• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 1.6 Thread. (Out now, updated feature list in first post)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I was expecting the March update to be much bigger than it sounds like it is. I just remember hearing months ago how awesome it would be. I don't know. I am glad they are fixing things, but it seems like a tiny update.

I actually think the opposite these are some pretty big feature additions to be include in a . upgrade.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I hope that news is true. Would be nice, even if unmanageable from games (No XMB there and all).

Just a few more days. Maybe I'll finally DL a few more trailers now. :D

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
DarienA said:
I actually think the opposite these are some pretty big feature additions to be include in a . upgrade.
I disagree. Like others i remember IGN showing XMB in game over Dark Kingdom. I dont care what they call the dot upgrade 2.0, 1.6, i dont care, they have been saying this is a "major firmware upgrade." So will HOME be 1.8? 2.0? 3.0?

Sure i will use folding@home, because thats a lot of clock cycles and processing power to help out with. But that doesnt affect actual gaming on the console at all.

And the only other of note thing is background downloading. But it doesnt work while playing even an offline game? Come on. Does it work while watching a DVD or Blu-ray? My guess would be no, since you get signed out whenever you watch a movie or ps2 games.

Also i will change the autoload feature, so that when i put a disc in it loads automatically, i hope they included the option not to boot to the disc as well, but from the wording it seems they havnt.

What about mandatory unified friends lists? Cross game invites, in game messages(again XMB access during gameplay) i mean if they are seemingly going to do two firmware updates a year, is any of this even going to get implemented before Home launches? Is it even going to get implemented at all?

Dont get my wrong i love my PS3, but the things i listed are just minor announces about the firmware, that IMO wouldnt take that long to implement, but apparently im wrong.

Raistlin

AlphaSnake said:
Just got this:

Text Entry and Web Browsing
Firmware 1.60 also will support keyboards and mice enabled with Bluetooth
wireless technology. Text entry is further expanded with the option to use a
full QWERTY on-screen keyboard, in addition to the existing single tap
keyboard. PS3 system's built-in Web browser will also be enhanced with the
ability to zoom in to the optimal viewing size for the selected area of a Web
page at the press of a button
, as well as an optional tool for reducing
flicker when the PS3 system is using interlaced video out (480i or 1080i).

Does this mean NeoGaf (and other forums, not that there are any LOL) will actually be usable on a HDTV!?!?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
captive said:
hope they included the option not to boot to the disc as well, but from the wording it seems they havnt.
From the press release, that's included (and I'm happy that it's there)

"This new option under System Settings allows you to
choose whether or not a disc should start automatically upon inserting
the disc or turning on your PS3 system."

The Jer

Ryu1999 said:
We won't know until we get it since...Sony has a "there is no spoon" approach to major bugs

exactly. They report "changes" not "fixes"

We don't really find out what's in the firmware until after its released.

That being said, I don't think we'll see anything beyond what is listed.

I release hope they fix the 720p output problem, though. I decided to save a few bucks and go when I purchased my new monitor and got a smaller 720p monitor, rather than a larger 1080p monitor. They also need to fix the the problem people have been having with the wi-fi.

captive

Marconelly said:
From the press release, that's included (and I'm happy that it's there)

"This new option under System Settings allows you to
choose whether or not a disc should start automatically upon inserting
the disc or turning on your PS3 system."
Thats exactly what i mean, i understand thats the option, but from the wording it sounds like there is no option to keep the PS3 from booting straight to a disc when you first turn it on. That is what i meant.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a couple of rapid-fire FW updates after the EU launch similar to what we saw shortly after the NA/JP launches.

captive

consoul said:
captive:

I would have thought that was pretty clear.
well damn sorry, i just skimmed the freaking thing.

I like how everyone is trying to correct that one minor thing i mentioned, while all the major parts of my complaint post goes ignored. :-\

ant1532

Banned
I really hope the IGN thing is true about being able to play games while background downloading

Also happy about the ability to start the XMB up when a game is loaded.

The Jer

kaching said:
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a couple of rapid-fire FW updates after the EU launch similar to what we saw shortly after the NA/JP launches.

And with the BC thing particularly.

DarienA

captive said:
I disagree. Like others i remember IGN showing XMB in game over Dark Kingdom. I dont care what they call the dot upgrade 2.0, 1.6, i dont care, they have been saying this is a "major firmware upgrade." So will HOME be 1.8? 2.0? 3.0?

Sure i will use folding@home, because thats a lot of clock cycles and processing power to help out with. But that doesnt affect actual gaming on the console at all.

And the only other of note thing is background downloading. But it doesnt work while playing even an offline game? Come on. Does it work while watching a DVD or Blu-ray? My guess would be no, since you get signed out whenever you watch a movie or ps2 games.

Also i will change the autoload feature, so that when i put a disc in it loads automatically, i hope they included the option not to boot to the disc as well, but from the wording it seems they havnt.

What about mandatory unified friends lists? Cross game invites, in game messages(again XMB access during gameplay) i mean if they are seemingly going to do two firmware updates a year, is any of this even going to get implemented before Home launches? Is it even going to get implemented at all?

Dont get my wrong i love my PS3, but the things i listed are just minor announces about the firmware, that IMO wouldnt take that long to implement, but apparently im wrong.

.... did you miss the IGN update that says you do get downloading while playing offline?

Things that would be very gratifying for me:

-PS1/PS2 backwards compatibility upgraded from 480p // upconversion to 720p/1080p supported
-DVD playback upgraded from 480p // upconversion to 720p/1080p
-Background downloading supported with up to multiple files at once
-Jump back into the XMB at anytime while in-game, listening to CD's, watching a movie, etc.
-Wallpaper support added, including ability to use own photos

captive

DarienA said:
.... did you miss the IGN update that says you do get downloading while playing offline?
Sorry, theres conflicting reports currently, plus IGN also said i would be playing GOW2 in 720p on my PS3.
If its true great, but IGN is the only place reporting it so...

JB1981

Cold-Steel said:

-PS1/PS2 backwards compatibility upgraded from 480p // upconversion to 720p/1080p supported
-Jump back into the XMB at anytime while in-game, listening to CD's, watching a movie, etc.

this is what i want.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
captive said:
That was a demonstration on a dev kit and it wasn't even a complete XMB.

This update represents a whopping .06 update from the last one. Even so, it is a major update from Sony's perspective, if for no other reason than because it includes the software emulation for PS1/PS2 games and all the effort that project entails.

spwolf

captive said:
Sorry, theres conflicting reports currently, plus IGN also said i would be playing GOW2 in 720p on my PS3.
If its true great, but IGN is the only place reporting it so...

ehm... use your brain a little... 720p for GOW2 got reported before we knew about possible UPSCALING of PS2 games... and then denied right away as mistake. IGN is using an debug console with latest updates.

Read that few times over. Get it now?

Oni Jazar

Cold-Steel said:

This is all I want as well.

captive

spwolf said:
ehm... use your brain a little... 720p for GOW2 got reported before we knew about possible UPSCALING of PS2 games... and then denied right away as mistake. IGN is using an debug console with latest updates.

Read that few times over. Get it now?
No i dont. So ****ing what, they still reported it and were WRONG, so no im not going to take one source's word that yes you can download and play offline games at the same time, when every other source says otherwise.
You act like im rooting against it happening, jesus ****ing christ, i want it, but im sorry if im not going to happily take one source as law and get my hopes up and then be pissed off later at myself and IGN because A) i believed them, and B) they were wrong, again.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Eeehh, nice features I guess. Some of them are surely necessary. But I'd much rather have some decent games to play and decent content to download as I play them. And a reason to actually link up the PSP and PS3.

Situation's unchanged, PS3 is still nothing but wasted potential... for now.

chriskzoo

Banned
captive said:
No i dont. So ****ing what, they still reported it and were WRONG, so no im not going to take one source's word that yes you can download and play offline games at the same time, when every other source says otherwise.
You act like im rooting against it happening, jesus ****ing christ, i want it, but im sorry if im not going to happily take one source as law and get my hopes up and then be pissed off later at myself and IGN because A) i believed them, and B) they were wrong, again.

My inclination is to believe it will be the case, since IGN posted their original story and then said that Sony was the one that confirmed after the fact about playing games offline while downloading happens in the background.

DarienA

captive said:

I'm curious what other sources are reporting that you definitely cannot download during gaming?

Every source I've seen is simply quoting the PR which doesn't SAY whether you can download during gaming, IGN's update has an additional piece where they claim to have spoken to Sony and had it specifically confirmed that you can game while downloading.

captive

chriskzoo said:
My inclination is to believe it will be the case, since IGN posted their original story and then said that Sony was the one that confirmed after the fact about playing games offline while downloading happens in the background.
Thats good for you, i hadnt seen that IGN update or the last half of the last page of this thread.

All im saying is what Alpha said
Don't get excited yet. IGN also said Warhawk wouldn't be on Blu-Ray. And then Sony said it was. And then ThreeSpeech ran a story saying it was. Etc etc etc. Just wait until it hits.

And it seems im not the only one that would like a little more out of this update, when Sony themselves have been saying it will be a "major" firmware update.

y2kev said:
I'm actually really upset about this update. I was banking on in-game XMB and I'm not even sure that'll ever happen now with the direction Sony is going with home. Do we have custom backgrounds confirmed or is that a PSP exclusive feature? Bring such amazing features to the pstriple please.

I was expecting the March update to be much bigger than it sounds like it is. I just remember hearing months ago how awesome it would be. I don't know. I am glad they are fixing things, but it seems like a tiny update.

Damn, im sorry i have an opinion, i have unsettled the SDF around here. And people thought i was defensive about PS3 stuff at other boards.
I just want annoyances like having to quit a game to send a message or read a message, actually that and the backgrounding downloading and i would be perfectly happy with this firmware update.

DarienA

captive said:
Damn, im sorry i have an opinion, i have unsettled the SDF around here. And people thought i was defensive about PS3 stuff at other boards.
I just want annoyances like having to quit a game to send a message or read a message, actually that and the backgrounding downloading and i would be perfectly happy with this firmware update.

So anyone who disagrees with your take on the update, or has a different view of the IGN article is SDF?

Give me a f'n break.

captive

DarienA said:
So anyone who disagrees with your take on the update, or has a different view of the IGN article is SDF?

Give me a f'n break.
Once again, freaking out over nothing.

Whatever.

DarienA

captive said:
Once again, freaking out over nothing.

Whatever.

Ah yes the final straw, when you've determine that you no longer have interest in continuing the topic then blame the over folks for blowing it all out of proportion.

Strange when I look at my posts in response to yours they seem pretty straightforward.

But it's always better to just cut and run right?

Hell for all we know you could be right and IGN could be wrong, but pulling the only SDF excuse whenever folks disagree with you isn't cool.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Cold-Steel said:

Cold-Steel, this is coming in firmware 1.6. Didn't you read the thread?

captive

DarienA said:
Ah yes the final straw, when you've determine that you no longer have interest in continuing the topic then blame the over folks for blowing it all out of proportion.

Strange when I look at my posts in response to yours they seem pretty straightforward.

But it's always better to just cut and run right?

Hell for all we know you could be right and IGN could be wrong, but pulling the only SDF excuse whenever folks disagree with you isn't cool.
im not blaming anyone.

Cutting and running? I just said "whatever."

I wasnt pulling the SDF because they disagreed, i was pulling it because, they were correcting every little damn thing, like it was ****ing huge.
Yes, i didnt know IGN had updated their article, when i read the article sometime this morning it did not have said update. Fast forward to hitting "last page" on threads and i missed the part where it was posted in the thread. Give me a ****ing break. Christ.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
captive said:
Pardon us, but we thought you wanted more feedback about your opinions since you said:
I like how everyone is trying to correct that one minor thing i mentioned, while all the major parts of my complaint post goes ignored. :-\
Make up your mind.

DarienA

captive said:
im not blaming anyone.

Cutting and running? I just said "whatever."

I wasnt pulling the SDF because they disagreed, i was pulling it because, they were correcting every little damn thing, like it was ****ing huge.
Yes, i didnt know IGN had updated their article, when i read the article sometime this morning it did not have said update. Fast forward to hitting "last page" on threads and i missed the part where it was posted in the thread. Give me a ****ing break. Christ.

Break given, simply realize that if you make a post of any size with multiple paragraphs, multiples statements and multiple points you are going to find that different folks are going to key in on different sentences, etc... and what you might think are people ganging up on you might just be different folks seeing different things.

looks like you can play games AND download at same time now.....

UPDATE: We've received word from Sony that you will indeed be able to play games while downloading content in the background. Similar to how downloads on the Xbox 360 works, you'll be able to play games offline while downloads work in the background, and if you hop online your queue will simply pause until you disconnect.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/774/774165p1.html

antiloop

Some of you guys expect too much from this update... This is Sony and software we are talking about here.
If they implement too much at once they will break stuff also. :p

Luckyman

Banned
SCEE said:
Firmware Version 1.60 also delivers a more convenient process for downloading content to the PS3 from the PLAYSTATION Store. Up to 6 pieces of content from the PlayStation store can be queued up for download while the user enjoys other functions of the PS3 system,including playing games, browsing the web, using media functions including photo browsing, video and music playback. Progress of downloads can be easily tracked under a new Download Management menu under the XMB’s Network icon(2).

SCEA said:
Firmware version 1.60 delivers a more convenient process for downloading
content to the PS3 from the PLAYSTATION Store. PS3 users will now be able to
queue up to six downloads at one time. Progress of downloads can be easily
tracked under a new Download Management menu under the XMB's Network icon. In
addition, content will be able to be downloaded in the background while using
some PS3 system features,
such as accessing the XMB to display videos and
photos from the system's hard drive, playing music, and browsing the Web.
Please refer to http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates for full
information on this feature.

SCEE must be mistaken.. unless it´s different firmware for PAL-regions.

http://www.innerbits.com/blog/2007/02/27/ps3-online-background-downloading-the-sony-way/

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
DenogginizerOS said:
Any word on wireless firmware being updated?
In what way? I'm using wifi and haven't had any real problems with it. Are you talking about the signal or something?

Oni Jazar

Bugs fixes aren't reported in PR. We're lucky we got any notification of what's in the update. Usually it's a guessing game.

Kinan

A disc auto-start option will allow users to choose whether they want their PS3 to automatically play a disc when it's inserted or the machine is turned on.

Heh, that was fixed much faster than for PSP. :)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Bad_Boy said:
In what way? I'm using wifi and haven't had any real problems with it. Are you talking about the signal or something?

There are HUGE differences in download speeds compared to the X360 and Wii. All three of my systems are equally distant from my router and the PS3 DL speeds are 1/6th the speeds I get with the other systems.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
DenogginizerOS said:
There are HUGE differences in download speeds compared to the X360 and Wii. All three of my systems are equally distant from my router and the PS3 DL speeds are 1/6th the speeds I get with the other systems.
Not sure since I don't have those to compare with, but for what it's worth speeds haven't been slow for me since January (give or take). I've heard the wifi card in the ps3 is pretty crap though so it could just be hardware and not software. How is your signal strength?

Top Bottom