• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware 3.0 Features

Thank god, a few more games and I would have had to start making decision about which game would I have to delete from the cloud.

There are two types of PNG compression. PNG-24 is full lossless compression and designed for photos and screenshots. PNG-8 uses indexed colour like GIF (limited to 256 colours) and is designed for simple graphics, but with better compression and transparency support than GIF. The latter is not lossless.

But it would be pretty inexplicable for Sony to use PNG-8 here.

Yes of course, except I said that all PNG's are compressed (using DEFLATE), which is true. I didn't intend to bring up the PNG-8 and PNG-24 variants of lossy and lossless. All I was saying was PNG as a lossless compressed format is comparable to the methods used in common audio formats that encode lossless audio data compression.

Really hope more recording options will be on the way.

720p/60fps
1080p/30fps
1080p/60fps

Or at the very least give us better / less compression on the 720p videos, as there are plenty of 720p clips on YouTube that look nice and sharp, yet PS4 clips look fuzzy in comparison.

How can we show off our great looking games if the videos are heavily compressed and fuzzy?

Really hope more recording options will be on the way.

720p/60fps
1080p/30fps
1080p/60fps

Or at the very least give us better / less compression on the 720p videos, as there are plenty of 720p clips on YouTube that look nice and sharp, yet PS4 clips look fuzzy in comparison.

How can we show off our great looking games if the videos are heavily compressed and fuzzy?

I wouldnt expect 1080p/60fps for recordings...

And man i was hoping for a redesign or something for the Ui.

MaKTaiL

How is the YouTube Streaming quality? Anyone tried yet? Post a link here if you are streaming right now. (YouTube Gaming doesn't have a PS4 dedicated section yet).

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
All this talk about making sure you back up your system is putting me off a bit. I've got a 2TB hard drive so I can't really back up everything.

Oh is that what it was? Well, that sucks, hopefully they can do that (and 1080p would be nice too).
My Elgato HD (normal one, not the HD60) is becoming less and less useful.

PS4 PNGs are better quality.
External capture cards will never be irrelevant. Even the original Elgato HD is still very useful because you can create video and stream overlays, control live commentary, export to a variety of formats, and record in 1080p (I don't see the benefit for recording in 60fps over 30fps).

I hope this firmware is out before the end of October publicly. Being able to create communities for anything will be great, especially for clans. Is there a limit on how many communities you can be in or how many friend groups you can make?

I'm not in the beta so how does the community thing work? Can anyone just make a group? Who moderates it?

Would of preferred custom grouping of Friends like how Google+ does with circles (like co-workers, close friends, etc..)

I wouldnt expect 1080p/60fps for recordings...

And man i was hoping for a redesign or something for the Ui.

Hopefully. As the the UI, well more changes will come in the future so you never know. I personally don't have a big issue with it, but there are definitely some things that could be improved with it.

FireCloud

All this talk about making sure you back up your system is putting me off a bit. I've got a 2TB hard drive so I can't really back up everything.

I image it is standard procedure since this is a beta...so it's not fully cooked yet.

What region are you in?

bombshell

I'm not in the beta so how does the community thing work? Can anyone just make a group? Who moderates it?

Would of preferred custom grouping of Friends like how Google+ does with circles (like co-workers, close friends, etc..)

That's in too and is different from communities.

Favourite Groups: Favourite Groups has been added to the Friends app, letting you add new or existing groups as a Favorite Group and quickly access groups of people you like to play games with frequently. This will make the process of getting a game session up and running even easier.

MaKTaiL

You have both options in this update. You can group friends as well as join a Community (or many).

Alej

Banned
I've made a GAF community for RocketLeague (UTC+1 timezone as I'm french). If anyone is interested to come in!

I hope we see cool updates for communities.

Can you have moderators and have spoiler tags, or subforums, or kick people out/ban them?

Also, does anyone have pics of the stickers? I wonder if we can use them in Rocket League

MaKTaiL

Can users post topics and share screenshots/videos on the Community?

EDIT

This guy is currently streaming with the comment section on screen. Apparently comments are not working on YouTube yet. Either that or there's a huge delay between the stream and live because I've been waiting for minutes to see my comment up there.

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=J5HeZddhfKc

d9b

Banned
If I download BETA and update to 3.0 will I lose my digital games? (don't fancy downloading again)
Is it going to format my drive? Thanks in advance.

Mr Moose

If I download BETA and update to 3.0 will I lose my digital games? (don't fancy downloading again)
Is it going to format my drive? Thanks in advance.

Nope, mine are all there. Though you are meant to back up saves or anything you might want to keep in case something goes wrong.

Top Bottom