• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 demo kiosks are starting to pop up at Gamestop & Best Buy

There really should be a demo for Resogen or something. There needs to be at least one graphically astounding game to get people excited. Seeing COD on 360 and Motorstorm on PS3 got me excited for a new generation.

Cool to see these starting to roll out but when can we expect a retail system available for demo so we can mess with the UI and goof around with the options? Is that something Sony gives the go-ahead for or do retailers just unpack one of their units after launch and throw it on display?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So I put in my zip and..um..wtf

ibuZbiMSBkpZHY.JPG

UNCMark

Banned
More people need to go and then hurry back. I live vicariously through other people and crave new dualshock 4 impressions.

DoctorZ

I think it looks really nice. It is a much different feel from a ds3 and the triggers are way different. They're not on par with the 360 I feel, but compared to the ds3 they feel fantastic. The buttons are a bit less mushy than the ds3, but maybe it's because it was a fresh controller. The sticks feel tighter (but it wad also a new controller) and the cup shape feels good, much better than I expected since I'm fine with the ds3 stick shape.

The trackpad wasn't as clicky as I thought too. I imagined like a laptop pad. It feels a bit weird though to me since the texture didn't feel as smooth as I would have liked.

Overall it makes the ds3 feel obsolete it every way that is important. Other than not having a start button, I was looking for it instead as options felt odd to me as a pause button. But I'm sure ill get used to it.

I live outside of Philly and they are telling me I gotta drive up to NY city to try it out?

man, Ill just wait the few weeks for mine to arrive

I went to the sony store in century city they had 3 up. The controller felt good. The odd thing is the ps4 on display was fake. So the controller and cord went behind the wall, not saying its like hooked up to a pc or anything just saying its funny they have a hallow ps4 on display.

DoctorZ

One more note, it takes a long time to load the menu up once you exit a game for some reason. Not sure why, but the games loaded faster than the menu did.

Bsigg12

I went to the sony store in century city they had 3 up. The controller felt good. The odd thing is the ps4 on display was fake. So the controller and cord went behind the wall, not saying its like hooked up to a pc or anything just saying its funny they have a hallow ps4 on display.

Plastic tomb of death by heat. From what I've seen both the Xbox One and PS4 displays will have the functioning unit hidden inside the display itself for better cooling. Its also easier for us to update content when the systems aren't in a plastic case with 10 screws you have to undo.

Oh, shit, they have one at the Sony Store in Roosevelt Field? Sweet. Looks like I know where I'm going on my day off tomorrow. Hopefully it's not too crazy... :p

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I really hope they don't go with this colour scheme. This is at one of the Sony stores so people will already know what they want when they go in there but for other stores the blue is important. Nintendo went with white and Sony went with transparent this gen which left green nice and prominent. Sony needs to reclaim the sea of blue that drew people to the PS2 section :

PS4Demo-3-670x502.jpg

Raymo

I really hope they don't go with this colour scheme. This is at one of the Sony stores so people will already know what they want when they go in there but for other stores the blue is important. Nintendo went with white and Sony went with transparent this gen which left green nice and prominent. Sony needs to reclaim the sea of blue that drew people to the PS2 section :

PS4Demo-3-670x502.jpg

I think you can calm down. Looks like the stores walls are just red. They aren't going to repaint the walls. I don't think anyone can question that they are claiming blue this time. Everything is covered in it.

I think you can calm down. Looks like the stores walls are just red. They aren't going to repaint the walls. I don't think anyone can question that they are claiming blue this time. Everything is covered in it.

I am sure he means the blue which is what Sony will go with. I prefer if it was a solid blue though without any of the other stuff they got going.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I am sure he means the blue which is what Sony will go with. I prefer if it was a solid blue though without any of the other stuff they got going.

Yes, although I take his point that blue on red would clash somewhat. The trick is to draw people to an area in the shop and white isn't particularly good at doing that.

Just played at the Houston Galleria.

-controller looks slightly wider than a DS3, but weighs the same
-felt really good in hand. Just 'right'. Handles are ideal length now, and once I got used to the sticks being farther apart it felt perfect. No complaints.
-touch pad felt better than I imagined. Clicks gently and isn't too big. Doesn't need too little or much pressure.
-the range of motion feels fine. Don't understand the complaints. Think the new sticks are just playing tricks on your minds.

Knack:
-played fluidly for the most part
-tiny bit of display lag
-someone turned the sharpness on the TV waaaay too high and it was grainy
-played on normal and it gave me a decent challenge
-particles were amazing, but it sucks that the sharpness level on the TV made them look gritty
-not precanceling my prepreorder

The Sony rep was super excited and seems like he knew what he was talking about. Will check it out again if I hear they added more games.

-felt really good in hand. Just 'right'. Handles are ideal length now, and once I got used to the sticks being farther apart it felt perfect. No complaints.
-touch pad felt better than I imagined. Clicks gently and isn't too big. Doesn't need too little or much pressure.
-the range of motion feels fine. Don't understand the complaints. Think the new sticks are just playing tricks on your minds.

Knack:
-tiny bit of display lag
-particles were amazing, but it sucks that the sharpness level on the TV made them look gritty

The Sony rep was super excited and seems like he knew what he was talking about. Will check it out again if I hear they added more games.

Question on the DS4. The gray part of it, is it a lighter shade or darker shade?

Question on the DS4. The gray part of it, is it a lighter shade or darker shade?

the difference in coloration between the normal part and the textured part is barely distinguishable. it looks like the material is the same color, but the textured part *looks* lighter due to it being textured in the first place.

the controller was a little grimy from use, but nothing near as bad as a Vita or PSP would get. i also have no idea why people are upset about the D-pad. try it. you won't be crying about it not being the Vita D-pad anymore. it's NOT the Vita D-pad, but it's not some terrible tragedy that people are making it out to be. like the one on the DS3? this one's better. the DS3's D buttons protruded just a bit too much, and on DS4 they lowered them slightly and made the texture less rough. it's great.

pics below, and sorry for quality, i used my phone:

as you can see, people didn't even realize these things were even in the store. some people declined when i offered up the controller, and seemed scared? others were just standing and watching with their mouths open. it was strange.

jackb2424

Banned
So I finally got to get my hands on the controller. It just felt so right, so good. The sticks are so much tighter then I was expecting which was a relief. The curve at the top of the sticks almost acts as a sort of suction. Not once did my thumbs slip off and thats including the triggers. The triggers on the DS4 are what really sold me. They feel like triggers and easy to use. The touch pad was also a neat addition. I played Fifa which looked really good and Knack surprised me. I can see where this game might be a fun adventure. I was very impressed with what I saw.

all the sony stores closed around here :( bummer

would have worked perfect for me since my college is less then 5 minutes from the old Sony store

grrrrrrr

Five

Banned
Just played in South Coast Plaza (Costa Mesa, CA). Impressions

DS4 just felt right. Not too heavy, not too light. Sticks feel light but solid, and the top shape is the perfect mix of loose and thumb-holding. Handle ergonomics are amazing and the texture actually feels quite nice. Buttons are slightly flatter than on DS3, but feel better to push in. D-Pad is fine, but I didn't have a good chance to use it much. Touchpad seems to work well and has a nice smooth texture. Triggers are glorious, to the point of making me not want to pick up a DS3 again. Shoulder buttons are fine, and more of a lateral movement than up- or downgrade.

Knack is quite a lot of fun. On hard, it's definitely challenging. The fighting feels really good and fair on hard. Some of the enemies are quite limber, even more so than you at times, so you really have to outsmart them. Enemies go down in between one and four hits on average, and on hard you have roughly one to three hit points, depending on what hits you, so it doesn't feel like they or you are a bullet sponge. Fantastic. The platforming is nothing to write home about. Most of the platforming requires you to double jump, which I think is a bit of a design flaw. There are invisible walls all over the place, and almost none of the environment is destructible except for a few things that give you more power or are blocking secrets. But the fighting is really good, and the game looks decent despite occasional frame drops and slowdowns during huge explosions. I'll be preordering this game in a little bit.

Octodad: Dadliest catch is a lot of fun. It doesn't have amazing image quality, but the fun art style mostly makes up for that and playing around with the zany controls more than makes up for it. The controls take a few minutes to get used to, and presumably much more time before you're very good with them, but it was nice to play. Plus, the whole thing is so funny to play. It's like a more elaborate QWOP that doesn't punish you as much. In fact, from what I played, Octodad doesn't really ever punish you, so you're free to go around and have fun being an enormously awkward octopod.

Contrast is a case of a cool idea with poor implementation. The art looks amazing and I do like the idea of the game (where you can morph into a shadow on the wall), but it feels really unpolished. The level design is mediocre, and the collision system is pretty bad. Jumping physics are a bit too springy, and there's no animation blending or follow-through animations so moving around doesn't feel very good. I don't know how much of that will have been improved by launch, but right now I'd stay away.

Pinball Arcade looks like real live. Texture resolutions are high, poly count is high, frame rate is perfect, and the anti-aliasing used is pretty good. It's a beefed up version of the PS3 game, to be sure.

FIFA was FIFA, as far as I could tell. It doesn't look as good as the NBA 2K14 screens and videos being posted. The skin shader is merely adequate, not unlike what you'd see on a PS3 game. I've never played FIFA before, so I don't know what to expect or where it might have improved, but it seemed pretty good.

Super Motherload is pretty fun. I can see it being something I'd want to get. Unfortunately, the PS4 I was using soft-crashed out of the game shortly into my play of it, so I didn't get to experience a whole bunch.

Cartman86

Banned
Sure the A on the map is the center of the zip code you entered, but fuck if it isn't funny how many weird locations are showing up.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Please tell me claw gripping is possible on DS4. Where do your index fingers naturally rest? R1 or R2?

I see u made it, I guess I will add my few pictures.

yeah when i came in i went to the back, and those two were taken, with a few people standing behind each person. and i thought "didn't he say there were 3?" and that's when i noticed the one over by itself with nobody using it.

nothing indicating that it was a PS4 demo station other than the controller laying there. it was meant to show off the TV, not the PS4. so i ran over and that's when people noticed and followed me. got the Sony rep to take my photo! lol

Store in century city LA has 3 demo units, they'll let you pick up the dummy shells they have set up.

yeah same in Houston. they were like "go ahead and grab it and get a feel for how small it is". it seriously is pretty much the footprint of a Slim PS3. i was blown away. the USB ports aren't as noticeable as they appear in the photos BTW. can't wait to see a real one with the light strip glowing.

mishakoz

So if anyone goes to one of these thing, bring a USB mini cable and a portable power supply so you can see it light up, there's a connector on the back for it. Will post a few pics once I get home.

Edit: wow I can imgur from my phone!

AA2ZNQ5.jpg

those without Sony stores, don't worry. these are coming to other stores too this month.

as i said before, a Gamestop manager told me the plan is to get the 'big' GS stores equipped with PS4 demo stations to replace their PS3 stations. if you're in a small town and only have a few Gamestops, just go to the most popular one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
those without Sony stores, don't worry. these are coming to other stores too this month.

as i said before, a Gamestop manager told me the plan is to get the 'big' GS stores equipped with PS4 demo stations to replace their PS3 stations. if you're in a small town and only have a few Gamestops, just go to the most popular one.

Guess that means Ocala in FL for me then. Not sure I want to go out as that one is almost an hour away.

chixdiggit

Good to hear the positive impressions on the controller. Anyone hear that likes the DS4 that didn't like the DS3? What do you feel makes it better?

mishakoz

Good to hear the positive impressions on the controller. Anyone hear that likes the DS4 that didn't like the DS3? What do you feel makes it better?

I can tell you that the R2/L2 buttons are vastly improved, your finger won't slide off and they feel.... Right. Joysticks? Grippy, feel right.

Reallink

Knack:
-tiny bit of display lag

The displays they're using look to be W802's, which are the fastest televisions you can buy atm (~16ms). It's amazing they couldn't spend 30 seconds to type up a basic set up procedure/check list or hire people with the common sense to activate Game Mode.

Top Bottom