• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 + Mac media streaming hotness: Nullriver's MediaLink is here!

RaidenZR

Remy said:
You have your firewall blocking incoming traffic from your LAN? I can understand blocking traffic from the outside, were it getting past your Airport for whatever reason...but blocking on your LAN seems overly paranoid.

You should set the OS X Firewall (System Preferences -> Security) to Allow all incoming connections, and at the Airport level you should not forward any ports.

Oh? How do I know my Airport station is doing the protecting then?

JB1981

Just bought a Netgear wireless N router and I'm trying to stream HD media to the ps3 wirelessly and the vids crash constantly. Anything I can do about this?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i'm in love with this program, man. the xbox interface was holding me back but this is perfection <3

some of my video files have regular stutter pauses, but not all. why is that?

Aske

mattiewheels said:
i'm in love with this program, man. the xbox interface was holding me back but this is perfection <3

some of my video files have regular stutter pauses, but not all. why is that?

For some reason, my MP4s are no longer working smoothly. The files play fine off an SD card, and used to work beautifully with Media Link but now they all stutter when streamed. Only MP4s - Divx and xvid avi files are perfect. This might be an issue caused by the last update, but it's hard to tell because I've not had much cause to watch MP4s since the PS3 got Divx support.

Does anyone else have this issue?

dkeane

Aske said:
For some reason, my MP4s are no longer working smoothly. The files play fine off an SD card, and used to work beautifully with Media Link but now they all stutter when streamed. Only MP4s - Divx and xvid avi files are perfect. This might be an issue caused by the last update, but it's hard to tell because I've not had much cause to watch MP4s since the PS3 got Divx support.

Yeah I get the stutter with some files. Can't say it was because of a new release because I haven't been using it very long.

hirokazu

Aske said:

I heard people had been experiencing this problem with a variety of DLNA servers since updating to firmware 2.20, so I guess you can only wait for Sony to fix it.

EktorPR

Any idea if I have to open up a few ports in my router to get this to work? The server connection constantly crashes...maybe its interferring with something? (I have both PS3 and Wii, plus two laptops and the iMac feeding from it)

I have a Linksys WRT54G, btw (don't we all).

PD. I *really* want this to work...would love to use the PS3's capabilities to their fullest.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The_Inquisitor said:
Tversity

EDIT: Reviews of the latest version? I just picked up a LCD. My plan is to stream video from my computer to the PS3 and watch through the monitor.

I use Tversity now. Works great. I meant something that also does the album art.

EktorPR

I'm getting a "DLNA protocol error 7531"...I know it's not MediaLink, it's a Router-to-PS3 error. Ports I need to open?

I have a few questions.

Do I need to purchase this to copy files over?

I was also hoping to use this with my 360 but do I need to purchase connect360 or will this do the same job?

I've been using the trial and most of my album artwork shows which is nice, with tversity that never happened. I haven't used eyeconnect, is it any better?

I'm not going to read the thread but I'm going to reiterate whatever someone must have already said:

MediaTomb is Free and Multiplatform. Does the trick pretty flawlessly for me in linux without costing me a penny.

Zombie thread! Aiiieee!
Just curious if MediaLink retains the organization of your media from iTunes. For example: Connect360 lumps movies and TV together and shows only the episode titles for TV. Does this keep them separated? Does it retain the rest of the tag data such as series and season? Any decent overviews with pictures floating around? My Google-Fu is failing me here.

LCfiner

onegoodlogan said:
Zombie thread! Aiiieee!
Just curious if MediaLink retains the organization of your media from iTunes. For example: Connect360 lumps movies and TV together and shows only the episode titles for TV. Does this keep them separated? Does it retain the rest of the tag data such as series and season? Any decent overviews with pictures floating around? My Google-Fu is failing me here.

Yes, it keeps the exact folder structure from your Mac. Also, unlike connect360, you can select multiple folders from within MediaLink to be shared to the ps3 at one time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
ok....

now that i've got a big external drive i've been testing out all my video files and...

i don't get how half my files run seamlessly, like 720p avi's of LOST, but SD dvd rips stutter like crazy. and they're all off of the system in question, wirelessly streamed to a router that the ps3's got a cable running into. does anyone have these same issues and some advice?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Question: Is there any advantage to using this over hard-connecting your macbook to your TV using a DVI->HDMI cable?

question: has anyone been able to get album art streaming from a windows based media server? i'd be happy to pay, for a good enough set-up, but as much as i've tried i haven't been able to find anything that ferries art files across with my music

oatmeal

Banned
I'm going to buy this methinks...

I currently use a 4gig USB stick, but this would eliminate copying files over.

Hmmm...

bsjezz said:
question: has anyone been able to get album art streaming from a windows based media server? i'd be happy to pay, for a good enough set-up, but as much as i've tried i haven't been able to find anything that ferries art files across with my music
I've heard Nero MediaHome is supposed to, I can't verify that though. I'd like to know myself since I think I just lucked into an old desktop that I could use as my media server.

Aske

thetrin said:
Question: Is there any advantage to using this over hard-connecting your macbook to your TV using a DVI->HDMI cable?

I find the files play with far better quality on the PS3. I've had a handful of Xvid files work fine for most of their runtime and then reach a point where they become unplayable, so of course I plugged in the laptop. I'm not sure why, but the colours are noticeably more bland when watched via VLC, and the upscaling gains a little blur. The same files are more vibrant and more sharp when streamed to the PS3.

onegoodlogan said:
I've heard Nero MediaHome is supposed to, I can't verify that though. I'd like to know myself since I think I just lucked into an old desktop that I could use as my media server.

i was playing around yesterday and it looks like twonky media does album art pretty smoothly also. it's not a very nice program to use though and it does cost for anything more than 30 days, so i'll wait and see if i want to pay for it

but yeah. it looks good

darkvir

New PS3 user, have my nice gunmetal version :)

I just tried out MediaLink, it's fantastic! A worthy $20 spent~! A must buy for PS3 Mac users looking to media stream!

darkvir

Kugar77 said:
im definitely considering buying this one, im gonna wait until i get a bigger internal hd for my ps3

Since it streams the media, I don't think the size of your PS3 internal HD will be an issue.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Slight bump, but it looks like this thread's among Those That Won't Die anyway.

Is anybody using Medialink in conjunction with external storage via, say, Airport Disk or a directly connected drive or SMB share?

Aske

xsarien said:
Slight bump, but it looks like this thread's among Those That Won't Die anyway.

Is anybody using Medialink in conjunction with external storage via, say, Airport Disk or a directly connected drive or SMB share?

Yep. I have a 500GB USB external drive. If I need to, I plug it into my laptop, turn on MediaLink, and all the files appear on the PS3. They stream every bit as well as files stored directly on the laptop's hard drive.

But Sony still hasn't fixed the damn MP4 stutter. Bastards. They give with one hand and take with the other.

gabe90

Connect360 first time user here. So excited to stream media to my 360, but I can't get it to work.

Situation:
Connect360 sees my 360 and the console's status is "authorized"

When I go to the Media Center in my 360 it gives me a setup key, and then the next screen asks me to "Install PC Software" by going to xbox.com/pcsetup

I'm assuming I am not supposed to see this screen. None of the Connect360 guides mention this, and somehow this has become complicated...

When I test medic connection it says that PC Selected = Failed...but my PC can see my xbox and my xbox's IP address.

Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

LCfiner

gabe90 said:
Connect360 first time user here. So excited to stream media to my 360, but I can't get it to work.

Situation:
Connect360 sees my 360 and the console's status is "authorized"

When I go to the Media Center in my 360 it gives me a setup key, and then the next screen asks me to "Install PC Software" by going to xbox.com/pcsetup

I'm assuming I am not supposed to see this screen. None of the Connect360 guides mention this, and somehow this has become complicated...

When I test medic connection it says that PC Selected = Failed...but my PC can see my xbox and my xbox's IP address.

Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

unless I misunderstand you, you're not supposed to use the "media center" setup at all from the 360 with this program. it doesn't replicate a media center extender.

first. start up connect360 on the mac. pick the movie folder you want to share (you can only pick one at a time)

second: go back to the 360. check the system blade/ computers and the 360 should now see your Mac as a new computer. connect to it.

third: under the media blade, change your video or music or picture source (by hitting X) to the new computer you just connected. now you can access all the stuff form your Mac.

this is from memory but it should work just fine.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ok, I'm on a PC here. Yeah, I know, wrong thread. Anywho, I am using WMP11 on XP PRo and just got AAC working with it (already had the ffdshow codec pack, just needed the registry mod). Anyway, as is being alluded to in here non-ID3 tagging is not supported using WMP11. So my songs actually play perfectly, but none of my album art or tag information shows up as it's not ID3 style (Whatever the default is for AAC/itunes/mp4/etc). Is there any easy way to patch this into WMP11? I ran tversity for a while but the damn program kept crashing on my PC and logging my PS3 out. WMP11 has been rock stable but doesn't show the AAC tag info. I would prefer NOT to install another app to do this, but if it's small and inconspicuous enough I would consider it.

gabe90

LCfiner said:
unless I misunderstand you, you're not supposed to use the "media center" setup at all from the 360 with this program. it doesn't replicate a media center extender.

first. start up connect360 on the mac. pick the movie folder you want to share (you can only pick one at a time)

second: go back to the 360. check the system blade/ computers and the 360 should now see your Mac as a new computer. connect to it.

third: under the media blade, change your video or music or picture source (by hitting X) to the new computer you just connected. now you can access all the stuff form your Mac.

this is from memory but it should work just fine.
I just felt really dumb for a second because that is so simple (not that there was any documentation telling me about that) BUT in the system blade, under computers, is says that my console is not connected to a PC with Windows Media Center...

Tobor

gabe90 said:
I just felt really dumb for a second because that is so simple (not that there was any documentation telling me about that) BUT in the system blade, under computers, is says that my console is not connected to a PC with Windows Media Center...

You don't go to the system blade at all. Just go to the media blade hit the x button to change sources and you should see your Mac.

gabe90

Tobor said:
You don't go to the system blade at all. Just go to the media blade hit the x button to change sources and you should see your Mac.
I love the GAF and I love you Tobor and LCfiner. I love you. :)

Top Bottom