• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Controller - Dualshock 4 Unveilved

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for not fixing the terrible analog placement at all Sony. Still the worst controller ever for FPSs: confirmed.

You mean asymmetrical analogue sticks? Bah, if you want that, you can purchase a separate controller. I see no point changing it after 3 gens.

Melchiah

Thanks for not fixing the terrible analog placement at all Sony. Still the worst controller ever for FPSs: confirmed.

Going by that logic, shouldn't the Wii U Pro pad be the perfect controller for FPS, as both sticks are placed above? After all, you're not using the ABXY buttons as much as the right stick when playing a FPS.

Oh! Oh! Oh! I got it!

What if you could use the touchpad to take shots in sports games? Draw an arc for freethrows in basketball, on-the-fly line/formation changes, control an AI (literally controlling two players at once, maneuvering a hockey player down a certain way to where you are as you are pinned down by two enemies on the boards), you know, things like that?

Ran rp

Oh! Oh! Oh! I got it!

What if you could use the touchpad to take shots in sports games? Draw an arc for freethrows in basketball, on-the-fly line/formation changes, control an AI (literally controlling two players at once, maneuvering a hockey player down a certain way to where you are as you are pinned down by two enemies on the boards), you know, things like that?

I guess it could work like FIFA for the Vita.

I don't get it, you're still aiming, the primary function in an FPS, on a lower stick with other controllers just fine. What makes movement on a lower stick a blight on your thumb? I hope to see you complaining about the 720's controller if they don't adopt a Wii U Pro Controller layout.

I hope Sony releases an official Windows driver for this controller. It looks great and if their cloud gaming service is going to be released on PC, it would make sense. Hell it makes sense just for increasing sales of a presumably profitable peripheral on another platform. Base case scenario, it would be able to emulate a 360 controller and it would work with 90% of controller friendly games released in the last 5-6 years.

Jack_AG

Banned

So don't buy it. HOLY SHIT PROBLEM SOLVED!

Anyone else have any issues I'll be in my office crunching away at problems like this as if they were delicious Doritos potato chips... ALL FUGGIN WEEK!

The controller was one of the main reasons I never bought a PS3. I disliked the PS2's controller, and didn't really see the DS3 as much of an upgrade.

I'll have to wait and see how the new one feels in my hands, but it seems like it'll be way more comfortable. The extra material for the palm of your hands in the grips is so important. Triggers look better too.

Great post Sentry!

This would have been my post 5 years ago, but the blu ray player and Sony's first party titles helped me overlook how much I've disliked Sony's analog setup (and high profile sticks..and lack of stick resistance). It's obvious that they thought the D-pad was just as important as the analog stick this generation (Even though the majority of their top selling games overwhelmingly rely on the analog stick more).

I love the new design. Sony can stick with their analog stick layout, but the longer handles allow for a lower grip...which in turn can lead to the thumbs in more of an upward angle than they rested with the DS3.

Love the DS4 and I haven't even touched one yet.

Posted this in the other controller thread (Fallon one). Roughly to scale.

B5UM7w.jpg

Awesome sauce.

I'll be able to hold the controller closer to the ends of the handles and my thumbs will love me for it. :)

dejay

Banned

If you look at that animation you would see that the sticks have moved upwards in relation to the shoulder buttons - so although they're pretty much the same in relation to the face buttons, your thumbs will be in a different and, I believe, more comfortable position.

To say they've not fixed the placement "at all" isn't correct.

Developers also helped design the DS4

The console's power is only one aspect of the PlayStation 4 that Guerrilla helped design. The new controller, the DualShock 4, was also the result of a collaboration between Guerrilla and other development teams. Each team told Sony exactly what it was looking for from Sony in terms of the genres they were most familiar with working on.

Evolution Studios offered feedback on the motion control aspects with racing games in mind, while Guerrilla asked for the controller to be more suited to FPS gaming.

"It's a great controller for an FPS," ter Heide says.

"We've been having these discussions about putting a headset jack in there because everybody should be able to go online and have a chat, and they put it in there and it's awesome. It sounds like a lot of really simple features that we've put in there but they make all the difference because it's in one comprehensive package.

"For example, there are little tweaks to the indentation on the sticks, where you have your thumbs on them, we've slightly raised them so there's a little bit more precision. They're slight changes but they make a huge difference."

Hulst agrees: "I think it's a big step forward from what we have [on PS3]. It feels incredibly accurate, in your hands it feels solid, it feels really high quality with the materials that have been used, it feels like you're in control and particularly with that feeling of being a Shadow Marshal, this big hero guy with extra capabilities, it's very suitable. And like we said earlier, we've been feeding back on what it should be for so long that I think we have what we wanted to have. It's very suitable for Killzone."

While talking to the two, one thing is clear - Sony has turned to Guerrilla to be a key software provider for both home console and handheld, as well as its new approach to peer-developed hardware.

"The number of hours of feedback we've given on [the controller] to get it exactly to what we want - with the outward curving triggers, the indentations - and from all these different studios doing the same thing, it's a lot of detailed stuff, making games but also making hardware for games," Hulst says.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/393510/killzone-shadow-fall-preview-ps4/?page=2#top_banner

Het_Nkik

So don't buy it. HOLY SHIT PROBLEM SOLVED!

Anyone else have any issues I'll be in my office crunching away at problems like this as if they were delicious Doritos potato chips... ALL FUGGIN WEEK!

So you won't be solving any problems since DORITOS DOESN'T MAKE POTATO CHIPS!

I picture the jury would start murmuring amongst themselves at this moment.

Nebula

I hope it isn't as small as the PS3 controller. It literally hurt my hands to use that one, and is the reason I never played a PS3 after completing Killzone 3.

I hope it isn't as small as the PS3 controller. It literally hurt my hands to use that one, and is the reason I never played a PS3 after completing Killzone 3.

There's a comparison picture about five posts above yours. It is bigger, especially the handles.

Groof

I think this controller looks really good, actually. Especially after seeing The Verge's photos. It looks like it'll be a fairly good fit in most hands and I'm interested in the rubberised grips, though who knows how those'll stand the test of time. Also the glossy parts seem like a bad move, but that might negate some dirt showing as easily?

Jonboy

Those analog sticks are NOT concave. They're still convex, but they just have a little ridge all the way around to keep your thumbs from slipping.

A true concave stick would actually have a slight groove/depression in the center like the 360.

I'm fine with it, but I notice everyone keeps saying concave but they don't appear to be from The Verge's screenshots.

Megasoum

Banned
The general shape looks better but I'm still not a fan of the two sticks at the bottom. Now I just want to put one in my hand to see how it feels.

waypoetic

Banned
Wu... Wa-wait, didn't Shuhei say that the version they showed off at the PlayStation Meeting wasn't the final version? Then why is The Verge going with title "The new Dualshock 4"? Oh well, i guess they don't know any better.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wu... Wa-wait, didn't Shuhei say that the version they showed off at the PlayStation Meeting wasn't the final version? Then why is The Verge going with title "The new Dualshock 4"? Oh well, i guess they don't know any better.

New as in the DS4 is the new PS4 controller. I bet it'll go through a few minor changes before launch. This looks to be the same prototype from the Feb conference.

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 1m

#PS4 Controller colors are the Player Numbers: 1-Blue, 2-Red, 3-Green, 4-Pink (Like the buttons) #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 2m

#PS4 Controller: 1920x900 resolution on the analog touchpad. #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 5m

#PS4 Controller buttons are going back to digital over analog because no one used it on PS3. #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 7m

#PS4 Controller: Start/Select buttons are now “Options.” New System button is “Share.” #GDC

Speaker, headset hack and “extension port” on the #PS4 controller. #GDC

it's probably new in a sense that it's their first time seeing the mock up (which they mentioned) up close.

or new referencing the new playstation (ps4)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

#PS4 Controller colors are the Player Numbers: 1-Blue, 2-Red, 3-Green, 4-Pink (Like the buttons) #GDC

#PS4 Controller buttons are going back to digital over analog because no one used it on PS3. #GDC

#PS4 Controller: Start/Select buttons are now “Options.” New System button is “Share.” #GDC

Resolution of the touchpad? Huh?

This I'm mega excited for. Great when playing party games.

Nice resolution for touch capabilities.

As long as the triggers are still analog, that's fine with me

PS4 Nunchuck confirmed

waypoetic

Banned
New as in the DS4 is the new PS4 controller. I bet it'll go through a few minor changes before launch. This looks to be the same prototype from the Feb conference.

I know that the DS4 is the PS4 controller. It's not like they announced it as the "PS4 controller" at the PS meeting. And this is not a prototype, the prototype was the one that was leaked and circled GAF for like two weeks before the PS meeting.

surly

Banned
It appears to be bigger, which is an improvement, but the stick placement continues to be stupid.
Yep, your thumbs still fall naturally on the D-pad and face buttons yet again. It's an outdated layout based on one where thumb sticks were tacked on to a controller as an afterthought back in 1997 for the handful of games that supported analogue controls, but it's OK for those that have only ever owned Playstations I guess.

Binabik15

So Vita will have zero problems in regards to the face buttons when using it for remote play. I hope the buttons still feel good, though.

Top Bottom