• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 + Mac media streaming hotness: Nullriver's MediaLink is here!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well, almost here... and it shows album art!

Beautiful album art & previews
MediaLink automarically displays your album art, photo and video previews on your PlayStation 3.

iTunes integration
With MediaLink's flawless iTunes integration, getting to your songs on your PlayStation 3 is just as easy as it is on your Mac. Find any song, album or artist with ease in the Mac-like navigation system provided by MediaLink. MediaLink also conveniently shares your Playlists, Podcasts and Videos to your PlayStation 3.

Made a change to your Playlists? No problem, MediaLink will pick it up automatically in a few seconds and reflect that change on your PlayStation

HD video streaming
Make your PlayStation 3 your home media center. MediaLink can stream high definition video content to your living room with ease!

Continue movies from where you left off or fast forward and rewind, all effortlessly using your PlayStation 3 and MediaLink.

Organize your way
Don't use iTunes or iPhoto? Do you have media stored outside your libraries? No problem! MediaLink has full folder organization support. MediaLink can easily locate music, photos and videos in any folder on your Mac and even preview it and collect ID3 information from your songs.

iPhoto in vivid HD
With MediaLink, you can view your iPhoto photo library and slideshows on your television screen, they're especially beautiful in vivid high definition.

Browse by photo album, event or watch a slideshow to the tune of your favorite song, its all easy and fun! Want some motion? Watch your iPhoto videos too!

What formats are supported?
MediaLink supports all the formats that the PlayStation 3 supports, excluding DRM protected content, including: MP3, WMA, WAV, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264, AVI, WMV & ASF, DIVX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, BMP and more.

medialink-screenshot0.png

http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/medialink

From the people who brought you Connect360 - but only better!

B-Ri

i know it was built for the ps3, but i rmember hearing the annoucement was more of a patch for connect360 to work for both.

i would buy the software in a second if it worked on both platforms.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
No AAC. Boo. Sony's fault on that. But still-- Boo. Claiming iTunes integration is a bit misleading considering that iTunes defaults to import using AAC.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
bluheim said:
AAC is supported. DRM-AAC is not. Not Sony's fault.

MP3, WMA, WAV, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264, AVI, WMV & ASF, DIVX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, BMP and more.

I don't see AAC in this list. Do you see it in there somewhere? Am I overlooking it?

Chittagong

Gold Member
bluheim said:
At last ! Album art is F***** great !

yes, and you'll even notice that the Earth visualizer on PS3 has a placeholder for album art.

Earth visualizer + Vangelis cover art + Pulsar = need to pop lube

bluheim

Banned
CrapSandwich said:
MP3, WMA, WAV, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264, AVI, WMV & ASF, DIVX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, BMP and more.

I don't see AAC in this list. Do you see it in there somewhere? Am I overlooking it?

They simply forgot AAC in the list.

MediaLink supports all the formats that the PlayStation 3 supports, excluding DRM protected content, including: MP3, WMA, WAV, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264, AVI, WMV & ASF, DIVX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, BMP and more.

No AAC would mean no iTunes integration.

harSon

Banned
Video streaming was one of my reasons for not making the switch to a Mac, good to know that it's possible now :D

Why isn't it up for download yet ;_;

I just bought EyeConnect like a month ago, it's pretty decent but I'm hoping this is much, much better.

B-Ri

album art isnt showing up, neither is the music period, is it because its the trial and their locking me out?

B-Ri

bran said:
What the fuck? They broke down a DLNA server into Xbox 360 and PS3 versions and sell them separately?

Use EyeTV and EyeConnect Mac users, don't support this non-sense.

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/software/EyeConnect.en.html

prod_eyecon_headergr_en.jpg

if you look at the support faq section of media link, it talks about the 360, theyre both supported, its an agnostic program.

And one im not sure if its locking me out of nor not because i cant see my album art or ANY of my media, i jsut get to the folders.

avaya

Dante said:
Mine doesn't :(

But it works fantastic

Only thing that pisses me off about the streaming is lack of album art. It's not that hard! They'll probably add it in another update.

bran

B-Ri said:
if you look at the support faq section of media link, it talks about the 360, theyre both supported, its an agnostic program.

And one im not sure if its locking me out of nor not because i cant see my album art or ANY of my media, i jsut get to the folders.

Oh I see, so this replaces Connect360.

Does anyone using this know if you need to copy over certain Divx or Xvid videos to play them on the PS3? I'm using Eye Connect right now, but it's a pain to have to copy over the videos to my PS3 to be able to play them.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could get a discount considering I purchased Connect 360

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So, this is for both 360 & PSTriple streaming? What about us guys who've payed for Connect 360?

Edit: K, the page doesn't say anything about 360... Hmm.

B-Ri

MoeB said:
This software is fantastic. I'm watching top gear on my tv! consider it bought!

so with the trail version you could see all your media and play it? it wont on mine at all.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
First impression: First DLNA server that's worked flawlessly for me thus far. As far as actually showing up and being organized. Pretty peppy, too.

Only issue so far is that it doesn't seem to see Aliases. Hmm.

Jonnyram

SnakeXs said:
So, this is for both 360 & PSTriple streaming? What about us guys who've payed for Connect 360?

Edit: K, the page doesn't say anything about 360... Hmm.
It does, but only because they forgot to edit it :lol

http://www.nullriver.com/index/support/medialink
I have a Linksys WRT54G and my Xbox 360 can't see my Mac!

Ensure you are running the factory firmware on your router. Using custom firmware may not work. Resetting the router to factory settings may help as well.
Looks like a quick copy + paste job from the 360 support page.

It should be a single piece of software really - it would make much more sense to have a single database than two separate ones with the same content. Plus I wouldn't be at all happy having to pay for the same thing twice :/

B-Ri

its still not recognizing any of my music or processing any of my pictures or anythidngdsnfgjkdshfa

I'm getting the error that port 9385 or 9386 are in use. Where can I check to see what application is using them. I checked the router page(tomato firmware) but couldn't find anything.

B-Ri said:
its still not recognizing any of my music or processing any of my pictures or anythidngdsnfgjkdshfa
I haven't tested it yet because I'm still @ work, but what I think the major issue with this will be is the fact that the Apple Airport Extreme WiFi hub (the Hershey Kiss-shaped non-N one at least) does NOT support UPnP. Of course, it being an Apple hub, many Mac users are likely to be using this. If this stops this app from doing its thing I'll be really bummed.

B-Ri

im on a linksys router, its getting the folders right, but not album covers or music or media or anything.

I take it you've already accessed your router settings and enabled UPnP then...

One other thing.. I know with Connect 360, if your Mac was on your network via a wireless connection your console had to be connected via WiFi as well. This also applied if they were wired.

So both your mac and 360 had to be either wired or wireless together.

B-Ri

only until i added the exact folder where some songs were did it finally find some, but since 30 minutes were up i couldnt play it to make sur eit worked,

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
polyh3dron said:
I take it you've already accessed your router settings and enabled UPnP then...

One other thing.. I know with Connect 360, if your Mac was on your network via a wireless connection your console had to be connected via WiFi as well. This also applied if they were wired.

So both your mac and 360 had to be either wired or wireless together.

Whut?

Oh yeah and nice product except the PS3 hung when I pointed it at a folder with about 90 photos in it. Also no support for .m4a. There's definite potential for this to work in the future, though.

B-Ri

this thing sucks balls

every time i try to play something the server shuts itself down and i get 2101 errors on my ps3.

B-Ri said:
this thing sucks balls

every time i try to play something the server shuts itself down and i get 2101 errors on my ps3.
been having exactly the same problem, extremely annoying. maybe its a wireless router problem, i dunno. and can anyone confirm whether this works with the newest airport extreme base station? i dont have one (crappy netgear router) but would like one, however if it blocked UPnP that could be a deal breaker.

So have some of you bought it? I'll have to listen to your updates until I trust the software enough to pay the money. My fucking 30 minutes of "testing" is up.

B-Ri

DoctorWho said:
So have some of you bought it? I'll have to listen to your updates until I trust the software enough to pay the money. My fucking 30 minutes of "testing" is up.

i bought it, and every time i try to access content this POS turns itself off.

the ridiculous thing is ill allow me to copy files to my ps3 HDD, but not stream them.

B-Ri

badcrumble said:
been having exactly the same problem, extremely annoying. maybe its a wireless router problem, i dunno. and can anyone confirm whether this works with the newest airport extreme base station? i dont have one (crappy netgear router) but would like one, however if it blocked UPnP that could be a deal breaker.

you figure out the problem yet? ive tried everything. i am on a linksys WRT54G

B-Ri said:
you figure out the problem yet? ive tried everything. i am on a linksys WRT54G
I gave up for now, didn't feel like bothering around too much. EyeConnect always worked pretty decently for me, at least at keeping the connection up.

Top Bottom