• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Slim Ugliest Console Ever or NeoGaf just being NeoGaf?

Zinthar

The problem with the super slim isn't just that the aesthetics of different parts of the console clash horribly with one another (especially the grating on the top rather than leaving it smooth). but that it's also a cheap-feeling piece of crap next to its predecessors, particularly the original phat -- which I really liked, other than it being easy to mistake for a Foreman grill.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
slim >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> launch >> super slim

That matte finish goes a long ways for me.

Big as shit eh?

xl_PS3_PS3_Slim_PS3_Superslim_.jpg
Looks like some weird googly eyed face is reflecting off of the launch model.

Zinthar

I don't hate it. It looks cheap because it is cheap. Fewer moving parts at least means increased reliability.

I've got to question how much reliability factored into this -- slot-loading drives are nothing new and don't have a reputation for failing. If it were a huge problem they'd have changed it in the original slim. Sony also uses them in pretty much all of their Vaio notebooks (typing on an S15 with a slot-loading BD).

Not statistically sound, I know, but has anyone here had the slot-loading mechanism on their drive fail? Don't confuse this with other drive problems, like the very many that Microsoft had with the 360 from using cheap drives (which weren't slot-loading) earlier in the generation.

neptunes

The original PS3 is the second best console design after the PSTwo.

The new slim is an abomination, Sony's industrial design team should be embarrassed.

The PS3 slim 2 looks nice in pictures, but in person it actually looks really cheap and has a really cheap feel to it. The top loading bluray drive feels super low quality compared to the earlier slot loaders.

nib95

Banned
I've loved nearly every Sony console design, but this one is just pants. It's a cheap Chinese knock off looking flimsy piece of crap that looks like it'd fall apart with a simple knock.

synce

If Frito Lay designed a piece of electronics in the 90s, I think it would look a lot like the super slim.

Anteater

I used that handle once because someone tripped over my controller wires and i had to pick up the gamecube from the floor.

Those GC controller cords were short as hell.

Dereck

Am I the only one who never used the handle?
I don't have a reason to carry around a Gamecube by itself with one hand. If I had Gamecube controllers and wires/power cable in a bag the Gamecube would go right in there with them.

Those GC controller cords were short as hell.
Right, I had to buy 6 foot extension cables off of Amazon.

Retro video game console controller cord lengths are a sin, how much more money does it cost to put 6 more feet of cable into a controller. Mah gawd

so did anyone ever follow through with a wood finish?

I kind of did, but I used kitchen drawer liner paper with the woodgrain design, and stuck it on all of the glossy sides, the oval sections on the top and bottom, and the curved bottom section. I originally just did the glossy top sections and the ovals, but it looked much better with the bottom covered as well. The toughest part was trimming the sides straight so that it didn't look like I cut it out with scissors, which I had to use because of no Xacto knife around. I couldn't wrap the paper around the entire front like the image shown because of the button bar on the front.

I did this before the console skins sites started carrying woodgrain skins for the superslim console.

I kind of did, but I used kitchen drawer liner paper with the woodgrain design, and stuck it on all of the glossy sides, the oval sections on the top and bottom, and the curved bottom section. I originally just did the glossy top sections and the ovals, but it looked much better with the bottom covered as well. The toughest part was trimming the sides straight so that it didn't look like I cut it out with scissors, which I had to use because of no Xacto knife around. I couldn't wrap the paper around the entire front like the image shown because of the button bar on the front.

I did this before the console skins sites started carrying woodgrain skins for the superslim console.

I really like this. If I ever buy the super slim I'm doing that.

Edit:
The link you posted to the decalgirl woodgrain skins... they have the grain going the wrong way. Yours looks way better.

The only thing that's bad about it really, is the tacky, cheap plastic and mechanics of the top loading slide cover. Evokes that look less in white I think.

Oh, zombie thread.

surly

Banned
I don't think it's the ugliest console ever, but I don't like how Sony make their consoles cheaper and nastier as time goes on. Obviously I understand why they do it, but it's not good for me as a consumer. I'd rather have a "fat" PS3 over a Slim and I'd rather have a Slim over a Super Slim.

Afrikan

WOW great job man. I'll be honest, I didn't expect someone to respond. I bet some at AVSforums would love the look of your version.

Thanks guys :) It was easier to do than I expected.

What is nice about the drawer liner paper is that the adhesive won't leave any residue or extra glue on the plastic if you peel it off, yet it's sticky enough that it won't slide around on the plastic. If you screw up or are tired of the design, you can just peel it off without needing to clean the plastic.

The glossy sections on top are held on to the console by tabs (shown here on Step 8) so you could just pop them out, stick them onto liner, cut to trim along the sides and pop them back into the system. One small warning though: the tabs are small and fragile, so don't be surprised if at least one of them is cracked upon removal.

The oval side next to the power button can also be removed by sliding it out towards the front. I stuck that on the liner to cut out. The other oval is the exact same size, so I cut another one out from the first one and carefully placed it on there. Then I cut the small hole for the stand.

The hardest part was the curved bottom. I cut out an over-sized L-shape piece and stuck it on the bottom, then used the end of a scissor blade (again, I had no Xacto knife) to trim the inner edges. After that, I trimmed the other edges with the scissors to finish it off. The back looks a bit sloppy, but no one will look there.

Home Depot is your best bet on finding the woodgrain liner or other designs.

I have a red one. It's not really as much of an eyesore as people make it out to be, and I don't
hate the top loader as much as I thought I would.

sunnz

So I just got a new ps3 ( SS) as my blu ray died for my old one and honestly, I think it's a pretty good looking console.

For starters it's ridiculously smaller than the original 40 gb fat one I have which alone how the console looks pointless BUT it still looks pretty good.

8/10 for looks. I prefer the design over my previous xbox 360 slim too ( but original 360 and ps3 I prefer by a small margin)

It being a top loader is a bit annoying but better than the disk tray for the 360 IMO ( if only it was like the ps3, slides in)

Top Bottom