• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Euro launch hint, march firmware update, ID reservations this weekend or next

Angelcurio

Threespeech just had an event with Phil Harrisson on December 12th, ps3forums has a summarization of the news from the event:

INFO GATHERED FROM LONDON'S www.threespeech.com event with Phil Harrisson (December 12th 2006)

Playstation 3 european launch within the first 2 weeks of March 2007, as explained to me, Sony's financial year ends on the 3rd week of March and therefore they want to launch before the next finanacial year begins. Judging that UK consoles always release on a friday expect the european launch on either the 2nd or 9th of March. Though a strong hint was that they are hoping to drop the playstation 3 on the 3rd day of the 3rd month (march 3rd).

On the same day as playstation 3's euro launch SCE are to distribute there march firmware update with features including:

multi-tasking (included will be audio/video conferencing while browsing the xmb and its features/ gameplay).
new xmb display options
new animations for audio playback.
new photo album options.
playstation store auto ressume
psp remote play advanced access option (so that you can have access to your ps3's content anywhere that has a internet connection)

Firmware will be constantly updated, with the view of a tv tuner and tivo like service to be available in the 3rd quater of 2007.

Also it is hoped that the same week as the euopean launch of the system will also see the worldwide launch of the ps3's HDip Camera (specifications to be announced at a later date). In terms of other accessories, Sony dont see it as a necesity to manufacture playstation branded headsets, keyboards or mice, as put to me by Jonathun of SCE's threespeech.com 'Third party companies can offer these accessories to the consumer at a price which SCE could not compete'.

A extension to the Sony online store will also make its debut in march. Titled 'Sing Store', PS3 owners will be able to purchase songs for there 'Sing Star' kareoke programme from a slew of artists and will also be given the option to view the songs purchased as music videos via the video playback option within the xmb.

In terms of the european online store, while still being extremley vague, a spokesman for SCE europe was able to explain that Sony would have no defense if they were to charge the european consumer more than in other regions as there are no extra costs on digital distribution as apposed to a product with packaging etc. So expect a $15.00 download to cost people in the UK around £6.50.

other notes-

PS3 will be sold at £425 or lower, meaning we could have it cheaper then the previousley stated price.
Dont expect to see 20GB models available in europe.
No VGA cables to be released.
No plans to make RSX available to Linux OS, due to security issues.

A service to reserve your playstation online id will be up and running this weekend or next.

Link: http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?p=899605#post899605

pcostabel

Gold Member
Playstation 3 european launch within the first 2 weeks of March 2007, as explained to me, Sony's financial year ends on the 3rd week of March and therefore they want to launch before the next finanacial year begins. Judging that UK consoles always release on a friday expect the european launch on either the 2nd or 9th of March. Though a strong hint was that they are hoping to drop the playstation 3 on the 3rd day of the 3rd month (march 3rd).

So much for the september 2007 rumors. Looks like the manufacturing problems have been solved.

On the same day as playstation 3's euro launch SCE are to distribute there march firmware update with features including:

multi-tasking (included will be audio/video conferencing while browsing the xmb and its features/ gameplay).
new xmb display options
new animations for audio playback.
new photo album options.
playstation store auto ressume
psp remote play advanced access option (so that you can have access to your ps3's content anywhere that has a internet connection)

Very cool, especially the multitasking part. with 64megs reserved for the OS, I expect a lot of features to be available while playing.

Firmware will be constantly updated, with the view of a tv tuner and tivo like service to be available in the 3rd quater of 2007.

Very interesting. I wonder how will the input work. USB isn't fast enough for HD video.

Also it is hoped that the same week as the euopean launch of the system will also see the worldwide launch of the ps3's HDip Camera (specifications to be announced at a later date).

Let's hope it has the infrared depth sensor. That would kick all sort of ass.

WTF? They let you access the GS on the PS2. This sucks.

Stench

Banned
NOTHING BUT POSITIVE MOMENTUM FROM THIS POINT ON, GUYS

THE GREAT MOTHERSHIP SONY, FORGING THE COMEBACK OF THE MILLENNIUM

antiloop

Yes, please!

Europe launch can't come fast enough now.

Edit:

"No plans to make RSX available to Linux OS, due to security issues."

://

hyp

so does this mean that 20GB PS3s that are connected to the net will be able to use the remote play feature? PS3-PSP connectivity is something i'm very interested in...

As expected. Even worse, this means that half of the system's RAM is off-limits. :(

I wonder how far into 1080p h.264 territory we can go with about 100MB of free RAM (after OS) and PPE/SPE.

antiloop

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I wonder how far into 1080p h.264 territory we can go with about 100MB of free RAM (after OS) and PPE/SPE.

An ultra-small Linux dist with minimum memory-footprint and SPE optimiziations are what we need.

Busty

Banned
Stench said:
NOTHING BUT POSITIVE MOMENTUM FROM THIS POINT ON, GUYS

I have to say that was alot more positive than I thought it would be.

Could it be that they've finally turned a corner? All they need now are those breath taking, killer apps (Heavenly Sword) and they're read to go.

And I thought that is was a good move on there part to be fair about the downloads in terms of pricing. I hate to say it, but Nintendo could learn an awful lot from this......

pcostabel

Gold Member
JB1981 said:
The 360 HD-DVD add-on seems to do an OK job using USB. *shrug*

Well, that's compressed video. I guess an HD tuner could pass the compressed stream to the PS3. Actually it would make sense.

Busty

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
I think this is hinting at an HDMI cable being included.

For £425 I'd expect a f*cking HDMI cable and a golf cart tour of the factory where they make the HDMI cables.

In saying that, I wouldn't be too surprised if they shaved as much as £50 or even £75 off the price of the PS3 before it launches seeing as they aren't shipping the 20 gig unit over here.

Busty

Banned

Are they implying that Sony will actually release a piece of hardware that will contain a TV tuner in it, or are they implying a firmware update that will allow your PS3 to 'Tivo' TV shows from a set box or aerial?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ChrisAllenFiz said:
Yeah, because its not like we`ve been down this road twice before and it turned out that Sony was the one blowing smoke is it?

We've been down this road with Sony AND with CVG(bs news stories) before.

DarienA said:
We've been down this road with Sony AND with CVG(bs news stories) before.

True. we`ll see.

40k a week shipped to japan would suggest there aren`t going to be many come March, lets hope europe is important enough to them

Wollan

If multi-tasking actually means in game messaging..etc, that would absolutely bring the service to a competitive level as there won't be any real advantages anymore for Live though a download queue for the store is the last point Sony needs to add.
No gamerscore is a positive.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
hyp said:
so does this mean that 20GB PS3s that are connected to the net will be able to use the remote play feature? PS3-PSP connectivity is something i'm very interested in...
Not necessarily - they can still limit it strictly based on the PS3 model, I'm sure.

mckmas8808 said:
So doesn't this thread get more replies?

Um, pardon me, but Assault Heroes come out today? Sony will still have Euro launch hints and firmware update details when we're finished...

No, I'm kidding, but really, how often can you get how many people to say "We've been down this road before, I'll believe it when I see it." Maybe if Sony was distributing this firmware update on Nintendo DS, then you'd have yourself a blockbuster of a thread, my friend.

As it stands, though, the surest way to ensure a lack of replies is to solicit them.

Oh, wait. Damn. YOU TRICKED ME.

Busty

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
So doesn't this thread get more replies?

Because it's positive. There's more fun to be had in doom mongering.

ChrisAllenFiz said:
True. we`ll see.

40k a week shipped to japan would suggest there aren`t going to be many come March, lets hope europe is important enough to them

Have Sony ever given a figure for just how many PS3's they can make in a month when all their factories are running at one hundred percent?

Klocker

hey Europe, so what are you lookin' at over there? a Wii an X360?

well wait!! look over here >>>> we will have the Mother of all Firmware updates and more stuff in the box for cheaper in just a few months!!

:D well for EU's sake I hope it's true, but really what else would they say. ;)

Raistlin

Even with the lack of direct RSX access ... I wonder if an OpenGL driver is still a possibility.

That would be more than enough IMO.

SleazyC

Onix said:
Even with the lack of direct RSX access ... I wonder if an OpenGL driver is still a possibility.

That would be more than enough IMO.
I'm hoping that at least one of the SPE's could be optimized to give some sort of software emulation at the rudimentary level. My only complaint at the moment was the fact that with no acceleration I had to force mplayer to full-screen videos and h.264 encodes were unwatchable. You had frames dropping left and right. I found with xvid encodes and the such forcing full-screen worked fine as long as you dropped it down to a bilinear filtering (I think that was it, been a while since I actually booted into Linux). If we can get some type of basic emulation of acceleration then I am hoping that that SPE can take care of that and allow for smoother playback of h.264 files full-screen'd

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Chittagong said:
Bad news about Sony >>>>>>>>>>>> poop >>>> Good news about Sony
Pretty much summed it up.

This update sounds pretty damn good. March should be very interesting. :D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
At the rate they've been distributing firmware updates so far, it leaves you to wonder what's changing between now and March if these things are being reserved for the March update. Or maybe the firmware updates are going to slow down in the meantime.

pcostabel said:
Very interesting. I wonder how will the input work. USB isn't fast enough for HD video.

As mentioned already, 480Mb/s of USB 2.0 is plenty fast for even the maximum BR spec bitrate (50Mb/s IIRC).

Blame!

Dahbomb said:
That is all good news but Sony needs to address the rampant scaling issues. For god sakes get that fixed ASAP.

didnt you read the disclaimer or press release before you bought the ps3?

oh wait.....:lol

With how fast people went apeshit to rip bluray movies and the PS3 games in linux and show it off do you honestly expect Sony go give the main part of the key needed to make rips playable in linux?

pheew

Banned
TTP said:
The GS was Sony tech. This is Nvidia. Maybe the latter is against that.

or maybe it's because rsx was bumped down to a geforce 6-type gpu...

why else would sony be so hush hush about it?

Elios83

pheew said:
or maybe it's because rsx was bumped down to a geforce 6-type gpu...

why else would sony be so hush hush about it?

Even a Geforce2 now that you make me think about it :lol :lol :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Elios83 said:
Even a Geforce2 now that you make me think about it :lol :lol :lol
The longer they're hush hush about it, the more the RSX is getting downgraded. I think that's actually what all the firmware updates are for.

Top Bottom