• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 1.6 Thread. (Out now, updated feature list in first post)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Midas said:
How good is this "background downloading"? Can you download while playing games?
I already described how BG downloading will work earlier in the thread. Nobody cared though. :/

Bad_Boy said:
Oni Jazar said:
* Background Downloading (exact details of this are not confirmed)
Details:
You download something, you can go back to the xmb and do whatever. When you start a game (and I think dvd/blu-ray movies too, not sure) the download stops. The download resumes when you go back into the xmb.

It's not perfect (meaning downloading while in-game), but it's a shit load better than what we have now.

painey

isnt folding@home on ps3 a 200meg download or am i mixing it up with something else? If it is i hope it isnt mandatory

Bad_Boy said:
I already described how BG downloading will work earlier in the thread. Nobody cared though. :/

Well, I think people will care. In fact, the day it comes out, they`ll probably be a 10 page thread moaning about it!

Doesn`t look good for other in-game functions (messaging etc) if they can`t even spare the CPU cycles to download something, although maybe its the fact that they can`t detect when you go online multiplayer to turn the download off.

GameGamer

painey said:
isnt folding@home on ps3 a 200meg download or am i mixing it up with something else? If it is i hope it isnt mandatory

The Windows download is only 372KB.

I can't imagine the PS3 version is drastically different.

Midas

Bad_Boy said:

Thanks.

Not 100 percent background downloading then, but it's better than nothing. Altough I do assume that people want background downloading becuase they want to be able to play games while waiting for the download to be completed.

teiresias

The Innocent X said:
Well, I think people will care. In fact, the day it comes out, they`ll probably be a 10 page thread moaning about it!

Doesn`t look good for other in-game functions (messaging etc) if they can`t even spare the CPU cycles to download something.

Pretty much every other in-game function people are clamoring for requires use of the internet connection, and when you're connected to Xbox Live the 360 pauses background downloads as well, so I really don't see how this is an issue.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Y2Kevbug11 said:
If those are the only updates, I'm going to hit bud with a baseball bat.
Theres gotta be more. I remember when they fixed BC IQ problems in 1.5 firmware, they didn't even acknowledge that they fixed it in the firmware update log, it was just... sneaky. "Can't fix something that isnt broken" they say...

The Innocent X said:

Doesn`t look good for other in-game functions (messaging etc) if they can`t even spare the CPU cycles to download something.
IIRC they added in-game friends list in the 1.6 firmware SDK so I would assume games will start to use it. It's odd to explain because I don't think it can just be pulled up in any game, it has to be supported by the game. The explanation is on innerbits blog.

Jonnyram

Wollan said:
It's the same info. I'm sure no one will say that the patch is insignificant because it has some meaty stuff in there but it was a patch that had certain expectations beforehand.
wollan [wol-uhn]
vt
- to raise expectations of an upcoming Sony product to levels far exceeding their actual potential.
There he goes again, wollaning the latest firmware update

vti informal
- to become a victim of an over-sensationalised piece of good news regarding Sony.
Looks like we got wollaned again chaps

Midas

Jonnyram said:
wollan [wol-uhn]
vt
- to raise expectations of an upcoming Sony product to levels far exceeding their actual potential.
There he goes again, wollaning the latest firmware update

vti informal
- to become a victim of an over-sensationalised piece of good news regarding Sony.
Looks like we got wollaned again chaps

Good one. :lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
TTP said:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070319/ps3.htm

ps301.jpg

JAPANESE READERS, What the **** does this thing say!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I can't read that sh!t.

teiresias said:
Pretty much every other in-game function people are clamoring for requires use of the internet connection, and when you're connected to Xbox Live the 360 pauses background downloads as well, so I really don't see how this is an issue.

I'm just wondering. Live is much more integrated in that sense, so it knows when a multiplayer game is about to start. With the PS3 mulitplayer approaches being more varied, I`m wondering if there is no "I'm online using the connection" flag that games set, and so the PS3 doesn`t know when to pause the download.

I do think that not dedicating enough resources to system functions while in game is going to keep coming back to haunt both MS and Sony in this gen, it's such a useful feature, and yet it looks like both companies are straining at the limits that they have allocated already.

gamesfront.de had something up about the PS3 firmware update (a date for japan i think) but my german isn't too hot.

i'm hoping for a download queue... hopefully that won't be hoping for too much.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
plagiarize said:
imagine how funny it'd be if all along they just meant 'wallpapers' when they said they were adding 'background downloading'.
That wouldnt be that funny at all. ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The pic also states that you can check the status of your downloads via the "Network -> Download Management" option.

mckmas8808

The Innocent X said:
I'm just wondering. Live is much more integrated in that sense, so it knows when a multiplayer game is about to start. With the PS3 mulitplayer approaches being more varied, I`m wondering if there is no "I'm online using the connection" flag that games set, and so the PS3 doesn`t know when to pause the download.

I do think that not dedicating enough resources to system functions while in game is going to keep coming back to haunt both MS and Sony in this gen, it's such a useful feature, and yet it looks like both companies are straining at the limits that they have allocated already.

Sony set aside more than enough resources they just aren't as smart as MS to activate it. And MS are super smart, but have less resources set aside.

mckmas8808

dark10x said:
The pic also states that you can check the status of your downloads via the "Network -> Download Management" option.

Thank you dark10x (the japanese reader). So what does that mean? You can see the remaining % of your current download?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
AndriaSang said:
The Sony page says that the PSP has to be connected to a wireless router within your home in order to access the PS3. I presume you have to be on the same network still.
They could be referring to the initial setup, to pair the PSP with the PS3.

No date yet? Argh. This Thursday would be great since the new Spider-man 3 trailer is hitting at the end of the week, that'd be a nice HD surprise to go along with the firmware, now wouldn't it Sony?

gamefront.de said:
Japan: Firmware Version 1.60 erscheint am 22.03.07

19.03.07 - Sony gibt bekannt, dass die Firmware Version 1.60 am 22.03.07 in Japan veröffentlicht wird.

Zu den Neuerungen gehören eine Anbindung an das 'Folding@Home'-Projekt, verbesserte Funktionen des Internet-Browsers, der Zugriff mit PSP auf PS3 über einen Hotspot, die Anzeige einer kompletten Tastatur bei Texteingaben, das Herunterladen von Daten im Hintergrund, uvm.

In Europa wird das Firmware Update am 23.03.07 veröffentlicht.
german anyone?

glaurung

plagiarize said:
german anyone?

Japan: 1.60 Firmware will be released on 22.03.07

Among the new features are: Folding@home, enhanced functionality of the web browser, PSP to PS3 access over a hotspot, a full-screen keyboard for text input (this sounds wrong), background downloading and so on.

Hope this helps.

Oni Jazar

I guess this confirms that there won't be XMB access during gameplay.

F-ing Sony. If they would just fix this it would go a long way to competing with XBL.

Also probably no custom backgrounds which is really baffling. It would have been a greay way to personalize your system.

Jonnyram & Bad_boy I updated the original post with your info.

Midas

glaurung said:
Japan: 1.60 Firmware will be released on 22.03.07

Among the new features are: Folding@home, enhanced functionality of the web browser, PSP to PS3 access over a hotspot, a full-screen keyboard for text input (this sounds wrong), background downloading and so on.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it sounds wrong.

Jonnyram wrote it this way;

Full-size on-screen keyboard

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Oni Jazar said:
Considering that official changelog that Jonnyram just linked to doesn't even mention the new software emu for for PS1/PS2 games, this doesn't appear to be a complete list of what to expect. Not that I'd necessarily hold my breath for XMB access during gameplay.

arcader

Banned
hah - now that I know what folding@home is - im excited for in order...

- multitasking allowing XMB PSN features to integrate into any game (PSone, PS2 and PS3)

- Folding@home

- all that other BS

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Oni Jazar said:

F-ing Sony. If they would just fix this it would go a long way to competing with XBL.

Also probably no custom backgrounds which is really baffling. It would have been a greay way to personalize your system.

Jonnyram & Bad_boy I updated the original post with your info.
Yeah it's an on going problem they really need to fix.

The Jer

Tony Hawk's Project 8 literally freezes for about three seconds when someone logs on/off and the message pops up. I can't imagine what it would do if they attempted to introduce other XMB features.

I think the inclusion of other XMB features in existing games is unrealistic.

teiresias

The Jer said:
Tony Hawk's Project 8 literally freezes for about three seconds when someone logs on/off and the message pops up. I can't imagine what it would do if they attempted to introduce other XMB features.

I think the inclusion of other XMB features in existing games is unrealistic.

I've had XMB messages pop-up in Resistance with no kind of performance penalty.

The Jer

teiresias said:
I've had XMB messages pop-up in Resistance with no kind of performance penalty.

Project 8 was the only game I've had the problem with. But, its a whole 3 seconds of freeze. The point being that I don't think all games have been created with enough of a "cushion" to allow for further feature implementation.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
brandonh83 said:
Must've missed the memo as usual. I just assumed if there was a date it would be in the OP. Thanks.
Actually, I stand corrected. It's the 22nd for JP/NA and the 23rd for EU. Sorry about that. I thought it was the 23rd for everyone.

Jonnyram

kaching said:
Considering that official changelog that Jonnyram just linked to doesn't even mention the new software emu for for PS1/PS2 games, this doesn't appear to be a complete list of what to expect. Not that I'd necessarily hold my breath for XMB access during gameplay.
Didn't Harrison say that the new BC will not run on the first gen machines? If so why would they mention it in the Japan list? The new BC is only going to be running on the PAL machines, until they move all machines over to a software-only BC solution.

glaurung

Jonnyram said:
Didn't Harrison say that the new BC will not run on the first gen machines? If so why would they mention it in the Japan list? The new BC is only going to be running on the PAL machines, until they move all machines over to a software-only BC solution.

Rolling out updates that would differentiate between hardware revisions would only create new problems, not solve them. I cannot reason the idea that some users get software emulated BC and the others get the full-blown EE physical crunch.

It remains to be seen, but it would make more sense to move the entire BC to software at once. Meaning that the EE chip on the first-generation hardware units would simply be switched off.

Three more days for the update to hit the machines.

I am sad that I cannot afford the machine right now.

mckmas8808

Midas said:
Yes, it sounds wrong.

Jonnyram wrote it this way;

Full-size on-screen keyboard

So what exactly does full-size on screen keyboard mean? We aren't going to have to deal with that bullsh!t keyboard box if we have a keyboard plugged in?

glaurung

mckmas8808 said:
So what exactly does full-size on screen keyboard mean? We aren't going to have to deal with that bullsh!t keyboard box if we have a keyboard plugged in?

I think it means that instead of the PSP-like keyboard that looked a lot like a cell phone's keypad (multiple letters under each button) you now get a full-blown QWERTY keyboard layout on the screen. Takes less getting used to, I reckon.

mckmas8808

glaurung said:
I think it means that instead of the PSP-like keyboard that looked a lot like a cell phone's keypad (multiple letters under each button) you now get a full-blown QWERTY keyboard layout on the screen. Takes less getting used to, I reckon.

But will I still have a limiting box that I have to type in? Or will it actually let me type in boxes on websites like IE and Firefox?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
glaurung said:

T9 ftw!

Top Bottom