• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Under $400 in Japan?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Jonnyram said:
Is PS3 WiFi-compatible out of the box?
What exactly is included? I haven't been keeping up, to be honest.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PressReleases.aspx?id=279

Storage HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
I/O USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1
Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3
(input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
Controller Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP®)
Network (over IP)

If you look closely at THIS PICTURE OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 HARDWARE you will see the following logos, from left to right:

HDMI, Wi-fi,Bluetooth,the dts logo (covers all dts tech) the Dolby Digital logo (covers all Dolby Digital tech), Compact Disk, Super Audio CD, DVD-ROM, DVD Video, Blu-ray disk

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
this is all based on IFs and Maybes though - i don't see how anyone can make a call either way to be honest.

Well, the $99 wi-fi is a fact. It's in the spec sheets for the PS3 and it's definitely being sold seperately on the X360. I'll give you that the rest is still too early too tell. But we're just going on the idea that if PS3=X360 price when they launch.

Sonys controllers are all going to be wifi are they not? if anything, wouldn't that make the only choice you have for controller more expensive?

I'm under the impression there will be wired USB controllers on the PS3.

Also, I believe the HDD is an add on - how much for that? etc etc...

Very true, but the HDD business is still too much of an unknown at the moment in terms of Sony's stance. There are 4 scenarios with sub-scenarios:

1. No HDD and the system is $399. (Same price as equivilant X360)
--A. You have to buy a $99 harddrive from Sony. Thus this negates the $99 wireless advantage.
--B. They just decide to ignore the HDD issue altogether and not make one with no games supporting it. In this scenario you can't really count HDD inclusion in the X360 anymore than Blu-Ray in the PS3.

2. HDD is packed in with the system at $399 (Now you're $100 less than the equivilant X360)

3. No HDD and the system is $299. (Now you're $100 less than the equivilant X360)
--Same two sub-scenarios as above but the $99 wi-fi difference is still in effect if you have to buy a HDD and bump the system price up to the X360 premium pack price.

4. HDD is packed in with the system at $299 (Now you're $200 less than the equivilant X360)
--Almost certainly impossible, but it's always a possiblity.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
_IF_ sony are aiming for a WW Launch, then i don't think the US will get a cheaper unit.

Look at the PSP.

$249 in the US
26800 yen in Japan
€249 in europe

Japan has the cheapest unit, Europe has the most expensive.

Anyways, know one knows how this will work out. Only thing that seems a cert is the poor euros taking it up the chuff.

Shompola

Banned
It has three ethernet ports? Was the rumour about it working as a switch debunked or was it true? I cant remember the details about it.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Shompola said:
It has three ethernet ports? Was the rumour about it working as a switch debunked or was it true? I cant remember the details about it.

God what a bad rumor that was....

Here are the chain of events...

May 2005-PS3 is introduced at E3 with 2 in/1out Gbit Ethernet and King Kenny K. goes on stage and says "PS3 will include built-in Gigabit Ethernet Switching Hub"....

June 2005, King Kenny is interviewed by a japanese publication called Nikkei Electronics....they ask him to give some backstory on the development of PS3....he does, but he also states that at one time during the development of PLAYSTATION 3 (as in before E3 2005) there was a plan to include router functionality in the console but that plan was later (but still before E3 2005) dropped since the costs would be too high...

July 2005, 1up.com's Jane Pinkard and Co. misinterpret the japanese interview (actually it was @ gamebiz) and lambasts SCEI for "dropping router functions" from PS3.....boldly states "this is just like Sony to promise one thing and then do another" (meanwhile failing to check her facts and not realizing PS3 never had Router functions at E3 to begin with...oy vay!)......and round and round the rumor went...

2 days later-IGN posed a retracting article correcting the mistake....you can READ IT HERE.....of course, this rumor still exists throughout the internet.....partially because TXB will only accept the first version of the news and not the correction :D

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Jonnyram said:
Groovy.
So no HDMI cables packed in? You need two for 1080P, right? I wonder how much that will cost.

Only one HDMI cable is needed for 1080p(HDMI 1.1 and up).....PS3 can send 2 different 1080p video signals per HDMI out (in theory)...

A 2 meter HDMI cable will cost you a whopping $9 USD:

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&partno=01752&rsite=y.01752

Since it is all digital, more expensive HDMI cables wont net you better performance (again, in theory)....they are similar to Toslink digital audio cables in that regard....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
1080p is bollocks anyway. Even direct view sets <50" probably won't benefit over 720p native sets. 1080p is for front projection nirvana. (trying desparately to justify my recent purchase of a 720p TV).

As for the rest, they'll charge what they can. They'll clearly try and get as much out of the market as it'll stand. MS have now increased the 'acceptable' charge for entering the next gen to $400, so no reason for Sony to not come in at that price. It only sold at $300 because it felt it had to - now it has some flexibility.

Doesn't matter what MS do. Even if they drop their price Sony still have the 'newer, more powerful, premium blah blah' message. Which strangely seems to work.

So, $400 for me.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

I hope there are Win Free PS3 contests.

pcostabel

Gold Member
HomerSimpson-Man said:
$399

So it's...

PS3:
Blu-ray
BC with PS1/2 games.
Wifi right out of the box.
HDMI
1080p
USB/MS/SD (no need to buy expensive proprietary memory card)
Bluetooth

X360:
Harddrive
limited BC

fixed

If PS3 can accept a standard hard drive, that would be a really, really nice plus in my book....

If after the PS2 'hd loader' and PSP Memory stick piracy fests, Sony is fucking retarded enough to use standard hard drives, I'll laugh my way all the giant monster DivX video server that I build after they get hacked. Sony's movie division is going to shit their pants to see non-DRM high-def movie formats running on their own 'media server'.

Game 'piracy', homebrew, and movie 'piracy' all go together these days, and supporting standard mass-media formats is always going to make it much easier.

Flo_Evans

you guys with your spec comparisons are looking at it the wrong way.

its:

PS3

MGS4
GT5
ect...

vs.

X360

kameo
pgr3
ect...

price/features are irrelevant :)

pestul

Flo_Evans said:

its:

PS3

MGS4
GT5
ect...

vs.

X360

kameo
pgr3
ect...

So it's fair to compare games that will be launch titles with ones that clearly will not be?

Flo_Evans

pestul said:
So it's fair to compare games that will be launch titles with ones that clearly will not be?

no, its fair to compare announced games for both systems and decide wich will have more of the games you are intrested in. You could easily list Halo3 for the x360 side if it was a game you are intrested in. I could give a rats ass wich one has the most USB ports. I buy a console to play games. Or if you like the games on both, buy both! It's not like they are comming out on the same day.

Mrbob

Flo_Evans said:

its:

PS3

MGS4
GT5
ect...

vs.

X360

kameo
pgr3
ect...

Heavenly Sword. I-8. More than just sequels to be excited about PS3! :D

I'm hoping we got some new info tommorrow.

Zweisy1

Great news if true. Might make me get one at launch even.

Hopefully this doesnt mean shit build quality though.. Playstation line hasn't been exactly great on that front.

chinch

Tenacious-V Redux
given the fact that PS3 production will be limited AND it will 100% sell out for the first 6+ months of production as it ramps up...

there is absolutely no reason to create a price war anytime soon.

I'd liek to see a $199 PS3 but they'd be stupid to launch at $299 or $350 from a business standpoint given the above facts.

Mrbob

chinch said:
given the fact that PS3 production will be limited AND it will 100% sell out for the first 6+ months of production as it ramps up...

there is absolutely no reason to create a price war anytime soon.

I'd liek to see a $199 PS3 but they'd be stupid to launch at $299 or $350 from a business standpoint given the above facts.

What price war would there be? Sony could hold on the $299 price point for a long time like the PS2.

Mrbob said:
Heavenly Sword. I-8. More than just sequels to be excited about PS3! :D

I'm hoping we got some new info tommorrow.

We haven't seen either of those game sin some time. Can't wait to see what they look like again (probably will be CES).

chinch

Tenacious-V Redux
Mrbob said:
What price war would there be? Sony could hold on the $299 price point for a long time like the PS2.
price war with themselves and angry shareholders.

ps2 comparisons are irrelevant in 2006.

CamHostage

Gek54 said:
Was the PSP cheaper in the US?

Not exactly. The Yen-Dollar exchange rates went bananas since PS2, and is still all over the place. PSP was $250 US and I think 24,800 yen (which, after exchange today, is $215 ... it's actually cheaper to buy a Japanese PSP, Value Pack and all.)

I don't have a doubt that PS3 will hit $299. Sony loves that number, and it loves Sony. Everybody thought that it was going to be impossible to hit it with PS2 with all that it had, and while Blu-Ray is so new and odd that it's hard to say how much a hit they're taking at that price, I can't imagine Sony not eager to make that price. Then again, I was convinced of $199 for PSP's release in America, and that didn't happen...but this is a different beast.

However, my thought is that they may do a 2-prong release, like Xbox 360 -- hopefully, with a smarter feature set and less crippling on the game end (say, for instance, no HDD in the main pack -- PS2 owners are used to not having it, and with XBox 360 leaving it optional, more games will be developed with no-HDD in mind -- but then maybe the HDD pack includes a full TIVO-like media recorder to make you get the drive.) PSX was a failed experiment, but it seemed like a good idea if the price had been right and the timing hadn't been so late in the PS2 cycle.

Top Bottom