• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Controller - Dualshock 4 Unveilved

Barakov

Gold Member
I like it. The dualshock really needed to be updated. The triggers looks like an improvement over the ones on the DS3.

Polari

So ugly. Share button is stupid. Pleased the touchpad is in there though.

Edit: looks better in those pretty shots. Still not great though.

Violater

Don't know if old, high res
456676_519419784763378_257039095_o.jpg
I love the textured handle grip

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Now that I look at it..... that is definitely an improved D-pad, right?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
here's the PR

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221b_e.pdf

1/4
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INTRODUCES
WIRELESS CONTROLLER FOR PLAYSTATION®4 (DUALSHOCK®4) AND
PLAYSTATION®4 EYE
New Controller and Camera Offer New Ways to Enjoy Games on PlayStation®4
New York City, New York, February 20, 2013 –Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced Wireless Controller for PlayStation®4 (DUALSHOCK®4) and PlayStation®4 Eye, a new camera, along with PlayStation®4 (PS4™), its next generation computer entertainment system.
Wireless Controller for PlayStation®4 (DUALSHOCK®4)
Utilizing a similar design as the popular Wireless Controller for PlayStation®3(DUALSHOCK®3), DUALSHOCK®4 features new innovations to deliver better gaming experiences. DUALSHOCK®4 incorporates a new highly sensitive six-axis sensor, as well as a touch pad located on the front of the controller, which offers gamers completely new ways to play and interact with games.
DUALSHOCK®4 features a light bar on the top with three color LEDs that illuminate in various colors. The light bar illuminates to match the color of characters in a game to offer a simpler, more friendly way to identify players, even when playing side by side. The light bar also changes patterns during gameplay to provide useful information to gamers, such as when a character is critically low on health or has taken major damage.
In addition, DUALSHOCK®4 will come with a built-in speaker and stereo headset jack, enabling PS4 users to enjoy high-fidelity sound effects of games from both the TV and also from the controller. Combined with the Mono Headset that will be bundled with PS4, gamers will also be able to chat with friends playing online, while hearing sound effects from the controller in hand.
2-2-2-2 SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INTRODUCES WIRELESS CONTROLLER FOR
PLAYSTATION®4 (DUALSHOCK®4) AND PLAYSTATION®4 EYE
2/4
While integrating “SELECT” and “START” buttons on DUALSHOCK®3 Wireless controller into a new “OPTIONS button”, DUALSHOCK®4 is newly equipped with a “SHARE button” to further enhance PS4’s social capabilities. The “SHARE button” allows gamers to easily broadcast their gameplay in real-time to friends through internet streaming services such as Ustream. Users can also share their triumphs and accomplishments by uploading video gameplay to Facebook with the “SHARE button”. Unlike streaming content via PC, users no longer have to convert data formats of their recorded gameplay, but can share it with ease. Additionally, gamers can charge DUALSHOCK®4 while PS4 is on standby or through a dedicated charging station. For convenience, YYY can also be charged with smartphone chargers via USB.
During the creation of DUALSHOCK®4, Sony Computer Entertainment worked with key partners in the development community to improve the feel of the left / right sticks and the trigger buttons, the result is a much tighter sense of control over in-game actions.
PlayStation®4 Eye
PlayStation®4 Eye, a newly developed camera for PS4 incorporates two high-sensitive cameras that have wide-angle lenses with 85-degree diagonal angle views which can recognize the depth of space precisely. This enables PlayStation®4 Eye to cut out the image of player from background, or to grasp players’ position in front and behind, further broadening the ways to enjoy games. Incorporated four microphones are also capable of accurate sound detection and source origination. In addition, users will be able to login to their PS4 with face recognition and are capable of using their own body movements or voices to enjoy games more intuitively. Furthermore, PlayStation®4 Eye senses the color of DUALSHOCK®4’s light bar to judge the positions of multiple players, and set characters in the same positions or let a character talk to a particular player, enabling players to enjoy games in new way. PlayStation®4 Eye also supports PlayStation®Move motion controller. It detects the motion of PS Move more precisely, and reflects players’ in-game motion more accurately than ever.
SCE will announce new details of PS4 and its robust lineup of games from 3rd party developers and publishers, the independent gaming community and SCE Worldwide Studios, as well as further enhancements to the entire PlayStation ecosystem between now and the holiday 2013 launch.
###
3-3-3-3 SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INTRODUCES WIRELESS CONTROLLER FOR
3/4
< Wireless Controller for PlayStation®4 (DUALSHOCK®4)>
External Dimensions
Approx. 162mm x 52mm x 98mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Weight
Approx. 210g (tentative)
Keys / Switches
PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), R1/L1/R2/L2 button, Left stick / L3 button, Right stick / R3 button, Pad Button
Touch Pad
2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type
Motion Sensor
Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
Other Features
Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker
Ports
USB (Micro B), Extention Port, Stereo Headset Jack
Wireless Communication
Bluetooth® Ver2.1+EDR
Battery
Type
Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery
Voltage
DC3.7V (tentative)
Capacity
1000mAh (tentative)
<PlayStation®4 Eye>
External Dimension
Approx. 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (width x height x depth) (tentative)
Weight
Approx. 183g (tentative)
Video Pixel
(Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
Video Frame Rate
1280x800 pixel @ 60fps 640x400 pixel @ 120fps 320x192 pixel @ 240fps
Video Format
RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
Lens
Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
Capture Range
30cm&#65374;&#8734;
Field-of-View
85°
Microphone
4 Channel Microphone Array
Connection Type
PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)
Cable Length
Approx. 2m (tentative)
*Specifications are subject to change without notice.-
About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufactures, distributes, develop and markets the PlayStation®2 (PS2®) computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system, the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system and the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system. SCEI has revolutionized home entertainment since they launched PlayStation in 1994. PS2® further enhances the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP® is a handheld entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games with high-quality full-motion video and high-fidelity stereo audio. PS3® is an advanced computer system, incorporating the powerful Cell Broadband Engine and RSX processors. PS Vita is an ultimate portable entertainment system that offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context. SCEI also delivers the PlayStation® experience to open operating systems through
4-4-4-4 SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INTRODUCES WIRELESS CONTROLLER FOR
4/4
PlayStation®Mobile, a cross device platform. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, SCEI, along with its affiliated companies, Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC., and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and its division companies, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Sony Computer Entertainment Asia develops, publishes, markets and distributes hardware and software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets worldwide.
PlayStation, PS3 and DUALSHOCK are registered trademarks and and PS4 is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. Facebook is a trademark or registered trademark of Facebook, Inc. Ustream is a trademark or registered trademark of Ustream, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

The Dualshock is the main reason I can't get into Sony consoles. I'm glad this one looks improved, no way the same design would had last another decade.

I'm still baffled by the desition of having the D-pad in the upfront.

i hope ps3 controllers are compatible with PS4

i think the design should stay the same no matter how far in the future playstation is, because it's already perfection

Yea I wonder... I would not think so...!

Also made me think about my Arcade Sticks... I really don't want to spend 159.99$ again...

Fandangox

This is hilarious. Unfortunately I wish they would have talked more about the ps4's business model.

I don't think the presentation was the best place to talk about whether you will be able to use used games or not. It would be unwise to do so. If it does end happening it will probably be after they show the console, price, release date, etc.

This would have killed hype at the presentation. But I do agree they could have talked more about the business model.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This and Destiny were the highlights of the show for me. New controller looks fantastic.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Looks fantastic. I feel like it needs something though. Like a PS4 logo on the touch pad for instance.

kuroshiki

Looks fucking awesome and easier to hold compare to dual shock.

Also is it confirmed that I can use 3.5mm audio jack to listen audio?

rapid32.5

almost perfect, hopefully they will curve those triggers in the final design, now it's a prototype.
just be glad it's not a dildo, Kinect or Ipad as the standard control scheme.

vgJames

Banned
Need to feel it to really judge it, seems like it'll do the job. Reaching 360 controller standards will be a task, probably my favorite controller design to date.

zkylon

zkylewd
Looks hideous, like they stitched together three different concepts or something.

I like the blue thingie tho.

B.O.O.M

Looks great. Looks comfortable with some neat new features. Really love the share button concept. So good

Also that Dpad actually does remind me of the vita one. Just a bit spread apart and bigger. More suitable for a controller I think

Looks superb, really excited about the controller. Looks like a perfect balance of Dual Socks strengths versus 360 controllers strengths. Wider handle, indents in the analogs, superior triggers with a nice bit of innovation in the share button and touch pad

noah111

Still Alive
This honestly looks like it would be the perfect controller. Triggers look great, sticks shape are much improved, and the grippy looking material on the back of the handles is what i've always wanted.

The trackpad is interesting as is the in-line lights for tracking. Can't wait to see what the actual uses for those two things will eventually be. Not ready to down on them yet.

Also, is that grill for a speaker or a mic? I assume the former, but I would much rather have the latter (i.e. every console ships with mic capabilities).

This honestly looks like it would be the perfect controller. Triggers look great, sticks shape are much improved, and the grippy looking material on the back of the handles is what i've always wanted.

The trackpad is interesting as is the in-line lights for tracking. Can't wait to see what the actual uses for those two things will eventually be. Not ready to down on them yet.

Also, is that grill for a speaker or a mic? I assume the former, but I would much rather have the latter (i.e. every console ships with mic capabilities).

The grill is a mono speaker.

Will never be the perfect controller with the sticks in that position and with that particular type of dpad unfortunate.

here's the PR

DUALSHOCK®4 features a light bar on the top with three color LEDs that illuminate in various colors. The light bar illuminates to match the color of characters in a game to offer a simpler, more friendly way to identify players, even when playing side by side. The light bar also changes patterns during gameplay to provide useful information to gamers, such as when a character is critically low on health or has taken major damage.
In addition, DUALSHOCK®4 will come with a built-in speaker and stereo headset jack, enabling PS4 users to enjoy high-fidelity sound effects of games from both the TV and also from the controller. Combined with the Mono Headset that will be bundled with PS4, gamers will also be able to chat with friends playing online, while hearing sound effects from the controller in hand.
Interesting! Headset included finally.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It's kinda ugly being textured, but it will feel better. Strange that there's no Sony logo on the front too.

ibun

Yeah but it pauses the game to do that :p
Obviously it couldn't pause if it's an online game but whatever relevant behaviour will happen.

official spec list...options replaces start select °_°. mhm now i have my answer. so a usefull button lost for the placing of share

kairu

I think the controller actually looks pretty nice when you look at all the details. I wish the share and options buttons were circles instead of ovals, because they look cramped as is.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Will they also make new moves with the improved sixaxis and new camera utilization?

KevinCow

Banned
While integrating “SELECT” and “START” buttons on DUALSHOCK®3 Wireless controller into a new “OPTIONS button”

That's weird. How will they deal with PS1, 2, and 3 games or multiconsole games that use both Start and Select?

Top Bottom