• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 not compatable with all HDTVs

bheemer

And so the PS3 HDMI-related problems start. At least for one dude. CheapyD at CheapAssGamer reports that he's been having issues using the PLAYSTATION 3's and an HDMI-capable TV. Here's the part that concerns me: Cheapy and I have the same plasma, Panasonic's Viera. Yet, I haven't hooked up HDMI cables. According to him:

Although everything seemed ok when I was navigating the PS3 menus, once I launched a game, my TV (Panasonic Plasma TH42PX500) would lose the video signal and would not respond for a few moments. Upon regaining control of the TV, if I cycled through my TV's video inputs and came back to HDMI, I would regain the picture. The same problem occured with DVD movies.

click on the link for a movie of the problem.

http://www.******.com/gaming/gizmodo/one-mans-ps3-hdmi-issues-215190.php

bill0527

Wow. And here I thought this was going to be another upscaling bitch fest.

Gonna be an interesting weekend on the internet.

bheemer

the link is blocked out but its on cotakoo (obvious spelling change)

.....com/gaming/gizmodo/one-mans-ps3-hdmi-issues-215190.php

darscot

This is an industry problem. The whole electronics industry needs to get there shit together. They clearly need to put more effort into standards and get some kind of governing body that can enforce the rules. I want to be able to see some kind of a stamp on a product and know it will damn well work. I don't want to see 50 different stamps for 50 different formats.

the sound bit sounds like a bigger issue to me. i wonder, has cheapy tried passing the audio through his TV's optical out if it has one. the other could just be an issue with his TV. no idea if cheapy has used any hdmi stuff on that set before.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
GilloD said:
What's the history with, ahem, THAT site?

In addition to the occasional (and rare) bits of actual news, ****** is a blog that posts streams of crap every day. And people used to make threads about just about any posts. And there's only so many "LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SUPER MARIO CAKE/MASTER CHIEF COSPLAY/SONIC THE HEDGEHOG WALLPAPER" threads one can take.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
darscot said:
This is an industry problem. The whole electronics industry needs to get there shit together. They clearly need to put more effort into standards and get some kind of governing body that can enforce the rules. I want to be able to see some kind of a stamp on a product and know it will damn well work. I don't want to see 50 different stamps for 50 different formats.

I agree to an extent - the HDMI implementation across the board is EXTREMELY haphazard, and using it is far too often a hit-or-miss type scenario. If I had a dollar everytime I had to recalibrate my HDTV to my old cable box (hooked up via HDMI) I'd be able to buy a new plasma. Thankfully my new cable box doesn't have the same problem, but I'm not surprised to see issues with consoles / TVs connected via HDMI.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TheManRoom reports some HDMI handshake issues also, although latterly makes mention of a '"Five-second power button" maneuver' that they think/hope will solve their issues.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
gofreak said:
TheManRoom reports some HDMI handshake issues also, although latterly makes mention of a '"Five-second power button" maneuver' that they think/hope will solve their issues.

There will be more time to tweak and test in the coming days, but at the same time I fear a portion of the overjoyed soon-to-be Playstation 3 owners might be in for a shock when after forking out over $500 for the console plus another upwards of $100 for an HDMI cable yields a glitch that requires trial, error and patience to overcome.

0_o

Mashing

darscot said:

Amen. They need an IEEE like authority.

railGUN

Banned
Jesus Sony... WTF!

I better not have to do any "tricks" or sacrifice surround sound when I hook up my PS3 this spring, or I won't be hooking up a PS3 until it's fixed.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
gofreak said:
Is that the same solution found in the Cheapassgamer link above? Here's what it said:
1. Turn on TV and set input to HDMI port being used.
2. Make sure PS3 is connected via HDMI.
3. Power on PS3 via power button and HOLD IT for 5 seconds (release after the second beep). It should automatically configure your PS3 to the TV's native resolution for all settings.

My video problems were solved, but the solution created an audio complication.

Unfortunately, when you use the auto-setup for HDMI listed above, it configures the PS3 to use HDMI for BOTH video and audio.

I (and I’d guess most other PS3 owners) need to use the optical audio out of the PS3 to connect to my surround sound system.

The bad news is that changing the PS3’s audio settings to optical out will negate the auto-setup that was performed, making it impossible to run HDMI video and make use of the optical audio out when using this auto-setup technique. If your TV and PS3 run fine over HDMI without the use of this auto-setup technique, then you will not encounter this issue.

Since I am relying on the auto-setup for HDMI, this is a major bummer, as I can't run Dolby Digital audio.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
urk said:

Well you know you can get them much much cheaper than that if you don't buy something Monster puts out to cash in on PS3's launch..

XiaNaphryz said:
Is that the same solution found in the Cheapassgamer link above?

Sounds like it. Re. his using optical out with the hdmi, that's what others have reported here on GAF also.

TheKurgan

HDMI Handshake issues are a pain. I have one myself with my HDPVR and my Yamaha Reciever - makes the HDMI switching I paid extra for the reciever almost useless. :( But I am surprised that the PS3 with a direct HDMI connection to a TV has this issue, expecially with Panasonic which is the #1 maker of Plasma's in the world.

Norse

I have a hdmi enabled receiver with pass through....that should fix any issues of not being able to do surround sound. Course if you dont have one of these receivers, you'll need to spend more cash.

Nerevar

GilloD said:
Oh yeah, like that other site. Uh. God, what's it called? Oh yeah, Neo GAF.

yeah, but there's not a single major news site out there that's time enough to take NeoGAF as a source for real news.

... except IGN and Gamespot, of course. :lol

I (and I’d guess most other PS3 owners) need to use the optical audio out of the PS3 to connect to my surround sound system.

The bad news is that changing the PS3’s audio settings to optical out will negate the auto-setup that was performed, making it impossible to run HDMI video and make use of the optical audio out when using this auto-setup technique. If your TV and PS3 run fine over HDMI without the use of this auto-setup technique, then you will not encounter this issue.

Since I am relying on the auto-setup for HDMI, this is a major bummer, as I can't run Dolby Digital audio.

Sounds like this guy bought a cheepskate HDTV without a digital audio out. If your HDTV has a digital output, you don't have this issue. It's not Sony's problem if he experiences a little inconvenience because his TV lacks a feature that all good HDTVs should have.

The lack of digital audio output was the main reason I spent a little more on my TV rather than buying one of the cheaper Westinghouse units. I knew this would be a problem, because I did a tiny amount of research into HDMI. Sometimes you save money and everything works out, but if you don't research, sometimes trying to save money bites you in the rear.

He could run analog out from his TV, or he could wait a bit and upgrade his receiver to one of the 2000000 AV receivers that are coming out that will actually handle HDMI rather than just pass-through.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Most HDTVs in circulation don't have digital audio output. In fact, my Panasonic set has HDMI, but no 720p support.

Sony really shot themselves in the foot w/ this one. Most early adopters are enthusiasts. Most enthusiasts will catch these kind of things.

Norse

Pristine_Condition said:
Sounds like this guy bought a cheepskate HDTV without a digital audio out. If your HDTV has a digital output, you don't have this issue. It's not Sony's problem if he experiences a little inconvenience because his TV lacks a feature that all good HDTVs should have.

The lack of digital audio output was the main reason I spent a little more on my TV rather than buying one of the cheaper Westinghouse units. I knew this would be a problem, because I did a tiny amount of research into HDMI. Sometimes you save money and everything works out, but if you don't research, sometimes trying to save money bites you in the rear.

He could run analog out from his TV, or he could wait a bit and upgrade his receiver to one of the 2000000 AV receivers that are coming out that will actually handle HDMI rather than just pass-through.

Or, the option on the ps3 to have optical out with hdmi video could function correctly. Its in the settings, it should work. Why dost it? Blame sony, not the tv makers.

My HDTV only has an HDCP compliant DVI port. Does anyone know if a HDMI->DVI cable will work on the PS3? The big reason I wonder why, is that with my upscaling DVD player that's currently using the HDMI->DVI cable also uses regular stereo audio cables for sound and that sounds like it's causing problems according to some reports I've read.

Bebpo

Banned
To shoot down some FUD going on in here:

I am running video from PS3 to HDTV using HDMI
I am running audio from PS3 to receiver using optical

Works fine. If you do auto-detect you just say "yes" at "Do you want to use HDMI for video+sound" and then go into system settings and go to AUDIO OUTPUT and tell it to send audio through OPTICAL. The first time you run a game you might not get sound as it seems to take a reset to register the change, but power down and power up again and you should have sound.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
distantmantra said:
My HDTV only has an HDCP compliant DVI port. Does anyone know if a HDMI->DVI cable will work on the PS3? The big reason I wonder why, is that with my upscaling DVD player that's currently using the HDMI->DVI cable also uses regular stereo audio cables for sound and that sounds like it's causing problems according to some reports I've read.

It'll work, sans sound (obviously).

DaCocoBrova said:

But will I be able to run the sound through a regular A/V audio cable? That's what I'm really wondering about. I'm guessing this question won't get answered until the PS3 launches in the states...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bebpo said:

Works fine. If you do auto-detect you just say "yes" at "Do you want to use HDMI for video+sound" and then go into system settings and go to AUDIO OUTPUT and tell it to send audio through OPTICAL. The first time you run a game you might not get sound as it seems to take a reset to register the change, but power down and power up again and you should have sound.

Well that's good to hear. I hope you can direct audio out via the av multi-out too (alongside video over hdmi)..that would suit me perfectly right now if it's possible.

Bebpo

Banned
distantmantra said:
But will I be able to run the sound through a regular A/V audio cable? That's what I'm really wondering about. I'm guessing this question won't get answered until the PS3 launches in the states...

It should work. The PS3 lets you seperately assign what cable handles your video output and what cable handles your audio output. I see no reason why it wouldn't.

gofreak said:
Well that's good to hear. I hope you can direct audio out via the av multi-out too (alongside video over hdmi)..that would suit me perfectly right now if it's possible.

I'm almost 100% sure you can. Under audio output there were several options.

gofreak said:
I'm having the same problem as Dan Bradley over at The Man Room; I also have the same TV. Makes me wonder if it's the TV or the PS3... I haven't yet tried the power button fix, but I'll update once I do.

Bebpo said:
It should work. The PS3 lets you seperately assign what cable handles your video output and what cable handles your audio output. I see no reason why it wouldn't.

That's what I was thinking, but I also wouldn't have been surprised to find out that it doesn't work. Oh well, I need to buy a nice audio setup one of these days. I'm all about high definition picture quality, but regular old stereo sound is good enough for me.

DaCocoBrova said:
Most HDTVs in circulation don't have digital audio output. In fact, my Panasonic set has HDMI, but no 720p support.

Really? Hmm. Every single Samsung and Sony LCD I looked at (and I looked at a lot) has one.

Still, sounds like the "problem" has many solutions anyway.

J-Rzez

Bebpo said:

Thank you... this is the same route I'm going to take as well... HDMI-vid/OPT-sound...

So if you were to initially set up the system without auto-detect, do you have to use the crap cables that came with it, then switch it to HDMI while it's plugged into the set through the XMB I take it?

Bebpo

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Thank you... this is the same route I'm going to take as well... HDMI-vid/OPT-sound...

So if you were to initially set up the system without auto-detect, do you have to use the crap cables that came with it, then switch it to HDMI while it's plugged into the set through the XMB I take it?

No. Just hook in the HDMI and start the machine. It'll show up on the TV and ask if you want to use HDMI for both video&audio. If you're like me you think "no, I want audio for optical" and choose no and then you get a black screen >_< So say "yes" and then you'll have video but no sound (since the sound will be outputting to the HDMI), so then just manually go into audio output options and change the audio to optical.

If you do choose "no" and get a black screen hold the power button down when you turn it on for like 5 secs and it'll auto-detect again and go back to the "Do you want to use HDMI..." question.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
HDMI signals not "communicating" with TVs properly are actually pretty common - as anyone with an upscanning HDMI DVD player can probably attest. It's a digital version of the old VGA "signal not found" error. The trick is to keep a steady amount of data going to the TV to tell the thing a signal is coming in. In the case of the HDMI DVD players, that sometimes means switching channels back and forth. The PS3 if it is doing it, will be super easy to fix with a firmware update. Unlike a DVD player.

And as one of the early posters noted, this is a probelm with some TVs, not all Tvs.

I run my HDMI stuff through my receiver, since the reciever's HDMI out is 100% reliable.

Danj

DaCocoBrova said:

So wait, if you don't have anything that can accept an optical connection, you're screwed if you have a TV with a DVI socket?

Nerevar

Danj said:
So wait, if you don't have anything that can accept an optical connection, you're screwed if you have a TV with a DVI socket?

no, you can select how you want sound to be output. You just have to select "use HDMI for video & sound" at boot-up, then manually change it afterwards to whatever you're using on the AV multi-out (note: I do not own a PS3, just gleaned that from reading this thread).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i noticed last night that my "white screen of snow static" only happens when i use the projectors HDMI connection.

How do i know this? well, my ps3 decided to put the shits up me last night - when i booted, i got no signal. Nothing. I thought "uh oh" - but then it turned out that the PS3 had decided to revert to Component settings (WTF?!) and non-optical sound output.

The picture didn't look too different from HDMI - booted Resitsance - and my snow was gone!

Set everything back to HDMI, booted Resistance... snows back....

weird.

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
i noticed last night that my "white screen of snow static" only happens when i use the projectors HDMI connection.

How do i know this? well, my ps3 decided to put the shits up me last night - when i booted, i got no signal. Nothing. I thought "uh oh" - but then it turned out that the PS3 had decided to revert to Component settings (WTF?!) and non-optical sound output.

The picture didn't look too different from HDMI - booted Resitsance - and my snow was gone!

Set everything back to HDMI, booted Resistance... snows back....

weird.

Btw, I think I get that too. (using HDMI). Whenever I first start a game I get a crazy purple/blue flash of dots everywhere and then a sorta TV-zaps off line and the BAM game loads and it's all good. It seems like using HDMI there is a transition between leaving the XMB and entering the game, which produces crazy video snow.

I've tried the "power button" fix, and it did not solve my issue.

Stinkles - You're exactly right, I was instantly reminded of those very same issues. This is my first experience with HDMI so I wasn't prepared to relive them.

DCharlie - I'm getting snow as well. It'll alternate between flickering and snow. Basically any time the system transitions -- to a menu, to a game, to a setup screen -- one of the two will happen.

For now I'm going to switch over to component, which is hopefully an issue-free implementation.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bebpo said:
Btw, I think I get that too. (using HDMI). Whenever I first start a game I get a crazy purple/blue flash of dots everywhere and then a sorta TV-zaps off line and the BAM game loads and it's all good. It seems like using HDMI there is a transition between leaving the XMB and entering the game, which produces crazy video snow.

I have my PS3 connected via a cheap 2m HDMI cable to a Samsung 720p LCD. Never had that kind of issue. Actually, I dont have any problem at all. HDMI was detected as soon as I connected the system to the TV and turned it on for the first time. Only thing I had to specify manually was the resolution. Start-up one was 480p. Oh, and the Optical audio output. No issue whatsoever.

Xabora

DaCocoBrova said:

Sony really shot themselves in the foot w/ this one. Most early adopters are enthusiasts. Most enthusiasts will catch these kind of things.
Haha, another Tau owner! :D
Altho the Tau line of Panasonic HDTVs are not that old.. altho Panny killed the line back in Dec 2005. :(

Norse

Xabora said:
Haha, another Tau owner! :D
Altho the Tau line of Panasonic HDTVs are not that old.. altho Panny killed the line back in Dec 2005. :(

I think panasonic has updated firmware for their plasmas..check their site...and check avs forums. People there can steer ya to the new firmwares. Maybe that will cure the issues with hdmi and ps3/panny handshake. Worth a try

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Stinkles said:
HDMI signals not "communicating" with TVs properly are actually pretty common - as anyone with an upscanning HDMI DVD player can probably attest. It's a digital version of the old VGA "signal not found" error. The trick is to keep a steady amount of data going to the TV to tell the thing a signal is coming in. In the case of the HDMI DVD players, that sometimes means switching channels back and forth. The PS3 if it is doing it, will be super easy to fix with a firmware update. Unlike a DVD player.

And as one of the early posters noted, this is a probelm with some TVs, not all Tvs.

I run my HDMI stuff through my receiver, since the reciever's HDMI out is 100% reliable.
What receiver are you using, again? I need to upgrade my crappy Onkyo.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
bishoptl said:
What receiver are you using, again? I need to upgrade my crappy Onkyo.

Pioneer Elite VSX74TXVi

106pioneer.jpg

"Turns everything into HDMI" (not a very technical description of what's actually happening, but you get the point) - which is a nice benefit and you can reassign and rename every single input. So my 360 goes in component, comes out HDMI to the TV. Image quality is lovely for native feeds and it even does a beter job than the TV scaling 480i content (even though the instructions claim not to, it does in fact scale it into 480p). It also comes with an iPod adapter that lets you use the iPod connected directly to the receiver, either on the receiver display panel or on your TV.

Xabora

Norse said:
I think panasonic has updated firmware for their plasmas..check their site...and check avs forums. People there can steer ya to the new firmwares. Maybe that will cure the issues with hdmi and ps3/panny handshake. Worth a try
Eh? I don't have a Plasma.
I have Panasonic's latest & last CRT TV Line, The Tau. :/

Pristine_Condition said:

or maybe he's had his hdtv for awhile? dont blame someones purchase on the fact the tv industry keep changing crap.

Top Bottom