• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 shuts down while transferring data to another system?

Has anyone ever had their PS3 shutdown (like a total power shutdown) while doing a data transfer (transfer not complete yet) to another PS3 via an ethernet cable? If this happens, would it affect the data on the original PS3 (data corruption?)? I am going to try to backup my Fat's data on a Slim, but am worried that my dying Fat might kick crap out before the transfer completes.

RobertM said:
Yep happened to me. But it happened after I fixed the YLOD, and then it wouldn't turn on for some time.

Was the data on the original unit still in tact though after it did turn back on?

RobertM

Leshita said:
Was the data on the original unit still in tact though after it did turn back on?
Yeah, it was, although I don't remember if the data actually transfered to the slim; I believe it didn't and then I tried again.

Leshita said:
Has anyone ever had their PS3 shutdown (like a total power shutdown) while doing a data transfer (transfer not complete yet) to another PS3 via an ethernet cable? If this happens, would it affect the data on the original PS3 (data corruption?)? I am going to try to backup my Fat's data on a Slim, but am worried that my dying Fat might kick crap out before the transfer completes.

Did a data transfer 2 days ago (biggest load of shite ever btw if anyones thinking about doing it) one console shutdown before the transfer started as it needs to wipe the hard disk of the PS3 your transfering too, after that they both stayed on, they didnt shutdown when they hit 100% either.

I just finished my data transfer and was pleasantly surprised at how fast it was actually. An hour or less and I had all my files transferred (all my copy-protected saves too) onto a Slim. I did delete most of the large game installed on my old system to speed up the process though. The new system shutdown (or restarted, don't remember exactly) after the transfer was done, while the original system remained on.

I am just glad that I get to keep all my saves (though I did lose some games I shared off of friends). The copy protected files get deleted from your old system right after they are transferred over onto your new system, so I am thinking if my system did shutdown before the full transfer is finished (but after one of these protected files have been transferred already) then I would probably lose that particular copy protected file when I try to do a new data transfer. Crossing my finger with the slim now, hoping it lasts until I get a PS4 at least. :)

It really seems to be hit and miss, the first time I started it was going fine, it hit 49% and stayed there for over 3 hours! Eventually I cancelled, deleted about 10 gig more of game installs and tried again, this time it was done in under 3 hours total.

Top Bottom