• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 fastest-selling console in UK history, outsells Wii U LTD in UK [250K PS4 in 48h]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Retail availability is quite poor for Bone, but the CEX markup is £145 (33% over retail price) vs £170 for PS4 (49% above retail price), which indicates it is slightly more available.

It's an interesting question though. 360, PS2, Wii and PS4 were all extremely supply restricted in the week after launch, I don't think the situation is as bad as that for the Bone, it doesn't have full retail availability, but I also think it can be found if one's determination is there, which doesn't really seem to be the case for PS4.

So, considering this, One's second week doesn't sound that good, after all.

daman824

That's because you have awful selective taste. That's your opinion and that's fine, but try to appreciate that for other gamers there are many fantastic and interesting titles being released throughout the year. Also, it's not always about having that one blockbuster titan of a game (which will come in the form of a new COD anyway), it's about having a variety of different quality games, big and small, to fill in the gaps. And the consoles, especially the PS4, definitely have that.
Definitely has a lot of small titles. But those don't sell consoles. Late 2014 and 2015 will be when things start to get interesting for the PS4.

Jeff-DSA

Sony deserves big success. I was not a fan of the PS3 at all. I had one to play the major exclusives, but I never played 3rd party games on it, and I dreaded that updates every time I turned it on. This time around, they fixed their attitude, addressed the hardware annoyances, and came in at a great price point. They are simply doing everything right. Objectively, there's no good reason why the PS4 shouldn't be the the top platform in every region.

It's lame that Super Mario 3D World is being outsold by Knack, but we all know that Europe has terrible taste, so whatever.
I kid. Do I? Yeah. Maybe.

sublimit

Banned
iMYAdMT27HSpq.gif

laugh.gif

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yep. Releasing it the same day as PS4 in UK/EU wasn't wise. The frustrating thing was this game was probably ready to go in October..

The stupid thing was they could have released it on the same day as the UK version which would have been 1 week earlier then the PS3 release in the UK. Stupid Nintendo.

R0ckman

This dude is nuts. It was NOT a fucking masterpeice. It was an above average experience but truly had flaws. I'm becoming very concerened with the gaming community in SOME cases. I feel like they want to out of habit rate this Mario game high because... Mario. The Galaxy titles were MUCH better than this, yet I feel people are trying to imply the opposite in some reviews. Many people are coming out of the woodworks down playing the Galaxy titles.

The problem has nothing to do with Knack and whether its a shit game or not, and everything to do with how people view the Mario brand.

I love that the PS4 is at such a wonderful start but if Nintendo gets pushed anymore into a corner its going to reduce the Nintendo only fanbase to this:

coffee-sylvester-cat.gif

daman824

This dude is nuts. It was NOT a fucking masterpeice. It was an above average experience but truly had flaws. I'm becoming very concerened with the gaming community in SOME cases. I feel like they want to out of habit rate this Mario game high because... Mario. The Galaxy titles were MUCH better than this, yet I feel people are trying to imply the opposite in some reviews. Many people are coming out of the woodworks down playing the Galaxy titles.

The problem has nothing to do with Knack and whether its a shit game or not, and everything to do with how people view the Mario brand.

I love that the PS4 is at such a wonderful start but if Nintendo gets pushed anymore into a corner its going to reduce the Nintendo only fanbase to this:

coffee-sylvester-cat.gif
The problem has to do with how people view the Wii U. It's not absurd to claim that the latest mario game is better than Knack by a wide margin. But Knack sold more because the PS4 sold more. Simple as that.

Played it a bunch yesterday. I thought it was way, way too easy. Mario games should be easy to pick up, but you should always get a feeling of accomplishment when you feel like you've mastered some skills. This game feels like no challenge at all.

As a result, I felt more like I was playing through to see the next cute thing happen, or to see the next sparkly thing, rather than wanting to play just because it felt so damn fun to play.

Skilletor

I don't like the Galaxy titles at all. I think Mario 3DWorld is the best Mario I've played since SNES.

Opinions.

Also, Mario not selling has nothing to do with Mario and everything to do with the Wii U. How much has 3Dland sold?

AniHawk

Played it a bunch yesterday. I thought it was way, way too easy. Mario games should be easy to pick up, but you should always get a feeling of accomplishment when you feel like you've mastered some skills. This game feels like no challenge at all.

As a result, I felt more like I was playing through to see the next cute thing happen, or to see the next sparkly thing, rather than wanting to play just because it felt so damn fun to play.

3d world starts off very unimpressive. i was thinking 'here we go again'- i figured it was the same ol' same ol' from ead tokyo after 3d land.

where it ends up is pretty amazing. i think the shift happens for most people around world 3, but for me it happened around world 4. it's a long time to ease someone into something, but the game just keeps on ramping the difficulty up to a pretty great finale.

MercuryLS

Banned
I don't like the Galaxy titles at all. I think Mario 3DWorld is the best Mario I've played since SNES.

Opinions.

Also, Mario not selling has nothing to do with Mario and everything to do with the Wii U. How much has 3Dland sold?

Does it feel more like the Mario 2D titles in gameplay? That's one thing I never liked about 3D Mario's, they always felt more like adventure games rather than hardcore platformers.

agree with you. something about me sitting in weird ways the controller not being layed out statically and the camera making the controls change galaxy always pisses me off.

3dw is a blast. great with friends too

Anth0ny

Does it feel more like the Mario 2D titles in gameplay? That's one thing I never liked about 3D Mario's, they always felt more like adventure games rather than hardcore platformers.

3d land and world are basically the 2d games in 3d. Very little "adventuring".

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's his (or their) opinion. No need to get worked up about it.

Here you go:

3D World > Galaxy

Gonna call me a nutjob too?

Skilletor

Yes, exactly. I hate 3D mario games. This is a 3D mario for people who liked the 2D games.

Elios83

Great result for PS4.
It's probably already the best selling next gen console in Europe in LTD numbers with just two days on the market :O And demand is clearly much higher than supply, they could have done much better.
Nintendo has really failed hard with the Wii U, Mario 3D has already proved not to be a system seller at all in Japan and now Europe, I don't think the US will be much different. And they bet on the title to sell 9m consoles for the fiscal year....I think that Nintendo is going to pull the plug next year on first party development and focus on what's next (probably the successor to the 3DS which can be used as a home console as well).

I didn't know Knack was bundled. At least that eases some of the pain.
Lol, I'm not that serious but yeah it does make me a bit sad.
But it's just such a bland, uncreative game. I played it for an hour and you would have to pay me to waste my time on it again. If it were up to me, the game would be called "Kack" (German for "poop").

Lol wth.

The amount of passive aggression in this thread is amazing.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It will be interesting to see continental Europe number, because PS4 in store is as rare as diamonds. New deliveries are going for people that preordered...

Papacheeks

Banned
Yup, then make TitanFall: Sigma for PS4 12 months down the line with a few extra maps and slightly different units. TitanFall 2 will be multi-platform from the outset.

Titanfall has been publicly announced for XBONE, 360, and pc only. There will not be a PS4 version. But according to Vince Zampalla Titanfall 2 will be on PS4.

traveler

Not Wario

Adventure games? The only 3d Marios that really fit that descriptor are 64 and Sunshine and even there it's a bit of a stretch. That's more appropriate as a description for Tearaway, if anything.

Xilium

The problem has to do with how people view the Wii U. It's not absurd to claim that the latest mario game is better than Knack by a wide margin. But Knack sold more because the PS4 sold more. Simple as that.

As people have stated earlier, Mario is supposed to be THE system seller. The console had NSMBU at launch and now they have a 3D Mario to go with that and it still isn't moving systems.

I personally don't think Mario is a system seller anymore (Mario Kart maybe...). Even during the previous gen, I think the system sellers for the Wii were Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart. NSMB, the Galaxy games, and Nintendo's other tent pole titles simply benefited from being the most recognizable properties on this system that was selling mad volumes.

If Mario Kart ends up being a system seller again, you'll likely see the Nintendo evergreen effect go into play for their other franchise titles but if it isn't, the Wii U will likely be dead. None of their other franchises will move units to people that aren't already Nintendo fans.

KissVibes

Banned
Look at Battlefield 3 & 4 and compare them to Bad Company, look at the Uncharted/Last of Us or at any other mainstream game. Simplicity >>>>> Deeply designed games no matter how you look at it.

Bad Company is a MUCH simpler set of games than Battlefield 3 & 4. And Battlefield 3 is a much better game than both Bad Companies on a mechanical level. Battlefield 4 is too, when it works properly. So, you should probably pick a better example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom