• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 1.6 Thread. (Out now, updated feature list in first post)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
ant1532 said:
So what are you going to do with it though? Look at your pictures while downloading? Can you at least watch a movie while background downloading for now?

Get on GAF and read some news.

Oni Jazar

Updated with the lastest information from Threespeech.

I can't believe that Sony would just enable Remoteplay through the LAN. Phil Harrison himself said "hotspots" which would indicate WAN. We'll see soon for sure I guess.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Just got this:

FOSTER CITY, Calif., March 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment
America (SCEA) today announced that the next regular system software update
for the PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) computer entertainment system (version 1.60)
will be available March 22, delivering features such as Folding@home
connectivity, enhanced downloading of content from the PLAYSTATION(R)Store,
support for Bluetooth(R) keyboards and mice, and an optional full QWERTY
on-screen keyboard for text entry.
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020701/SFM066LOGO )

Folding@home
Beginning Thursday, PS3 users will be able to connect to Stanford
University's Folding@home program, a distributed computing project aimed at
understanding protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases, such as
Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and many cancers. Using the power of the Cell
Broadband Engine(TM), the PS3 system can perform computer simulations for the
Folding@home program 20-30 times faster than the average home PC. Once a PS3
system is updated to version 1.60, users can easily sign up to join the
Folding@home program by clicking on the associated logo on the XMB(TM)
(XrossMediaBar) under the Network icon. The user is then able to link to a
distributed network of PS3s, conducting simulations and sending them back to a
central computer at Stanford University for compilation and analysis.
Additional details about Folding@home are available at
http://www.scei.co.jp/folding/en/.

Enhanced Downloading
Firmware version 1.60 delivers a more convenient process for downloading
content to the PS3 from the PLAYSTATION Store. PS3 users will now be able to
queue up to six downloads at one time. Progress of downloads can be easily
tracked under a new Download Management menu under the XMB's Network icon. In
addition, content will be able to be downloaded in the background while using
some PS3 system features, such as accessing the XMB to display videos and
photos from the system's hard drive, playing music, and browsing the Web.
Please refer to http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates for full
information on this feature.

Text Entry and Web Browsing
Firmware 1.60 also will support keyboards and mice enabled with Bluetooth
wireless technology. Text entry is further expanded with the option to use a
full QWERTY on-screen keyboard, in addition to the existing single tap
keyboard. PS3 system's built-in Web browser will also be enhanced with the
ability to zoom in to the optimal viewing size for the selected area of a Web
page at the press of a button, as well as an optional tool for reducing
flicker when the PS3 system is using interlaced video out (480i or 1080i).

Other Feature Upgrades

* Remote Play -- This feature, enabling you to access photos, videos, and
music on your PS3 system's hard drive from a nearby
PSP(R)(PlayStation(R)Portable) system, will be available for the 20GB
configuration, when utilizing an external Wi-Fi router or local wireless
access point.
* Disc Auto-Start -- This new option under System Settings allows you to
choose whether or not a disc should start automatically upon inserting
the disc or turning on your PS3 system.
* Blu-ray Disc Rewriteable (BD-RE) -- PS3 system can now playback BD-RE
discs (version 3.0).

"PS3 is constantly evolving with new features that keep the system at the
cutting edge, thus unlocking its full potential," said Peter Dille, senior
vice president of marketing, SCEA. "This upcoming firmware update not only
delivers capabilities that gamers are asking for, such as enhanced
downloading, it also enables us to tap into the PS3 community for the
Folding@home project, leveraging the power of PS3's technology and the
ever-expanding reach of our user base to help researchers find cures for
diseases."
To install the latest system software on your PS3 system, you can select
the System Update feature when your system is hooked up the Internet; use a PC
to download the update data and transfer it to the PS3 system through storage
media or a USB mass storage device; or install it using update data included
on an upcoming game disc. Further details are available at
http://www.us.playstation.com .

Goldrusher

snack said:
This thread really needs a recap post of all of what we know.

- improved BC (PAL-only ?)
- Folding@home connectivity
- background downloading of content from the PLAYSTATION®Store
- supprt for Bluetooth® keyboards and mice
- optional full QWERTY on-screen keyboard for text entry
- more zoom options in web browser
- tool for reducing flicker in 480i/1080i
- Remote Play available for the 20GB, using an external Wi-Fi router or local wireless
access point
- disc auto-start can now be enabled/disabled
- Blu-ray Disc Rewriteable (BD-RE) v3.0 support added

Folding@home
The Folding@home project allows PS3 owners to connect to Stanford University’s Folding@home program, a distributed computing project aimed at understanding protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and many cancers. Using the power of the Cell Broadband Engine™, PS3 system can perform computer simulations for the Folding@home program ten times faster than your average home PC.
Once PS3 system is updated to version 1.60, users can easily sign up to join the Folding@home program by clicking on the appropriate logo on the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) under the Network icon. Then, when the PS3 system is left on and reaches idle mode, it will automatically begin a simulation and, once completed, send information back to a central computer(*1).
Additional details about Folding@home are available at http://www.scei.co.jp/folding/en/.

background downloading
Up to 6 pieces of content from the PlayStation store can be queued up for download while the user enjoys other functions of the PS3 system, including playing games, browsing the web, using media functions including photo browsing, video and music playback.
Progress of downloads can be easily tracked under a new Download Management menu under the XMB’s Network icon.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This bit seems to confirm the distinction between stuff being queued up while playing a game versus stuff being downloaded while playing a game:

In addition, content will be able to be downloaded in the background while using

Wollan

Practical.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I need to hear that they have improved the wireless adapter's firmware. I cannot keep running an ethernet cable down the middle of my living room to download stuff from PSN and expect my wife to not kill me in my sleep.

Oni Jazar

Ok I made a big update to the first post. The mods will need to change the topic title with regards to WAN because it looks like only LAN support for now. Phil misinformation FTL.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Jonnyram said:
No... you can currently only connect directly to the 60GB PS3. This will allow both 20GB and 60GB models to be connected to via the local wireless network. I think they'll eventually allow remote connections from any access point in the world, but it doesn't look like that's included in this update.
gah, that seems pointless other than giving me 10 feet of more range. :/

jonabbey

Jonnyram said:
No... you can currently only connect directly to the 60GB PS3. This will allow both 20GB and 60GB models to be connected to via the local wireless network. I think they'll eventually allow remote connections from any access point in the world, but it doesn't look like that's included in this update.

Unless Sony really goes out of their way to introduce limits, it's unlikely that there'll be a meaningful distinction between local and global hotspots. At worst, it'll be necessary to run a proxy server at a remote hotspot in order to trick the PS3 and PSP into thinking they're on a reasonably local net.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ok so refresh my memory, I know you can queue items on the 360 to download because I've done that, but I can't remember it downloads are suspended on the 360 when you gaming... I'm thinking that stuff still downloads in the background on the 360 while you are gaming, but I honestly can't remember.

Feature that needs to be added: Home Network Connectivity/Awareness.

Come on Sony allow me to access my pics, music and such that are stored in various shared folders on my home network via my PS3!

DarienA said:
Ok so refresh my memory, I know you can queue items on the 360 to download because I've done that, but I can't remember it downloads are suspended on the 360 when you gaming... I'm thinking that stuff still downloads in the background on the 360 while you are gaming, but I honestly can't remember.

You can play games offline while the downloads run. Crackdown is the only exception that I am aware of.

When you jump online (or play Crackdown), the downloads suspend and automatically resume once you quit.

I'd be happy if I could at least play less demanding stuff like PSN games while the downloads run.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jonabbey said:
Unless Sony really goes out of their way to introduce limits, it's unlikely that there'll be a meaningful distinction between local and global hotspots. At worst, it'll be necessary to run a proxy server at a remote hotspot in order to trick the PS3 and PSP into thinking they're on a reasonably local net.
I think the main problem would be that you have to actively turn on the PS3 to enable the feature right now - there's no Wake on LAN feature incorporated into the Remote Play functionality right now (I think).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
MickeyKnox said:
I smell trouble.

The trouble will be gone before you ever encounter it. besides, when have you ever read anyone bitching about being unable to watch home made Blu Ray movies on their PS3?

klee123

Ok, does the improved download features include resumable download. Unfortunately I'm on a 512K connection and every time I tri to dl the Genji 2 demo, the connection times out at 70%. It's really pissing me off.

klee123 said:
Ok, does the improved download features include resumable download. Unfortunately I'm on a 512K connection and every time I tri to dl the Genji 2 demo, the connection times out at 70%. It's really pissing me off.

Not as much as if you had managed to play the game. ;)

mckmas8808

klee123 said:

Yes it does. I'm loving this background downloading feature. I hate being tied down to the downloading screen.

klee123

Ploid 3.0 said:
It could be a sign ~.O (stay away from that demo, and Icon)

Seriously is it really that bad? Have you played the first game? I assume it's just Genji 1 with prettier graphics and from what I've seen of the trailers, a slightly different Kamui system.

klee123

mckmas8808 said:
Yes it does. I'm loving this background downloading feature. I hate being tied down to the downloading screen.

Nice, this way I can download 300mb at a time. For some reason after 2 hours, PSN just goes shit on me.

mckmas8808

klee123 said:
Nice, this way I can download 300mb at a time. For some reason after 2 hours, PSN just goes shit on me.

Yeah I'll be downloading stuff while I'm on GAF reading and typing.

The Jer

AlphaSnake said:
Folding@home

good

Enhanced Downloading
Firmware version 1.60 delivers a more convenient process for downloading
content to the PS3 from the PLAYSTATION Store. PS3 users will now be able to
queue up to six downloads at one time. Progress of downloads can be easily
tracked under a new Download Management menu under the XMB's Network icon. In
addition, content will be able to be downloaded in the background while using
Please refer to http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates for full
information on this feature.

very nice

very, very nice.

Text Entry and Web Browsing
Firmware 1.60 also will support keyboards and mice enabled with Bluetooth
wireless technology.

Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Good.

Finally, It's about time. But, at this point I have multiple profiles on my PS3, so I don't know if I'll really need it anymore. But it would have been nice when I was the only one using my PS3.

JB1981

Man, no background downloading while playing single player games sucks. I don't really do anything while in the XMB anyway, so I don't think this feature amounts to much.

Zoe

I wonder if background downloading counts as being idle. I wouldn't want Folding@Home inadvertently starting (using the idle option) and interrupting my download.

The Jer

JB1981 said:
Man, no background downloading while playing single player games sucks. I don't really do anything while in the XMB anyway, so I don't think this feature amounts to much.

I can watch new videos from the PS store while I wait for videos/games/demos to download. Of course, I could have everything I want downloading at the same time now, anyways. But, that's even better. Plus, I like the option to mess around with something, rather than just staring at a download screen. For me, downloads don't typically take long enough for me to start a game anyways. But, I'd have time to watch a trailer or something.

I geuss it really depends how long your downloads take.

thmst30

spwolf said:
I cant wait to find cure for cancer... what happens if your PS3 find it? We get free something? :).

One console alone wouldn't find the cure. It would be a mixture of ALL the information they get from it, but if by some amazingly small chance this does help cure some diseases, then it will be a pretty cool feeling knowing that you actually helped a tiny bit.

KTallguy

Banned
JB1981 said:

I like it because I listen to music a lot with my PS3 now.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JB1981 said:
It's a good thing that you can just queue them up and leave the console running, especially for those people who for whatever reason have slow downloads. So far you had to sit there and babysit downloads one by one.

thmst30 said:
One console alone wouldn't find the cure. It would be a mixture of ALL the information they get from it, but if by some amazingly small chance this does help cure some diseases, then it will be a pretty cool feeling knowing that you actually helped a tiny bit.

its a nice thing to have. What really disappoints me is people who call it useless crap to have. its optional, and its helping a good cause.

Emowii

Banned
I can't believe how weak this update really is. No downloading while I play a game offline? Weaksauce!

I don't know how anyone cannot feel the same way. We're now six months out from launch, this is the type of stuff that should be fixed by now, and this new update is more like a small band-aid.

chriskzoo

Banned
Emowii said:
I can't believe how weak this update really is. No downloading while I play a game offline? Weaksauce!

I don't know how anyone cannot feel the same way. We're now six months out from launch, this is the type of stuff that should be fixed by now, and this new update is more like a small band-aid.

Update from IGN:

March 20, 2007 - Yesterday we brought you news from Japan of what functionality the upcoming 1.60 firmware update would add to the PlayStation 3, but today's US press release shed light on a few more details. In addition to Remote Play support for 20GB models, an on-screen QWERTY keyboard and a zoom function for the web browser, the ability to run Folding@Home and basic background downloading, there will be a handful of other features included.

A disc auto-start option will allow users to choose whether they want their PS3 to automatically play a disc when it's inserted or the machine is turned on. Support for rewriteable Blu-ray discs has been added, as well as the ability to use Bluetooth keyboards and mice.

Most of all though, the US press release shed more details on the all-important background downloading feature for the PlayStation Store. Users will be able to queue up to six downloads at one time, which coincidentally matches the Xbox 360's maximum queue. Progress of these downloads can be followed under a new Download Management section that will reside under the Cross Media Bar's Network icon. You will be able to watch video, view images, listen to music and browse the web at the same time.

UPDATE: We've received word from Sony that you will indeed be able to play games while downloading content in the background. Similar to how downloads on the Xbox 360 works, you'll be able to play games offline while downloads work in the background, and if you hop online your queue will simply pause until you disconnect.

The update is set for release on this coming Thursday, March 22nd.

I was expecting the March update to be much bigger than it sounds like it is. I just remember hearing months ago how awesome it would be. I don't know. I am glad they are fixing things, but it seems like a tiny update.

Ryu1999

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I was expecting the March update to be much bigger than it sounds like it is. I just remember hearing months ago how awesome it would be. I don't know. I am glad they are fixing things, but it seems like a tiny update.

I dunno, people have been bitching about background downloading since launch

chriskzoo

Banned
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

It's a point update - why would it be HUGE? That being said, they are cleaning up pretty much all of the nagging issues people have griped about, adding in Folding at Home (hey, why not put those extra cycles to use), etc.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
_leech_ said:

Don't get excited yet. IGN also said Warhawk wouldn't be on Blu-Ray. And then Sony said it was. And then ThreeSpeech ran a story saying it was. Etc etc etc. Just wait until it hits.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm actually really upset about this update. I was banking on in-game XMB and I'm not even sure that'll ever happen now with the direction Sony is going with home. Do we have custom backgrounds confirmed or is that a PSP exclusive feature? Bring such amazing features to the pstriple please.

Top Bottom