• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Controller - Dualshock 4 Unveilved

Knoxcore

Definitely like the controller. No radical changes and sticks to the traditional design. Now is that a mic or a speaker in the front?

jett

D-Member
That's weird. How will they deal with PS1, 2, and 3 games or multiconsole games that use both Start and Select?

The touchpad. And the touchpad itself is another button that can be clicked. And I have little doubt the PS4 will recognize the DS3.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ds4z5dhh.gif

I'm assuming the curved over bit of the trackpad is designed for your fingers while you're holding it conventionally? That would be pretty good as I've always wanted shoulder wheel/capacitive strip triggers.

If anything I'd want the PS4 controller to be PS3 compatible. Without any native BC support I'd still like to use that thing my PlayStation games, looks damn comfy.

Loudninja

On the front side of DualShock 4 is a light bar with LED that illuminate in various colours to match the colour of the character in a game as a simple way to identify players. The colours can also provide useful information to players, such as when their character has taken damage during a game.
DualShock 4 also has a touchpad at the front of the controller as a new input method, offering more ways to interact with games
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/02/21/dualshock-4-revealed-pushing-the-boundaries-of-play/

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Looks like a comfy functional controller compared to the old DS controllers.

Sony is getting it while sticking to its roots.

Izick

That's the illustrious Vita d-pad I've heard all about, right? I'm happy they kept the share button, and I hope the triggers are good.

Mindlog

I don't care about how it looks, but I hope we can turn the color bar off. Overall I'm very disappointed with such timid design changes.

94squZe.png

Such a modest upgrade and I reduce my hand gymnastics by a significant amount :\

Arondight

Look like a cheap third-party turd.

edit: I recant my statement. After seeing the quoted pics, I like it. They should be in the OP.

This needs to be in the OP.

Yeah, I had the same opinion before the pictures. Looks so much more better. I'd still get rid of the gloss though since it just doesn't look good but everything else seems fine.

If anything I'd want the PS4 controller to be PS3 compatible. Without any native BC support I'd still like to use that thing my PlayStation games, looks damn comfy.

Me toooooooooooooooooo!!!! Sony finally making a controller worth $50.

If the sticks resistance are what I'm expecting i may finally have found a new favorite game controller (360 my current).

I haven't finished Uncharted 3, Infamous 2....would love to use this controller for those games.

def sim

Adding a dedicated button for streaming features is interesting. I think being able to broadcast your gaming will only become a bigger deal going forward and it's assuring that Sony suspects this too.

vg260

I'm very pleased. It looks fantastic. I just hope the triggers feel comfortable like the 360's and not just like the DS3 with those trigger attachments I'm forced to use, but still feel crappy. If that's the case the DS4 could be my fave of all time.

Mashing

Sony just phoning in the design of the controller now. It wouldn't hurt them to completely redesign the thing, but they seem afraid to do so.

DBT85

Only thing I'm surprised about is that it doesn't have the Vita d-pad like the prototype shots did.

Looks fine to me though, little larger at last :)

Oh wow it looks wayyyyyy more comfortable than the Dualshock of old. This was one thing I was worried about, and was one of the reasons why I held off so long on the PS3. Hell yes. LOOK at those thumbsticks...

I am officially okay with this controller after these shots. Ergonomics! Fucking finally. I'd prefer different stick positions, but it's not the deal breaker the DS2/DS3 ergonomics would have been.

nordique

It's pretty ugly to my eyes.

But damn it looks comfortable. I can't wait to try it...I've been hoping Sony updated their controller since the ps2 and finally they did.

Looks really comfy. For me, their controllers have always been behind the competition simply because the design was archaic.

I know people who felt their controllers were always the best. But those are usually PS only gamers lol.

Anyway, if launch price is reasonable, I hope to get me one of these right out the gate. Otherwise I might hold off a few years.

vg260

Hm, on second look I'm worried about the triggers. Hopefully the shell redesign makes it so as soon as you hold it, the triggers feel natural, but the way they seem share the same protrusion from the base, I'm not convinced. That was huge on the PS3 for me. So many trigger heavy games felt awful on the DS3. 360 felt way better by comparison. Maybe it all depends on the angle, and the DS4 accounts for that.

nordique

Not sure if it's been posted before in this thread but: still no concave nubs for the sticks? Has Sony learned nothing?

It sort of is. Sticks already appear to be a significant upgrade in that ergonomic sense.

Besides, convex isn't bad, it depends how its done. Sony's previous sticks had bad grips on the sticks hence the slipperyness. For instance, gaming with a Wii U pad (not concave) was completely different and felt terrific just because they had the grip thing done right.

Don't hate till you try ;)

Top Bottom