• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 does not support CD and SACD

gembel

https://twitter.com/ReijiAsakura/status/304699622717267968

ソニー・コンピュータ・エンターテンイメントのアンドリュー・ハウス氏、インタビュー終わり。まずプレイステーション4ではSACD、CDはサポートしません。

Andrew House said PS4 does not support CD and SACD in interview.

So no CD music ripping.

i might understand SACD, but CD's should playback just fine without having to compromise anything. I mean it's a bluray player :D

Eusis

Does that mean no PS1 BC either?
That's my first thought. Fuck, they really may be running all the way with burning BC bridges (and by proxy trying to force us to double dip... and screw over the games that no one wants to OR CAN re-release.)

Music CDs though doesn't really matter too much, at worst you rip on PC then dump on PS4. I'm sure it'd support a thumbdrive for that, and the PC would probably do a better job anyway.

Pooya

no audio CD support is weird, it's not like it would need extra hardware. it should be able to read it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
We'll they did dump SACD's from the PS3 so I'm not too surprised about that. Bit weird about CD's though, I figured they didn't have to add anything special to get that working with their BD drive and it would just take care of it....

Good point. Ugh.

glaurung

If they make Music Unlimited available during game play with full playlist support, I do not see a problem.

I mean, when was the last time I ripped a CD to my PS3 anyhow...

Cannot remember the last time I have bought an Audio CD and even when I did; I immediately ripped it into MP3/FLAC and threw it into storage.

Diablos

Aw shucks, too bad I can't rip CD's to any format under the fucking sun on the laptop I'm typing on right now.[/sarcasm]

Has anyone used their PS3 to rip stuff? Seriously? ATRAC sucks, and the MP3 encoder is okay but one should always opt for LAME VBR which Sony would never get on board with.

Eusis

... Why do so few pay attention to the PS1 angle? I can't (natively, and perfectly) play them on damn near everything else, nor is damn near everything else a better place to play CDs if I wanted to anyway. Although come to think of it it'd be a great use for the disc drive on digitally downloaded games with Custom Soundtrack support, but I guess that wouldn't be worth the effort anyway.
What about DVDs?
They're still listed. That'd be more problematic, especially as there are still DVD releases and some things will either never come to blu-ray or don't stand to benefit as much anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If they make Music Unlimited available during game play with full playlist support, I do not see a problem.

I mean, when was the last time I ripped a CD to my PS3 anyhow...

I haven't played a CD in almost three years, but I do find omitting CD support profoundly strange given every other BD drive on the planet supports CDs.

Bittercup

That was my first thought as well :/

As far as I know they only confirmed no BC for PS3 so far, no CD support makes PS1 unlikely as well :( Very disappointing if that will be the case.
I wonder what the idea behind this might be. In my opinion this is a very strange decision.

Quasar

I didn't even know people made optical drives that couldn't read CDs. Thats just weird. SACD I can understand, though it saddens me.

Eusis

Anyone who still listens to CDs probably has something that plays them already.

And they should stop, it's a dead format. :p
Last I checked they still had higher sound quality than your average MP3 or AAC even if it's hard to tell for most of us especially without higher end equipment playing it, and they have the nice benefit of being region free without needing to jump through hoops. It's not like CDs completely displacing cassettes or anything here.

RiverBed

Banned
lol at CD. I's going the way of cassettes.

P.S. Come to think of it, I never put anything aside from a game disc or a movie disc in all of my Playstation systems (except the one time I was testing the feature on a PS1 back in the day). I've also hardly ever used the CD tray in any of the cars I've driven.

Diablos

I haven't played a CD in almost three years, but I do find omitting CD support profoundly strange given every other BD drive on the planet supports CDs.
Indeed. If it's just some dumb decision as a means to try and encourage people to use Music Unlimited, I get that, I suppose. If it's a suggestion as to how locked down the overall experience will be, then I'd be worried. It is strange, though, that an optical drive can't read the format that started it all.

That said, I think I may have ripped one CD to my PS3 in the past 5 years.

Linconan

Well that suck,lol, i loved ripping my CD in the PS3 and the info pops up on the screen and saves me entering the Names, Album etc.

This a sad day :(

But after all the stuff we've watched for the PS4, who cares.
USB it is then.

"They can take our BC, but they'll can never take,... my music!"
lol

Thoraxes

RIP custom soundtracks maybe unless it's probably through a different transfer method needlessly adding steps but that's okay.

Top Bottom