• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 reads game discs; not blu ray movies. HALP!

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Haven't used the Playstation 3 in about a month. Last night I tried to watch a movie with the girlfriend yesterday, and neither of the movies I put in worked.

Tinkered with it a bit more thoroughly today, and its weird. It will read a game disc (tried Uncharted 2 and Ratchet & Clank), and both ran without issue. However, when I try a movie (tried both Layer Cake and The Prestige), I go from loading, to a blue screen saying "waiting for signal", as if I turned off the PS3. When I eject the blu ray disc, I go back to the PS3 "dashboard".

I have a 60gig PS3, connected via HDMI to a Samsung LCD running 1080p.

Any ideas?

noisome07

Banned
stolen from PS Forums

Goto settings at the main menu of the ps3, go to the left to settings, then go down to BD/dvd settings go down to BD 1080p 24hz output and disable it.

Sapiens

I consider myself pretty tech saavy, but the complexity of the modern HD console must be pretty offputting to the mainstream consumer.

I know I stayed away from "HD" TVs/Consoles for a good few years before I jumped in simply because I wanted to avoid buying something that wouldn't be as good as the next model up a year from now.

You know, waiting for the new tech to settle.

Just one of the many reasons why Nintendo has been so prosperous in console land the last 4 years.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
noisome07 said:
stolen from PS Forums

Goto settings at the main menu of the ps3, go to the left to settings, then go down to BD/dvd settings go down to BD 1080p 24hz output and disable it.

Thanks for the stupid-quick reply. Trying that now...

Massa said:
If that doesn't work try options 3 and 4 (restore and rebuild) from the PS3 recovery menu.

Wait. Wouldn't that delete everything I've put on the PS3?

Cheech

I have this issue too, though it's intermittent. Those early gen Blu Ray drives can be problematic. Mine routinely coughs up blood in the middle of movies; not sure if it's the layer change or what.

I'm thinking slim, but I don't want to lose my Demon's Souls saves which are locked to the console hardware IIRC.

h3ro

Sapiens said:
I consider myself pretty tech saavy, but the complexity of the modern HD console must be pretty offputting to the mainstream consumer.

I know I stayed away from "HD" TVs/Consoles for a good few years before I jumped in simply because I wanted to avoid buying something that wouldn't be as good as the next model up a year from now.

Just one of the many reasons why Nintendo has been so prosperous in console land the last 4 years.

:lol

Cheech

mr jones said:
Thanks for the stupid-quick reply. Trying that now...

Yeah, you would lose everything. For what it's worth, I think your Blu Ray drive is physically dying.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sapiens said:

Goddamn it man :lol

Azerach

Banned
Sapiens said:

VHS - the format of the forever, eh?

iceatcs

mr jones said:
You can backup. Some of the savefiles couldn't backup due cheat-protection. (I think few of them)

Sapiens

Azerach said:
VHS - the format of the forever, eh?

VHS still serves a purpose. Not all versions and variants of Segio Georgini's classic five part Zombie epic have been released on DVD yet.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Sapiens said:

lol

Cheech said:
Yeah, you would lose everything. For what it's worth, I think your Blu Ray drive is physically dying.

I'm really hoping that you're very, very wrong.

noisome07 said:
stolen from PS Forums

This worked brilliantly. Thanks, bro. I must ask though: Why would it work before, and not now?

noisome07

Banned
mr jones said:
lol

This worked brilliantly. Thanks, bro. I must ask though: Why would it work before, and not now?

No idea tbh :lol all I did was google "ps3 not reading blu ray movies" and that was the first response, haha

mr jones said:
lol

did you change tv? or turned on the option without noticing?

Top Bottom