• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Euro launch hint, march firmware update, ID reservations this weekend or next

antiloop

Maybe they could disable one SPE or two in Linux and make RSX available.

That way no one could run games in Linux even if we had access to RSX.

Should be equally secure? Maybe not for arcade games and other titles using only 1 or 2 SPE:s..

I guess we wont see RSX support before hackers get around the hypervisor.

Feindflug

Overall the PAL launch sounds pretty good but the lack of 20gb consoles at launch and the 630E price aren't the best. :/

Forsete

Gold Member
kaching said:
The longer they're hush hush about it, the more the RSX is getting downgraded. I think that's actually what all the firmware updates are for.

Hmm.. Confirmed. Kuntakto will bite this one.

Blame!

Feindflug said:
Overall the PAL launch sounds pretty good but the lack of 20gb consoles at launch and the 630E price aren't the best. :/

i predict ps3 will still be sold out everywhere for months.....if sony can put 300k units on the shelvces on march 3rd, they will sell that many units on day 1, guaranteed.

this is playstation brand we're talking about in europe folks :lol dont kid yourselves with the fud.

Wollan

Pickup ratio for MotorStorm on launch day in Europe will be at least 40%. At least. I expect it to sell better than Resistance over here.

Blame!

Wollan said:
Pickup ratio for MotorStorm on launch day in Europe will be at least 40%. At least. I expect it to sell the better than Resistance over here.

u should bet your account on this. :lol

bill0527

Dante said:
Wow, The tivo function sounds pretty cool.

Yes I'm very interested in how this is going to work.

Currently, I use my Media Center PC as my TIVO and set up my recordings and watch my shows back through my wireless network on my Xbox 360 hooked up to my home theater. I love the feature and everyone in my family uses it because its so easy to use with the Xbox 360 remote. Setting it all up was a bitch, but using it is something my 2 year old can almost do herself. I'd say 90% of the Xbox 360 usage in my house is done with this function alone.

As mentioned, you'll probably have to buy an external USB TV Tuner and those aren't cheap. Plus I'm curious to see how its going to work - will you have to always leave the power on to your PS3 for it to record ? I don't have a Tivo, so I don't know how that box handles it. I always leave my PC on, so I've never seen how it handles a recording if its turned off. I know it'll record if my PC is in standby mode.

theBishop

Banned
too bad about RSX in linux, but if they get everything else in that March update looks like gravvy.

Multitasking FTW!
Remote PSP Play FTW!

Shogmaster said:
I'm pretty sure he's kidding. I think...
I can never tell anymore, there are like two people who have shown up on the Ninja Theory message board, the Official PS3 forums, and various other ones ranting over and over on how they demand that sony gives the exact specs of the RSX and that it has been downgraded and that is why they wont tell.
They change their names over and over and keep coming back with the same thing.

Doctor_No

Firmware will be constantly updated, with the view of a tv tuner and tivo like service to be available in the 3rd quater of 2007.

psp remote play advanced access option (so that you can have access to your ps3's content anywhere that has a internet connection)

The combination of these two features will be killer; kinda like Location Free + PSX, you would be able to have your live TV shows be recorded at home and be able to watch it anywhere/anytime via WiFi on your PSP.

Rocked

this is playstation brand we're talking about in europe folks :lol

People said the same thing about PSP. Yes, I know handhelds are different, but that's everyone was saying. I'm not convinced they'll have much luck selling a £500 games console in March, especially as a huge number of Playstation fans are chavs who aren't gonna spend that much. It would've been hard enough at Christmas.

J-Rzez

Blame! said:
i predict ps3 will still be sold out everywhere for months.....if sony can put 300k units on the shelvces on march 3rd, they will sell that many units on day 1, guaranteed.

this is playstation brand we're talking about in europe folks :lol dont kid yourselves with the fud.

But wait... People that live in the US and post here say that nobody cares about the playstation in EU anymore... I'm so confused... :)

garrickk

pcostabel said:
Very interesting. I wonder how will the input work. USB isn't fast enough for HD video.
I'm a computer hardware engineer and work for a company that develops USB 2.0 connected FPGA hardware. We can reliably stream 40MB (that's MegaBytes) continuously over USB 2.0 in either direction (obviously, not duplexed). That's PLENTY for HD video that's been compressed at all.

Expect to see cheap HD TV encoders -> AVC/MPEG4 via USB 2.0 within the next two years. They'll probably average ~20MB a second and look pretty good.

Considering nVidia's Linux drivers aren't open-source, I imagined PS3 getting ****ed just as much when it comes to Linux functionality. Hopefully, software implementation can pick up some of the slack.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Finally we can reserve a name or two. I'm not going to get too excited about anything else though because they will just delay it again to smite me.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
pcostabel said:
WTF? They let you access the GS on the PS2. This sucks.
PS2 wasn't exactly a machine that ever worried about security though.

Moreover, GS is a secure chip by itself (no ability to access external memory on its own), while RSX is pretty damn unsecure with ability to adress the whole system memory including local stores.

pheew said:
why else would sony be so hush hush about it?
There's more info out there about RSX then there is about some PSP internals, and noone made conspiracy theories about the latter.
And it's not like more public info about GS ever stopped idiots from making up fantasy stories about what it could and couldn't do.

antiloop said:
I guess we wont see RSX support before hackers get around the hypervisor.
Using RSX for Linux OS functionality will require drivers, not hacking. And no, those drivers aren't sitting in the protected areas of PS3, they simply don't exist, so the best you can hope from hackers is PC card drivers hacked to work with RSX, which even if it eventually works, isn't exactly hopeful for stability or reliability.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Firmware will be constantly updated, with the view of a tv tuner and tivo like service to be available in the 3rd quater of 2007.
Interesting...

Very nice features added. Looks like they just werent ready with the firmware in November. Now it looks like it's shaping up to be everything I hoped it would be and maybe more.

RSX news sucked, hoped they find some way to be able to give access.

theBishop

Banned
Fafalada said:
Using RSX for Linux OS functionality will require drivers, not hacking. And no, those drivers aren't sitting in the protected areas of PS3, they simply don't exist, so the best you can hope from hackers is PC card drivers hacked to work with RSX, which even if it eventually works, isn't exactly hopeful for stability or reliability.

I wouldn't count on getting the Nvidia binary drivers working. The Xbox1 has essentially a Geforce3 MX and there's no hardware acceleration for xbox linux.

Talk on IRC dev channels seems to be thinking about Cell software OpenGL.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:
If multi-tasking actually means in game messaging..etc, that would absolutely bring the service to a competitive level as there won't be any real advantages anymore for Live though a download queue for the store is the last point Sony needs to add.
No gamerscore is a positive.

Playing Lemmings has shown me how obsessively competitive I am, now I'm scared. T_T

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
BenjaminBirdie said:
As it stands, though, the surest way to ensure a lack of replies is to solicit them.

Oh, wait. Damn. YOU TRICKED ME.

HAHAHA!!!!!

Gotcha bitch.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
antiloop said:
Yes, please!

Europe launch can't come fast enough now.

Edit:

"No plans to make RSX available to Linux OS, due to security issues."

://

That does not mean "no 3D acceleration/Accelerated OpenGL for Linux OS ever"... the way the GS was available under Linux was... EVERYTHING down to the smallest control register and performance counter. I really do not think nVIDIA wants to allow any Programming Pete (imaginary name I just made up to categorize homebrew coders) to get down-to-the-metal-RSX information... yeah, even though it is G7x tech.

Plus anything Fafalada said... yes, even that girls there are pretty... wait he did not say that ? He must have thought that, so yeah that too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Shogmaster said:
As mentioned already, 480Mb/s of USB 2.0 is plenty fast for even the maximum BR spec bitrate (50Mb/s IIRC).

The USB for the 360 HDDVD drive is only handling transferring the compressed data to the 360. Uncompressed HD video would be way more than 480Mb/s that USB could handle, so i'm assuming they are compressing it in some way

Top Bottom