• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Shuts Off With Blinking Red Light

SOLDIER

I've been having a problem with my PS3 where my system has been abruptly shutting off, resutling in a blinking red light. This is different from the common yellow light of death, which I also experienced one time before and was replaced by Sony themselves (they weren't clear whether I got a new refurbished console or if they repaired my existing one). I can still turn the system back on after I replug it, but I wanted to see if there was a better fix available.

There seem to be numerous guides and videos out there, the most common one being the "hairdryer fix":

http://youtu.be/ovt_2Bq2ZdU

I was wondering if GAF knew of the most common (and potentially safest/easiest) solution.

And, should no permanent solution exist, I would like to know the cheapest method to replacing the PS3, whether Gamestop or Sony or any other place would offer the best trade-in deal. My system is a phat PS3 with a custom 500gb hard drive. I'd be typically against replacing the system since I still use it for PS2 BC, but I have been interested in the benefits of owning a slim (particularly its quieter fan).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sounds like your system is dying and you'll be getting the YLOD soon enough. I saw these signs before mine died as well.

Geneijin

What's your budget for a new PS3? Or a used PS3 rather if you decided to replace your fat PS3?

I would just replace the thermal paste in your fat PS3 first before you do use a blow dryer. Mess up and you can warp your board if you heat it too long.

SOLDIER

If I had to replace the system, I suppose it depends what trade-in deals there are.

As for thermal paste, what guide would I follow and how hard would it be?

shaneskim

2f0.gif

Ban Puncher

You can take it apart, reflow the motherboard and apply some new thermal paste but you'll be living on borrowed time.

NLlYyZv.jpg

Happened to me...heated it up for a long time with a blow dryer, got it to work for a bit...happened again, did the blowdryer trick again, got it to work long enough to trade it in towards a PS4 when they were running a special last October...you are on borrowed time

SOLDIER

If I were to trade this system in, would I get a better doing it through Gamestop, Sony, or just putting it up on eBay?

Also for reference, what is the most up-to-date model of the PS3, and what are its improvements? Do newer models have built-in WiFi?

Death2494

If you'r e sure it's a system you really wan to keep, I suggest you just go ahead and get it reballed. This is not the same as reflow where you try to reconnect the broken solder points by heating up the board.
Reballing: completely removes the chip, removes any and all old solder on either the CPU or GPU and the board, replace the older solder with brand new solder, and finally solders the CPU or GPU back onto the board.

This will permanently fix your YLOD issue. You PS3 will last from 8-10 more years (at least your chips will). You should check if you there are any local BGA reballing repair shops near you.

I have an original 60 gig phat. These systems have value to them because they backwards compatibility hardware built into them. There was alot of value in the first gen PS3s. Besides you can probably get a reball for around $80-$100. Worth it if you ask me.

If I were to trade this system in, would I get a better doing it through Gamestop, Sony, or just putting it up on eBay?

Also for reference, what is the most up-to-date model of the PS3, and what are its improvements? Do newer models have built-in WiFi?

All models have built in wifi, no?

bluehat9

I opened my old ps3 up twice and did the thermal paste stuff. Its not super hard, first time it lasted a year, but second time only lime 3 months so I got a new slim instead of trying again.

RiZ III

It's dead and you'll have to get a new one. None of the temporary solutions works for more than a few days if at all. My 60gb fat ps3 died last year and I tried all sorts of things including opening and applying new thermal paste but it was all for nothing.

Technically you can get it reballed, but that's actually pretty expensive. Most places offering ps3 repairs will actually just reflow it, make sure to ask them if you go this route. I didn't find any repair shop near me that reballed it. It sucked losing backwards compatibility but alas all things must come to an end.

Unfortunately new ps3s are still pricey but IMO it's not worth getting a used ps3 due to the fact that so many are defective and you don't know what you're getting used. I ended up buying a new one.

Journey

Banned
Does Sony still do out of warranty repairs? I have a 1st gen 80GB PS3 with SACD, BC, 4 front USB ports and media card reader, would rather have it repaired.

Venture

If I had to replace the system, I suppose it depends what trade-in deals there are.

As for thermal paste, what guide would I follow and how hard would it be?
If you ever decide to go the DIY route on your old PS3 this is a great guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

I've used it several times and it usually got me 3 - 6 months of life before my PS3 would die again. As someone mentioned above, get it reballed if you want a more permanent fix.

Top Bottom