• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 does not support CD and SACD

I can't remember the last time I held a cd that wasn't a psx game but that is really weird.

So what about psx then? NO psx BC would be fucking retarded, everything has psx BC these days, I bet there's a toaster somewhere that can run psx games if you connect a display to it.

Diablos

btw, I guess this rules out PS1 backwards compatibility being done by hardware. I suppose they don't mind a lot of extra streaming.

Zaptruder

Banned
Strange limitation... but not one that will affect me greatly.

I just won't be loading music into the machine via CDs in order to test out the visualizer.

My main music machine will always be my PC.

I can't remember the last time I held a cd that wasn't a psx game but that is really weird.

So what about psx then? NO psx BC would be fucking retarded, everything has psx BC these days, I bet there's a toaster somewhere that can run psx games if you connect a display to it.

There is no BC whatsoever in the PS4.

Eusis

This is disheartening news. Where will I get my Alien Resurrection and Alien Trilogy fix on PS4?
. . . Those are interesting choices. And here I'm thinking of Mega Man Legend or Lunar (unless Victor Ireland pulls a miracle.)
I think they only said no PS3 BC, but given how PS2's handled on PS4 and this it seems they just want to shoot it all down unless you buy downloads off the PSN. Hopefully they aren't so brazen as to expect us to double dip, not at full price anyway.

No PS1 BC would be pretty stupid but then again I wouldn't miss it. I have BC PS2 and PS3 and I rarely use them. I'd rather just play everything on PSP or PSV. And then there is the option to use emulator on PC.

I wonder if this means the complete removal of red laser from blu-ray drives.
Cause that will also mean DVD is out.

Will not bode well in terms of an entertainment device.

Diablos

Yet another reason to hold onto my PS3. The only missing platform is PS2 which I suppose the streaming service will address (not to mention PS2 Classics on PSN for select titles; WHERE IS FINAL FANTASY X INTERNATIONAL OMG).

Eusis

They already listed DVD in the spec sheet. Which is what makes this more baffling, it really does feel arbitrary to just block out CD support (mainly for PS1 games), not unless they're being weird and only didn't list CD BECAUSE they weren't supporting it for Audio even though they'll do it for games.

One thought that came to mind is that they might want to make it so PS1 games are handled similarly to PS1 on PSP/Vita or PS2 on PS3, where every game just gets a chunk of memory that emulates the memory cards, but as they can't distinctly identify PS1 games I'm assuming they're instead just doing this.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

DVD read speed is mentioned in the spec sheet.

NQc2pYQ.png

I'll be dissapointed if there is no psx BC...

Anyone who has an emulator on their pc will know what I'm talking about.

I was hoping sony would have another go at properly emulating psx games like you can on pc.
-downsampling
-texture filtering
-smoothing sprites
-savestates

Not like it would cost them anything...

If they arbitrarily block cd to cockblock psx disc BC just so they can sell us the same games again on psn then I have a big middlefinger for Sony.
I can understand no ps3 BC because the hardware would cost money, but psx has been flawlessly software emulated for years and years and years on any random hardware.

Especially as EU user, they put up these shitty 50hz versions of PAL games on PSN than run in slowmotion, they can't even be bothered to do it right if they make you pay for it.

I already paid for ff7-8-9 , rollcage etc during the psx era and those work on my pc with a crapton of supersampling AA.

Again for those who don't understand: you can run psx emulators for free on a smartwatch now... or any random phone, or a psp with CFW, or any pc or laptop made this century.
Not allowing the ps4 to read CDs is such an arbitrary bitch move.

Unless you like to have your library on Boomkat or spread over several label stores it isn't.

I was just teasing. I still have a box full of CDs but I realized a little while ago that I have nothing to play them on properly. My 360 outputs to the TVs shitty speakers and I just use headphones on my computer (not to mention my computer has my huge MP3 collection on it).

I still remember ripping a CDRW that I burned, just to get songs onto my xbox360 HDD. And then having to manually tag each song because the xbox360 couldnt read ID3 tags.

I did this for about 3,000 songs, never again. FUCK CD. I've go FLAC for archives and 320vbr mp3s for listening.

Jockel

Something something vinyl records something lolololol.
In all seriousness, sucks for BC, but you'll probably be able to get your PS1 fix off PSN. Notwithstanding that any household should have at least 5 devices that play PSX games.

Sid

Does that mean no PS1 BC either?

The PS4 will not have any sort of native backwards compatibility.

That's my first thought. Fuck, they really may be running all the way with burning BC bridges (and by proxy trying to force us to double dip... and screw over the games that no one wants to OR CAN re-release.)

Music CDs though doesn't really matter too much, at worst you rip on PC then dump on PS4. I'm sure it'd support a thumbdrive for that, and the PC would probably do a better job anyway.

We'll they did dump SACD's from the PS3 so I'm not too surprised about that. Bit weird about CD's though, I figured they didn't have to add anything special to get that working with their BD drive and it would just take care of it....

Good point. Ugh.

Welp, that's too bad I guess.

I'm running my games on EPSXE nowadays anyway. Looks miles better.

That was my first thought as well :/

As far as I know they only confirmed no BC for PS3 so far, no CD support makes PS1 unlikely as well :( Very disappointing if that will be the case.
I wonder what the idea behind this might be. In my opinion this is a very strange decision.

Yes, I still play PS1 games on my PS3.

This is disheartening news. Where will I get my Alien Resurrection and Alien Trilogy fix on PS4?

No PS1 BC would be pretty stupid but then again I wouldn't miss it. I have BC PS2 and PS3 and I rarely use them. I'd rather just play everything on PSP or PSV. And then there is the option to use emulator on PC.
PS1 BC might still be there

Yoshida said:
"Unless, somehow, some games work on emulation," Yoshida acknowledged. "The easiest thing, technically, would be to make PS1 games work on PS4 with emulation, but we are not talking about our emulation plans as yet." PS1 games currently run through emulation on the PlayStation 3 as well as the PlayStation Vita while PlayStation 2 software has no such emulation available.

linkboy

This doesn't bother me in the slightest. CDs are a dying format. Even if I do buy a CD, I just pop it into my computer and rip it into a digital format (mainly apple lossless since I have an iPod).

As for PS1 games, the best way to play them is either on a Vita, a PSP or PSXSE. Playing them on an HDTV causes them to look 10x worse than the already do.

hodgy100

wow so you cant use your old copies of ps1 games! why not?!?! there is literally no reason not to support this!
of course they would still have compatability with psn downloaded ps1 games but this makes my disk's useless now!

damn :(

I'd have rather they omitted the Kinect style piece of shit and not skipped out on shit like CD playback. I suspect they will not have many USB ports either.

Balb

wow so you cant use your old copies of ps1 games! why not?!?! there is literally no reason not to support this!
of course they would still have compatability with psn downloaded ps1 games but this makes my disk's useless now!

damn :(

For better or worse (probably better) the people designing the PS4 aren't tied down by legacy. I'd imagine if Kutaragi was in charge it would have PS1 BC at the very least.

Bittercup

PS1 BC might still be there
Interesting quote from Yoshida. But if the PS4 can't read the discs this would probably only apply to PSN titles.
Or the PS4 can indeed read CDs if they are from PS1 games but for whatever reason can't read audio-CDs which sounds strangely artificial. Still very puzzling.

For better or worse (probably better) the people designing the PS4 aren't tied down by legacy. I'd imagine if Kutaragi was in charge it would have PS1 BC at the very least.
PS1 can be emulated completely in software and the PS4 is certainly powerful enough to do that. I don't see how PS1 BC could in any way negatively impact the design of the PS4.

No CD reading (if true and not simply no audio CD reading) would also mean no or limited PS2 support as well. Quite a few PS2 games were CD (especially in the earlier years when DVDs were relatively expensive compared to CDs).

Jonnyram

This seems like a really stupid thing to get wound up over. It's not like CD playback is a selling point of PS4, and it's not like people don't have other CD players around the house. Let's be straight here — the PS4 probably drains much more power than a bog standard CD player. If you're using a machine like this to listen to music, you're doing it wrong.

Very odd. I can understand not wanting to bother with BC (although I personally wished they could have taken Nintendo's approach to BC with previous system only), but CD? If I were picking up the system already, this isn't a gamebreaker as I have a nice HTPC, it's just a weird exclusion (plus PS3's CD player is pretty awesome)

KiteGr

Do they expect us to re-buy our MP3s from some new music store that comes with the system?
4850425810_500x_not_a_chance_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Seriously now...
Why not?! Wasn't the ability to play music in the background while gaming a cool future of Vita?

Dude psx bc would have no effect on design ...
You don't need hardware BC for psx emulation, software BC does it ten times better and pretty much anything that can run android, windows or any other OS made in the past 5 years for android and the past 10 years for pc can run psx emulation flawlessly.

Eusis

Do they expect us to re-buy our MP3s from some new music store that comes with the system?
4850425810_500x_not_a_chance_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Seriously now...
Why not?! Wasn't the ability to play music in the background while gaming a cool future of Vita?
You definitely seem to be making some egregious logic jumps. It's probably just going to require us to dump from a flash drive or something, not unless they went crazy with the security and locked it down fully. Plausible after all the hacking that hit PSP and PS3, but the PS3 hacking seemed to be much more intricate than just moving files around, certainly not music files anyway.

Oersted

Wondering why....

This seems like a really stupid thing to get wound up over. It's not like CD playback is a selling point of PS4, and it's not like people don't have other CD players around the house. Let's be straight here — the PS4 probably drains much more power than a bog standard CD player. If you're using a machine like this to listen to music, you're doing it wrong.

You know, customers having a choice isn´t that bad. And attacking them for wanting it, is just utterly pointless.

hodgy100

it wouldn't tie down anything as its all software based, its not difficult to detect a ps1 disk and from there the software emulator (which wil likely be there anyway) will take over. it seems like a deliberate attempt to force people into buying ps1 classics off of PSN

Quasar

And yet they included an analog video out. I found that really surprising myself.

Top Bottom