that's pretty good security.

Firehead said:
Wouldn't that cause a problem with playing games released before the new key?

Not if they change the firmware to accommodate both.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Nick Laslett said:
Once they crack PSN, we won't even have to worry about losing online play. I also heard there are some wicked exploits for COD which can only be enabled with a jailbroken PS3. My buddies better watch out once I have those kind of perks.

oh joy. Hopefully they have a way of detecting.

Zoe

Nick Laslett said:
Once they crack PSN, we won't even have to worry about losing online play. I also heard there are some wicked exploits for COD which can only be enabled with a jailbroken PS3. My buddies better watch out once I have those kind of perks.

You might want to be careful with talking about cheating.

Nick Laslett said:
Sony must be secretly pleased, they'll shift a lot more hardware units now that the PS3 is pirate friendly.

And based on all the whiners asking for xmbc they should see a few more sales there too.

I will sleep at lot easier knowing that all Sony's draconian security bullshit has been busted wide open. It was never right that they gave us a system with so many restrictions. I want my region free ps2 backwards compatibility because I own so many Japanese RPGs.

Wait, I've only just installed 3.55... You mean there's another update I need to do. What is this bullshit Sony, firmware updates every week now. That is cool.
Don't be a freaking jackass and ruin it for those of us who have no interest of cheating online.

Nick Laslett said:
Sony must be secretly pleased, they'll shift a lot more hardware units now that the PS3 is pirate friendly.

And based on all the whiners asking for xmbc they should see a few more sales there too.

I will sleep at lot easier knowing that all Sony's draconian security bullshit has been busted wide open. It was never right that they gave us a system with so many restrictions. I want my region free ps2 backwards compatibility because I own so many Japanese RPGs.

Wait, I've only just installed 3.55... You mean there's another update I need to do. What is this bullshit Sony, firmware updates every week now. That is cool.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Nick Laslett said:

Hopefully they can ban from PSN for things like that. I just want to be able to download the DLC and such I've purchased and I'm golden.

LovingSteam said:
Don't be a freaking jackass and ruin it for those of us who have no interest of cheating online.
It's the few that ruin it for the many. This is why I like to keep hacking out of closed systems. It's not that I'm afraid someone will make homebrew (which I love) it's it makes things so easy to exploit, piracy, and hacking... it's people like that guy that ruin it.

"This is why we can't have nice things!"

Shaneus

I still have no idea how this works. It enables downgrades, but how? Do you put the stick in after boot, not worry about pushing eject on powerup and it enables some kind of dev mode to downgrade?

Sure, "master key" sounds awesome but I have no idea how it affects us plebs who are just interested in homebrew :lol

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Nick Laslett said:

YAH TOTALLY WICKED MAN FUCK YAH LETS PWN SOME NOOBZ AND YOUTUBE IT SO PEOPLE CAN SEE OUR WICKED RAD CHEATS!

Nick Laslett said:

Wicked.

Seriously, you've been a member here since 2004 and you make a post like that?

lethial said:
Well 3.5 closes the one of the holes I believe so they cannot be downgraded.

If this is the master key for the PS3 and not for a firmware then there really isn't anything Sony can do for current hardware.

Nick Laslett said:

and people wonder why we can't have nice things :lol

linkboy

Not that current on encryption, what does the Master key do?

Will it allow for the installation of a custom firmware?

Top Bottom