• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Web Browser Discussion - big upgrade rumoured for long time, but no concrete news

jeff_rigby

Banned
Aug 7, 2010
3,825
0
0
Florida
It was a direct quote of the author of the Article. And it's shelved not halted. The original quote I cite in this thread is deferred.

This is where errors occur.

The interviewee, Hirai Kazuo, said PS4 development: "deferred"
Hiroshige Goto, the author said: "shelved"
And you said: "halted"

You are not alone, several well respected on-line articles incorrectly interpreted the Google translation.
 

jeff_rigby

Banned
Aug 7, 2010
3,825
0
0
Florida
DarkUSS said:
And how do they possibly know that?
Don't know, it was in the quote:

 SCE and Microsoft, IBM for one another, dimly seen through the different situations have been encountered with scissors game. Microsoft side also, the direction of the next generation, there is considerable confusion as the first next-generation hardware that Microsoft had been told to reconsider whether to even sales. For example, is said to have been discussed at the board level as well as how to feed. Microsoft also is running as a plan, not very advanced stage.

 In other words, SCE is also Microsoft also last year (2010) in the later stages of planning, next generation game consoles freeze, which had continued to pretty. Both companies make no signs of generational change now that the strategy focused on current machines.
 

jeff_rigby

Banned
Aug 7, 2010
3,825
0
0
Florida
AndyD said:
While I love it, it can use a few changes in the media columns. Options for display patterns if nothing else.

For example I like the new display matrix for pictures and I wish it was similar for movies and games too. Show a lot of box arts all at once. Or all videos in a folder in one moving wall of movies. Same for the various streaming apps, netflix, nhk, mlb, hulu, vudu, too many slots taken vertically.

Also add group editing. And auto-game sorting options. Genre, rating (from xmb not store then syncs to store), platform...

And what i really want is a media organizer with internet support. XMBC style. Let me organize both a DLNA server content, local hard drive content and external USB drive conntent all in one nice big interface with cover art, actors, info imdb style. Same for music.
Yes, yes, yes, especially the media organizer. The PS3 is missing many of the software tools to create a Media organizer. With webkit comes SQLite, a relational database. This was another disagreement I had with Shifty. I made that comment and he stated that it can be done now by including the open source SQLite library inside the application. He's correct here but it will be easier after the webkit port. This will probably be an application ported through PS Suite to all platforms. At least I hope so.

thruway said:
I agree with shelving the console. Currently the best PC specs still leave a lot to be desired. With diminishing returns as they are, it would be stupid to release anything other than a "special edition" PS3.5 as a stop gap until the true PS4.
Yes....with just a little more processing power and a little more fast memory the PS3 can do 1080P without compromise. Will Sony create a PS3.5?

From Sony comments, they will never provide an upgrade that will obsolete older PS3 hardware.

"diminishing returns" Looks like you are up on this too. Prior to this generation GPUs each iteration had almost a 10 times increase in performance. It's now linear and multiple GPUs and CPUs are being used rather than a faster newer design. These new GPUs now have on chip memory rather than relying exclusively on a common pool.

Processes are being used to decrease common memory useage and increase bandwidth. Tile Based Differed Rendering is one of them. Two of the new PS3 game engine designs are using some process that reminded me of the TBDR used by the NGP GPUs.

And we are off topic.....it's easy to do and on B3D half the posters here would have been banned including me <grin>.
 

Ellis Kim

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
3,407
0
0
Bay Area, CA
Youtube - http://ps3youtube.com/

Its great for downloading trailers :D

Ontopic: With consideration over the approach they're taking towards NGP's GUI, I hope that the next firmware overhaul (if there even will be one) will address the poor PS Move implementation that is currently in place with the XMB and browser.
 

RyanDG

Member
Mar 26, 2007
4,030
0
0
jeff_rigby said:
It was a direct quote of the author of the Article. And it's shelved not halted. The original quote I cite in this thread is deferred.

This is where errors occur.

The interviewee, Hirai Kazuo, said PS4 development: "deferred"
Hiroshige Goto, the author said: "shelved"
And you said: "halted"

You are not alone, several well respected on-line articles incorrectly interpreted the Google translation.

I'm not seeing anything in the original article that refers to the PS4's development being deferred, shelved, or halted. I will admit that my Japanese is extremely rusty (I'm way out of practice), but I'm just not seeing it. If you don't mind, can you quote the original Japanese text that you are getting this interpretation from rather than the google translation?
 

Ashes

Member
Dec 11, 2008
23,380
0
965
Greater London
jling84 said:
The web brower could be 1000x better than anything we've ever seen on the PC and I would still not use it.
1000x better would mean that it would load through a mind control device. I would think sentences, and it would type them into gaf, and of course gaf would not only work but never crash, and everytime you logged on, you would get one internet cookie.
 
Jan 12, 2007
61,086
0
0
Toronto, ON. Canada
PsychoRaven said:
I'm with you. I have a PC to do my damn web browsing. I buy my game consoles for watching movies and games.
Does not compute.

Ever heard of Browser-based games?
Ever heard of Browser-based movie services?
Hulu?
YouTube at 1080p?
Justin.TV?
Ustream?

I guess some people don't like choices or the ability to browse the web in comfort of their living room.

If I was given a choice of turning on the PC and browsing the web or turning on the PS3 and browsing the web, and if PS3's browser was on par with PC's, then I would definitely use PS3 just cause it's that bit faster to access than any PC in the world.

PS3 boot to browser: 15 seconds
PC boot to browser: 1 minute - 5 minute depending on what PC you have.
 

Emitan

Member
Jun 26, 2008
39,765
2
0
shagg_187 said:
Does not compute.

Ever heard of Browser-based games?
Ever heard of Browser-based movie services?
Hulu?
YouTube at 1080p?
Justin.TV?
Ustream?
Hulu would be blocked unless the new browser supports user agent editing.
 

Speevy

Banned
Jun 26, 2004
62,861
1
0
My browser is still giving me the gibberish when I view this site. Tried multiple things, no avail.
 

hawkshockey11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
2,161
0
0
Speevy said:
My browser is still giving me the gibberish when I view this site. Tried multiple things, no avail.
There is a work around. Just Google search for a known thread (like this one) and then it will not give you a wall of garbage text. You can then navigate using the "gaming" and "off topic" tabs.
 

PsychoRaven

Member
Feb 24, 2005
21,529
0
0
40
the psych ward
www.twitch.tv
shagg_187 said:
Does not compute.

Ever heard of Browser-based games?
Ever heard of Browser-based movie services?
Hulu?
YouTube at 1080p?
Justin.TV?
Ustream?

I guess some people don't like choices or the ability to browse the web in comfort of their living room.

If I was given a choice of turning on the PC and browsing the web or turning on the PS3 and browsing the web, and if PS3's browser was on par with PC's, then I would definitely use PS3 just cause it's that bit faster to access than any PC in the world.

PS3 boot to browser: 15 seconds
PC boot to browser: 1 minute - 5 minute depending on what PC you have.
Um you must have a very very shity computer for it to take a minute to 5 minutes to boot up and get into your browser. I haven't seen a PC that takes longer then 30 seconds to a minute in oh about 5 years at least. I know it comes as a shock expecting my PC to do PC things and my console to do console things like playing games etc. I know right. Who would have thought that I bought each to do their jobs?

Also if I'm so desperate to see things i can do on my pc on my tv I can buy a cheap ass cable and hook it right into my tv. It's not that hard.
 

AndyD

aka andydumi
Jan 24, 2007
19,100
0
0
Nashville, USA
hawkshockey11 said:
There is a work around. Just Google search for a known thread (like this one) and then it will not give you a wall of garbage text. You can then navigate using the "gaming" and "off topic" tabs.
Right. This used to happen to some PC browsers as well. I forget what the glitch is exactly but I thought someone said its a GAF issue not browser issue.
 

brohmbel

Member
May 12, 2009
876
546
985
shagg_187 said:
If I was given a choice of turning on the PC and browsing the web or turning on the PS3 and browsing the web, and if PS3's browser was on par with PC's, then I would definitely use PS3 just cause it's that bit faster to access than any PC in the world.

PS3 boot to browser: 15 seconds
PC boot to browser: 1 minute - 5 minute depending on what PC you have.
You might want to add:
PC wake from hibernation to browser: 10 seconds
PC wake from sleep to browser: near instantaneous
 

H_Prestige

Banned
Aug 2, 2008
15,476
0
0
brohmbel said:
You might want to add:
PC wake from hibernation to browser: 10 seconds
PC wake from sleep to browser: near instantaneous
Also, with a computer you can be on the internet AND play ps3 games at the same time. Kind of impossible to do that with the ps3 browser.
 
Jan 12, 2007
61,086
0
0
Toronto, ON. Canada
H_Prestige said:
Also, with a computer you can be on the internet AND play ps3 games at the same time. Kind of impossible to do that with the ps3 browser.
Do remember that my post was a response to him agreeing with a guy saying that PS3 browser 1000x better will be of no use. I'm sure in the hypothetical world that PS3 browser can be accessible via in-game XMB.

PsychoRaven said:
Um you must have a very very shity computer for it to take a minute to 5 minutes to boot up and get into your browser. I haven't seen a PC that takes longer then 30 seconds to a minute in oh about 5 years at least. I know it comes as a shock expecting my PC to do PC things and my console to do console things like playing games etc. I know right. Who would have thought that I bought each to do their jobs?

Also if I'm so desperate to see things i can do on my pc on my tv I can buy a cheap ass cable and hook it right into my tv. It's not that hard.
Please time your computer the next time it starts and see how long it takes you from startup to browser. That said, I don't have a very shitty computer (thank you) and no matter how fast your computer is, boot-up time will always be longer than booting up PS3. Don't tell me you have never used or seen anyone's computer that takes shitload of time cause they have so many useless software running during startup? You must live in a utopian society to not experience that. Also, why hit me with sarcastic attacks? I'm sure it comes as a shock expecting a full-fledged browser to be just as useful in a console than on a PC. On and not everyone has their PC and PS3 in the same room to hook a cheap ass cable. I know right. Who would have thought that living room and bedroom can be floors apart in a two-storey house?

It's a feature that not everyone will use but improving it will provide a lot of usage for people who want to surf web in the comfort of their living room.
 

CamHostage

Member
Sep 30, 2004
5,454
106
1,475
Ellis Kim said:
Youtube - http://ps3youtube.com/

Its great for downloading trailers :D
Thanks for this! The site is kinda klunky but pretty handy for downloading. I like the interface of Youtube XL just fine but they don't seem to allow better than 240p streaming with PS3, so pathetic. There used to be a PSP site that did something like this where it offered compatible streams to rip but I never really found it very useful (I have a modded PSP with PSPtube so that does me even better.)

And yeah, a console browser is never going to beat a dedicated PC, but it's a nice thing to have for those that use it. Especially with NGP and 3DS, they should be able to let you browse a FAQ or post on GAF about a game just by hitting pause, that's not only awesome but very evolutionary. My DLNA-equipped, BD-playing PS3 is the centerpiece of my media use and every time I have to get up and go to another room and turn on my PC in order to google some actress or watch a clip I was just reminded of, it's frustrating considering I know my PS3 (or Xbox 360 for that matter) can do all this but is slow to support. I guess maybe I just need to forget about my PlayStation and just upgrade my phone...
 

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Apr 14, 2009
3,563
0
0
I just want full Vimeo and YouTube support and I'll be set.
 

DrXym

Member
Feb 10, 2007
2,601
0
885
It would be nice if it got changed to webkit though I expect the old browser engine would moulder on in some form to support the few games / apps that use it to render content.
 

jeff_rigby

Banned
Aug 7, 2010
3,825
0
0
Florida
Ellis Kim said:
Youtube - http://ps3youtube.com/

Its great for downloading trailers :D

Ontopic: With consideration over the approach they're taking towards NGP's GUI, I hope that the next firmware overhaul (if there even will be one) will address the poor PS Move implementation that is currently in place with the XMB and browser.
I'm slightly over my head here but I don't think there is support for "surface management" AKA windows support in the XMB or Netfront browser.

Good news, apparently there is more webkit or webkit support in the PS3 as of PS3 firmware 3.56 as the Netflix application dropped from 21 megs to 18 megs. Netflix is using QT Webkit, a hybrid webkit toolkit and "C" library extension. Max size on a POSIX (linux) system is 21 megs which was the Netflix release size. Now at 18 megs some 3 megs of "C" library extensions to a basic OS "C" library of routines or Webkit tool kit has been removed from the application. Probably because it duplicated code now in the PS3.

This is what happened to MLB, after PS3 firmware 3.5 the firmware update required for MLB reduced it's size by 7 megs which is the average size of a HTML5 javascript engine.
 

androvsky

Member
Sep 19, 2007
7,940
1
895
jeff_rigby said:
I'm slightly over my head here but I don't think there is support for "surface management" AKA windows support in the XMB or Netfront browser.

Good news, apparently there is more webkit or webkit support in the PS3 as of PS3 firmware 3.56 as the Netflix application dropped from 21 megs to 18 megs. Netflix is using QT Webkit, a hybrid webkit toolkit and "C" library extension. Max size on a POSIX (linux) system is 21 megs which was the Netflix release size. Now at 18 megs some 3 megs of "C" library extensions to a basic OS "C" library of routines or Webkit tool kit has been removed from the application. Probably because it duplicated code now in the PS3.

This is what happened to MLB, after PS3 firmware 3.5 the firmware update required for MLB reduced it's size by 7 megs which is the average size of a HTML5 javascript engine.
Max size of what is 21 MB on a POSIX system?
 

jeff_rigby

Banned
Aug 7, 2010
3,825
0
0
Florida
androvsky said:
Max size of what is 21 MB on a POSIX system?
QT Webkit max size. I.E. with ALL the "C" library includes and All the webkit toolkit is 21 megs on a linux platform which is what the PS3 uses as it's base kernel.

http://www.fosdem.org/2011/interview/kenneth-rohde-christiansen

Qt WebKit is a very powerful engine, and it is quite easy to embed web usage in your apps. It even spots a hybrid approach where you can extend the engine from C++, so that you can access your C++ methods from the web view runtime. Quite powerful and used a.o. by Netflix on the Roku and the PS3, using a custom port.
This is what Netflix was referring to when they said they ported webkit to the PS3. It's really a webkit toolkit not the whole browser. QT is a library of "C"++" calls to support cross platform applications. QT Webkit is a hybrid combination of Webkit and "C" library to support cross platform web applications like Netflix.

It is generally used on embedded devices like TVs or phones (Nokia) that have NO extended OS support needed by webkit or applications. As Sony includes Open Source OS libraries to support webkit, parts of the Netflix application become redundant.

Size of Netflix application before PS3 firmware 3.56 = 21 megs
Size of Netflix application after upgrade required by PS3 firmware 3.56 = 18 megs
Size of Netflix application after upgrade required by PS3 firmware 3.61 = 16 megs

The Qt WebKit Integration is an integration of WebKit with Qt. It provides an HTML browser engine that makes it easy to run web apps or embed web content into Qt applications. It supports modern web standards for excellent web compliance and compelling user experiences.


All we can take from this is the on-going port of Webkit to the PS3 is supported by the Netflix applications dropping in Size. 3.55 and 3.56 weren't just updates to prevent hacking.

GDC confirmed the PS3 and NGP are going to use many of the same open source libraries. Since NGP already has a browser (at least the icon now) the same libraries will be ported to the PS3 to support webkit.

Also the NGP and PS3 will have the same PSGL and low level programmable shader library support. Android is going to this or something similar with Android 2.3 and 3. It's a more powerful desktop PC GPU model for games.
 

Crisis

Banned
Feb 12, 2006
7,862
0
0
jeff_rigby said:
Bro, can you please stop bumping this? Every time it gets bumped I hope it's not by you and they've got some kind of announcement to make.
 

Shambles

Member
Dec 5, 2008
5,350
0
0
Crisis said:
Bro, can you please stop bumping this? Every time it gets bumped I hope it's not by you and they've got some kind of announcement to make.
Saved for posterity. I think you'd be a lot more happy if you started your own internet that only you would be on.
 

jeff_rigby

Banned
Aug 7, 2010
3,825
0
0
Florida
Crisis said:
Bro, can you please stop bumping this? Every time it gets bumped I hope it's not by you and they've got some kind of announcement to make.
It's a huge job to port webkit to the PS3 because it's missing the OS libraries needed to support webkit. There is also that I believe Sony is, at the same time, providing new features to allow the NGP, PS3 and Android platforms to play nice together.

I believe the PS3 is going to be the base of a Sony ecosystem in the home. This is a huge deal for Sony.

Webkit in the PS3 should be done before the S1 release in September. Optimally, for business reasons, it should be done by E3 (June 7-9, 2011). Sony may rely on the webkit release rather than a PS3 price reduction for their slow season.

So assume NO announcement before E3.
 

jeff_rigby

Banned
Aug 7, 2010
3,825
0
0
Florida
Noisepurge said:
People should read the bumping etiquette we have here... so much false hope! :D
I've been puzzling how my posts could be false hope after November when we got confirmation that a Webkit browser is being ported to the PS3 and is partially active as of October 2010 with a HTML5 webkit javascript engine.

http://downloads.snei-opensource.com/pub/webkit/webkit-10.10.01-14fd0bd2/

Index of /pub/webkit/webkit-10.10.01-14fd0bd2


ps3-compat-headers-10.10.01-14fd0bd2.tar.gz 19-Oct-2010 12:37 3.2K
ps3-exports-10.10.01-14fd0bd2.tar.gz 19-Oct-2010 12:37 2.2K
webkit-10.10.01-14fd0bd2-SHA1SUM 11-Nov-2010 14:00 355
webkit-10.10.01-14fd0bd2.tar.gz 19-Oct-2010 12:37 341M
webkit-patches-10.10.01-14fd0bd2.tar.gz 19-Oct-2010 12:37 90K
Go to the link and read the headers. Understand and read on what a GNU Open Source license requires Sony to do to use webkit code. Unfortunately the last update to the GNU required website declarations is: 11-Nov-2010. I don't know when (how long after the fact) Sony is required to disclose their use of the code for the new webkit updates after Nov 12, 2010.
 

kurtrussell

Banned
Oct 21, 2010
2,559
0
0
When they say "upgrade", they really mean "security upgrade", which translates to "to protect user's security, we have decided to remove the browser functionality. If you wish to continue using the browser, please note that you may not be able to play the latest PS3 software or use the PS3 store".
 

kurtrussell

Banned
Oct 21, 2010
2,559
0
0
jeff_rigby said:
Go to the link and read the headers. Understand and read on what a GNU Open Source license requires Sony to do to use webkit code. Unfortunately the last update to the GNU required website declarations is: 11-Nov-2010. I don't know when (how long after the fact) Sony is required to disclose their use of the code for the new webkit updates after Nov 12, 2010.
All that Sony would need to do to conform with the GPL is offer up the original source code for webkit, and patches of any changes they made to it. That's pretty much it, really.
 

Massa

Member
Jan 16, 2009
16,846
1
0
jeff_rigby said:
I've been puzzling how my posts could be false hope after November when we got confirmation that a Webkit browser is being ported to the PS3 and is partially active as of October 2010 with a HTML5 webkit javascript engine.

http://downloads.snei-opensource.com/pub/webkit/webkit-10.10.01-14fd0bd2/


Go to the link and read the headers. Understand and read on what a GNU Open Source license requires Sony to do to use webkit code. Unfortunately the last update to the GNU required website declarations is: 11-Nov-2010. I don't know when (how long after the fact) Sony is required to disclose their use of the code for the new webkit updates after Nov 12, 2010.
Sony is not required to disclose anything about building a web browser based on WebKit. They're only required to do that once they actually distribute a product based on WebKit - at which point the license requires them to make the source code of their modifications to WebKit in that product available to everyone.
 

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
May 26, 2007
1,382
2
1,275
UK
dude, everytime you write "C" like that, I expect to see extern in front of it.
 

jeff_rigby

Banned
Aug 7, 2010
3,825
0
0
Florida
Massa said:
Sony is not required to disclose anything about building a web browser based on WebKit. They're only required to do that once they actually distribute a product based on WebKit - at which point the license requires them to make the source code of their modifications to WebKit in that product available to everyone.
Sony took 1 month and 12 days to post after distributing a part of Webkit (javascript engine).

Webkit can be separated and used in discrete parts, you don't need to have a complete webkit backend to use/distribute parts of it.

There is also that multiple Open source libraries are being used in the PS3, only some requires a similar disclosure. Those that are disclosed, how do you find the address of the site?
 

Man

Member
Sep 27, 2009
11,920
0
0
So please summarize this for me:

Sony is doing some webkit work as there are traces on the net... but it's not yet implemented in the PS3?
 

tearsofash

Member
Jan 23, 2010
4,180
5
800
Seattle, WA
soror64.com
Wouldn't mind Chrome (or something using webkit) to replace the PS3 browser. I honestly think they should do a complete XMB overhaul.

travisbickle said:
Just add a skype app, then there's another reason to own an eyetoy.
But they want us to use their PSN video chat! It's not like the PS3 is a computer.
 

jeff_rigby

Banned
Aug 7, 2010
3,825
0
0
Florida
Man said:
So please summarize this for me:

Sony is doing some webkit work as there are traces on the net... but it's not yet implemented in the PS3?
Webkit is the back end for a browser and also a kit of web tools that can be used outside a browser to support IPTV (streaming audio and video applications).

Firmware 3.5 contained the HTML5 javascript engine out of webkit (partial webkit port).

It's really not possible to summarize beyond that. Read: message 141 here and follow the links: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402172&page=3


tearsofash said:
Wouldn't mind Chrome (or something using webkit) to replace the PS3 browser. I honestly think they should do a complete XMB overhaul.

Originally Posted by travisbickle:
Just add a skype app, then there's another reason to own an eyetoy.

But they want us to use their PSN video chat! It's not like the PS3 is a computer.
Webkit requires support not in the PS3 now => XMB OS overhaul required with multiple Open Source libraries added to the PS3.

PS Suite to PS3 application porting requires => XMB OS overhaul required with multiple Open Source libraries added to the PS3.

Sony is using/going to use the Gstreamer library (200-500K) (it's in the Sony SNAP Developer library). The video editor on the XMB may be a Gstreamer based app.

For video chat and messaging; See Farsight based on Gstreamer http://farsight.freedesktop.org/wiki/

And on this page: http://gstconf.ubicast.tv/categories/conferences/

Lectures about using Gstreamer to:
1) integrating-video-conferencing-into-everyday-applications/
2) challenges-of-video-editing-in-your-pocket/
3) 3d-stereoscopic-and-gstreamer/
4) videos/webkit-html5-and-gstreamer/

It appears that with Gstreamer (Open source library) in Sony platforms, it's relatively easy to write applications with advanced features.

Linux and embedded hardware (handhelds, Cell phones, TVs, Tablets, game consoles and more) based on Android, QT or GTK toolkit or whatever have Linux as a base kernel and multiple Linux affiliated organizations are pushing to develop Open Source libraries and STANDARDS. This is all coming together in 2011 with October as a release date to the public but for profit organizations like Nokia, Sony and others can fund development for public license and get early access to libraries for their products.
 

DrXym

Member
Feb 10, 2007
2,601
0
885
A couple of random thoughts:

a) Webkit doesn't need QT and it would be mad to port QT to the PS3 just for some browser. There are impls of WebKit that go through QT, GTK, Cocoa etc. I imagine the best approach for the PS3 would be to make some thin widgets staight over OpenGL ES
b) It's not the disk foot print size that matters, but the runtime footprint. i.e. how much it consumes when running standalone or in a game. I expect Webkit has reasonable performances thanks to it's use in Android / iOS.
c) Switching browser engines has the potential to break games that already rely on it. Probably legacy Netfront has to remain just to satisfy existing apps
d) All of this is by the by since I suspect the PS3 will upgrade to the latest version of Netfront which is apparently what is going into the 3DS.

d) would suck balls but it's better than nothing I suppose. It might make browsing tolerably useful again. Some reports suggest Netfront will have some support for HTML5 but anyone remotely familiar with the complexity of HTML 5 should take this with an boulder sized grain of salt. It might implement a half broken canvas tag and some other specs but I'm not expecting much more.
 

jeff_rigby

Banned
Aug 7, 2010
3,825
0
0
Florida
DrXym said:
A couple of random thoughts:

a) Webkit doesn't need QT and it would be mad to port QT to the PS3 just for some browser. There are impls of WebKit that go through QT, GTK, Cocoa etc. I imagine the best approach for the PS3 would be to make some thin widgets staight over OpenGL ES
b) It's not the disk foot print size that matters, but the runtime footprint. i.e. how much it consumes when running standalone or in a game. I expect Webkit has reasonable performances thanks to it's use in Android / iOS.
c) Switching browser engines has the potential to break games that already rely on it. Probably legacy Netfront has to remain just to satisfy existing apps
d) All of this is by the by since I suspect the PS3 will upgrade to the latest version of Netfront which is apparently what is going into the 3DS.

d) would suck balls but it's better than nothing I suppose. It might make browsing tolerably useful again. Some reports suggest Netfront will have some support for HTML5 but anyone remotely familiar with the complexity of HTML 5 should take this with an boulder sized grain of salt. It might implement a half broken canvas tag and some other specs but I'm not expecting much more.
Some confusion here; "Webkit doesn't need QT and it would be mad to port QT to the PS3 just for some browser." Netflix ported QT Webkit to the PS3 for use by the Netflix application. QT Webkit is a hybrid cross platform development library. It's selected parts of webkit and QT.

Sony ported a generic webkit HTML5 javascript engine to the PS3 with "more coming".

It gets confusing when you look at various versions of Webkit based on different supporting libraries; Dependencies.

Cairo can use a number of supporting backends. I suspect OpenGL or rather a custom PSGL version will be used. Cairo is only the vector graphics part, you also have bitmap graphics, then there are the font libraries and more.

Supporting Webkit is a massive job much greater than just porting webkit code. We can only guess at how Sony will do this. Looking to the NGP and how it supports webkit (guess) is probably the best answer for us. But we don't know how Sony supports webkit in the NGP. Looking to Android and how it supports webkit could be a possible as NGP to Android PS Suite porting works better if libraries are similar.

I don't think we are getting a new version of Netfront for the PS3. What's in the PS3 now (webkit generic engine) is I think, incompatible with Netfront.

Remember; webkit is used for more than just a browser. Portal 2 currently uses webkit inside it's game on PCs and I suspect will use the webkit in the PS3 for Portal 2 on the PS3 (April).
 

DrXym

Member
Feb 10, 2007
2,601
0
885
jeff_rigby said:
I don't think we are getting a new version of Netfront for the PS3. What's in the PS3 now (webkit generic engine) is I think, incompatible with Netfront.
PS3 currently uses Netfront as does the PSP. I have no idea why Netfront is so popular in Japanese devices but perhaps it's better at unicode or something. It therefore seems more likely they'll bump the revision and that will be that.

It's not impossible that games could utilise Webkit or similar if they want. However implementing a full blown browser to render a bit of in game content is massive overkill.
 

jeff_rigby

Banned
Aug 7, 2010
3,825
0
0
Florida
DrXym said:
PS3 currently uses Netfront as does the PSP. I have no idea why Netfront is so popular in Japanese devices but perhaps it's better at unicode or something. It therefore seems more likely they'll bump the revision and that will be that.

It's not impossible that games could utilise Webkit or similar if they want. However implementing a full blown browser to render a bit of in game content is massive overkill.
Yes there is that Japanese thing but I believe there is now more use of open source - Linux - cross platform libraries and standards in the Sony platforms.

Remember Linux and open source standards have evolved since the PS3 release. See Sony SNAP developer libraries.