• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Controller - Dualshock 4 Unveilved

stick placement is great

In fact it fixed all my issues really and even went above and beyond by making an already dpad seemingly better.

For me it's atrocious, and it's only there because they needed a place to put the sticks years ago when they added them to the prior design. It's not there because ergonomically it makes sense. Hopefully a third party makes a quality 360-ish controller for the PS4 as there was for the PS3. Then everyone can be happy.

Number45

For me it's atrocious, and it's only there because they needed a place to put the sticks years ago when they added them to the prior design. It's not there because ergonomically it makes sense. Hopefully a third party makes a quality 360-ish controller for the PS4 as there was for the PS3. Then everyone can be happy.
They exist for the PS3 and I'm sure they'll exist for the PS4 as well, so that people can be happy with sticks in different positions to their thumbs.

Servbot24

Banned
So far i can see no real complaints with this controller. Very happy they kept the stick placement. My symmetrical hands will be happy. :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Only issue I see with the controller is the shoulder buttons are too close together, like most controllers.

deadlast

has it all ready been discussed if the DS4 will work with existing Turtle Beach headset? I'm curious because I have a DX11 that I would like to keep using.

Vidpixel

The colors that light up on the back of the controllers for each player are a nice touch, especially since they represent the four colors of the face buttons.

Careful. People that have gotten use to the PlayStation stick placement don't tend to admit that Sony included them as an afterthought. I'm sure Sony didn't expect first and third person shooters to become as popular as they have.

I'd bet Sony Japan is the only reason the stick placements haven't changed.

i-Lo

Careful. People that have gotten use to the PlayStation stick placement don't tend to admit that Sony included them as an afterthought. I'm sure Sony didn't expect first and third person shooters to become as popular as they have.

I'm used to it. For me both are comfortable. So when I hear complaints about the placement it just comes off as an opinion. However, thankfully, the size of the controller received an upgrade which does affect me.

I think it's more a question of human anatomy when it comes to dual stick input. If my left and right hands were asymmetrical then I could understand asymmetrical stick placement. However they're not, so I would prefer the symmetrical stick placement of either the Dual Shock or the Wii U Pro controller.

nib95

Banned
I think it's more a question of human anatomy when it comes to dual stick input. If my left and right hands were asymmetrical then I could understand asymmetrical stick placement. However they're not, so I would prefer the symmetrical stick placement of either the Dual Shock or the Wii U Pro controller.

Agreed, in any game where you're using both sticks and the triggers as oppose to the face buttons, symmetrical sticks is the more natural positioning.

I'm used to it. For me both are comfortable. So when I hear complaints about the placement it just comes off as an opinion. However, thankfully, the size of the controller received an upgrade which does affect me.

It's my opinion the stick placement stinks. Not fact. That's for sure. Others love it. I'm with you on the size of the controller, as that's been another issue for me, and perhaps the change in size may alleviate some of the issues I have with the sticks. They've also tightened the sticks, which addresses another one of my issues, as well as putting a lip on the triggers. I just hope it feels substantial/weighty.

KePoW

Banned
Agreed, in any game where you're using both sticks and the triggers as oppose to the face buttons, symmetrical sticks is the more natural positioning.

But in most games, you're using the face buttons a lot which is why the higher left stick makes ergonomical sense. Fact.

fritolay

I'm actually really interested in the share button and the whole idea behind it. I hope MS puts one on their next controller or adds the same features some how.

Kule

The glossy d pad surface just made this stand out more to me. One console future.

vEnNAsnl.png

Endo Punk

It looks unfinished. I am glad they kept the button and stick placements the same. Get rid of the gloss though, that's probably what gives it an 'unfinished look'.

But in most games, you're using the face buttons a lot which is why the higher left stick makes ergonomical sense. Fact.

I wouldn't say most games.
In FPS-games, you're using both sticks equally (if not the right one more than the left, but that's balanced out by the facebuttons being on the right side), in racing games you use no facebuttons, and in fighting games you should use an arcade stick :)P).

The only game I can think of where you use the face buttons more than the right stick are platformers while simultaneously using the left stick, and even there it makes sense to have a symetrical stick/button position in other to enable for lefties to play just as comfortable as righties by utilizing the D-pad as facebuttons.

Orayn

I wouldn't say most games.
In FPS-games, you're using both sticks equally (if not the right one more than the left, but that's balanced out by the facebuttons being on the right side), in racing games you use no facebuttons, and in fighting games you should use an arcade stick :)P).

The only game I can think of where you use the face buttons more than the right stick are platformers while simultaneously using the left stick, and even there it makes sense to have a symetrical stick/button position in other to enable for lefties to play just as comfortable as righties by utilizing the D-pad as facebuttons.

Many action and action-adventure games use left stick and face buttons as their primary setup, though. Devil May Cry, Assassin's Creed, Dragon's Dogma, Monster Hunter, etc.

Majanew

Banned
While I do prefer the staggered sticks of the 360 controller, it's the PS4's triggers I'm concerned most about. They are terrible on PS3. And while the PS4's triggers look better, they still look like they're 'squishy'. Just please don't screw up the triggers, Sony. If R1 is used for shooting, then there's no need for trigger-shaped buttons.

surly

Banned
Which would be fine if the sticks were placed in the primary position like on the Wii U Pro controller, but they're not. The sticks were tacked on to a controller created in 1997 so that people could use them in a handful of racing games that supported analogue controls, but the core design hasn't been changed since, even though the way we play games has completely changed.

Looking at that controller, I can now say, Sony will get my money at some point, not at or around launch but at some point. Never have been a fan of the original or Dualshock. So I have never owned a PS, but those extended handles will do a lot to reduce the amount cramping my hands experienced while using the predecessors.

Which would be fine if the sticks were placed in the primary position like on the Wii U Pro controller, but they're not. The sticks were tacked on to a controller created in 1997 so that people could use them in a handful of racing games that supported analogue controls, but the core design hasn't been changed since, even though the way we play games has completely changed.

This. Symmetrical on the Wii u Pro is damn saxy.

I don't see any spot on the controller as being the 'primary' position; in most games these days you're required to use just about every button on the controller for something (sticks, d-pad, face buttons, L1/2 and R1/2, even Select in games like Battlefield), they're all within easy reach, and pressing buttons is pretty easy. The thing that requires constant and really fine-grained control though is dual stick input (e.g. FPS and TPS games) – which is a type of input that's unique on the controller – and that's where symmetrical layout is ideal. As I said earlier I wouldn't mind either the Dual Shock or Wii U Pro controller layout, I think they're both great due to the symmetrical stick placement.

So glad they kept the stick placement, its much better for a wide variety of genres. FPS games suffered because of the shitty sensitivity/dead zone/throw of the older sticks, not the placement. If they matched the Xbox controller in those areas, we have a winner.
Wii U layout is best to me, unexpectedly.

Wii U is garbage, R1 and Right analog are way to close together, forming the ultimate claw position. So awkward.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

I absolutely hate the Xbox 360's stick placement, I tried playing CoD and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 and hated my time with it. It was fine for Gears but all-in-all I'm not a fan. I'm glad Sony didn't mimic Microsoft and remained true to themselves and their fans and further improved their own product while retaining their identity

jwk94

What's the appeal of concave sticks? I've been using the 360 controller on my laptop and I hate the sticks. Sure, the grip is pretty good, but the concavity with the little bumps makes my left thumb hurt after long periods of play.

I still think the 360 has the best designed controller, period.

The size is comfortable and the button makes sense. The most used stick is on the top, and the least used buttons are underneath it. Then the other stick is on the bottom so your thumbs aren't bumping each other, and the most used buttons are on the top as well. All of them are within easy reach with minimal movement, and since the d-pad redesign I think they've hit a sweet spot. They'd just need to fix the battery cover and slow-turn before I could declare it perfect.

The glossy d pad surface just made this stand out more to me. One console future.

vEnNAsnl.png

10/10

Post of the month, Gaming side

Screenshot-mother-of-god-super-troopers+on+Flickr+-+Photo+Sharing!+-+Mozilla+Firefox-706883.png

it is happening

I absolutely hate the Xbox 360's stick placement, I tried playing CoD and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 and hated my time with it. It was fine for Gears but all-in-all I'm not a fan. I'm glad Sony didn't mimic Microsoft and remained true to themselves and their fans and further improved their own product while retaining their identity

Having an inferior identity just to have an identity isn't a benefit. There's other ways they could have fixed their ergonomics issue and still not copy Microsoft. Nintendo managed it with the pro controller.

As for the mockups, the bottom left should be green and come bundled with Minecraft.

Mrbob

The dual shock stick placement doesn't offend my gaming sensibilities. I like the 360 stick placement better for for shooter games, but action adventure games I like the PS3 controller better.

From what I've been reading the placement of the PS4 sticks are a little wider apart than on PS3, so this should help alleviate any stick crashing. Plus the grips are longer too.

Having an inferior identity just to have an identity isn't a benefit. There's other ways they could have fixed their ergonomics issue and still not copy Microsoft. Nintendo managed it with the pro controller.

As for the mockups, the bottom left should be green and come bundled with Minecraft.

I haven't seen much love for the Wii U Pro controller.

Top Bottom