• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 - Can you Transfer Data from 1 External HDD to another?

Zurick

Banned
Houston, we've got a problem. I've run into a pretty large dilemma and I'm out of storage space on my 5TB external HDD.

1WbbQBV.png

Now the simple solution is to just delete some games and make room, but I really enjoy the comfort of having my titles at my finger tips at all times so my question is... Is it possible to pick up an 8gb external HDD and transfer the data from 1 HDD to the other?

Syysch

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't have 2 plugged in at the same time. You'd have to use that 800gb internal to pass things through.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't have 2 plugged in at the same time. You'd have to use that 800gb internal to pass things through.

You're correct. Basically just transfer back and forth between old external to internal and internal to new external until you have everything where you want it.

No external work around for this?

No, PS4 uses a proprietary encrypted file system for both internal and external hard drives so you can't hook up both drives to a PC and copy files back and forth or anything similar. Everything has to be done via a PS4, and since you can only use one expanded storage drive at a time this is your only option.

Top Bottom