• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 1.6 Thread. (Out now, updated feature list in first post)

consoul

Luckyman said:
SCEE must be mistaken.. unless it´s different firmware for PAL-regions.
No, the two press releases are actually consistent.
The first one (from SCEE) is just cleverly worded. It doesn't say you can download while playing games, it says you can have items queued for download while you play games.

A disc auto-start option will allow users to choose whether they want their PS3 to automatically play a disc when it's inserted or the machine is turned on.
thank you very much.

that was the big one i wanted. now i can use my PS3 as a blu-ray player with my harmony remote without having to once touch a pad.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Bad_Boy said:
Not sure since I don't have those to compare with, but for what it's worth speeds haven't been slow for me since January (give or take). I've heard the wifi card in the ps3 is pretty crap though so it could just be hardware and not software. How is your signal strength?
It usually hovers around the mid 90's. When I play online, I have zero problems. It is the download speeds that are painful. It is actually pretty well documented on the Playstation official boards that there is definitely a problem with slow download speeds and wireless routers. When I wire my PS3 directly to the router, the DL speeds are on par with my PC. It is not server related. It is either shite hardware and/or shite firmware. :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
^^^should have bought the $499 model and used the money saved to get a wireless bridge to hook your 360 and PS3 up to your network.

DenogginizerOS

kaching said:
^^^should have bought the $499 model and used the money saved to get a wireless bridge to hook your 360 and PS3 up to your network.

I have a pretty nice wireless bridge that I used to use for my X360. I might try it with the 60GB if that is is possible. But still, this problem is well documented and has been for almost the entire time the system has been out. Hopefully, this can be rectified with a firmware update.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
DenogginizerOS said:
It usually hovers around the mid 90's. When I play online, I have zero problems. It is the download speeds that are painful. It is actually pretty well documented on the Playstation official boards that there is definitely a problem with slow download speeds and wireless routers. When I wire my PS3 directly to the router, the DL speeds are on par with my PC. It is not server related. It is either shite hardware and/or shite firmware. :(
If not 100% of people are having the same problem, would it be more hardware than software? Unless it has to do with firmware compatibility with certain routers or something.

kaching said:
if he could find one.

but i have the same problem. awful download speeds through the internal wifi, great download speeds through my wireless bridge (i had a spare and use linux on the ps3 too so i had to go ethernet anyway).

i know that this is one of those things that'll just suddenly start working one firmware, with no fan fare, but it is annoying being in the dark about such things.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm not saying they shouldn't fix whatever problems they have with the wifi firmware, but it was ridiculous for them to make wifi exclusive to the 60 gb model in the first place and I wish fewer people had bit on that bait.

And if you already have a wireless bridge for your 360, you definitely should hook the PS3 up to that as well (assuming it has enough ports).

plagiarize said:
if he could find one.
I had no problem, but I was also one of the few that actually seemed to want one.

DenogginizerOS

plagiarize said:
if he could find one.

but i have the same problem. awful download speeds through the internal wifi, great download speeds through my wireless bridge (i had a spare and use linux on the ps3 too so i had to go ethernet anyway).

i know that this is one of those things that'll just suddenly start working one firmware, with no fan fare, but it is annoying being in the dark about such things.

How did you configure your 60GB to work with a wireless bridge? I may try this when I get home tonight.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Oni Jazar said:
Bugs fixes aren't reported in PR. We're lucky we got any notification of what's in the update. Usually it's a guessing game.

Hell yeah. Sounds like Sony has been listening to us. Changelog confirmed!

Safe Bet

Banned
Yama said:
This is not what I wanted to hear. Give me XMB friends access and chat while doing SOMETHING...
I'd love to be able to check and/or send messages from my Friends List while playing games...

Does anyone know what time of day the update will be available? Are we talking early morning, or late at night? I want to be able to try it before I go to school.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
snack said:
Does anyone know what time of day the update will be available? Are we talking early morning, or late at night? I want to be able to try it before I go to school.

Usually those things happen after 5:00 pm EST.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Firmware updates are usually available later though - don't they usually pop-up after midnight, EST?

DenogginizerOS said:
How did you configure your 60GB to work with a wireless bridge? I may try this when I get home tonight.
configure it hooked up to a PC (usually using a http interface)... confirm connectivity... then plug it into the PS3. you can't do it through the PS3 menus as you can on the 360, but once you've got it connected that doesn't really matter.

M3Freak

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
In what way? I'm using wifi and haven't had any real problems with it. Are you talking about the signal or something?

It's SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Like, worse than 802.11b.

I thought maybe it was my router (a d-link), but people having the same speed issues are using linksys routers too. It's got to be either:

1. shitty ass wifi drivers.
2. shitty, low power, crappy ass signal strength wifi

If it's 1, it's fixable. Yeah.

If it's 2, we're screwed, and I'm pissed. Boo. Boourns.

I should have mentioned that wifi is my only option for connecting my PS3 to the LAN. I bought a second d-link wireless router, but it's destined for a Linux thin client I'm setting up in the family room.

M3Freak said:
It's SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Like, worse than 802.11b.

I thought maybe it was my router (a d-link), but people having the same speed issues are using linksys routers too. It's got to be either:

1. shitty ass wifi drivers.
2. shitty, low power, crappy ass signal strength wifi

If it's 1, it's fixable. Yeah.

If it's 2, we're screwed, and I'm pissed. Boo. Boourns.
just for the record, all my stuff is D-link

bill0527

I initially thought it was a hardware problem as well. I went through troubleshooting hell back in November when I first got my PS3. I made 2 calls to Sony and everyone tried to blame it on my ISP. They couldn't explain though, why every other device on my network - Xbox 360, laptop, and my desktop PC all download fine. The PS3 was the only device on my network that had unbearably slow download speeds. I went through all the tech support .. opening ports, enabling DMZ, yadda yadda, and it got me nowhere. I hooked up a wireless bridge to my PS3 and it didn't help. I changed routers from a Linksys WRT54G to a D-Link DIR-625 and it didn't help. I ran a wire straight from my cable modem to my PS3 and the downloads *slightly* increased, but still nowhere near what they should be.

I finally called Sony back in early December and got angry with them. They basically started blaming it all on my ISP again, even though EVERYTHING else on my network was working perfectly. I asked to speak to a supervisor because I was getting nowhere with tech support and I firmly believed that I had a defective wifi card in my PS3. The supervisor "guaranteed" that the wifi card in my PS3 was working fine and then he admitted that the problem was mostly likely on their end and that they didn't have the right server ports open on their end to communicate effectively with everyone's ISP. He told me to be patient because their network was brand new and this whole 'network thing' was brand new to them.

I guess he was right because in the middle of January, my speeds suddenly, magically were incredibly fast. Everything from the PSN store was downloading just as fast as everything else on my network. Then at the beginning of March, everything went to hell again and now I'm back with download speeds slower than what they were when I first got my PS3. Its basically not even worth it to download anything right now because it will take way too long. I've tried for the last 3 days to download the Def Jam Icon demo and I timed the percentage it was downloading and it would take about 8 hours to download it.

Oni Jazar

That sucks, but if you say that connecting the cable directly to the system only gave you a small speed increase how could it be the wifi's fault?

kenta

Has no PEINS
plagiarize said:
thank you very much.

that was the big one i wanted. now i can use my PS3 as a blu-ray player with my harmony remote without having to once touch a pad.
Wait, what? How are you using the Harmony with the PS3?

Raistlin

plagiarize said:
thank you very much.

While I do like this option ...

... you people realize you can hold L1 and R2 at either boot up or when a disk is inserted to prevent autorun.

Ragnarok10

Onix said:
While I do like this option ...

... you people realize you can hold L1 and R2 at either boot up or when a disk is inserted to prevent autorun.

...or just create an additional system user and the PS3 will boot to the user select screen.

grendelrt

kenta said:
What the HECK are you guys talking about, is there a link to a procedure I can see or something?

As we all know, PS3 uses Bluetooth for remote communication and there is no IR receiver. The upcoming remote will also be Bluetooth, so there does not appear to be an IR learn option here. Until someone makes an IR remote for this (with an IR USB receiver), there is a short term solution. This is for BLURAY DVD playing only.

1. Purchase a PS2 to USB adabter from radioshack (part # 26-729) $11.00. This dongle was originally designed to connect PS controllers to a PC.

2. Purchase a SONY original PS2 DVD remote (model schp-10150)

3. Plug the remotes IR receiver into the radioshack adapter and then plug the USB end of the adapter into any PS3 USB port.

4. If the PS3 is not line of sight, connect an IR blaster to the IR receiver (as you would a normal IR eye on any equipment).

5. Learn the IR codes direct from the PS2 remote for use in custom remote programming. Program custom remote accordingly.

That’s it. Now, this predominantly works when in the BluRay mode. This means that a client still needs to navigate to the blue ray disc and select it with the PS3 controller. However, once the disc is playing, they can have full control from their programmed remote. I said it was primarily for DVD playing, however, the 4 major PS2 buttons (Triangle / Circle / Square / X) do work at all times. Unfortunately, navigation with the 4 way pad outside of the DVD area does not work.

Raistlin

grendelrt said:
As we all know, PS3 uses Bluetooth for remote communication and there is no IR receiver. The upcoming remote will also be Bluetooth, so there does not appear to be an IR learn option here. Until someone makes an IR remote for this (with an IR USB receiver), there is a short term solution. This is for BLURAY DVD playing only.

1. Purchase a PS2 to USB adabter from radioshack (part # 26-729) $11.00. This dongle was originally designed to connect PS controllers to a PC.

2. Purchase a SONY original PS2 DVD remote (model schp-10150)

3. Plug the remotes IR receiver into the radioshack adapter and then plug the USB end of the adapter into any PS3 USB port.

4. If the PS3 is not line of sight, connect an IR blaster to the IR receiver (as you would a normal IR eye on any equipment).

5. Learn the IR codes direct from the PS2 remote for use in custom remote programming. Program custom remote accordingly.

That’s it. Now, this predominantly works when in the BluRay mode. This means that a client still needs to navigate to the blue ray disc and select it with the PS3 controller. However, once the disc is playing, they can have full control from their programmed remote. I said it was primarily for DVD playing, however, the 4 major PS2 buttons (Triangle / Circle / Square / X) do work at all times. Unfortunately, navigation with the 4 way pad outside of the DVD area does not work.

Yeah, I believe you only get the more basic control that is mostly mapping the standard controller to a logical remote design.

I don't think any of the special buttons work, because you needed drivers that came with the remote ... or are those built in to hte PS3? I haven't tried this solution yet since I've swapped out a ton of components recently and haven't reprogrammed my MX-500. I'm using like 4 remotes right now :lol

KTallguy

Banned
Isn't it easier to just purchase the remote off of amazon or something ?

Why do all this IR receiver stuff?

Edit: Oh you guys wanna use universal remote, I got it :)

Raistlin

KTallguy said:
Why do all this IR receiver stuff?

Err ... what are you asking? Why do we care about having IR?

Some of us have universal remotes (and I'm sure at least a couple have some sort of crazy whole-house automation, etc.), so bluetooth forces us to have to use a second controller for the PS3.

All of the current universals and automation systems use IR and/or RF.

rc213

bigfatgameguy said:
this has probably been posted, but ign is reported, through speaking with sony, that you can play games offline, while still having downloads going. if you go online, the system puts the download on hold until you come off.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/774/774165p1.html

If this includes PS1/PS2 game then even better becuase right now booting into a PS1/PS2 game shuts off the Wi-Fi. If it's only PS3 Blu-Ray and PSN games I hope they can add PS1/PS2 games to it.

Mmmkay

Wow someone else finally bothered to ping Sony about this background downloading malarkey.

Kotaku's in our good books at the mo, right? Right?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/background-downloading/sony-clarifies-background-downloading-246099.php
There was much confusion, at least in my head, about how exactly the new Playstation 3 background downloading was going to work.

The problem, it seems, was that the US press release and UK press didn't exactly jibe with one another. Jibe... I like that word..

So I emailed David Karraker, head of SCEA PR, to get to the bottom of things and I've got some relatively good news for you.

You can play games and download in the background, you just can't play online. So playing offline in a single player mode is doable, but once you hop into multiplayer or something that uses the network the download pauses.

When the online portion ends, the download resumes without any lost data. Hazzah!

ant1532

Banned
Does anyone else download the update from your pc to a memory stick since your PS3 takes years to download it? Or is it just me?

Raistlin

ant1532 said:
Does anyone else download the update from your pc to a memory stick since your PS3 takes years to download it? Or is it just me?

I don't ... my downloads are really fast.

JB1981

Mmmkay said:
I really hope they intend to release the trailer on XBL and the PSN.

I bet Xbox Live gets it a little after it hits the web, with the PSN not getting it at all. :(

/me losing faith.

ant1532

Banned
JB1981 said:
I bet Xbox Live gets it a little after it hits the web, with the PSN not getting it at all. :(

/me losing faith.
:lol

It's probably true though.

Sony NEEEDS to update their store. It's just horrible. It's just a straight up web page. The Wii Store can use some work too(although imo, it's not as bad)

Ragnarok10 said:
...or just create an additional system user and the PS3 will boot to the user select screen.

Actually, It's more complicated than that.

I have multiple users on my PS3 and it STILL autoruns the game in the drive. The problem is having ANY user set to auto-login. If you don't want the PS3 to Autorun, then you have to boot, then select a user and login to PSN. It doesn't take that long to do, but I shouldn't have to jump through such hoops for a flag in the system settings that should've been there on day one or in one of the patches since.

Holding the triggers during bootup works too but again that is a pain in the ass.

RoH

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Actually, It's more complicated than that.

I have multiple users on my PS3 and it STILL autoruns the game in the drive. The problem is having ANY user set to auto-login. If you don't want the PS3 to Autorun, then you have to boot, then select a user and login to PSN. It doesn't take that long to do, but I shouldn't have to jump through such hoops for a flag in the system settings that should've been there on day one or in one of the patches since.

Holding the triggers during bootup works too but again that is a pain in the ass.

I just hold left or right on the D pad and it boots to the menu.

JB1981

yeah, just hit the d-pad a few times at start-up and you're good. It would be nice to have the option to boot to dash, though.

Top Bottom