• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 pricing in Europe

Ranger X

Marconelly said:
Xbox 360 + tax (+ one game at least for sure?) crossed that magical limit by quite a bit, and is selling pretty fine in Canada.

It's the price before tax that is having an effect. What's written on the price ticket on the shelve. The 499$ for premium 360 still look good --- and actually sell well yeah.

In my opinion, unless Sony has amazing supply in the U.S., Microsoft has the real potential to rip some market share away from them there. They are getting an army of 360s ready for the PS3 launch. If there are PS3 supply issues along with 360 supply along with 360 good games, which there have been some, then Sony loses. Who knows what the true situation is though.

boyshine

Wollan said:
Joa er norsk. Det var prisen pa SpaceWorld. :)
Ah, jeg kjøpte min på Ram&Rom.. Spaceworld er jo ikke akkurat kjent som billigkjede. (Jeg har jobba på 2 av dem). Ikke at Ram&Rom var det heller da.

kikonawa said:
ps2 launched at 540 euro back in 2000 ... so i dont see the problem (well it IS expensive off course :) )
It seems the situation here will be a little different than the PS2 launch: more dangerous competitors, different and more widespread market... and didn't PS2 do bad sales in the first months?

Newduck

I didnt realise the PS2 screwed over europe THAT strongly, the UK price was pretty bad, but i assumed the rest of europe just followed that.

Vashu

kikonawa said:
ps2 launched at 540 euro back in 2000 ... so i dont see the problem (well it IS expensive off course :) )

But the price was cut by roughly 100 Euro in the 2 subsequent months after the launch. Indeed by bad sales in that period.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
PS3 - 500 Euros
1 Extra controller - 50 Euros
1 Game - 70-80 Euros

Total ~630 Euros (equivalent to $770 / £450).

It doesn't matter that the machine can play BlueRay movies and that you can create your own blog through it - that's a heafty dent in the bank balance for most young people who just want to play GT or GTA when they get home from the pub. But it will sell shitloads anyway I'm sure

Wollan

Var ganske positivt overraska av Elkjop nar X360 kom ut ifjor. De hadde en meget lav pris pa den konsollen. Er i Australia for oyeblikket og har allerede PS3 pre-ordra pa EBGames her. Skulle onske jeg kunne vare med pa launchen i Norge men men. Sa lenge jeg far en. :lol

Danj

Ranger X said:
It's the price before tax that is having an effect. What's written on the price ticket on the shelf.

Over here in the UK, price tickets on shelves include VAT (sales tax), so what you see is what you pay.

kikonawa said:

Hu? The Euro has been introduced in 2002.

I don't know how the prices were in the other countries, but in Germany it costed ~900DM (~€460).

Ranger X

Faites-en pas une mode de parler dans votre langue les mecs. C'est un board anglophone ici et nous avons tous le droit de pouvoir vous lire. Merci.

;)

Xrenity

It's a high price, can't deny it.

360 will be about 100-200 euro's cheaper than the PS3 at the time of its launch.
I don't think Sony would get away with a 600 euro console.

Newduck

Its so hard getting an idea of the big picture on this forum, listening to people individually is difficult, cause everyone either deliberately misses out on, or simply forgets pretty big details.

I've flip flopped from "oh thats no so bad" to "its a pretty crap price" about 4 times reading one page of this thread.

Finding out that €500 euro was around PS2 price, to finding out €399 was 360 price, to the fact that the PS2 price was lowered, to finding out he got the PSP price wrong in the first place, making the whole thing pointless.

Vashu

Frankfurter said:
Hu? The Euro has been introduced in 2002.

I don't know how the prices were in the other countries, but in Germany it costed ~900DM (~€460).

In The Netherlands it was 1150 guilders, which is about 520 Euro.

Mrbob

On second thought, I don't believe this info and think Sony is fucking with MS at the moment.

-The system may or may not come with a hdd

-A 'leak' comes out and the system may release at a very high pricepoint

Sony is trying to keep MS off guard.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
TheKingsCrown said:
In my opinion, unless Sony has amazing supply in the U.S., Microsoft has the real potential to rip some market share away from them there. They are getting an army of 360s ready for the PS3 launch. If there are PS3 supply issues along with 360 supply along with 360 good games, which there have been some, then Sony loses. Who knows what the true situation is though.

really? Is that why there aren't any out there now? MS are saving them up? Fucking genious.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The PSP was supposed to be a lot more than what it was when it finally hit stores. I expect $399.99 here in the US. Anything more is crazy talk (I hope).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Reading the last couple of pages..

For those who are doing so, please stop equating 360 with PS3 and trying to derive what would or would not be a reasonable price for PS3. They're not the same system by a fairly wide margin.

Second, a lot of the same people doing the above seem to have a tendancy to make assumptions about what will or won't be valued by consumers - often neatly coinciding with anything 'extra' over 360 - moreover, what will be valued by early adopters who'll pay the price set at launch. You're more than welcome to make up your own mind on that, of course, but generalising it to the everyone else is pretty tricky..

In short, PS3 != 360. PS3 price != 360 price. $499 will be the minimum, IMO.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Mrbob said:
On second thought, I don't believe this info and think Sony is fucking with MS at the moment.

Makes no sense to me. Why would MS care what PS3 is launching with or what the price would be at this point? I think they have their bases covered and traveled that mountain already (Core pack anyone?).

This is more like free press than anything IMO.

Draft

Mrbob said:

what? fucking with them how? it's not like MS is going to adjust their price or do anything drastic until the PS3 is literally on the trucks, heading to Ze Buy Bien or wherever the french get their luxury electronics. MS' cards are already on the table, and there's nothing for them to respond to until Sony actually does something.

gofreak said:
They're not the same system by a fairly wide margin.
But they'll be competing on the same market, together with the Revo. Plus, it seems that except exclusive games, X360 and PS3 will have about the same games line-up, with similar performances. And this will create a situation with three consoles sold by xmas, each one sold at 150 Euros more than the other, and with PS3 being the most expensive. Will this impact consumers decisions? We'll see, it all depends on the presence of strong exclusives on each system, IMHO.

gofreak said:
For those who are doing so, please stop equating 360 with PS3 and trying to derive what would or would not be a reasonable price for PS3. They're not the same system by a fairly wide margin.

I think you'll find that for the average casual consumer they very much are the 'same thing'.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I just love these theories that people are cooking up about how Sony is trying to catch Microsoft offguard. Folks, Microsoft is engaged in a battle with Sony, THE INDUSTRY FUCKING LEADER. It's not like they think they're going up against some kind of rinky-dink operation here. They know that. I know they've been dumb before, but Jesus...

Oh, but if we want to play double/triple entendre, maybe Steve Ballmer rejoicing over the PS3 delay was just a smokescreen to try to give Sony the impression that they were falling for it! OH THE INTRIGUE!

milanbaros

Member?
I know at PS2 launch the general conversion was $1 - £1 but this has since changed. If you heard that it was launching at £299 you would've been right to assume that it would launch at $299 in the US but I think exchange rates have changed that system.

Back when the PS2 launched the exchange rates were $1.45 and $.85 to the pound and euro respectively but since then the $ has weakened roughly 20% against the pound and 40% against the Euro.

I think this change is partly illustrated by the £299 and $299 launch for the PS2 but £279 and $399 launch for the XBOX360.

A 500 euro console may have cost $300 back in 2000 but a similar conversion on exchange rates (40% more expensive in Europe), which I think will become more favourable to Europeans this generation, would cost $420.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
gofreak said:
Second, a lot of the same people doing the above seem to have a tendancy to make assumptions about what will or won't be valued by consumers - often neatly coinciding with anything 'extra' over 360 - moreover, what will be valued by early adopters who'll pay the price set at launch. You're more than welcome to make up your own mind on that, of course, but generalising it to the everyone else is pretty tricky..
What "neatly coincides" with the price of the 360, at least in the US, is the fact that it's already 33% more expensive than highest starting price for the past two generations of successful game hardware. Now we're having a discussion about game hardware that may potentially push to 66% more expensive, $200 more. It doesn't really matter which particular features people think will or won't be valued at that price because it all feeds into the generalization that at such a premium price the mainstream *will* find one or more features simply aren't worth the expense.

You have to look past the first 3-4 months sales of the PS3. I don't know how they'd plan to maintain marketshare or at least Playstation sales trends with a $500 price to ramp down from in the US.

Draft

gofreak said:
Reading the last couple of pages..

see, that is what you hope, as a Sony fan. And it may be true. Of course, it's also quite likely that the guts of both systems are comparable, and extra crap Sony's decided to cram in there (BluRay, dual HDMI, wifi) are adding up to make it much more expensive.

And, as others have said, unless we're talking Playstation vs. 3D0 levels of graphic inequality, joe consumer is going to view X360 and PS3 as opposite sides of the same coin. And if tails costs $200 more dollars...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kaching said:
What "neatly coincides" with the price of the 360, at least in the US, is the fact that it's already 33% more expensive than highest starting price for the past two generations of successful game hardware. Now we're having a discussion about game hardware that may potentially push to 66% more expensive, $200 more. It doesn't really matter which particular features people think will or won't be valued at that price because it all feeds into the generalization that at such a premium price the mainstream *will* find one or more features simply aren't worth the expense.

You have to look past the first 3-4 months sales of the PS3. I don't know how they'd plan to maintain marketshare or at least Playstation sales trends with a $500 price to ramp down from in the US.

I agree that the absolute price at $500/$600 would be expensive, at least for some. I just pointing out the comparison of relative value between the two systems, if you're going to compare them, would make PS3 at anything less than $499 seem quite cheap, relatively speaking.

Draft said:
see, that is what you hope, as a Sony fan. And it may be true. Of course, it's also quite likely that the guts of both systems are comparable, and extra crap Sony's decided to cram in there (BluRay, dual HDMI, wifi) are adding up to make it much more expensive.

I've no doubt it's the 'extra crap', along with Cell. But some of us actually want that 'extra crap'. I think most people who have a HDTV who enjoy games wouldn't mind having a HD movie player to go with it - at all.

I wouldn't want to make any assumptions about joe consumer's behaviour, except that the majority of people lining up in Nov probably won't be joe consumer. And yes, Sony has to ramp down from that initial price, and the higher that is, the longer it'll take for that to happen. Really, it then becomes a test for their marketing.

ninge

I think sony might be seriously underestimating how much people love their DVD players. Most people only got them in the last year or two and the vast majority really dont want to have to replace them now.. if they really plan on riding blue ray to success i think they are gonna be really dissapointed.. especially when that same vast majority wont see any improvement in image quality over DVD on their current TV sets

Newduck

Alot of people wouldnt even see the quality jump between VHS-DVD, i think the format was also successful because due to CD type size and the menu/extra skipping abilities. Of which Blu ray has pretty much zero of a jump.

gofreak said:
I've no doubt it's the 'extra crap', along with Cell. But some of us actually want that 'extra crap'. I think most people who have a HDTV who enjoy games wouldn't mind having a HD movie player to go with it - at all.
So, why let everyone pay the high price of something only "some of us" will want/need? The obvious anwer is that they need to push Blu-Ray more than they want to push PS3, or they simply could have made different choices (forcing games on DVD only and making an optional Blu-Ray SKU, for example).

I wouldn't want to make any assumptions about joe consumer's behaviour, except that the majority of people lining up in Nov probably won't be joe consumer. And yes, Sony has to ramp down from that initial price, and the higher that is, the longer it'll take for that to happen. Really, it then becomes a test for their marketing.
They'll ramp down, like also MS and Nintendo will do in the meanwhile. So they'll always end up having the most expensive console on the market. Will this hurt them/subtract market share? We'll see...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
gofreak said:
Really, it then becomes a test for their marketing.
The test of their marketing is to realize *upfront* that pricing at $500 USD will lose them significant marketshare, and either convince the company not to price that high or to figure out how to make much more revenue off of content sales to make up for it.

Wollan

Spider_Jerusalem said:
So they'll always end up having the most expensive console on the market. Will this hurt them/subtract market share? We'll see...

It really hurt them this gen. :p

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
kaching said:
The test of their marketing is to realize *upfront* that pricing at $500 USD will lose them significant marketshare, and either convince the company not to price that high or to figure out how to make much more revenue off of content sales to make up for it.

Perhaps Sony saw X360's selling on EBAY for $900-$1200 before XMAS and figures they should go ahead and charge a premium. It will sell out at $500-$600 MSRP, but I think $500 is high for a lot of people and more of a bad PR move than a bad price.

Top Bottom