• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 celebrates six months on top in the UK in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
PlayStation 4 has been the best-selling games console every month of the year to-date, Sony has told MCV.

The company was speaking about the success in June of its limited edition console bundle, which features Warner Bros’ chart-topping title Batman Arkham Knight.

Arkham Knight is the fastest-selling game of 2015 so far, surpassing the previous sales record held by The Witcher 3.

The pack, which includes a grey PS4 emblazoned with the Dark Knight’s silhouette, was available alongside a separate SKU comprising of a standard PS4 and a copy of the title.

More here

nib95

Banned
yes...at this point in time...i think we can all just assume that the PS4 will be the best selling console every month....

If something is predictable, then it is not news :p

In the UK and US it's not quite as predictable, though it may very well end up being the case as time goes on.

lord_lad

Banned
In the UK and US it's not quite as predictable, though it may very well end up being the case as time goes on.

when 9 out of 12 months of a year where the PS4 is the top selling of the month, it is.

I think we can all agree that Microsoft seems to only want to grab the holiday sales title (thus squeezing all games at the holiday)...while sony seems to want to increase their profit margin (thus keeping the launch price).....

coastel

yes...at this point in time...i think we can all just assume that the PS4 will be the best selling console every month....

If something is predictable, then it is not news :p

Don't really follow that last sentence for obvious reasons. Anyway don't wanna derail the thread just seemed like you didn't even read it but whatever.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I can't speak for the entire UK but here in London PS4 stock is still hit or miss in stores. Especially on weekends.

Ya know I actually agree. It seems like the PS4 is still selling out very regularly over here at retail stores.

Always in stock online though.

Ya know I actually agree. It seems like the PS4 is still selling out very regularly over here at retail stores.

Didn't realize you were in the UK *waves hand* lol

I've went to GAME, ASDA, and Argos (for our American cousins these are huge UK retail stores and supermarkets which stock consoles) on the hunt for a PS4 in early June and couldn't find stock. When I asked why they told me the PS4 going out of stock is a regular thing. I've seen it most frequently in GAME.

In the end I had to go to Oxford street (then to Tottenham Court Road) to buy a bundle at an inflated price coughargoscough and then put the games on ebay to even out the extra £100 I had to spend. All because I promised my nephew and PS4 for his birthday.

Handy Fake

Didn't realize you were in the UK *waves hand* lol

I've went to GAME, ASDA, and Argos (for our American cousins these are huge UK retail stores and supermarkets which stock consoles) on the hunt for a PS4 in early June and couldn't find stock. When I asked why they told me the PS4 going out of stock is a regular thing. I've seen it most frequently in GAME.

In the end I had to go to Oxford street (then to Tottenham Court Road) to buy a bundle at an inflated price coughargoscough and then put the games on ebay to even out the extra £100 I had to spend. All because I promised my nephew and PS4 for his birthday.

Think Walmart without the semi-automatics and ammunition. ;)

EGM1966

Gap still increasing in UK. Rate of expansion has slowed I think but unless MS can actually start closing the gap it's just going to be about how big the final gap ends up being.

Strong performance from Sony obviously in UK.

Ushay

Gap still increasing in UK. Rate of expansion has slowed I think but unless MS can actually start closing the gap it's just going to be about how big the final gap ends up being.

Strong performance from Sony obviously in UK.

Do we have Xbox figures to back this up? Performance has been strong all around, so this is good news. Long live consoles!

Personally I'm hoping this generation last longer then 6 years at least.

stryke

Do we have Xbox figures to back this up? Performance has been strong all around, so this is good news. Long live consoles!

Personally I'm hoping this generation last longer then 6 years at least.

What figures do you need? If it's consistently outselling XB1, then the gap is consistently getting bigger. What can vary is the rate of the gap increase. The only thing we know about XB1 is that they reached 1 million in Nov 2014, 2 months behind PS4.

Handy Fake

What figures do you need? If it's consistently outselling XB1, then the gap is consistently getting bigger. What can vary is the rate of the gap increase. The only thing we know about XB1 is that they reached 1 million in Nov 2014, 2 months behind PS4.

Is this UK or WW?

Skyo

Honestly not surprised anymore. Attracting the initial gamers at the beginning really turned the tables in the UK especially. Kudos~

Honestly not surprised anymore. Attracting the initial gamers at the beginning really turned the tables in the UK especially. Kudos~

I am surprised that it's continued to stay in the lead on a monthly basis. XBone is still popular in the UK and MS have done a lot to try and turn it around yet PS4 still does better but at least Sony in the UK have been highly competitive and mainly matched MS on price throughout.

Maledict

Must be UK numbers.

Either way, MS has only managed to shrink the gap slightly during the holiday months. Otherwise, they're losing ground more and more every month.

Not in the UK they didn't. The PS4 was the biggest selling console across November + December last Christmas..

The gap got bigger over the holiday period in the UK, not smaller.

I am surprised that it's continued to stay in the lead on a monthly basis. XBone is still popular in the UK and MS have done a lot to try and turn it around yet PS4 still does better but at least Sony in the UK have been highly competitive and mainly matched MS on price throughout.

As crazy as it is, I really think MS' fuck ups during the early announcement/launch of the system may have fucked them for the entire generation. The general non-enthusiast public I've talked to still think all the stuff that was true/rumored early on is a thing, and that XBO is thus a bad choice to make. And of course, the more PS4 gains a lead, the more it feels like the smart choice to all but the people who need Halo/Gears/Forza.

Lucifon

As crazy as it is, I really think MS' fuck ups during the early announcement/launch of the system may have fucked them for the entire generation. The general non-enthusiast public I've talked to still think all the stuff that was true/rumored early on is a thing, and that XBO is thus a bad choice to make. And of course, the more PS4 gains a lead, the more it feels like the smart choice to all but the people who need Halo/Gears/Forza.

Whoever gains the lead at the beginning stays on top throughout the majority of the generation. Consoles snowball virally in sales, people buy them, then their friends get the same console, and the cycle continues.

It's a shame, as I feel Sony are incredibly complacent right now knowing full well that they can just sit back and the console will continue to out-sell the competition purely based on the above combined with the third party support of multiplatform titles. I mean the console still gives me a tooltip daily about the goddamn power options, I think we've had two updates since that bug was introduced yet it still exists. Would love for there to be stronger competition to give them a needed kick up the backside, PS3 style. Nintendo's lack of success this time around has created a 2-horse race, which results in less competition, something that's definitely worse for the consumers :(

I can't speak for the entire UK but here in London PS4 stock is still hit or miss in stores. Especially on weekends.

Jesus you still can't just walk in store and buy a PS4 in some cases?

Thirst is real.

Thought that ended middle of 2014 in the UK.

Just had a look on Game's website and bar the 1TB PS4, every PS4 bundle deal is cheaper than the XB1 bundle deals. You can get more stuff with the XB1 deals but most seem to be flogged off with blu-rays and/or kid oriented deals - the Witcher 3/MCC packs don't seem to be available. While they might be trying to get summer holiday purchases for parents to keep their kids shut-up and content, surely a price-conscious parent would go for the cheaper console? And right now, they seem to be pitching the PS4 as an adult gaming machine and the XB1 as a kids machine which as Nintendo knows, isn't a good tag to have.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but is Game just going with the flow?

EGM1966

Why's that crazy? Sonys poor reveal/launch of PS3 hurt them for most of the gen and gave MS the chance to take advantage.

This gen is just a repeat with the role of the players reversed. MS mess up was worse than Sony's though so it'll probably hurt them even harder.

Right now US remains a fight. UK is already looking like a Sony win (albeit a slim one) and ROW is pretty much guaranteed big win for Sony.

The overall gen winner is pretty clear already baring a really unexpected game changer.

sora87

keep-calm-and-long-live-the-king-7.png

Absolutely spiffing, old chaps.

I want to be careful how I word this but I am extremely glad our supermarkets like Asda, Sainsburys, Tesco, Lidl, Morrisons, and Iceland do not sell hollow points or extended clips.
I feel sorry for you and your countrymen. It must be hard living without freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom