• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/3 sales generate more revenue than XB1/360/Wii & Wii U combined

bluedawgs

Banned
Ironic that you're saying this considering Sony's rather sparse fall/winter exclusive lineup

Ironic you're mentioning Sony's sparse fall/winter lineup without mentioning Microsoft's sparse 2015 as a whole. What's even better is that Sony actually does have exclusive games coming out in the fall/winter, while Microsoft had barely anything in 2015.

Ironic you're mentioning Sony's sparse fall/winter lineup without mentioning Microsoft's sparse 2015 as a whole. What's even better is that Sony actually does have exclusive games coming out in the fall/winter, while Microsoft had barely anything in 2015.
Gears, Tomb Raider, Halo, Forza, Fable, and Rare Collection are certainly more than nothing lol. But carry on, soldier.

Pretty interesting that as a whole company, Microsoft has basically unlimited moneys, yet their games division is hardly doing much. Meanwhile Sony's games division is extremely lucrative, while Sony as a whole company is tanking hard.

bluedawgs

Banned
So 6M is reasonable if the PS4 sees a similar sales boost when bigger titles (that Japanese gamers care about) start dropping. If PS4 ends up getting the same extended lifespan that PS3 got, maybe it will get closer to the PS3 than that. Those PS3-PS4 cross gen releases will have to finally stop at some point.

Thanks. All opinions are welcome :)

It's understandable why we are still getting them, but I wonder how PS4 hardware sales would look if we didn't have so many cross gen titles. Metal Gear Solid V is a pretty big release, but how many people are going to decide that the PS3 version is good enough? Ditto for Persona 5 and the next Tales game.

Dragon Quest Heroes probably would have moved more hardware if there wasn't a PS3 version, Persona 5 would move a lot more than it will if there was no PS3 version, same with Metal Gear Solid and Star Ocean 5. Short answer, the sales would look a lot better. Unfortunately we're stuck with "home consoles in Japan are dead" until cross finally does end.

N.Domixis

Banned
How do we know this information is reliable? Is the op an insider? Or is this just data that has Ben collected from various things?

Ricky_R

...While all of Sonys other divisions failed. PS seems to be Sonys only focus - that and Spiderman. It was as though Sony forgot they sell other products other than the PS.

Sony is a leader in the console space but at a giantic cost to Sony as a company.

Are you annoyed because Sony as company is apparently failing or because the PS4 is thriving?

Let it out. ;)

kswiston

I dont know if Nintendo killed support too early or overall support and interest just dropped off a cliff. But looking at how the 360 and PS3 are still selling there's no telling when they will get discontinued.

Nintendo was spread thin between the Wii and the DS, and you can see that post 2007. I also wonder if their evergreen strategy bit them in the ass post-2010. Not releasing sequels to your biggest games (with a few exceptions) might drive tail end sales, but it doesn't give people much of a reason to stick around when you have gone through all of your heavy hitter IPs.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So 6M is reasonable if the PS4 sees a similar sales boost when bigger titles (that Japanese gamers care about) start dropping. If PS4 ends up getting the same extended lifespan that PS3 got, maybe it will get closer to the PS3 than that. Those PS3-PS4 cross gen releases will have to finally stop at some point.

PlayStation 4 software sales have been very low as well with no games apart from Bloodborne, GTAV and Dragon Quest Heroes able to exceed 200,000 units with the latter two games selling more on PlayStation 3.

There hasn't been a killer app yet for Japanese gamers to purchase the PlayStation 4 and honestly the market has changed so much that even if killer apps do launch it may not do much to increase the install base to the levels of its predecessors.

The launch of PlayStation 4 exclusive titles from Sony Computer Entertainment, Square Enix, Capcom, Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo in 2016 and beyond will be key to pushing both software and hardware sales as right now there don't seem to be many other big developers catering to the Japanese market that have the strength to dictate hardware purchases.

So we could and certainly will see PlayStation 4 sales increase in Japan but it remains to be seen just how big of a push Sony and developers will make and what the actual impact on sales will be. Certainly right now it looks like the console market is much smaller than it was 10 years ago.

4Tran

These numbers seem very much in line with sales impressions so far, but it's nice to see it collated in one convenient place. It really does go a long way to show how important it is to design a good product and to have good working relationships with your business partners. I imagine that it's important to note that the existence and absence of exclusive games don't seem to make a whole lot of difference in relation to sales revenue in general. There are a lot of lessons for all three platform creators, but the big question is going to be how well they can absorb these lessons and apply them to future releases.

Very interesting pieces. I definitely have seen the trend of focusing on a niche in LNs and manga so much so that new ones have become entirely predictable and subsequently boring.

Corporate culture in japan has always been messed up though that's nothing new, so is it just the uptick in effort development takes that broke the system.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
lol.
its a minority who wants japanese games.

bigger titles like ff and kh will come to xbone too.

its simply the reputation of ms, why people still dont buy the system.

while the xbone and back then the 360 were way cheaper compared to the ps3/4 people still do prefer the playstation brand over the ms console. most people dont give a fuck about graphical prowess, these people are also a minority-.-

So your saying people are only buying PS4 because they don't like MS?

And that its a negligible amount of people who bought a PS4 for Japanese support?

Is that what your saying?

ZhugeEX

Banned
So your saying people are only buying PS4 because they don't like MS?

And that its a negligible amount of people who bought a PS4 for Japanese support?

Is that what your saying?

Sakujou posts like that all the time. I would just ignore his/her posts personally.

Inuhanyou

Sakujou posts like that all the time. I would just ignore his/her posts personally.

I suppose so.

I see what you guys are saying, the mainstream helped perpetuate the console to the lead its currently holding.

So is it purely Fifa, Madden, Call of Duty, etc? Because if you look at Microsoft's output, it seems more mainstream oriented than Sony IE Masterchief collection, Halo 5, Gears of War, EA Vault, etc.

Well...except this guy ;)

Since you referenced me.

You said

Sony is still struggling as far as compelling exclusive content goes. This is GAF, I'm already dead aren't I?

I said in response, that a lot of people were buying PS4s because Japanese support on the PS4 was compelling to them.

How does your response counteract my point? You think only western Xbox shooter games are compelling content for everyone? But obviously everyone does not think that same way.

Apathy

...While all of Sonys other divisions failed. PS seems to be Sonys only focus - that and Spiderman. It was as though Sony forgot they sell other products other than the PS.

Sony is a leader in the console space but at a giantic cost to Sony as a company.

It's like you just want to forget camera sensors and insurance making good money

Ryoku

The PS4 is the most popular console by a big margin and is being sold for $400.
The XBO is the same price, but isn't as popular as the PS4.
The Wii U is cheaper than the PS4 and has not sold well since launch.

This makes sense.

Ricky_R

This makes sense.

Xbone is cheaper as well.

jayu26

This makes sense.
I thought Xbone base model is sold for $350, making it $50 cheaper. In Canada it is effectively $100 cheaper. Although price might be similar in EU.

4Tran

This makes sense.
This scenario seems to be a good illustration of the difference between value and price.

Just curious Zhuge, do you work in the industry? Or does your job have something to do with sales/statistics etc? It's always fascinating and interesting to see the sorts of stuff you post on Twitter, and I've always wondered how you come to know of it (not that I doubt you of course!)

Kouriozan

There hasn't been a killer app yet for Japanese gamers to purchase the PlayStation 4 and honestly the market has changed so much that even if killer apps do launch it may not do much to increase the install base to the levels of its predecessors.
Wii U's situation is telling us that big games only provide a small boost for a short while and then it come back to its baseline.
But the PS4 always have more chance since it actually got 3rd parties support so the userbase don't have to wait 3 months between each game releases.

Inuhanyou

Just curious Zhuge, do you work in the industry? Or does your job have something to do with sales/statistics etc? It's always fascinating and interesting to see the sorts of stuff you post on Ttitter, and I've always wondered how you come to know of it (not that I doubt you of course!)

He pursues Lu Bu when others don't have the courage. I think that's all that needs to be said.

sörine

Banned
Yeah Sony will remain the Top Dog for this generation its done. 3DS/WiiU will be replaced by NX next year so sales wont get any better for these system. Outside of US and UK it will be tough for MS - there just arent many reason to buy an additional console next to the PS4 with all the content it is getting.
This makes me wonder if MS won't also try to rush the cycle to next gen. It might make sense if they can launch a year ahead of Sony and build a lead advantage.

Jigorath

Banned
sörine;176888877 said:
This makes me wonder if MS won't also try to rush the cycle to next gen. It might make sense if they can launch a year ahead of Sony and build a lead advantage.

That worked well for the WiiU.

And the Dreamcast.

And the Saturn.

Even the 360's one year lead was basically erased despite the PS3's crappy first few years.

Rushing out a console to get ahead of your competitors seems kind of pointless. Hell the PS4/Xbone launching at the same time worked out very well for both companies. 3rd parties were there day one and people were upgrading left and right. They both ended up with massive launches. It felt like the entire industry was upgrading at the same time.

I can agree on MIcrosoft, but I'm confused at Nintendo. Nintendo's console success is usually either there across the board, or not there across the board. The Wii was absolutely the most successful anywhere in the world of it's generation. You have a point only if you talk handhelds, but that's because handhelds as a market are far bigger in Japan than anywhere else.
Not true. Nintendo's home consoles didn't have a true worldwide phenomenon until the Wii.

NES was successful in Japan and NA only. Europe and Brazil cared very little for it.

SNES was again a success only in Japan and NA. The Genesis gave the SNES a run for their money in Europe.

N64 was mostly only succesful in NA failing miserably in Europe and Japan.

The GC was again only moderately successful in NA but sold even less than the N64. Hardly anyone outside our region cared for it.

Wii was successful everywhere.

WiiU is poised to be the worst selling yet with the bulk made in Japan and some in NA.

Nintendo characters are what's global and transcend borders. But they're limited to how successful their Nintendo hardware is and more often than not Nintendo drops the ball on that department when it comes to home consoles.

Kayant

Bleedgreen007
Banned

Had I feeling that was coming.

That's some incredible performance for Sony.

@ZhugeEX

Am guessing this data is a collection of info from console manufactures, NPD, Gfk, IDC?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Just curious Zhuge, do you work in the industry? Or does your job have something to do with sales/statistics etc? It's always fascinating and interesting to see the sorts of stuff you post on Ttitter, and I've always wondered how you come to know of it (not that I doubt you of course!)

I work for a company in the Mobile telecommunications industry and have access to market research reports within that industry. Sometimes the subscriptions we have allow me to see other industry reports including Toys & Games.

Also I have a passion for the video game industry and love researching and collecting data.

I am currently preparing a report about the difference in spend between US and Chinese gamers as well as how the Chinese market is growing for gaming overall. It should be ready tomorrow so please look forward to it :)

It's reliable. I guess I need to add that tag after all, Zhuge

I guess so.

He pursues Lu Bu when others don't have the courage. I think that's all that needs to be said.

Arrrrrgghhhh! It's...... LU BU!

BigDug13

sörine;176888877 said:

But how would they do that? PS4 will have a massive lead over the Xbox brand by then and all game makers will be targeting that level of game system for their games still. Xbox Two will release with what games? What third party support? The most they'll get from third parties will be the same PS4/XBO games but at a higher graphics setting. Crossgen game support will reign supreme so a new Xbox too early will simply have the same games as PS4/XBO while the industry waits for the PS5 in order to truly move on with game specification advancement, then Xbox Two will be the weaker system of the two yet again and will hold next gen game development back.

I just don't see trying to release a new system early and all alone because your last system is getting demolished in sales as a valid strategy. You alienate the fans that had purchased the last system while making things awkward for game development moving forward by having a stop-gap hardware specification that will be easily demolished when the bigger player (PS5) finally moves to next gen.

I work for a company in the Mobile telecommunications industry and have access to market research reports within that industry. Sometimes the subscriptions we have allow me to see other industry reports including Toys & Games.

Also I have a passion for the video game industry and love researching and collecting data.

I am currently preparing a report about the difference in spend between US and Chinese gamers as well as how the Chinese market is growing for gaming overall. It should be ready tomorrow so please look forward to it :)

Ahh, I see then. That's pretty cool and I respect that passion. And yes, I will look forward to it!

lol

I see what you guys are saying, the mainstream helped perpetuate the console to the lead its currently holding.

So is it purely Fifa, Madden, Call of Duty, etc? Because if you look at Microsoft's output, it seems more mainstream oriented than Sony IE Masterchief collection, Halo 5, Gears of War, EA Vault, etc

How do those games get more main stream than TLOU , UC collection KZ , etc etc .
Along with stuff like PS + .

Top Bottom