• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Home Official Thread

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
MrPliskin said:
So what if you have the full game? Will the cabinets be full versions?

The other thing is, are the cabinets real time, or is it like the Namco Home space, where it'll actually load the game of your HDD?

They are the same thing from the arcade if I'm reading right... and yes if you have the full game they're all unlocked.

AndyD said:
The thing is that Sony said that its a developer and third party driven model. If EA wants to invest into creating Sim like items and put them up for sale, great, they can. But Sony have said they won't be the ones to fill the place with items and squeeze out the third parties.

Its sort of like this: if Sony puts out 30 types of couches in all all sorts of colors and fabrics and styles, then EA and other third parties wont create couches because the market is flooded. Same for every other item. So then those third parties will have no interest in coming to Home since they wont be able to sell anything.

Remember, its only been out 1 year and its grown by leaps and bounds. Both in functionality and content and quality. And to top it all off, its still in beta.

I am not saying its perfect, not even close, but honestly its exceeded my expectations by a lot. The variety of spaces and clothes is very good. And as more and more games come out, it seems almost all big games have some tie in to Home, through spaces, clothes and items. I mean jus tin the past few months we have seen Infamous, Batman, Ghostbusters tie ins. I am sure I am forgetting some.

See I'm not saying exact sims items... why just EA? I mean if sony created a set of couches/chairs/beds/etc. Then you could have some good customization. Instead you pay some ridiculous amount for each individual item. It would be cool if each company could release their own branded stuff, but that would be like expansion packs. Sony should release a core pack or something whether free or not, this way you can get started and get hooked. I know at least 5 of my friends with PS3s would play this if it was like that.

It would also be cool if sony could add some RPG elements in a sense that you can upgrade your characters similar to sims. It would add a whole other element to HOME and actually make it a "game" rather than a glorified chat room.

Oni Jazar

Here are some more details on the 1.3 patch from the changelog:

* Advanced Targeting System
o Different types of target are now ‘weighted’ so you can more easily target the things you want to interact with (such as games or screens).
o The system now takes much greater account of what the camera is looking at when deciding what you are trying to target.
o If you are having trouble targeting something you can more easily re-target to it using left and right on the d-pad or left stick.

* Pool Improvements
o When lining up a shot you can now raise or lower the cue by moving up or down on the left stick.
o You can also put spin on the cue ball by pressing [CIRCLE] when lining up a shot and then moving the striking position around with the left stick.
+ Strike lower on the cue ball for back spin, higher for top spin and to the left or right for side spin.

* Queuing
o You can now queue up to play any occupied game that supports queuing.
+ You can only queue for one game at a time. If you join the queue for another game you will leave your current queue.
+ When the game becomes free people waiting to play will be given the chance to play in the order they queued. If you miss your turn to join the game or leave the instance, you will be removed from the queue.
+ While queuing for one game, you can still play other games in the space if they are available.
+ You can check which game you are queued for and your position in the queue under the “Queues” section of the Menu Pad. You can also choose to leave the queue from here as well.

* Miscellaneous Improvements
o There is a new background image on the front end.
o We have improved when and how we check for items that you own. As a result the speed with which you log in to Home or move between stores has been improved.
o Relocation between areas is quicker.
o The collision on bowling pins has been improved.
o The menu available in the Menu Pad has been rearranged to make options easier to find. In particular the “Settings” menu has been broken into several categories to accommodate all of the new options.
o There are two new options in the Menu Pad for changing how Home is displayed on your television.
+ Screen size and position can be changed under “Settings > Adjust Screen Position and Size”.
+ The brightness of the screen can be changed under “Settings > Adjust Gamma”.
o The leader of a club may now blacklist people from being able to join their club, via the admin menu. Anyone who is blacklisted and attempts to join the club will see a message explaining that they cannot join and why.

More here:

http://www.alphazone4.co.uk/2009/10/playstation-home-official-changelog-1-3

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Good thing they tightened up the relocating. It gets boring and discouraging going back and forth, but it's good to hear they're working it out.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
tirminyl said:
Cannot wait for these updates. Tomorrow is going to be massive.

Home has become like a game for me... the excitement I used to have for games is now directed at Home and I have NO IDEA WHY. What is WRONG with me?!

AndyD

aka andydumi
msdstc said:
They are the same thing from the arcade if I'm reading right... and yes if you have the full game they're all unlocked.

See I'm not saying exact sims items... why just EA? I mean if sony created a set of couches/chairs/beds/etc. Then you could have some good customization. Instead you pay some ridiculous amount for each individual item. It would be cool if each company could release their own branded stuff, but that would be like expansion packs. Sony should release a core pack or something whether free or not, this way you can get started and get hooked. I know at least 5 of my friends with PS3s would play this if it was like that.

It would also be cool if sony could add some RPG elements in a sense that you can upgrade your characters similar to sims. It would add a whole other element to HOME and actually make it a "game" rather than a glorified chat room.

They dont want it to be a game. Its more of a meta world, go in, look around, play a few minigames, watch a few commercials and things, then go into a game.

And they do offer a basic pack of items, dont all characters come with a free apartment, free set of furniture and a nice selection of clothes? And Sony did create basic sets of couches, chairs and all other items.

I think you will have to give examples of what you have in mind because I think you are asking for what is there now.

MrPliskin

Banned
So I have a question. Is home completely region locked, or can users from other regions still visit you in your Home Space and / or Clubhouse?

Oni Jazar

MrPliskin said:
So I have a question. Is home completely region locked, or can users from other regions still visit you in your Home Space and / or Clubhouse?

You can only visit other regions if someone from that region invites you. That, or create an account for that region.

MrPliskin

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
You can only visit other regions if someone from that region invites you. That, or create an account for that region.
So if I invite someone to my Home Space or Clubhouse, they should be able to join?

DMeisterJ

Banned
SolidusDave said:
while the Home servers are not it seems ^^

Nope, apparently there is an 'extended downtime'...

I'm not sure why they don't have separate server(s) to test the update so that it can be a smooth update, rather than shutting the servers down to test the update...

Pachimari

Even though we can not get on yet, the new log on screen is much better than the one before it. the playstation symbols are much easier on the eyes than the sketch before it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So basically: New Camera (alright), some new spaces (meh), and no Biohazard 5 space update for my Wesker glasses that my PS3 copy of the game practically cries out for, something that Japan has had for months.

*yawn*-a-roony update, like usual. Maybe when they give me my Wesker glasses a reason to visit my Homespace, I'll use it for more than EA Poker. :|

jayb

do apartments or clubs have a group voice chat functionality? or are they only text chats like everywhere else in Home.

NightHawk17 said:
anyone else not getting pass the press X button screen?

i hit it and it freezes

was the same for me
it initialized and after a few seconds the PS3/Home locked up.

I deleted Home in the XMB, redownloaded it and it works now.
Btw after redownloading I had the option for the cache size, didn't asked me before.

SolidusDave said:
was the same for me
it initialized and after a few seconds the PS3/Home locked up.

Btw after redownloading I had the option for the cache size, didn't asked me before.
if i delete home will my purchase be deleted too?

DMeisterJ

Banned
NightHawk17 said:
anyone else not getting pass the press X button screen?

i hit it and it freezes

Delete and re-install.

SolidusDave said:

You can also change this in settings on the Menu Pad.

kuYuri

Even after deleting and reinstalling, Home still freezes right after the progress bar finishes loading my apartment. :lol

Fail.

jayb

Septimus said:
They both have voice chat.

cool. that will be good to use along with universal game launching to have a consistent voice chat room with friends when not playing a game.

That's assuming you get placed back into the same area in Home after quitting a game?

Septimus

jayb said:
cool. that will be good to use along with universal game launching to have a consistent voice chat room with friends when not playing a game.

That's assuming you get placed back into the same area in Home after quitting a game?
Correct.

I didn't know the Lost Planet 2 Demo allows Home-Launching (the real one) :lol

and you can now actually make parties for EVERY game, demo etc. on your PS3.
You can only join them if you have the selected game on your PS3 (or the disc in the drive).

brandonh83 said:
Oh, I just had it highlighted and it said something like 2100MB. :lol

yeah but that's the cache size (mine was 3000MB + ca. 80MB Home itself, so I was already at the limit before the new cache option)

and I must say, the universal game launching has its uses. While you still have to find the people in the game itself, you can find people in Home who want to play that game, discuss how to find each other in the game (password, friend add etc.) and the party leader starts the game for everyone at the same time.

So it's not just the same as XMB -> launch game x

jayb

Septimus said:

one more question: is there a limit to the number of people that can voice chat at the same time in an apartment or club? can 32 people be in the same club at once to voice chat?

edgefusion

Can anyone post a picture of the new XMB background? I'd download it myself but I'm on mobile internet and I no longer have a display to play my PS3 on (thanks to Dell's shoddy delivery).

AndyD

aka andydumi
jayb said:
one more question: is there a limit to the number of people that can voice chat at the same time in an apartment or club? can 32 people be in the same club at once to voice chat?

No limit. You have to be within "ear shot" as closer people can be heard and far away ones cannot if I remember right.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Holy shit, is anyone else having the problem where they literally can not back out of anything? I was stuck in the Wardrobe because O wouldn't back out of it or give me a go back screen until I pressed Select and clicked "Go to Personal Space" ... but now that won't work and I'm stuck on the map screen. What the hell is going on?

Dreweyes

Everytime I press X at the main title screen to go into Home it freezes.
It's done it like 4 times now.

Really want to know if the Sword Alcove glitch is fixed so I can display it again...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dreweyes said:
Everytime I press X at the main title screen to go into Home it freezes.
It's done it like 4 times now.

Really want to know if the Sword Alcove glitch is fixed so I can display it again...

Delete and re-download. Fixed it for me. All your data will be safe. No worries. You'll only have to re-download the spaces.

Dreweyes

TTP said:
Delete and re-download. Fixed it for me. All your data will be safe. No worries. You'll only have to re-download the spaces.

Thanks for the tip, but it's still freezing.
Uninstalled all the Home stuff and reinstalled it, but now it freezes when it try's to load up my Summer House (where I was last before I logged off).

Guess I'll try it again...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sucks to hear that. No idea what it might be. Just to be sure it aint a firmware thing, did you update the PS3 to firmware 3.01?

Top Bottom